Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Hi
I wonder if I can get you guys opinion on this, I still have my Powerbook G4 1.7, 1Gb Ram, 100Gb HDD and want to sell it for a Macbook Pro when Leopard is released.

My question is, in your opinion do you think I should sell it now and suffer the minimum depreciation of my laptop or sell it after Leopard release because the substantial increase in Mac interest and new switchers may guarantee a higher selling price even for an older laptop?

Any opinions on this?

Thanks all

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
I seriously doubt that the release of Leopard will increase the demand for Powerbooks, though it may slightly increase the demand for new Macs.

My strong suggestion is that if you can do without your Powerbook, you will maximize your selling price the sooner you sell it.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't think that it will go down in price much between now and when Leopard comes out, and won't lose any more money by waiting than if you had to buy Leopard separately, so right now i would say to wait.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I say do it now. Once Leopard is released Apple will also be releasing new Macs that will be able to FULLY take advantage of the new OS. This will likely reduce interest in older Macs.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I agree...selling it now will get you the most money. The value will drop with Leopard b/c they'll probably release new hardware at the same time...no doubt, it's just a matter of how much...

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Since your powerbook can pass as a MBP right now to the untrained eye, it would be best to get rid of it before the new designs come out and even a child could tell its not the same as the brand new model.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i would sell as soon as i can. every time new models come out, it will only drive down the price you can get for your powerbook. also, i think the likely purchaser will be a mac user, not a potential switcher. the sooner you sell, the better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.