PDA

View Full Version : New PowerBook hard drive?

jensepollense
Mar 11, 2007, 06:18 PM
Is it possible to change the 12" PowerBook's internal hard drive with something bigger?

Thanks

shu82
Mar 11, 2007, 07:09 PM
Of course it is! It is not "user accessible", but with patience it isn't that hard.

ifixit has a guide just for this

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-12-Inch/Hard-Drive

jonharris200
Mar 11, 2007, 07:25 PM
I did an upgrade on a 17" PowerBook a few years ago when the hard disk died.

It took some time and was pretty scary, but with patience, an anti-static wrist strap and lots of Google searches I did it. I had no further problems with my upgraded machine from that point on.

Back then, I couldn't find any one place that told me everything I needed to know - I ended up translating a web page from Japanese! :)

You can certainly do this kind of surgery, just be aware that it's not necessarily straightforward for the average user (like me).

Kamikaze
Mar 11, 2007, 08:21 PM
If your after speed and not capacity I would run a Hitachi 7200k.
That is assuming that you don't have tons of data on the disk. I run big drive externally and use a 7200 rpm drive in my MBP. I will be installing a 160 in my MB.

If your drive has tons of data then the density of your data on a 5400k drive is greater than a 7200k drive that is half full and your transfer rates with be equal to or greater than the 7200k drive. I hope I am making sense?

Mattydj
Mar 12, 2007, 12:18 PM
If your hard drive hasn't died i would recommend buying an external :D Much safer.

amusice
Mar 13, 2007, 10:12 AM
Easy to do, but you have to be pretty familiar with what you are doing. If you do, get a Seagate, much better than Hitachi, warranty wise and it is one of the best rated HD also. 7200 120 Seagate Momentus from OWC