Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Hi, I just bought a network hard drive (http://www.usbex.com/landrive/ to be exact, but not that the site gives much info :rolleyes: )

but anyway, I connected it to my router, logged into my router and looked at the attached devices list. There was an attached device named STORAGE, I copied the IP, pasted it into Safari, it asked me for my username and password, which logged me in fine.

The manual says to mount the hard drive I need to go to "Connect to Server" and type smb://STORAGE. When I do this I get this error:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://STORAGE" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)"

I tried going to http://192.168.0.3 (the IP of the hard drive), which asked me to enter my username and password, which I do, and then get the error message:

"You cannot connect to this server because it cannot be foudn on the network. Try again later or try a different URL"

I don't really know much about networks, so I'm lost here, does anyone know how to get this working?

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
I'm getting exactly the same - 36 error message - any solutions? (both on my MacBook and G5 desktop)

If I connect the drive via USB it verifies as perfect.

If I'm only going to use my network drive with Macs and no PCs do I still have to format the drive as FAT32? How do I find out the IP of the drive in my network box?

Just formatted the drive in Windows XP on Parallels - no better.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
I haven't found a solution yet. Tried the smb://192.168.0.3 but got the same error message. I'm redecorating at the minute though so its all disconnected, will give it another go once I'm finished that.

To find the IP i just logged into my router and went into "Attached Devices" and it was listed in there.

Let me know if you find a solution, I'm gonna have another go once I get it all set up again.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
I went into Windows XP in Parallels and in Explorer entered http://storage which brought up the network drive - then I formatted the drive from within that, - (maybe the problems is with the way OXS formats MSDOS ??) The formatting created a default folder PUBLIC. I then created a directory COLIN and set a password for it.

Then back in the OSX finder I followed Go/Connent to Server and entered smb://storage/public and up came the directory. I then did Go/Connent to Server and entered smb://storage/colin and up came that directory which asked for my password.

So now it appears to be working OK - REALLY slow though compared to my FW800 back up drive.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Interesting, I'll have to get Windows installed and try that out. Thanks a lot!

Hope its fast enough though, I didn't want any wires coming out of my MBP other than the power cable, but if it's too slow I'll just have to get used to having a USB2 cable aswell!

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
I think at best it's about one tenth of the speed of decent firewire - and that's with an ethernet cable straight from the back of my dual G5 direct to the drive. I think wireless might be even slower. I suppose once you've done the big initial back any incremental stuff shouldn't take so long except I do work with some pretty big Photoshop images

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.