Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following an examination of iTunes 7.1, some have found hidden gems in the software that indicate or otherwise confirm earlier suspicions about where Apple is heading.

International Movies
iLounge took an in-depth look at the release, and found support for ratings tags for Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom in addition to the United States for movies and TV shows (when applicable). This find could serve as additional fuel for previous rumors that cited Spring 2007 as the launch for the expansion of iTunes in Europe beyond music.

Apple TV Games
More than two dozen text strings hidden in iTunes 7.1 related to game management with the Apple TV have been found and reported by various sites. The strings, such as "Are you sure you want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV XXX will be replaced with games from this iTunes library." and "Some of the games in your iTunes library were not copied to the Apple TV XXX because they cannot be played on this Apple TV."are further confirmation of comments by PopCap VP Greg Canessa indicating that the Apple TV would indeed support games.

Rumors regarding Apple's interest in the gaming market received a kick-start in December when Prudential analyst Jesse Tortora released a research note stating that he believed Apple would have to offer some sort of console gaming device in order to compete against offerings from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Retro gaming is becoming popular - nothing really past DOOM...

Bring on the Atari and Williams Classics!!!

Sonic. Get sonic on there and I will buy it. In fact, don't bother I am getting my megadrive (genesis) out of the box again... :D

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I like this news, despite not being interested in an :apple:TV at this time. I think it's great because it further expands the already growing Apple/Mac games market. Also, having lived in the UK before, I fully support the addition of international movies to the iTunes Store :D

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Will Apple TV have 3D hardware?
It does, but not on the scale of a modern gaming console, unless they've seriously been holding back on the feature statements (and found a magical way to cool the thing). I wouldn't count on any shooters or lifelike flight simulators, though.

RichCoder

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
Retro gaming is becoming popular - nothing really past DOOM...

Bring on the Atari and Williams Classics!!!

I agree totally. They need a 2 joystick gamepad for Robotron! :)

But if they have 3D hardware(only to the level of gamecube) it would open up all sorts of fun games. Anyone play MonkeyBall?

-rich

ampd

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
I'm not surprised that Apple would want to add the ability for the :apple:TV to play games but I do not believe that doing so will come close to competing with Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. From what I imagine, the games on the :apple:TV will just be the iPod games offered, the only difference being you can play them on your TV also.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Any gaming on the :apple:tv will be of the Tertris and Pac-Man varieties. Maybe some Missle Command and other Atari type games. An afterthought like the video iPod. It won't be Wii or PS or XBox level gaming. Sorry Hardcore Complaymers.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Don't :apple: hold the patent that controls downloadable media from the internet now?

If they bother to ever enforce it, the :apple:TV could be massive in a few years, and these could be the first steps of its expansion.

Correct me on the patent thing if i'm wrong, but i remember being shocked at how a company could hold such a valuable patent at the time.

MA.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Apple NEEDS a gaming console

I'm sure it wont' be the current AppleTV, but Apple does NEED a gaming console. It fits EXACTLY into thier marketshare demographic! Neilson just did a study showing that console-owning households is on the rise, Apple could capitalize on that.
Now, some will argue that Apple owners are not "hard core gamers," (which I find a bit offensive...), but the argued the same thing when the predicted the Nintendo Wii would fail--and that is a phenomenal success.
All they need is a proper platform by which the can play the Apple computer games on the TV through AppleTV and they'd have thier "console," if they wanted to add proprietary games later they could.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Will Apple TV have 3D hardware?

Haven't you seen the :apple:TV in the keynotes? That thing can do 3D in 720p.

One rumor about specs also said the :apple:TV had a "nVidia G72M with 64MB DDR2 video memory (essentially the GeForce Go 7400)" GPU. More than enough for 3D games, possibly even games from about 3-4 years ago.

The limiting factor will be the controller, which will only allow up/down/left/right + 1 button (since "menu" is reserved to go back to the menu). Unless they plan on having USB gamepads compatibility? Apple-branded USB gamepad anyone?

kerio

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2007
Now, now ladies, lets be fair. These guys had it first. But I'm in agreement that AppleInsider should credit such stories.

I'm not saying "i was the first to discover blah blah blah". :)

But it's sad that after we talked about AppleTV Gaming in these forums yesterday it's now reported as an Appleinsider scoop. ;)

RichCoder

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
Haven't you seen the :apple:TV in the keynotes? That thing can do 3D in 720p.

One rumor about specs also said the :apple:TV had a "nVidia G72M with 64MB DDR2 video memory (essentially the GeForce Go 7400)" GPU. More than enough for 3D games, possibly even games from about 3-4 years ago.

No, I didn't see the keynote. Thanks for the info. the 7400 isn't bad. Somewhere in between last generation and next generation consoles.

-rich

EDIT: Just found this http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2395

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
OMG... The Graphics on Ataris were terrible! I would never have fun on an :apple:tv if the graphics were'nt top of the line :rolleyes:

Well, they weren't great graphics, but the games were still fun. At risk of sounding like an old man, I'd take a few rounds of low-rez Galaga over the shiniest, three-dimensioniest, 720p-iest mahjong any day.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
No, I didn't see the keynote. Thanks for the info. the 7400 isn't bad. Somewhere in between last generation and next generation consoles.

Keep in mind, I was only mentioning the fact that the :apple:TV interface is in 3D (similar to Front Row and CoverFlow in iTunes). Also, the GPU I mentionned is only a rumor, I don't know if it's true.

However, I'd guess that :apple:TV runs OS X and uses CoreImage, CoreVideo and CoreAnimation, so a good GPU is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.