PDA

View Full Version : Good RPGs

Sauron's Master
Mar 10, 2007, 08:29 PM
Any recommendations for either OS X (preferred) or Boot Camp?

Not anything MMORPG like WoW but single player CRPGs with an emphasis on excellent storytelling.

thejadedmonkey
Mar 10, 2007, 08:30 PM
Are we talking about Diablo II or Starcraft type of games?

Xeem
Mar 10, 2007, 08:55 PM
Neverwinter Nights is a pretty vast RPG, and it is available on OS X. It is a very good game, but it was a little much for me to take. I thought I'd beaten the game, and rather the game ending, I found that I'd only beaten the first Act :).

risc
Mar 10, 2007, 08:57 PM
Oblivion

Verto
Mar 10, 2007, 08:57 PM
Final Fantasy VI(III) :)

topgunn
Mar 10, 2007, 10:38 PM
Oblivion
Seconded

But, you have to have a pretty powerful machine.

SpankyPenzaanz
Mar 10, 2007, 11:28 PM
The best rpg ever - KOTOR

Eric5h5
Mar 11, 2007, 03:15 AM
Are we talking about Diablo II or Starcraft type of games?

Neither...the question is about RPGs.

And to answer: if you can take the retro look, I find the RPGs of Spiderweb Software (http://www.spidweb.com/) are usually more fun and have more interesting stories than most of the big budget stuff.

--Eric

Sauron's Master
Mar 11, 2007, 05:45 PM
I should add a little more to my request.

Out of the major RPGs, I've played the majority excluding Oblivion. I'm looking for titles in the style of Baldur's Gate II which I thought was most excellent. I recently played Jade Empire and it was excellent as well. Either way, I'm looking for a diversion until some good NWN II modules come out or I find time to get BGII working properly with the user mods I'd like to use.

zap2
Mar 11, 2007, 05:51 PM

Yup...that going to be one of the best you can get.

KOTOR 2 was good, but the end was terrible. The rest of the game was an improvement over KOTOR 1

But I'm pretty sure only KOTOR 1 is out for Mac

Xeem
Mar 11, 2007, 09:56 PM

I can't believe I forgot about KOTOR! Buy it, and play it. Seriously.

someguy
Mar 11, 2007, 10:07 PM
What about Super Mario RPG? :)

Sauron's Master
Mar 12, 2007, 10:59 AM
Played both KoToR games. :\

Kernow
Mar 12, 2007, 11:12 AM
And to answer: if you can take the retro look, I find the RPGs of Spiderweb Software (http://www.spidweb.com/) are usually more fun and have more interesting stories than most of the big budget stuff.

Seconded - particularly the Avernum games. The graphics may look dated, but the storytelling and sheer size of the games more than makes up for this. I have replayed each of these several times.

kaltsasa
Mar 12, 2007, 11:21 AM
You'll be hard pressed to find more bang for your buck than the Spiderweb Software games. I tend to prefer the Avernum Series(Blades rocks, pretty much unlimited RPG goodness) but the Geneforge series can hold it's own. Neverwinter Nights is worth a good bout as well, you can sink quite a few hours into that.

Heroes of Might and Magic is out, I've heard mixed things. I don't have the time to sink into it right now(i've got a stack of PS2 and Cube RPGS to hammer) so I won't try it for a while. I didn't think Kult was too bad, least it kept me busy anyway for the price.

Fezwick
Mar 12, 2007, 11:24 AM
Vampire: Bloodlines is a very good RPG. Only runs on Windows, though.

pionata
Mar 12, 2007, 11:43 AM
Planescape Torment:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/159/159939p1.html

and of course Oblivion

kaltsasa
Mar 12, 2007, 03:54 PM
If you have internet(you posted here didnt you!) theres a couple three Webish RPG time killers I play. They all are pretty decent.

First Star Online (http://www.firststaronline3.net/) is a cheap(or free) MMORPG, its a little one no group stuff really but there's a lot to do and some nice people on there. It's free or you get some extras for a 1 time $25 registration.

Adventure Quest (http://www.battleon.com) is a cheap(or free) web based RPG that has quite a bit to keep you busy. Again this one is free or you full access for a 1 time $20 registration.

Dragon Fable (http://www.dragonfable.com)is the spiritual successor to Adventure Quest. It features an updated engine and a PvP arean. This one is free or a 1 time registration of 20-30 dollars depending on how many charectors you want "upgraded".

I have them all, and I've paid for them all. The hours I've sank into them all ends up being fractions of pennies per hour. All pretty cheap entertainment.

And for a quick 5 minute RPGish fix their is Earth 2025 (http://games.swirve.com/earth), I'm told it's the reason Al Gore invented the internet.

phantasmagoria
Mar 12, 2007, 07:57 PM
Planescape Torment:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/159/159939p1.html

My favourite game of all time. Only Baldur's Gate I & II come close, but Planescape: Torment is just something else... a fantastic story that's so far above the narrative quality of any other RPG I can think of. I can't recommend this game highly enough.

In fact I'm tempted to go and install it on a Windows 98 Parallels VM right now and play it through for a third, or is it fourth, time!

As far as more modern games go, I really enjoyed Oblivion on the 360. I thought it was a real improvement on Morrowind, which was pretty good itself.

epochblue
Mar 12, 2007, 08:02 PM
I saw this thread and my first thought was Chrono Trigger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_trigger).

I realize it's not for OS X (unless you count through an emulator), but it's possibly the best RPG ever. Definitely one of the few to really hold my interest throughout the entire game.

freeSia
Apr 15, 2007, 06:41 AM
If you have internet(you posted here didnt you!) theres a couple three Webish RPG time killers I play. They all are pretty decent.

First Star Online (http://www.firststaronline3.net/) is a cheap(or free) MMORPG, its a little one no group stuff really but there's a lot to do and some nice people on there. It's free or you get some extras for a 1 time $25 registration.

Adventure Quest (http://www.battleon.com) is a cheap(or free) web based RPG that has quite a bit to keep you busy. Again this one is free or you full access for a 1 time $20 registration.

Dragon Fable (http://www.dragonfable.com)is the spiritual successor to Adventure Quest. It features an updated engine and a PvP arean. This one is free or a 1 time registration of 20-30 dollars depending on how many charectors you want "upgraded".

I have them all, and I've paid for them all. The hours I've sank into them all ends up being fractions of pennies per hour. All pretty cheap entertainment.

And for a quick 5 minute RPGish fix their is Earth 2025 (http://games.swirve.com/earth), I'm told it's the reason Al Gore invented the internet.

ooo i lovee these kinda online games ;) ;)

Dagless
Apr 15, 2007, 08:43 AM
The Spirit Engine is quite good RPG for Windows, but plays quite differently to most standard RPGs.

I'd say either Tales of Symphonia or any Pokemon game.

lewdvig
Apr 16, 2007, 11:24 PM
I also have to recommend Planescape: Torment. It will run great in Boot Camp or Parallels.

I think it beats the Fallout, Baldurs Gate and KOTOR series. All of these are terrific and come in Mac native versions. The PC versions might be faster in Boot Camp though because of Rosetta.

Story-wise Planescape is way better than Oblivion - although Oblivion is an amazingly immersive technical marvel. I am playing through Oblivion for the second time (first on PC, now on PS3). You will need a MacPro with at least a 1900XT to really enjoy this game.

ghall
Apr 17, 2007, 12:16 AM
But I'm pretty sure only KOTOR 1 is out for Mac

There's no UB patch, and it bearly runs under Rosetta. <----Talking from expierience.

I'd reccomend Final Fantasy VII (yes, there's a PC version). I picked it up brand new and pretty cheap on eBay. It's a classic.

Jasonbot
Apr 17, 2007, 04:09 AM
Arcanum was a cool RPG back in the day...

ericsthename
Apr 17, 2007, 01:26 PM
Oblivion

Seconded

But, you have to have a pretty powerful machine.

thirded

weg
Apr 17, 2007, 02:52 PM
What about Super Mario RPG? :)

Once Macs can also run Wii and DS games using Boot Camp I'll definitely get an Intel Mac ;-)

takao
Apr 17, 2007, 03:23 PM
and if you like oblivion but your machine is not powerful enough perhaps take a look at Gothic I + II can be had for very little but have some quite powerful story but you are equally free to do what you like

or of course the good old morrowind

also Vampires Blood lines is also pretty interesting especially from the setting

and if you can live with hack and slash diablo style: i always liked dungeon siege II .. it's much more focused on story than the first

Counterfit
Apr 17, 2007, 05:49 PM
I saw this thread and my first thought was Chrono Trigger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_trigger).

I realize it's not for OS X (unless you count through an emulator), but it's possibly the best RPG ever. Definitely one of the few to really hold my interest throughout the entire game.

Agreed. CT >>>>>>>>*

Jade Empire is good too, but you already know that.

spiderone
May 22, 2007, 03:38 AM
you can test Dofus,
ok it's a mmorpg but if you like storyline
you will find what you look for.

My pseudo in game: lordus; on Shika server

harveypooka
May 22, 2007, 05:12 PM
Any recommendations for either OS X (preferred) or Boot Camp?

Not anything MMORPG like WoW but single player CRPGs with an emphasis on excellent storytelling.

Without a doubt, Fallout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(computer_game)).

charmin
May 23, 2007, 03:01 AM
I should add a little more to my request.

Out of the major RPGs, I've played the majority excluding Oblivion. I'm looking for titles in the style of Baldur's Gate II which I thought was most excellent. I recently played Jade Empire and it was excellent as well. Either way, I'm looking for a diversion until some good NWN II modules come out or I find time to get BGII working properly with the user mods I'd like to use.

Jade Empire is a great game.

The majority of RPGs I've REALLY enjoyed are either console games, or ports of console games. Star Ocean: Til The End Of Time is a game that never became super-popular, but has a million things to do, a fantastic story, and I'd say some replay value (if I had time to replay games like that...)

Obviously FF7, X and XII, and DragonQuest VIII is MAMMOTH (120 hours) but it can get a bit tedious in places.

Xenosaga should be huge given that it comes on 2 or 3 DVDs, but I started a new job halfway through playing it so I never got around to finishing...

On the Mac front, Fable: The Lost Chapters is due in the next few months, and while it doesn't have quite as immersive a story as some of the games mentioned above, it's a good looking action-adventure-RPG.

(But this is coming from someone who got bored of Oblivion after only a few hours)

Clickage
Aug 30, 2007, 03:22 PM
Ok the guy who said "no not diabloll or starcraft rpgs" doesnt know what their talking about. Starcraft is a strategy rpg (I highlry eccomend it) about the future and aliens almost detroying humanity etc. If you ever get bored of the campaign it has free online play and a deccent community. also WarCraftlll is a strategy rpg which is pretty much starcraft in midievil time (with a twist). and finnaly DiablOll is solid rpg I dont know how that guy said it was'nt. And baisicly a hero beat the greatest Prime Evil called DiablO and yada yada yada then the comes DiablOll in this the hero is possesed by DiablO and hes out to destroy the world again. And anyway it has an awsome storyline and its an old game but still considering the time it was made its very advanced and is worth buying. Oh and like starcraft and warcraft D2 lets you play online and beat the game with other people if you get bored of the regular game alone and online isof course free.

gloss
Aug 30, 2007, 03:25 PM
Ok the guy who said "no not diabloll or starcraft rpgs" doesnt know what their talking about. Starcraft is a strategy rpg (I highlry eccomend it) about the future and aliens almost detroying humanity etc. If you ever get bored of the campaign it has free online play and a deccent community. also WarCraftlll is a strategy rpg which is pretty much starcraft in midievil time (with a twist). and finnaly DiablOll is solid rpg I dont know how that guy said it was'nt. And baisicly a hero beat the greatest Prime Evil called DiablO and yada yada yada then the comes DiablOll in this the hero is possesed by DiablO and hes out to destroy the world again. And anyway it has an awsome storyline and its an old game but still considering the time it was made its very advanced and is worth buying. Oh and like starcraft and warcraft D2 lets you play online and beat the game with other people if you get bored of the regular game alone and online isof course free.

Starcraft is a lot of things, but it's not an RPG.

mahashel
Aug 30, 2007, 04:39 PM
I'd recommend pretty much any of the Elder Scrolls games.
Oblivion (TES 4) is great, but requires a HOSS of a machine to run at an appreciable resolution.
Morrowind is the previous iteration (TES 3). It is arguably more *fun* to play and runs great on today's hardware, though it looks a lot less crisp due to the era it was released.
Pre-Morrowind (Arena & Daggerfall) are great games, but look pre-historic by today's standards.

emt8q5
Aug 30, 2007, 09:55 PM
Fallout, Fallout 2, or Arcanum. Arcanum is particularly good with the best soundtrack I have ever heard in a game.

iBunny
Aug 30, 2007, 11:16 PM
Final Fantasy 7 is the best RPG ever made.

Siemova
Aug 31, 2007, 12:12 AM
It hasn't been released quite yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to Eschalon: Book I (http://www.basiliskgames.com/book1.htm). I see some of you like Spiderweb games; this should be right up your alley, only it looks even better.

Speaking of Spiderweb: personally, I preferred the original Exile games to their Avernum remakes. Exile III is still probably my favorite of theirs.

aspro
Aug 31, 2007, 10:31 PM

Let's just get this completely straight.

Starcraft and Warcraft are Real Time Strategy games.
Diablo is a hack n' slash Role Playing Game.

SupadudeX
Sep 1, 2007, 02:06 AM
I will add another vote for Planescape Torment. Anyone who has not played this game is doing a diservice to themselves. Best game ever made IMO.

angelneo
Sep 1, 2007, 03:54 AM
Ok the guy who said "no not diabloll or starcraft rpgs" doesnt know what their talking about. Starcraft is a strategy rpg (I highlry eccomend it) about the future and aliens almost detroying humanity etc. If you ever get bored of the campaign it has free online play and a deccent community. also WarCraftlll is a strategy rpg which is pretty much starcraft in midievil time (with a twist). and finnaly DiablOll is solid rpg I dont know how that guy said it was'nt. And baisicly a hero beat the greatest Prime Evil called DiablO and yada yada yada then the comes DiablOll in this the hero is possesed by DiablO and hes out to destroy the world again. And anyway it has an awsome storyline and its an old game but still considering the time it was made its very advanced and is worth buying. Oh and like starcraft and warcraft D2 lets you play online and beat the game with other people if you get bored of the regular game alone and online isof course free.The way this was posted feels like it belongs to the WoW forum....

Anyway, I recommend Final Fantasy VII as well.

ChancyJohn
Sep 1, 2007, 12:10 PM
U should try Fable...nice story-line
Fable 2 is in the works i believe

Wayfarer
Sep 1, 2007, 12:13 PM

Chrono Trigger FTW!

SupadudeX
Sep 1, 2007, 12:32 PM
Let's just get this completely straight.

Starcraft and Warcraft are Real Time Strategy games.
Diablo is a hack n' slash Role Playing Game.

Well...we could technically argue that every game is a Role Playing Game... But Id rather not. :)

Zakkk8
Sep 10, 2007, 05:22 PM
There's no UB patch, and it bearly runs under Rosetta. <----Talking from expierience.

I'd reccomend Final Fantasy VII (yes, there's a PC version). I picked it up brand new and pretty cheap on eBay. It's a classic.

Really? KOTOR ran fine on my Macbook.

Cecily
Sep 10, 2007, 06:39 PM
Fallout, Fallout 2, or Arcanum. Arcanum is particularly good with the best soundtrack I have ever heard in a game.

Arcanum is a great game and it definately does have a wonderful soundtrack. I'd recommend it to anyone.

ghall
Sep 10, 2007, 07:13 PM
Really? KOTOR ran fine on my Macbook.

I think there's a patch out now. But when I wrote that, there was none. And yes, it ran horrible on my MacBook Pro, until I installed the patch, now it crashes a lot. :mad:

zedsdead
Sep 10, 2007, 07:13 PM

yes, it is.:)

Artofilm
Sep 10, 2007, 08:39 PM
Definately Final Fantasy VII.
Along with some good old Chrono Trigger

SupadudeX
Sep 12, 2007, 02:06 PM

You havent played enough RPGs. FF7 was good, but not the best by far. IMO FF3 was better, so was Chrono Trigger. Planescape Torment is the best.

katorga
Sep 12, 2007, 02:31 PM
Most of these are windows apps, soooo...

- wizardry 8 (widescreen support out of the box, glitchy with dual core, great, great game)
- Final Fantasy VII (hard to get working with windows, better to get console version)
- Planescape Torment (800x600 max res, old game, one of the best ever)
- Fallout 1/2 (great game, mac version available)
- KOTOR (version 1 rocks, UB patch available)
- Morrowind (works great on modern laptops)
- Baldur's Gate (mac version!)

Much Ado
Sep 12, 2007, 02:38 PM
Morrowind!

KOTOR- Very good at the time, a little dated with the whole 'good side/bad side' thing

KOTOR 2- Dark and involving.

Nearly great:
Oblivion- Had real potential, but lacked a decent storyline, and had that horrendous level-scaling system that ruined my whole experience. Quest pointer and teleporting removed the 'reality' you got from Morrowind.

Could be great:
Mass Effect. But that's on 360, of course, and later this year.