View Full Version : Sell my Powerbook now or after Leopard release?

Mar 11, 2007, 07:39 PM
I wonder if I can get you guys opinion on this, I still have my Powerbook G4 1.7, 1Gb Ram, 100Gb HDD and want to sell it for a Macbook Pro when Leopard is released.

My question is, in your opinion do you think I should sell it now and suffer the minimum depreciation of my laptop or sell it after Leopard release because the substantial increase in Mac interest and new switchers may guarantee a higher selling price even for an older laptop?

Any opinions on this?

Thanks all

Mar 11, 2007, 07:44 PM
I seriously doubt that the release of Leopard will increase the demand for Powerbooks, though it may slightly increase the demand for new Macs.

My strong suggestion is that if you can do without your Powerbook, you will maximize your selling price the sooner you sell it.

Mar 11, 2007, 07:44 PM
I don't think that it will go down in price much between now and when Leopard comes out, and won't lose any more money by waiting than if you had to buy Leopard separately, so right now i would say to wait.

Mar 12, 2007, 09:48 AM
I say do it now. Once Leopard is released Apple will also be releasing new Macs that will be able to FULLY take advantage of the new OS. This will likely reduce interest in older Macs.

Mar 12, 2007, 12:16 PM
I agree...selling it now will get you the most money. The value will drop with Leopard b/c they'll probably release new hardware at the same time...no doubt, it's just a matter of how much...

Mar 12, 2007, 12:22 PM
Since your powerbook can pass as a MBP right now to the untrained eye, it would be best to get rid of it before the new designs come out and even a child could tell its not the same as the brand new model.

Mar 12, 2007, 01:16 PM
i would sell as soon as i can. every time new models come out, it will only drive down the price you can get for your powerbook. also, i think the likely purchaser will be a mac user, not a potential switcher. the sooner you sell, the better.