PDA

View Full Version : New iPod game.

MacBytes
Feb 27, 2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Games
Link: Namco Unveils Ms. Pac-Man on iTunes Store (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070227141214)
Description:: Namco Networks announced the availability of Ms. PAC-MAN on the iTunes Store (www.itunes.com) for fans to purchase and download for play on the fifth generation iPod.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

floam
Feb 27, 2007, 02:03 PM

psycoswimmer
Feb 27, 2007, 02:07 PM
Looks like they have a new game!

Sadly, I waited all this time only to receive Ms. PacMan. =(

Well that's exciting. :rolleyes:

poopooplatter
Feb 27, 2007, 02:08 PM
Does it come with a time machine, so I can go back to a time when I would be interested in playing this?

LimeiBook86
Feb 27, 2007, 02:19 PM
The original Pac-Man is fun to play on the iPod, I can see this being fun also. Next time I get an iTunes gift card I'll probably purchase this. Just another thing to keep me busy ;) :D

Lone Deranger
Feb 27, 2007, 02:24 PM
Excellent! :) Now here's a developer/publisher I want to see producing games for iPod/iPhone. Screw (contemporary) EA, bring on the likes of Namco, Konami, Treasure, Midway, Hudson, etc.

CANEHDN
Feb 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
Lame. Mac news these days sure is lacking. I'm getting bored of it.

zblaxberg
Feb 27, 2007, 02:36 PM
maybe apple will finally get into some serious game development and who knows maybe they already have some that are developed...p.s. i love pacman

Rychiar
Feb 27, 2007, 02:37 PM
damn my boring iPod photo and its inability to aquire new games....so not fair considering what i paid for it...:mad:

shiunn
Feb 27, 2007, 02:38 PM
dang, i need to get an ipod so i can play this game

mattscott306
Feb 27, 2007, 02:42 PM
My day has OFFICIALLY been made.

emotion
Feb 27, 2007, 02:44 PM
meh, buy a DS.

(nano owner :) )

mozmac
Feb 27, 2007, 02:50 PM
It's interesting to see how the markets are starting to merge. Video game developers are starting integrate media features into their system, while Apple is taking its top media project and integrating video games into it. With over 80 million iPods, Apple has plenty of pockets to tap into and provide content for.

mdriftmeyer
Feb 27, 2007, 02:53 PM
It's always a fun game. I wish Game companies would release arcade systems like they once did for the Pubs, Bowling Alleys, Pizza Joints, etc., that are kiosks with upgradeable systems that could even be done via a secure wireless update.

Playing Defenders or other games on an iPod doesn't seem to make sense.

Having a beer or pop/soda while standing in front of the arcade machine is part of the experience lost in today's compact game consoles.

DTphonehome
Feb 27, 2007, 02:55 PM
Does it come with a time machine, so I can go back to a time when I would be interested in playing this?

Don't tell me, you're one of those teenage kids who thinks that whatever was released last week is the be-all-end-all of video game greatness. Sorry to break it to you, but some of the greatest games ever created are from the 80's and early 90's. Sure, the graphics and sound are vastly better today, but the gameplay often sucks. The crazy pixel-pumping power of today's machines is supposed to distract you from the fundamental problem of poor gameplay.

I'm always amazed at how much FUN the primitive machines can be, and how much effort went into extracting every last ounce of hardware capability. I have a Wii, and I love it, but I spend much of my time playing classic NES and SNES games in the virtual console. I'm a huge Ms. Pacman fan, but I'm a bit of a purist and won't play it on anything but a stand-up arcade. Doesn't have the same feel without the joystick and vertically-oriented monitor!

wordmunger
Feb 27, 2007, 02:56 PM
How would the controls for that game work? I only have a shuffle, but it seems to me that you really need a joystick to play Ms. Pac Man.

DTphonehome
Feb 27, 2007, 02:57 PM
It's always a fun game. I wish Game companies would release arcade systems like they once did for the Pubs, Bowling Alleys, Pizza Joints, etc., that are kiosks with upgradeable systems that could even be done via a secure wireless update.

Playing Defenders or other games on an iPod doesn't seem to make sense.

Having a beer or pop/soda while standing in front of the arcade machine is part of the experience lost in today's compact game consoles.

Behold, I present to you: Arcade Nirvana! (http://www.hammacher.com/publish/10648.asp)

(But it's missing Ms. Pacman)

How would the controls for that game work? I only have a shuffle...

Well, you'll probably have some trouble playing iPod games on your shuffle :D

SkyBell
Feb 27, 2007, 03:09 PM
So.. what's the differnce between Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man? (I love the classics, but I never understood the differnce..)

juanm
Feb 27, 2007, 03:13 PM
"The first 30 years were only the beginning..."

And now, Pacman...

:rolleyes:

No offense intended, I'm sure the next announcments are gonna be huge... I just needed to exhaust all my annoyance after a hard day at work.

Be happy, be :apple:

quigleybc
Feb 27, 2007, 03:17 PM
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!!!!

shidoshi
Feb 27, 2007, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately, most people who love Ms. Pac-man know that the game is only truly great when you're playing the speed hacked version. For some unknown reason, Namco refuses to let people change the speed settings on anything other than the arcade releases.

Thus, the recent Xbox Live Arcade of Ms. Pac-man was rendered almost worthless, and no doubt this version is as well.

psycoswimmer
Feb 27, 2007, 03:26 PM
damn my boring iPod photo and its inability to aquire new games....so not fair considering what i paid for it...:mad:

I paid something like $399 for my 30GB photo. I couldn't call my iPod boring though, I mean, it was the first iPod to have a color screen!

keysersoze
Feb 27, 2007, 03:27 PM
So.. what's the differnce between Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man? (I love the classics, but I never understood the differnce..)

Different maze layouts, levels, she has a bow, music.

So, not much, really.

DTphonehome
Feb 27, 2007, 03:28 PM
Unfortunately, most people who love Ms. Pac-man know that the game is only truly great when you're playing the speed hacked version.

Agreed!

guzhogi
Feb 27, 2007, 03:30 PM
Don't tell me, you're one of those teenage kids who thinks that whatever was released last week is the be-all-end-all of video game greatness. Sorry to break it to you, but some of the greatest games ever created are from the 80's and early 90's. Sure, the graphics and sound are vastly better today, but the gameplay often sucks. The crazy pixel-pumping power of today's machines is supposed to distract you from the fundamental problem of poor gameplay.

I'm always amazed at how much FUN the primitive machines can be, and how much effort went into extracting every last ounce of hardware capability. I have a Wii, and I love it, but I spend much of my time playing classic NES and SNES games in the virtual console. I'm a huge Ms. Pacman fan, but I'm a bit of a purist and won't play it on anything but a stand-up arcade. Doesn't have the same feel without the joystick and vertically-oriented monitor!

I totally agree. One of my favorite games of all time was "Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade". Terrible graphics & sound, but really fun!

synth3tik
Feb 27, 2007, 03:36 PM
oh good, Ms. Pac-Man was always so much more fun then Pac-man

dvader
Feb 27, 2007, 03:36 PM
It must be a slow week at MacRumors.

fixyourthinking
Feb 27, 2007, 03:38 PM
Does anyone know if these games are using a special iPod programming language or if they are essentially MAME ports? You can already play tons of old arcade games through iPodLinux using MAME.

fixyourthinking
Feb 27, 2007, 03:40 PM

Use iPodLinux

poopooplatter
Feb 27, 2007, 03:40 PM
Don't tell me, you're one of those teenage kids who thinks that whatever was released last week is the be-all-end-all of video game greatness.

Wrong.

Several classic games stack up to recent games. Ms PacMan isn't one of them.

ghall
Feb 27, 2007, 03:48 PM
Is this supposed to make up for the :apple: TV delay? I think not. :mad:

chubad
Feb 27, 2007, 03:49 PM
WOW! The announcement we have all been waiting for. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Between this and an iPhone commercial I've had just about enough excitement for today. I need to lie down.:D

mainstreetmark
Feb 27, 2007, 04:13 PM
Apple is only allowing select developers to develop and release games for the iPod.

This is the crap that scares me regarding the future of the iPhone, and indeed, my opinion of Apple as a non-evil company.

I wonder why they can't see how good Xcode, and indy developers, has been for the Mac platform. A truly extensible iPod (iPhone) would change the universe.

shalghamz
Feb 27, 2007, 04:14 PM
Ms. Pacman is a whore. My friend knows a guy who knows Pacman and he says she cheats on him with Mario, Donkey Kong, and Kirby (Kirby-MsPacman Sex...mmmmm). I'm banning this game.

Oh :apple: , when will you let me hold something that I can be excited about again (i can't hold the iPhone yet, I can't hold appleTV yet, I can't hold on to Leopard yet...I can't hold on to fun ideas of things that may come out because they're nonexistent)?

Why so much frustration? More on that later.

Whistleway
Feb 27, 2007, 04:17 PM
WOW! The announcement we have all been waiting for. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Between this and an iPhone commercial I've had just about enough excitement for today. I need to lie down.:D

haha.. had me cracking :)

cbud
Feb 27, 2007, 04:20 PM

Yeah, I feel bad for people who bought that too. How many months after that was the video released? 9?

Frisco
Feb 27, 2007, 04:28 PM
I wonder how the play is; I read that Pac Man for iPod got bad reviews because of the controls. I'll give it a shot though.

My favorite iPod game is Zuma. I also like Bejeweled.

SMacDuff
Feb 27, 2007, 04:29 PM
I heard she likes to cruise the streets alot as well. I'm not at liberty to mention my source's name but the person in question apparently works for DigiTimes. :P

Ms. Pacman is a whore. My friend knows a guy who knows Pacman and he says she cheats on him with Mario, Donkey Kong, and Kirby (Kirby-MsPacman Sex...mmmmm). I'm banning this game.

Oh :apple: , when will you let me hold something that I can be excited about again (i can't hold the iPhone yet, I can't hold appleTV yet, I can't hold on to Leopard yet...I can't hold on to fun ideas of things that may come out because they're nonexistent)?

Why so much frustration? More on that later.

aranhamo
Feb 27, 2007, 04:29 PM
I totally agree. One of my favorite games of all time was "Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade". Terrible graphics & sound, but really fun!

Empire was a great game. Not arcade though, PC. And Silent Service was great; NES game I think. Are there any good submarine games nowadays?

I sunk a ton of quarters into Double Dragon and Contra. And we used to walk down to the grocery store when I was a kid to play Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. Good times.

thejadedmonkey
Feb 27, 2007, 04:33 PM
this makes me wanna go to the arcade now...
But I don't know where there are any in Philly :(
Oh well, I live in the middle of nowhere and know where there's one, $6.00/hour too

nagromme
Feb 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
Lame. Mac news these days sure is lacking. I'm getting bored of it.

Sometimes weeks at a time pass without a revolutionary new Macintosh line. Check out some Dell news to pass the time :)

This is the crap that scares me regarding the future of the iPhone, and indeed, my opinion of Apple as a non-evil company.

I wonder why they can't see how good Xcode, and indy developers, has been for the Mac platform. A truly extensible iPod (iPhone) would change the universe.

Definitely true--but there are two approaches and I think BOTH have merit:

1. Make a platform. Let anybody develop for it, and let it take off AS a platform.

2. Make an appliance. Let only selected developers write manufacturer-approved additions to that appliance's functionality.

The advantages of #1 are clear--more variety, the sky is the limit on what the thing can do. BUT, tempering that, is the fact that not everything can be done well on a small screen device anyway. (An iPhone could never be a full Mac for instance.) And #1 opens your device up to instabilty. Just like with a computer, adding things can have side-effects. Even if the the app you add only fails on its own without breaking anything else, it's still a failure on the device.

But #2, the appliance route--like the iPod--brings the advantage of stability. Far less complexity to support, and far fewer failures/freezes/crashes. Your device now has LIMITED extensibility, but it does "just work." Not like a computer (usually) "just works," but like an iPod "just works." And in addition, Apple only has to support a limited set of apps when/if they want to upgrade to iPhone's underlying system or bring out new models. They don't have to waste time (and add complexity to the system) worrying about what might break. (And yes, Apple could just say "we don't support third-party apps, tough luck"--but that's not entirely a positive user experience.)

So, which one is the right path? Apple has chosen #2, and I can't disagree. Some people may prefer #1--I might prefer that myself--but #2 isn't evil, it provides a better product in many ways.

I think when it comes down to it, most people in the world would be better served by #2, the reliable appliance approach. Because this is a phone and comm/media appliance first and foremost, not a computer. (Though we can hope for real mini-tablets one day.)

That doesn't mean we won't see a lot of approved apps--it's too early to say.

Yeah, I feel bad for people who bought that too. How many months after that was the video released? 9?

I bought one (iPod Photo). But when I did, I did not feel Apple made me any promise not to release even better iPods for a year. In fact, with technology, you can always assume ANY product will have something better coming along. Eventually you have to bite the bullet and buy something.

Consolation: the people who bought a video iPod will be frustrated when something else comes along :) And THOSE people will be too... there's no escaping.

phillipjfry
Feb 27, 2007, 04:41 PM
I heard she likes to cruise the streets alot as well. I'm not at liberty to mention my source's name but....

No need to. Your criminal record speaks for itself :p

pale9
Feb 27, 2007, 04:44 PM
hey, i loved to play pac man and all that way back in the 80's but thats all apple can come up with in the year 2007?!

maybe if they let the market operate the way it should, somebody would come up with some new killer games! what a concept!

nagromme
Feb 27, 2007, 04:46 PM
hey, i loved to play pac man and all that way back in the 80's but thats all apple can come up with in the year 2007?!

maybe if they let the market operate the way it should, somebody would come up with some new killer games! what a concept!

Actually, Apple does have a mix of old and new games. Old games may sell well, so why not offer them if some people (not you) want them? But they're not all Apple can come with. And they're not all that's coming. EA and others are at work on more, they have said.

billystlyes
Feb 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
Apple has given us so little to talk about lately. I wish we had more to talk about than a game from the 80's.:mad:

kalisphoenix
Feb 27, 2007, 04:55 PM

Ah, an old-school vs. new-school flamefest. This should be slightly more interesting than shaving your mother's back...
*gets banned for that comment*

Nothing personal, but you're probably amazed at how much FUN breeding simple organisms in your belly button can be.

Ms. Pacman is not the most interesting game ever invented. Not only that, but Pacman is the second game (after Tetris) to be ported to every platform under the sun. Most of us have played Pacman in the arcade, at home on a console, on a cell phone, on their calculator. I'm willing to bet that someone, somewhere, has ported Linux to a stewed gerbil salad and immediately booted it up so that they could compile and play @#$%ing GNU Pacperson on it.

I'll play Donkey Kong. I'll play Jumpman, Missile Command, Kung Fu, Wizard of Wor, Moon Patrol, any platform game, and any of a thousand other little games that I've wasted time on. I'll even play Custer's Revenge, just because it reminds me of my family reunions. But I'm @#$%ing sick of Pacman.

4np
Feb 27, 2007, 05:03 PM
They can keep pacman, it would be cool if they ported the old sierra and lucasarts adventures to the iPod. I would really like to play Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion on my iPod ;)

pubwvj
Feb 27, 2007, 05:06 PM
It is most unfortunate that Apple is so closed about about development of iPod games, applications, etc. Same on the iPhone. They are completely missing the boat. Open up the development and developers will come. Sure, there will be junk, but the good stuff floats to the top. A closed platform is limited and mildly interesting. An open platform is wonderful. This is something Handspring/Palm got ever so right.

pale9
Feb 27, 2007, 05:12 PM
Apple has given us so little to talk about lately. I wish we had more to talk about than a game from the 80's.:mad:

yes, i agree. like being frozen in time. waiting for someone (something?):confused: to rescue us from suspended animation.

pale9
Feb 27, 2007, 05:14 PM

lazyrighteye
Feb 27, 2007, 05:25 PM
Seriously: who rates the addition of Ms. Pac-man to the iPod's gaming library as a negative? I can't decide if that's more funny or sad.

Sure, I too am more interested in other offerings from Apple, but see little justification for voting this particular story a negative.

I guess I'd rather have a Ms. Pac-man offering than not.

TC2COOL
Feb 27, 2007, 05:30 PM
Ms. PacMan, Mr. PacMan... Fine. I wish I cared, but then, I'm a Nano owner.

mazola
Feb 27, 2007, 05:30 PM
Call me when they release Pac-Land (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Land)

LaDirection
Feb 27, 2007, 05:34 PM
Ms Pac-Man was better, so I'll get this, but let me say that I'm really disapointed that with so few titles available, 2 games were already remade! (Solitaire, Pac-Man). I mean, come on, a little more variety please.

Zuma and Tetris still rules.

donlphi
Feb 27, 2007, 05:42 PM
What on EARTH would I clutter up my iPOD with that for? Why are they releasing THAT now? Not even pac-man... MS. PAC-MAN... good god!

I agree with the comment above... buy a DS if you wanna play games.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am drained from all the RUMORS. I think they are starting to backfire. I just want an Apple product that is available TODAY, that will KNOCK MY SOCKS OFF.

There was a rumor of a FEB. 20 product release date, but nothing happened. Now there is a delay on APPLE TV, which is probably going to be lacking many cool features. A video version of the APPLE Hi-Fi (a.k.a. the biggest let-down of last year). The only difference is, at least with the APPLE Hi-Fi, it wasn't hyped up for months on end. WOW... a router with a video connection. HOW INOVATIVE.

I think I'm just in a bad mood because I have a parent/teacher night tonight... I'm the teacher.:rolleyes:

shidoshi
Feb 27, 2007, 05:44 PM
So, not much, really.

Incorrect - comparatively, the games are hugely different. The two biggest changes were the move from a single maze layout to multiple maze layouts, and more importantly, the change from ghosts that mode in set patterns to ghosts that have a level of randomization to them. That second change was a huge difference, because with the original Pac-man, skilled player could memorize level patterns that would guarantee success.

As well, the bonus fruits were changed from staying in a static location to moving on their own around the maze.

Also, for those who are dogging the game, Ms. Pac-Man is easily one of the most popular "classic" games out there. So, you know, while you may not care, a lot of people do.

zwida
Feb 27, 2007, 05:46 PM
It is most unfortunate that Apple is so closed about about development of iPod games, applications, etc. Same on the iPhone. They are completely missing the boat. Open up the development and developers will come. Sure, there will be junk, but the good stuff floats to the top. A closed platform is limited and mildly interesting. An open platform is wonderful. This is something Handspring/Palm got ever so right.

Right, but it's only a good decision if it actually furthers Apple's goals or makes them more money than NOT opening the platform. Palm had some very cool stuff, but its stock remains one of the worst investments I've ever made. Apple is secretive and slow and extremely cautious, but it's hard to say that it's not an exceedingly well run organization (and great investment).

donlphi
Feb 27, 2007, 05:47 PM

You talking about the graphic text adventure or the action game?

Best games ever:

1. Maniac Mansion
2. Zak McKracken: The Alien Mindbenders
3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Gotta love lucasart games... Why can't we get those war-horses? I guess you really need a mouse.

bigwig
Feb 27, 2007, 05:47 PM
One thing that's really noticeable in the early days of video games is how innovative everybody was. Many, many different styles of play were tried, as some sort of grand experiment. You'd never see anything like Qbert or Crystal Castles today. There's pretty much nothing but 3-D martials arts mashups in the arcades these days, and that, plus 3-D strategy games, seem to be the only thing left for the home.

chuckzee
Feb 27, 2007, 05:48 PM
Who gives a crap about a game that I can play on just about any system if I really wanted to.

Wake me up when the Ms."powerbook g5" Pacman comes out.

bigwig
Feb 27, 2007, 05:51 PM
Different maze layouts, levels, she has a bow, music.

So, not much, really.
Pac-Man had "patterns" you could use to defeat each level, up to the 9th key where it stayed the same forever. The patterns varied depending on which chip revision was in the machine; later machines tried to use more adaptive ghosts in order to defeat pattern use. Ms. Pac-Man had no effective patterns, as far as I know.

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 27, 2007, 05:54 PM
Well that's exciting. :rolleyes:LOL:D I was going to say its over priced. Apple and its games, how many decades ago was this out? Apple, as a long time user I just cant say how disappointed I have been with Apple and what they have done to the computer line, the video card and Mac Gaming in whole. They should be ashamed.
Wee Ms Pac Man:rolleyes:

nagromme
Feb 27, 2007, 06:23 PM
Apple should never release ANY product other than EXACTLY the ones I want. If they release anything that other people want but I don't, then they have gone right down the toilet! :mad: It just goes to show you how Apple hasn't done anything really new that I personally want for at least 17 days! It's sad to see what Apple has come to :(

PS, what I want, to be specific, is Lode Runner. A game isn't bad because it's simple--in fact, that makes it suitable for iPod. And a game isn't bad because it's old--retro games are one type of game that some people actually do want. I don't feel Apple has done wrong by meeting that demand. I feel they have done wrong by keeping me from my Lode Runner! :)

Who gives a crap about a game that I can play on just about any system if I really wanted to.
The iPod should only have exclusive games that people aren't familiar with? :confused:

One reason people might want a game on their iPod even if there ARE other ways to play it is... because they already happen to have their iPod in their pocket, not their computer :)

chuckzee
Feb 27, 2007, 06:40 PM
The iPod should only have exclusive games that people aren't familiar with? :confused:

One reason people might want a game on their iPod even if there ARE other ways to play it is... because they already happen to have their iPod in their pocket, not their computer :)[/QUOTE]

Really, I might be a purist but unless the games are of at least PSP quality. iPods should stick with what they do best. I mean 5 bucks? come on. been out so long it should be free.

dvader
Feb 27, 2007, 06:44 PM

Wake me up when the Ms."powerbook g5" Pacman comes out.
But this PacMan runs on C2D.

nagromme
Feb 27, 2007, 06:47 PM
Really, I might be a purist but unless the games are of at least PSP quality. iPods should stick with what they do best. I mean 5 bucks? come on. been out so long it should be free.

It may be, however--just a theory--that not all people want exactly the same things. It's possible that while SOME people demand to carry a bulky PSP with $20 games, OTHER people are fine with "casual" games, that don't require carrying any additional devices beyond what they already carry :)

(Granted, $4.99 is a LOT of money. You could buy part of a pizza for that. Anyone who chooses to pay more than $3.99 for a casual portable game is getting ripped off :) )

dejo
Feb 27, 2007, 07:27 PM
I wonder how the play is; I read that Pac Man for iPod got bad reviews because of the controls. I'll give it a shot though.
Yeah, I didn't like the Pac Man way of inputting which direction you wanted to go. You used the scroll-wheel to turn the "joystick" in the direction you wanted to head. So if you were moving right and wanted to suddenly go left (like that would ever happen in Pac Man! ;) ), you had to scroll your way halfway around the wheel rather than just tap the left part of the wheel. I believe this was done to preserve the Menu always taking you to the menu. But in Sudoku, they added a up-down-left-right input mode when you could tap these directions to move the cursor. I am very interested to hear which of these two approaches the new Ms. Pac Man takes (or if it supports both!)

wordmunger
Feb 27, 2007, 07:33 PM
Well, you'll probably have some trouble playing iPod games on your shuffle :D

Yes. I was actually curious as to how people with compatible iPods would play Ms. Pac-Man, since they don't have joysticks either.

The ideal "vintage" game for an iPod would be Tempest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(arcade_game)). Now that would be fun! And the scroll wheel would be the perfect controller.

macmax77
Feb 27, 2007, 08:25 PM
Apple should start developing 2007 games instead of old fart's games

shawnce
Feb 27, 2007, 08:37 PM
Yes. I was actually curious as to how people with compatible iPods would play Ms. Pac-Man, since they don't have joysticks either.

The ideal "vintage" game for an iPod would be Tempest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(arcade_game)). Now that would be fun! And the scroll wheel would be the perfect controller.

They have Vortex (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewRoom?fcId=214182395&pageType=playlists&id=35) which is basically a flasher version of Tempest with a slightly different twist.

stephenli
Feb 27, 2007, 08:43 PM
"The first 30 years were only the beginning..."
And now, Pacman...
No offense intended, I'm sure the next announcments are gonna be huge... I just needed to exhaust all my annoyance after a hard day at work.
Be happy, be :apple:

yes. the next announcement may be.....SPACE INVADERS
haha

keysersoze
Feb 27, 2007, 09:02 PM
Also, for those who are dogging the game, Ms. Pac-Man is easily one of the most popular "classic" games out there. So, you know, while you may not care, a lot of people do.

Yeah, and they all live in their mom's basement. :rolleyes:

GregA2
Feb 27, 2007, 09:03 PM
So.. what's the differnce between Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man?

Well, SHE has a BOW on her head... :D

Mgkwho
Feb 27, 2007, 09:03 PM
give us a new computer!

Apple has not updated their computer line in four months. The only product releases have been airport extreme and the colored shuffles.

UGH

-=|Mgkwho

colocolo
Feb 27, 2007, 09:05 PM
Nagromme - both your posts hit the nail in the head.

I hope people will gain perspective after that and at least hesitate before complaining :)

It seems some people would rather have nothing released today than something they didn't want... how absurd

MrSmith
Feb 27, 2007, 09:09 PM
In the early 80s I invested my coins in the Phoenix (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9004) machine that graced our JCR. (Crappy Java version (http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/80s_games/phoenix.htm).) If we're taking the retro road, a full-size, exact copy of that would be interesting.

Shoot me, but IMHO Pacman was and is the most boring game ever...

Chupa Chupa
Feb 27, 2007, 09:19 PM
It's a good thing Apple only licenses select companies the right to make games for the edgy iPod or we'd end up with a bunch of also-ran 80's games. Hey wait a minute...D'oh! (I can't wait until they port Atari's version of E.T.)

Eric5h5
Feb 27, 2007, 09:32 PM
But this PacMan runs on C2D.

It runs on an iPod. iPods do not use Core2Duos. :rolleyes: They don't use Intel CPUs at all, actually.

To anyone who doesn't like this: get over yourself. The world doesn't revolve around you. True, I wouldn't buy this game either (possibly because I don't own an iPod ;) ), but you won't see me whining and complaining about it...I save my whining and complaining for something that actually deserves it....

--Eric

La Porta
Feb 27, 2007, 09:42 PM
Definitely true--but there are two approaches and I think BOTH have merit:

1. Make a platform. Let anybody develop for it, and let it take off AS a platform.

2. Make an appliance. Let only selected developers write manufacturer-approved additions to that appliance's functionality.

So very true. It all has to do with Job's mentality, i'm sure of it. You can go way back to the Apple II/Mac days. Jobs purposely created the compact Mac and had it sealed off from the world because of the way that home-made expansion boards for the Apple II, etc. could fry and ruin an entire machine. The same applies for why only developers X, Y, and Z are allowed to put certain things on certain devices. It isn't "evil"...no more evil than not allowing cards for early Macintoshes. It is to protect that average Joe who doesn't know beans about anything from messing up his stuff. Sure, some people know what they are doing, how to program, what works and what doesn't. But you guys are a fraction of the general population - the latter being the group that buys most of these things. If you want to hack, then good times and more power to you. The point is that Apple does this so that we can all enjoy the hassle-free operation that we all take for granted. Anything thing less would be the equivalent of Windows.

floam
Feb 27, 2007, 09:44 PM

La Porta
Feb 27, 2007, 09:47 PM
Terrible analogy. They were begging for third-party developers back then. They knew they needed software.

That's a good, valid point...except I said absolutely nothing about software from back then.

synth3tik
Feb 27, 2007, 10:00 PM
I was about to buy it before I left for work, but decided I should get some work done, cuz all you people need you iPods so you can play Ms. Pac-Man.

Clive At Five
Feb 27, 2007, 10:17 PM
Awesome. Now where's "Escape Velocity?"

-Clive

donlphi
Feb 27, 2007, 10:36 PM
Okay... I was bitchin' before because they released Ms. Pac-Man (which should be called Pac-Woman anyway... ), but I didn't realize Pac-Man was already on there. Good god? What were they thinking?

They should have got Galaga on that SOB. Now that would be perfect considering the controls.

Tapper? Frogger? Eggomania? Mechanical Arm Wrestler (would need a giant arm accessory)?

What are you waiting for? Let's get some quality control before the Zune comes out with a version of Donkey Kong Jr. that blows our mind!

:D

MrSmith
Feb 27, 2007, 11:24 PM
...The world doesn't revolve around you...
But the sun does shine out of my arse. ;)

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 28, 2007, 12:17 AM
I think that Apple should really update the iTunes software so that games can be played on the computer itself. That would seriously make my day.

I wish Apple was able to get deals from more developers and break out the classic goodness. Oh what a wonderful world it would be if one could buy something like Sonic the Hedgehog or Super Mario Bros and play it on the computer. One can dream :(

Playing Tetris or PacMan on my iPod is fun (especially tetris the controls are great), but I'd really like to be able to play these games with my keyboard.

floam
Feb 28, 2007, 12:31 AM

Eric5h5
Feb 28, 2007, 12:50 AM
I think that Apple should really update the iTunes software so that games can be played on the computer itself.

Yeah, that would require a complete hardware emulator, since Macs (and PCs) aren't remotely compatible with the iPod in any way, from a platform perspective. Not ever gonna happen, at least not from Apple.

--Eric

floam
Feb 28, 2007, 03:01 AM

koobcamuk
Feb 28, 2007, 03:32 AM

Don't you DARE forget Sonic. He was - I mean IS - awesome.

bleachthru
Feb 28, 2007, 03:35 AM
I think that Apple should really update the iTunes software so that games can be played on the computer itself. That would seriously make my day.

I wish Apple was able to get deals from more developers and break out the classic goodness. Oh what a wonderful world it would be if one could buy something like Sonic the Hedgehog or Super Mario Bros and play it on the computer. One can dream :(

Playing Tetris or PacMan on my iPod is fun (especially tetris the controls are great), but I'd really like to be able to play these games with my keyboard.

ummm....don't know how to tell you this but there is a slew of emulators available that run under OSX...all the above games you mentioned are indeed quite fun to play on my laptop to kill a bit of time wherever I might be. The keyboard controls are fine for Atari, NES, SNES, and SEGA emulators...they are a little more difficult with the N64 emulators though.

kalisphoenix
Feb 28, 2007, 07:07 AM
If that is true then you were completely off-topic in your reply to the post you quoted. He is talking about software. The discussion at that point was about Apple keeping the iPod as a closed platform with regard to these games.

That's not "off-topic." He was likening the iPod's closed software platform to the original Mac's closed hardware platform, and explaining that they shared an underlying strategy that we all know is consistent with Jobs' design and operating practices over the past thirty years.

Not that you'll understand, but I'll make an analogy. Let's say that you decide to take apart your Mac. You see a lot of wires and electronics that you don't recognize or understand -- all you understand about your computer is the keyboard and the monitor. You think that perhaps its some sort of alien being that has been incubated within your machine, and has to be destroyed before it infects someone else's computer. You rip and tear and smite the components... but then you wonder why your computer doesn't work.

In this case, you are wandering into a conversation without even the slightest comprehension of what the involved parties are actually discussing. You see parts of it, and you think you know what's at work, so you start flailing around wildly, laying waste to the average applied IQ of the thread's posts. But in the end, you only look like an imbecile incapable of comprehending the simplest connections between concepts.

tjcampbell
Feb 28, 2007, 07:12 AM

That's funny! Nice one.

a456
Feb 28, 2007, 07:24 AM

At the time these games were first about not only were a lot of us much younger with time, energy and money to waste but they were games that stretched the hardware available. I know full well the argument that with modern games being so sprawling and demanding so much time that some players yearn for the simplicity and pick-upable and put-downable games of old, but isn't it time that games were written that utilized the unique iPod interface and that demonstrate what an iPod with 80gb of hard-drive can really do? A game that Thinks Different. :apple:

jemeinc
Feb 28, 2007, 07:49 AM

Yes, it's true.. But I'm the REAL father of Ms. Pac Man's baby- not Donkey Kong, or Super Mario.. I'd like to submit a DNA..;-)

ijimk
Feb 28, 2007, 08:50 AM
it would be kool if these ipod games worked on the itv/apple tv what ever its called now lol. :apple:

hayesk
Feb 28, 2007, 10:41 AM

No but I hear it comes with a self-esteem adjustor, so you can enjoy playing a game because it is fun, not because it is the "latest and greatest". ;)

donlphi
Feb 28, 2007, 10:57 AM
No but I hear it comes with a self-esteem adjustor, so you can enjoy playing a game because it is fun, not because it is the "latest and greatest". ;)

FUN?

"Guys! Look at my high score. I ate the most dots without touching a ghost 3 times."

"Neato KaBeato!"

"Now look, I'm doing the same thing, but this time I have a ribbon on my head and Ms. Pac-Man's sensual curves are a distraction, making the game a little more difficult."

THIS IS FUN! For $5, this is a steal. :rolleyes:

Gasu E.
Feb 28, 2007, 11:23 AM
Ms. Pacman is a whore.

Pacman has no hands and therefore cannot type, so I'm taking dictation for him:

Pacman: Shut up about my wife, you %#$#^ shalghamz!!! Soon as I swallow a power pellet, I'm coming after your butt!!!!!!

FoxyKaye
Feb 28, 2007, 11:23 AM
It's cute seeing all the old 8-Bit stuff re-hashed for modern devices - I absolutely lost the capacity to use modern arcade games sometime around 1992 (when they added like 30 buttons and two joysticks). I think it's the right game for the right platforms - I mean, controlling Doom on an iPod, darn near impossible; controlling Ms. Pac-Man (or maybe Galaga - hint, hint, Apple) is more realistic.

I've got Pac-Man (which I've always sucked at), Galaga, and Tetris on my cell phone - and I'm forever grateful for one of them whenever I'm trapped on the Bay Area's retrograde public transit. The 8-bit graphics (not including Tetris, which I think is a port of the original PC version) are perfect for the screen: what looked chunky on a full-size arcade screen looks elegant on my e815. And, they don't eat up huge amounts of the phone's battery life or memory. I suspect the same would be true of the iPod.

I'm not a gamer, aside from an on-and-off fascination with Baldur's Gate, but gaming today isn't like it was 20 years ago. I doubt anyone who's on the young side of the iPod market will be playing Ms. Pac-Man when they can go home and play World of Warcraft. But, for folks like myself who grew up with this stuff, it's a perfect market. I'm sure there's some sort of demographic analysis Apple did as well that supports this - comparing age with iPod type, gender, income, etc.

Though it would really be nice to hear Apple talking about computers and software sometime soon, since so far 2007 has been the year of the "iProduct."

Gasu E.
Feb 28, 2007, 11:31 AM
That's not "off-topic." He was likening the iPod's closed software platform to the original Mac's closed hardware platform, and explaining that they shared an underlying strategy that we all know is consistent with Jobs' design and operating practices over the past thirty years.

Not that you'll understand, but I'll make an analogy. Let's say that you decide to take apart your Mac. You see a lot of wires and electronics that you don't recognize or understand -- all you understand about your computer is the keyboard and the monitor. You think that perhaps its some sort of alien being that has been incubated within your machine, and has to be destroyed before it infects someone else's computer. You rip and tear and smite the components... but then you wonder why your computer doesn't work.

In this case, you are wandering into a conversation without even the slightest comprehension of what the involved parties are actually discussing. You see parts of it, and you think you know what's at work, so you start flailing around wildly, laying waste to the average applied IQ of the thread's posts. But in the end, you only look like an imbecile incapable of comprehending the simplest connections between concepts.

Hello, are you done in there?

OldTimey
Feb 28, 2007, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately, most people who love Ms. Pac-man know that the game is only truly great when you're playing the speed hacked version. For some unknown reason, Namco refuses to let people change the speed settings on anything other than the arcade releases.

Thus, the recent Xbox Live Arcade of Ms. Pac-man was rendered almost worthless, and no doubt this version is as well.

wow. that. is. really. dorky.

Get Jobs on the phone, iPod Ms. Pac-Man is worthless!

shidoshi
Feb 28, 2007, 01:04 PM
wow. that. is. really. dorky.

What, my comment? It's the truth, so I don't see why that's "dorky". If you know anything about Ms. Pac-man, you know that after the initial launch of the game, what ended up giving it its lasting popularity was when the sped-up version of the game came out. Pretty much any arcade unit you'll find in various places offers the game in that sped-up form, and even official Namco Ms. Pac-man/Galaga joint units (as Ms. Pac-man wasn't originally a Namco game) offer the ability to be played sped-up, and the units are typically set that way.

But, hey, you got off your cute comment, so I guess that's what counts.

OldTimey
Feb 28, 2007, 02:00 PM
What, my comment? It's the truth, so I don't see why that's "dorky". If you know anything about Ms. Pac-man, you know that after the initial launch of the game, what ended up giving it its lasting popularity was when the sped-up version of the game came out. Pretty much any arcade unit you'll find in various places offers the game in that sped-up form, and even official Namco Ms. Pac-man/Galaga joint units (as Ms. Pac-man wasn't originally a Namco game) offer the ability to be played sped-up, and the units are typically set that way.

But, hey, you got off your cute comment, so I guess that's what counts.

I just think that part in your post about this version of PacMan being virtually "worthless" was a little silly that's all. you KNOW your Pacman, nobody is arguing that.

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 28, 2007, 02:29 PM
I think emulating the portalplayer chips, broadcom video/3d chip, and all of the iPod hardware is a bit too big of a project just for a cute feature like that.

Silence! Thou shalt not piss on my pipe dreams!

milatchi
Feb 28, 2007, 04:17 PM
I can see Tekken coming next :rolleyes:

Cult Follower
Feb 28, 2007, 05:44 PM
I love the iPod games, and have downloaded a couple and I like Ms. PacMan so I'll probably buy it. I hope they keep kicking out games.

floam
Mar 1, 2007, 12:09 AM

kalisphoenix
Mar 2, 2007, 06:42 AM
I just wandered in? I started the thread before it got turned into the news post -- I think I am allowed to make comments?

You're certainly allowed to make comments. This isn't my forum. Just, like, try to comprehend the basics of conversation before you sass someone for being off-topic the moment they get any more abstract than an instructional manual :p I know your eyes glaze over whenever rhetoric is used, so just ignore it.

locutisofbored
Mar 2, 2007, 10:20 AM
As long as we're all making them, when's Pong coming out?!? :p

MrSmith
Mar 2, 2007, 05:19 PM
...and I want one of these again:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos/binatone_tv-master-mk6_2.jpg