Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Just wondering if Parallels takes advantage of both cores?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
There's a simple way to test this. While Parallels is running, open Activity Monitor and look at the number of threads listing for Parallels. If it has more than 1, it's taking advantage of both cores.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
Yes, it does. I also allows Windows programs to take advantage of both cores as well (given if the programs themselves are written that way)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Yes, it does. I also allows Windows programs to take advantage of both cores as well (given if the programs themselves are written that way)

No, I don't think it does. If you have it working on both cores, would you explain how you do that? Because mine only seems to operate on one.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
No, it doesnt.

From one of the parallels guys on Parallels forum.

1. Current design is very optimal for dual core systems - 1 core for Windows XP, 1 core for Mac OS X - optimal performance for both systems. So I don't see any reason to give Windows XP both cores and left Mac OS X without CPU power.

2. If you take Mac Pro with 4 cores - then it is make sense. We will introduce this feature in next major version - 3.0.

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=3987&dual+core

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
It doesn't yet. I saw this in their forum before, but I can't find the link. It's supposed to be incorporated into the software at a later date, though.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
No, I don't think it does. If you have it working on both cores, would you explain how you do that? Because mine only seems to operate on one.

I could be wrong (HA, wouldn't be the first). However I thought a single core program would top out at 100% CPU usage? See screen shot.

Attachments

• shot.jpg
    shot.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 182

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I could be wrong (HA, wouldn't be the first). However I thought a single core program would top out at 100% CPU usage? See screen shot.
Look at the number of threads. Parallels has 17. Therefore, at least some of the processing Parallels is doing is going to the other core. Remember, a dual-core CPU has 200% CPU time available to allocate (100% per core).

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I guess that makes sense. One core for each OS, thats fair enough but with 8 core Mac Pros due....will they be able to make 4 cores for each OS. Now that would be something.

Quad core notebooks, one day....

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
like many programs, parallels is multithreaded. but it gives the win desktop only one thread/cpu to work with. now parallels itself will be doing other things at the same time, like managing network, coherence, virtual harddisk management, etc etc, hence it has multiple threads for these tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.