PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy Web Site Pricing Probed

Teh Don Ditty
Mar 6, 2007, 08:33 PM
CNN Money (http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-15009112.htm?cnn=yes)

I honestly say it's about time. There are times when I see something I wanted online (from their website) for a certain amount, only to see in the store it's higher.

SkyBell
Mar 6, 2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I've noticed this too.

That's why I'm a CompUSA girl. :)

GoCubsGo
Mar 6, 2007, 08:45 PM
Oddly I had no idea this was a bad thing. Interesting though because I always noticed it but never questioned it.

Teh Don Ditty
Mar 6, 2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I've noticed this too.

That's why I'm a CompUSA girl. :)

I used to shop there, in my neck of the woods it's utter garbage now. Guess that's what happens when you're surrounded by the following: Best Buy, Circuit City, Target & Wal-Mart (shudder)

GFLPraxis
Mar 6, 2007, 09:04 PM
My local CompUSA's cool. They all love Macs (I even trained a few of them in how to switch customers to Mac :) ).

But I guess it depends on location.

Superdrive
Mar 6, 2007, 09:36 PM
I worked at a Best Buy. Customers would frequently have pricing discrepancies. They would always insist they saw that item cheaper at home even after the typical sales person tried to prove them wrong by pulling up BB.com in store. Pulling the website up on external wi-fi from the stores neighbors revealed different prices. Sucks for Best Buy, but it wasn't good business.

Teh Don Ditty
Mar 6, 2007, 09:38 PM
Yea, I used to work at BB too. Discount was great, other than that it sucked.

katie ta achoo
Mar 6, 2007, 09:50 PM
Wow.. Bait and switch. Completely illegal.

This is why I do any tech shopping online or at Target. Target has never screwed me over. Best buy has. *scowls*

Wild-Bill
Mar 6, 2007, 09:58 PM
I use Fry's for most of my electronic needs. I only use Best Buy when they have a sale on DVD+R's, the Verbtaims. And that's it. I hope they get spanked over this.

Lancetx
Mar 6, 2007, 10:03 PM
I guess if anyone wants to buy something at Best Buy, it would be prudent to carry in a printout from home of the screen with the price. :)

Bobdude161
Mar 7, 2007, 01:29 AM
innnnnteresting. Every now and then I would get customers that said they found a different price online. I of course would check the BB website at the store and prove them wrong. Corporate already had admitted that the prices online are sometimes not in sync with retail, but didn't know it was like this. I don't think this was on purpose at all. Maybe the internal BB website is failing to update certain sale prices.

Sorry to hear BB screwed you over katie ta achoo, they should've kept the relationship at a business level. :cool:

katie ta achoo
Mar 7, 2007, 01:45 AM
Sorry to hear BB screwed you over katie ta achoo, they should've kept the relationship at a business level. :cool:

and they didn't even buy me dinner first!:mad:

but OT:
Bryant said discrepancies between prices on BestBuy.com and the internal Web site can be attributed to market factors at individual stores. 'The prices at BestBuy.com are national prices,' she said.

Best buy is SO FRIGGIN' HUGE market factors in individual markets wouldn't matter. Corn prices in Iowa, not so much, steel prices in China, YEA!
Blumenthal said if his office uncovers any intentional wrongdoing, penalties could include fines or restitution to customers, among other options.
Uhm.. how could this NOT be an intentional wrong-doing?
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought the identical site in-store with higher prices was an OK thing to have! WHOOPS! My bad!!"

Nyaaggghh!!!
Maybe I'm just angry at best Buy because I want a Wii and a new TV and don't want to write this paper I'm writing but *shakes fist in direction of nearest best buy*

RedTomato
Mar 7, 2007, 03:08 AM
That's evil.

Some shops in the UK have lower prices on their website than in store, but if you bring in a print-out of the page, they will honour it instore. I've done this a few times and never had any problems.

But to have an identical instore website with higher prices just to fool your customers, that's evil.

FoxyKaye
Mar 7, 2007, 08:32 AM
It has been my experience that anyone who shops at Best Buy, online or in the store, usually gets what they deserve.

atszyman
Mar 7, 2007, 08:49 AM
Are these deals on the website listed as being in-store as well?

I know there was a big bruhaha about newegg and similar sites that would offer different prices to different browsers/OS combos and the ruling was that it was not illegal since it didn't discriminate based on race/gender but on controllable factors.

If the price is so good online why not do in-store pickup and guarantee that you have the item at that price. Should cost the same and you don't end up driving to the store to simply find that the deal was so good that they sold out.

Don't take this as a defense of Best Buy or any other retailer, just some food for thought. I know any retailer is out there to make money and will find every and any way to extort as much money from me as they can in a legal manner.

Bobdude161
Mar 7, 2007, 10:21 PM
Well just got back from work and it seems they've caught on pretty fast. They now have links on the company networked computers to a local bestbuy.com and a national bestbuy.com So at least that problem is solved. :)

Koodauw
Mar 7, 2007, 10:38 PM
I had this exact same thing happen to me. I saw a camera I liked online, and went in to pick it up. It was more expensive in the store so I asked the guy if you would match the website price. He checked it out, and showed me that it was the same price as the instore price. I thought maybe I had screwed up somehow, so I went home and checked again. The price was lower online, so I ordered it and used the instore pickup option. The guy was rather surprised to see me back within the hour to pick up the camera. I made sure to show him my web receipt too.