Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
I don't know anything about hacking, hackers, or even viruses for that matter but I've just always assumed it was a Windows-only type thing, atleast with the old OS. Did OS X spur any serious hackers to start using Macs to do their dirty work? Just curious, I've always been intrigued by stories of 16 year old kids breaking into a mainframe and making money spit out of ATM machines...and other forms of good old honest fun:p

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Re: Hackers and Macs?

Originally posted by tjwett
I don't know anything about hacking, hackers, or even viruses for that matter but I've just always assumed it was a Windows-only type thing, atleast with the old OS. Did OS X spur any serious hackers to start using Macs to do their dirty work? Just curious, I've always been intrigued by stories of 16 year old kids breaking into a mainframe and making money spit out of ATM machines...and other forms of good old honest fun:p
hm, no no attack, but if you want to hack it becomes far easier with Os X .. due to "native " ssh, and other little , nice features :D

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
well, anyone stupid enough to leave remote login on and have a very "open
system can be hacked by anyone else with a mac.

Atleast thats the impression I have recieved from people.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by G5orbust
well, anyone stupid enough to leave remote login on and have a very "open
system can be hacked by anyone else with a mac.

Atleast thats the impression I have recieved from people.
well, thats true. but os x , therefore unix / linux is far more secure than m$ winbloze is :D

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: Hackers and Macs?

Originally posted by maradong
hm, no no attack, but if you want to hack it becomes far easier with Os X .. due to "native " ssh, and other little , nice features :D
i hope you mean it makes it easier to hack with OS X, and not to hack OS X, because having native SSH etc should contribute to higher security levels in the OS.

OS X has few security issues compared to any windows OS. that's mostly because so many people look for holes in windows, though, rather than that they are really bad security code writers.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Re: Re: Re: Hackers and Macs?

Originally posted by Shadowfax
i hope you mean it makes it easier to hack with OS X, and not to hack OS X, because having native SSH etc should contribute to higher security levels in the OS.

well yes, what i wanted to say is that hacking with OS X is easier :D hacking Os X is very hard. ..
OS X has few security issues compared to any windows OS. that's mostly because so many people look for holes in windows, though, rather than that they are really bad security code writers.
true :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.