Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2003
A company here in Stockholm just launched a 26Mbit DSL service to all people in central Stockolm for about 50$ (398 kr) a month! 26 Mbit!!! <faints>

That's http://www.bostream.se btw =P (If you can read swedish) Let's hope this thing spreads fast in all countries - can you imagine what the internet will be like? Oh, and when real VDSL makes it's breakthrough, that will be really, really sweet... iTunes videostore anyone?

Regards / GulGnu

-Stabil som fan!

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
Originally posted by edesignuk
Damn, iWant! I pay £50 for 2Mit here in the UK, 26Mbit for $50, WOW!
My family pays $40 for a max of 1.5Mbps down, and we don't always even get that. Lucky people.

donigian

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2003
Washington, DC, USA
GulGnu, have you actually used the service for any period of time yet. Can you give a review of it or something? I'm interested in how much of an improvement that much bandwidth would give you. I know there becomes a point where the data can't be fed to you fast enough, I've reached it with my 1.5 Mb Cable Modem, I'm just wondering what your actual experience is.

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2003
Originally posted by donigian
GulGnu, have you actually used the service for any period of time yet. Can you give a review of it or something? I'm interested in how much of an improvement that much bandwidth would give you. I know there becomes a point where the data can't be fed to you fast enough, I've reached it with my 1.5 Mb Cable Modem, I'm just wondering what your actual experience is.

I haven't used it as it was launched today! =P Plus, I already have a 10Mbit connection where I live for about 25$ / month, so I'm not *that* inclined to switch =P

The thing about "not having data fed to you fast enough" sounds strange - data transfer is pretty straightforward: 5Mbit: The file takes 1 min to download, 10Mbit - it takes 30 secs, etc. I Know my 10mbit connection maxes out at about 1,4 megabytes (observe, bytes = about, well 10 Mbits =P) worth of simultaneous downloads. What do you mean by "not having data..." etc? I think you have to be a bit more explicit here =)

Of course, for web surfing it doesn't matter much.

Regards / GulGnu

-Stabil som fan!

donigian

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2003
Washington, DC, USA
GulGnu, what I'm saying is that some sites that I'm accessing or downloading from cannot send the information as fast as possible. Sometimes I'll be waiting for a single image to appear on a website due to the site being slow.

And yes, it's granted that it could simply be that my computer might not be displaying the image or it might be tied up processing, but I was simply interested in how much of an actual, noticeable improvement there could be with that much bandwidth at the receiving end. I just don't think that sites can feed it to you that quickly.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
20Mbit is fast enough to stream HD TV over the net (Mpeg 2/4 compessed of cource). The S Korean gov is trying to make 20Mbit cable avaliable to its citizens so the connection can be used to watch TV on. Too bad there is nothing that will really take advantage of that speed now. As Sweden would not be able to support that many people on that speed of conection since the internet link between some european countries is only a few hundred Gigabits.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
I went to the swedish site and I don't get why the 2.5 Mbit service cost 449 Kr and the 26 Mbit costs 398 Kr?? :confused:

Granted I don't read swedish and there could be some fine print....

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2003
GulGnu, what I'm saying is that some sites that I'm accessing or downloading from cannot send the information as fast as possible. Sometimes I'll be waiting for a single image to appear on a website due to the site being slow.

And yes, it's granted that it could simply be that my computer might not be displaying the image or it might be tied up processing, but I was simply interested in how much of an actual, noticeable improvement there could be with that much bandwidth at the receiving end. I just don't think that sites can feed it to you that quickly.

Hehe, if you only use the internet for surfing, you don't have much use for 26 Mbit. Downloading stuff on the other hand... MAJOR improvement. Or streaming media, for that matter. You can create lots of entirely new web and internet applications with that kind of speed.

Regards / GulGnu

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2003
Originally posted by zarathustra
I went to the swedish site and I don't get why the 2.5 Mbit service cost 449 Kr and the 26 Mbit costs 398 Kr?? :confused:

Granted I don't read swedish and there could be some fine print....

Well, there is some fine print: The 26 Mbit service is only available in central Stockholm - they will be expanding it during the summer though.

Regards / GulGnu

-Stabil som fan!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Japan has fiberoptic 100Mbit service already. Straight to your house, supposedly no reduction of line speed with distance. It works out to $50 a month I think.

I'm getting 12Mbit put in next week, $35 a month. This country is all wired. :cool:

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
I love the US of A, but when it comes to cell phones, DSL and other advanced tech products, we always seem a few months if not years behind...

I got 1.5 mbit DSL for $30 - which is not bad, but it isnt 100 mbit for $50! Not fair! :( :( :( :p

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yup, and FTTH is becoming positively commonplace these days if you live in the city centers though there are still issues of whether your building is wired for fiber or not.

I'm planning on doing the 8Mbit to 12Mbit with Yahoo BB in a few weeks just so I can get the new router/VOIP unit they are offering...

Cheers.

Originally posted by 5300cs
Japan has fiberoptic 100Mbit service already. Straight to your house, supposedly no reduction of line speed with distance. It works out to $50 a month I think.

I'm getting 12Mbit put in next week, $35 a month. This country is all wired. :cool:

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Originally posted by zarathustra
I love the US of A, but when it comes to cell phones, DSL and other advanced tech products, we always seem a few months if not years behind...

I got 1.5 mbit DSL for $30 - which is not bad, but it isnt 100 mbit for $50! Not fair! :( :( :( :p

Quit yer whinin! I've got squat! I can't get broadband if I gave a kidney for it, stupid SBC/Ameritech screwed me over for the last 5 years!!

"We will be rolling it out in your area in the next few months." ... that was 5 years ago! I moved like 3 or 4 times, and every place, either their COs didn't have the equipment, or (like my current situation) their network link to my neighborhood can't handle dsl! :mad:

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I feel your pain; I was in the same situation for 5 years as well. Every place I lived in the U.S. AND in Japan were in some sort of broadband Bermuda Triangle.
I was also lied to by NTT (the phone monopoly over here) who told me my area wasn't covered. Yahoo!BB changed all that.
How about cable?

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Originally posted by 5300cs
I feel your pain; I was in the same situation for 5 years as well. Every place I lived in the U.S. AND in Japan were in some sort of broadband Bermuda Triangle.
I was also lied to by NTT (the phone monopoly over here) who told me my area wasn't covered. Yahoo!BB changed all that.
How about cable?

Comcast is slowly moving to the area, they gave me a rough date of August of when they will have the infrastructure ready. Add a couple of months to that, and we are looking at fairly long wait.

My stupid phone line is only getting me 28.8 tops as well :mad:

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
GulGnu,
Vad nanstans is sthlm bor du?

anyways, right now i am in america, hints the fact that i am missing the three letters so it's really annoying typing in swedish. i come home in about 3 weeks, i live in norrviken i sollentuna. it's cool to know there i another swede here:D

har det sa bra!
Mariano

donigian

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2003
Washington, DC, USA
Originally posted by vniow
I've got you beat, 26.4k baby, w00t!

Sad thing is you sound like you're proud, even though I know you can't be.

Why is it exactly that high-speed Internet and new tech and cool stuff like that doesn't enter the U.S. for a long *** time? It just ain't fair.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Sad thing is you sound like you're proud, even though I know you can't be.

Why is it exactly that high-speed Internet and new tech and cool stuff like that doesn't enter the U.S. for a long *** time? It just ain't fair.

Two words. Population density. We don't have it. Therefore the price to install per person reached is astronomical. I would imagine Austrailia has the same problem we have except even more so.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Originally posted by vniow
I've got you beat, 26.4k baby, w00t!

Ok, so I lied, on my PCs I get 28.8 supposedly, my iBook ALWAYS reports 26.4 :p

I decided to get a t-mobile account for hotspots at Starbucks, I figured if I have to download updated and big files, I wouldn't mind doing it with a cup of coffee... mmmmmm.... Caramel Machiato!:D

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2003
Originally posted by Wano
GulGnu,
Vad nanstans is sthlm bor du?

anyways, right now i am in america, hints the fact that i am missing the three letters so it's really annoying typing in swedish. i come home in about 3 weeks, i live in norrviken i sollentuna. it's cool to know there i another swede here:D

har det sa bra!
Mariano

Jag bor på Lappis i Frescati - och i Norrviken i Sollentuna =P

/GulGnu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.