Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
I was just wondering if anyone has purchased Windows Vista (Full Version) and installed yet? I was wondering if it ran ok with bootcamp or are there bugs that need worked out before I make the purchase? I never had a copy of windows at the house, so I dont have anything to upgrade from.

barkins

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Encino, CA
Take it from someone who bought a Vista laptop and returned in within a week of living with bugs and crashes. Stay away from Vista like cancer. :mad:

Pct1theory

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2006
NY
better than XP

if u have to run Windows than use Vista over XP.
Vista Is Better Than XP, But Not as Good as OS X :D

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hi!

How easy is it to install Vista in BootCamp? I heard there was something about deleting an EFI partition? Or was that only in Vista beta? What about the BootCamp drivers? Isn't there some trouble there as well?

Thanks!

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
Hi!

How easy is it to install Vista in BootCamp? I heard there was something about deleting an EFI partition? Or was that only in Vista beta? What about the BootCamp drivers? Isn't there some trouble there as well?

Thanks!

The actual installation of Vista in using the Bootcamp partition manager is pretty easy. Just put in the Vista DVD and boot off of it and Vista will install. There is no need to delete the EFI partition (you only needed this in the early betas of Vista). About the bootcamp drivers, you MUST download the ATI/AMD graphics driver (for Macbook Pro/iMac) Mobile Catalyst 7.2 from ati.amd.com. I repeat, DO NOT use the bootcamp video drivers, as they are XP drivers and Windows Vista uses a different video driver model. A lot of drivers are automatically detected and installed by Vista, like the chipset drivers, etc. I'm not sure about an iMac, but on a Macbook Pro, the sound drivers must be installed manually by extracting the bootcamp drivers off of the CD and going into device manager to install it. Drivers for Appletime, brightness and iSight do not work (although they may install). Hope this helped.

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
The actual installation of Vista in using the Bootcamp partition manager is pretty easy. Just put in the Vista DVD and boot off of it and Vista will install. There is no need to delete the EFI partition (you only needed this in the early betas of Vista). About the bootcamp drivers, you MUST download the ATI/AMD graphics driver (for Macbook Pro/iMac) Mobile Catalyst 7.2 from ati.amd.com. I repeat, DO NOT use the bootcamp video drivers, as they are XP drivers and Windows Vista uses a different video driver model. A lot of drivers are automatically detected and installed by Vista, like the chipset drivers, etc. I'm not sure about an iMac, but on a Macbook Pro, the sound drivers must be installed manually by extracting the bootcamp drivers off of the CD and going into device manager to install it. Drivers for Appletime, brightness and iSight do not work (although they may install). Hope this helped.

whatever happened to "it just works":eek:

drjay128

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
Vista install

Hi,

I have an iMac C2D that I bought about 3-4 months ago that we bought for the family. It's great, but I want to install Windows since we have a lot of old files/programs from our Dell. We have four family users set up on the iMac.

2 questions:
* I bought a copy of Vista Home Premium. I've read a few things about licensing limitations. If I set it up on the iMac and run through Boot Camp, a) can all four accounts access Vista; and b) will I be operating under the license as long as I don't set up Parallels (a virtual PC)?

Any advice?

Thanks
Jay

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
Just for the record. I actually own Vista(home premium) and I have it on my homebuilt desktop. I have used it since its release and have not had 1 single crash or problem. The only thing I am waiting for is a free firewall to come out for it. A zone alarm update. When I go back to xp its bug city. I can't stand xp after using Vista. I would love to install Vista on my macbook but have not as of yet.

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
maybe i should purchase xp/sp2 from ebay and forget it.

the only copy of xp i have is of sp1 - so, i haven't tried to put that on the mac as it requires sp2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.