New UK Ads now up...

http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/ads/

:)

jonharris200
Mar 11, 2007, 07:31 PM
These new UK ads are awful. Sorry, but it has to be said. :(

NATO
Mar 11, 2007, 07:52 PM
Oh those are awful.... although I did chuckle a bit at the 'Magic' one.

If you're reading this Apple, there's no need to go re-filming your ads for a British audience... the ones you had already are already funny and perfectly understood. These new UK-specific ones are nowhere near as funny. Please stop it now.

vincebio
Mar 11, 2007, 09:51 PM
yeah, looks like apple really havnt got the ads right at all..

was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt after the first 3 but these are absolutley god awfully minging:)

jamesmcd
Mar 11, 2007, 10:46 PM
Hmm, am I the only one who prefers the British ones to the American ones? :confused:

Perhaps because I am not actually American maybe...

I think the British accents and colloquial slang helps. :apple:

GavinT
Mar 12, 2007, 04:53 AM
Must admit, the new batch aren't great with the exception of the our version of 'Network'.
Loved the mickey take on the British approach of 'shout loud enough, and anyone can understand English'.

jonharris200
Mar 12, 2007, 04:58 AM
They should really get Jonny Ive to look over any new UK ads before they go out the door. The acting is awkward and the scripts are stilted. Worst of all, they are just not funny. The remakes are generally ok, but not spectacular.

MacRumors
Mar 12, 2007, 07:26 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Macworld.co.uk reports (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17449) that Apple has started airing new 'Get a Mac' ads in the UK:

These include: ‘Naughty Step’ where PC suggests that doing fun stuff should be punishable; ‘Magic’ where PC exchanges a file with Mac to much funfair; and ‘Court’ which examines how easy it is to make a photo book.

The new ads are now on Apple's UK website (http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/ads/). There has been some criticism (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/16/apple-u-k-ads-backfiring/) of the U.K. ads in how it depicts Mac users.

justflie
Mar 12, 2007, 07:36 AM
I don't see what the criticism is about. I just watched the new ones and they were pretty funny. Mac didn't come off too smug and PC didn't come off being a loser by any means. Oh well. Maybe the earlier ads weren't as good?

cwedl
Mar 12, 2007, 07:36 AM
I find this funny, for those that have not watcheed the peep show, the PC is very sensible, nice guy. The mac is a loser, doesn't do any work and always mucks everything up, having to get the PC guy to fix everything for him.

kwood
Mar 12, 2007, 07:45 AM
Personally I think the UK adds are much more funny then the US ones. Maybe its because they have a British accent.:D

Applespider
Mar 12, 2007, 07:46 AM
I'm obviously in a minority but I thought these ones were better than the first UK ads. I've never watched the Peep Show and not entirely convinced about the casting... but I did chuckle at a couple of these.

I thought the naughty step was amusing as was the Magic one. The court one also at least shows a photo book which has been a criticism in the past that the ads don't show what Macs do.

The new print ads are clever too - spotted them at Victoria this morning. There's a particularly nice one about the PC having cobbled together various programs to make something (his sign is stuck together with brown sticky tape) while the Mac has iLife.

macFanDave
Mar 12, 2007, 07:48 AM
Bollocks!

This extension of the ad campaign is going to cost Apple "buzz" points! Blimey!

How'd you like my English accent?

Blue Velvet
Mar 12, 2007, 07:53 AM
They should really get Jonny Ive to look over any new UK ads before they go out the door.

Because an industrial designer knows about effective television advertising?

These ads will have been focussed-grouped to within an inch of their lives, not with groups of Mac users like us, but with potential switchers and ordinary computer users... in other words, they're not aimed at you and me.

I think they're fine. Not amazingly hilarious, but that's not the intention. The intention is to portray and promote the brand. Make people feel positive towards it. How many amazing ads have you seen where you can't remember what the product is for?

These ads work, judging by the conversations I've heard in the office from non-Mac using people.

ascender
Mar 12, 2007, 08:00 AM
I like them :D

zen
Mar 12, 2007, 08:07 AM
The UK ads are diabolically bad. So, the PC is made for the office and the Mac was made for home? Great! That means my Mac must be an awesome gaming machine, right? Cos it's made for the home, unlike the PC which is an office machine.

Um, right? It must be right, because Apple's ad says so.

The new ad has the PC saying fun stuff must be punished. Which means the PC must suck at games, which you can play all day on the Mac while editing your photo album.

Um....right? Must be. Apple said. The Mac is made for home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Mac evangelist around, but these ads totally misrepresent Macs. What happens when a PC user walks into an Apple store asking for a kick-ass games machine, because the ad on TV said the Mac is made for the home.

And don't get me started on the Mac "was built for photos and music". Just advertise the danged operating system and ***SHOW*** PC users why Macs are better.

hob
Mar 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
These ad's seem a lot better than the first lot, which is great :)

mcmadhatter
Mar 12, 2007, 08:34 AM
Shame about the lack of Hijinks and Tomfoolery this time round, Love the fact that the PC comes in a plain old box though.

shigzeo
Mar 12, 2007, 08:54 AM
i guess ive seen some of the usa ones and the uk ones and the japan ones and all just came off as merely a waste of time and perhaps something that will bite apple in the arse when a virus does pop up or people discover that there a bsod in apple (black screen of death - grey perhaps that pops when hardware locks).

my family has apple and pc and both get problems often enough, but recently the mac. these adds depict a utopia in the hardware/software world that just does not exist.

they are not smug, just too idealistic and iconic for a computer company that hasn't released new computers in over 6 months.

Mr Skills
Mar 12, 2007, 09:06 AM
Funfair? You mean the advert has slot machines and dodgems?

I think the word is fanfair. :D :rolleyes:

Texas04
Mar 12, 2007, 09:07 AM
I think the "naughty step" is actually referring to Super Nanny on ABC here in the states. She is constantly using the "naughty chair" or the "naughty something" to punish unruly kids. And since she is from the UK.. they might be poking a little fun.

Otherwise I thought they were very funny!

Pressure
Mar 12, 2007, 09:10 AM
Even though I am from Europe, I enjoy the US ads much more than their UK counterparts. In fact the UK ones left me with a 'meh' feeling.

But if it works...

breeze
Mar 12, 2007, 09:18 AM
These ads are briliant and will work as well as the American ones - guaranteed.

Watch for another bill Gates tantrum about how they are misleading unfair etc ...the first chance he gets to talk to a journalist or news reporter.

Bottom Line - The Mac is fresh appealing fun and - makes working on a computer easy and productive.

Bye Bye Windows the world is waking to the Mac.

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 09:22 AM
Personally I think the UK adds are much more funny then the US ones. Maybe its because they have a British accent.:D

... English accent. England = English. American = American English. You call it British because you think your version is the norm - but it's not! ;)

Please don't be offended. I am even offending myself by clicking post. Maybe I am bored because there is NO NEWS!!!

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 09:40 AM
Actually, the word is fanfare ;)

would this count as pwnage?

twoodcc
Mar 12, 2007, 09:43 AM
glad to see more ads in the UK.

Noonzio
Mar 12, 2007, 09:44 AM
Anyone who thinks these adds are 'backfiring' has to be a complete muppet. Its all in jest and I think neither the mac comes off as being smug nor the PC as being a complete idiot.

timmillwood
Mar 12, 2007, 10:04 AM
Even though I am from Europe, I enjoy the US ads much more than their UK counterparts. In fact the UK ones left me with a 'meh' feeling.

But if it works...

i think you will find it started in UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernanny

I think the UK ads are good, but Mac does seem a bit dull, and i think this is due to peep show.

They should of got someone cool like chris moyles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Moyles) to be mac (yeh he does own one), and someone not so cool to be PC.

superleccy
Mar 12, 2007, 10:19 AM
I think the new ads are very funny, but don't show the Mac in a good light.

I find myself warming more to David Mitchell (PC) than to Robert Webb (Mac). PC might be a looser but he's likable and sort-of-fun. Mac is a bit bland and dull... and Webb's character on Peep Show, brilliant it may be, is enough to put me off anything he endorses!

Bollocks!

You sound like The Simpsons when they try and do an English accent but purposely make it sound Australian to try and piss us off. :p

SL

slicedbread
Mar 12, 2007, 10:20 AM
I found the ads to be quite funny, it just feels that Robert Webb was miscast as Mac. David Mitchell is the perfect hapless nerd that is needed to play PC in the apple ads, but mitchell just annoys me a bit.

VTMacUser
Mar 12, 2007, 10:32 AM
In the US series the Mac Guy has a cool confidence but the UK Mac guy is overpowered by the PC actor.

The director needs to get the PC actor to come off more like the US PC actor, ie, knows he is inferior, but is still likeable, and is disappointed each time the facts reveal the PC as less capable.

The UK ads do not make the PC realize its weaknesses.

Bottomline, they don't work.

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 10:32 AM
i think you will find it started in UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernanny

I think the UK ads are good, but Mac does seem a bit dull, and i think this is due to peep show.

They should of got someone cool like chris moyles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Moyles) to be mac (yeh he does own one), and someone not so cool to be PC.

Were you joking about Moyles? :confused: He's a stupid fat idiot. Not in any way, shape, or form is he cool!

There aren't that many English people that are cool anyway. To be honest, we are not a cool country. The peep show is good, but if you watch that and then this, you'll not want to buy a mac!

I agree the PC is more likeable. I also think Apple should be careful when they go on about a lack of viruses. There are holes in the software. It's only a matter of time. Then, it will not be fun at all.

I think Blair :eek: and Cameron :cool: should do the ads. I wonder if Bush is a PC user (I already know he doesn't email - I mean can't email) :rolleyes:

rahrens
Mar 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
The UK ads are diabolically bad. So, the PC is made for the office and the Mac was made for home? Great! That means my Mac must be an awesome gaming machine, right? Cos it's made for the home, unlike the PC which is an office machine.

Um, right? It must be right, because Apple's ad says so.

The new ad has the PC saying fun stuff must be punished. Which means the PC must suck at games, which you can play all day on the Mac while editing your photo album.

Um....right? Must be. Apple said. The Mac is made for home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Mac evangelist around, but these ads totally misrepresent Macs. What happens when a PC user walks into an Apple store asking for a kick-ass games machine, because the ad on TV said the Mac is made for the home.

And don't get me started on the Mac "was built for photos and music". Just advertise the danged operating system and ***SHOW*** PC users why Macs are better.

Go back and look at the ads again. the PC is saying these things about the Mac, and the message is just the opposite - that Macs really AREN'T just for home and PCs for business.

It's called satire - look it up.

Personally, I think the new ads are hilarious!

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 10:49 AM

Hilarious? That's a little far. Humorous, maybe. :rolleyes:

jbh001
Mar 12, 2007, 11:01 AM
These new UK ads are awful. Sorry, but it has to be said. :(
Oh, puleeze...

They're fine.

"Magic" is hilarious; what a wonderful spoof on "the wow starts now" campaign.

The "Network" ad is actually better than the US version. (Must be the subtitles).

All the rest are at least clever.

"Awful"? It only has to be said if you have no sense of humor.
The UK ads are diabolically bad.

Diabolical? You find them. . . Satanic?!?
And you say that with a straight face, too?

rahrens
Mar 12, 2007, 11:09 AM
Hilarious? That's a little far. Humorous, maybe. :rolleyes:

It's all subjective. I'm not at all offended if you don't like them as much as I do. I happen to have almost fallen out of my chair over "Magic".

Oh, and it's not only the British that raise the volume for people that they think can't speak English, we Americans do it too!

AutumnSkyline
Mar 12, 2007, 11:09 AM
I especially liked the naughty step Hahaha " The naughty step is always serious"

butaro
Mar 12, 2007, 11:12 AM
I liked the first ones so i decided to watch all of peep show, which i also really enjoyed. Therefor now that i am a fanboy i enjoyed these ones as well. lol

jonharris200
Mar 12, 2007, 11:16 AM

These ads will have been focussed-grouped to within an inch of their lives, not with groups of Mac users like us, but with potential switchers and ordinary computer users... in other words, they're not aimed at you and me.

I think they're fine. Not amazingly hilarious, but that's not the intention. The intention is to portray and promote the brand. Make people feel positive towards it. How many amazing ads have you seen where you can't remember what the product is for?

These ads work, judging by the conversations I've heard in the office from non-Mac using people.

I was being ironic about Jonny Ive. ;)

In general, I like the getamac ads, both US and UK, but these new UK ones actually made me cringe. Good to hear that some others like them.

"Awful"? It only has to be said if you have no sense of humor.

Oh dear. Things are more serious than I thought then! :D

zen
Mar 12, 2007, 11:34 AM
Go back and look at the ads again. the PC is saying these things about the Mac, and the message is just the opposite - that Macs really AREN'T just for home and PCs for business.

It's called satire - look it up.

Um, no, the Mac is saying that about himself (made for the home, made for photos and music, etc etc).

AlexisV
Mar 12, 2007, 12:27 PM
A clip of Peep Show for anyone who's wondering what people are talking about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXLlhNsbncI

CJM
Mar 12, 2007, 01:05 PM
Well they must work, I'm the only Mac owner my friends know, and they are always coming up to me commenting on how great the ads are.

'S nice to be recognised in a different way. xD

Sabenth
Mar 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
They work Relatie just bouch a macbook pro simply on the basis of watching those adds...

The One that dosnt really work is the court one its funny like but dosnt really explain much oh well ..

office one still cracks me up with the your coming for supper

xtqqtxxx
Mar 12, 2007, 01:42 PM
I thought the new ones are pretty good.
My favorites of all the UK ads are "Magic" and "Networking"

"Amazing!"

Much Ado
Mar 12, 2007, 02:16 PM
Bollocks!

God help you if you ever go to Newcastle...

MA.

TJIrwin
Mar 12, 2007, 03:03 PM
I think the "naughty step" is actually referring to Super Nanny on ABC here in the states. She is constantly using the "naughty chair" or the "naughty something" to punish unruly kids. And since she is from the UK.. they might be poking a little fun.

Otherwise I thought they were very funny!

As with a fair few US TV shows, Supernanny was a UK concept, shown here first, then bought up by ABC. The naughty step (and associated parenting techniques) generated some news coverage over here. It would be very odd for Apple to produce an advert solely reliant on the fact that the UK audience was aware of some fairly obscure US TV show.

Soundburst
Mar 12, 2007, 04:13 PM
Very good adverts. I hope they finally air them on t.v though.

theblotted
Mar 12, 2007, 07:11 PM
funnily, the UK PC's japanese is easier to understand than UK Mac's japanese pronounciation.

Cult Follower
Mar 12, 2007, 07:16 PM
Apple always comes out with some great commercials.

normang
Mar 12, 2007, 07:48 PM
Apple I am sure creates ads that target the market they run in. What's not so funny to "U.S.", could be really funny or impressive in the market they target.

macFanDave
Mar 12, 2007, 07:48 PM
God help you if you ever go to Newcastle...

MA.

Thank you, and wish me luck on my new enterprise there. I went to a free seminar and bought the rights to sell coal over there!

AlexisV
Mar 13, 2007, 10:09 AM

The naught step has been around for decades!

MacCurry
Mar 13, 2007, 10:38 PM
The UK ads are not funny and the UK Mac just doesn't seem as fun as the UK PC. If I saw these ads for the first time and didn't know the difference, I'd side with PC.

They seem to be counter productive. The US ads are in ENGLISH and I can't see why Apple would waste UK ad money on a similar program. They could have bought more print ads or simply air the US versions more often.

The Japanese ads seem to be more "with-it".

Oh and as a side note:
... English accent. England = English. American = American English. You call it British because you think your version is the norm - but it's not!

English doesn't belong to the UK - otherwise it wouldn't borrow words from other places, which is English's strength and weakness. It is very much American now and in then next couple of decades it will belong to India as there will be more English speaking people there. Like it or not we'll all be speaking Spanglish or Hinglish in no time.

Roba
Mar 14, 2007, 04:41 AM
I thought that these ads were quite funny they were definitely better than the other UK ads.
I think that i prefer these new ads to the US ads.

GanleyBurger
Mar 14, 2007, 10:37 AM
I like the PC guy... he's as good as the American PC guy.

I'm not so sure about the MAC UK guy being a representative of Cool...:cool:

They should have gotten a black guy like Seal or a lenny Kravitz look-alike or something...

Just my ad sense kicking in...

The Japanese ad is almost insulting in the UK version...

Much Ado
Mar 14, 2007, 11:28 AM
... You call it British because you think your version is the norm - but it's not! ;)

American accents vary, British accents vary.

I say i have a British accent, and i'm from England.

If you're from, say, Texas you wouldn't say "I have a Texas accent." It's an American accent.

Saying "I have an English accent" seems a bit pompous.

...God what a random post. I must stop drinking so much lager...err, i mean blood and kidney juice...

MA.

notsofatjames
Mar 14, 2007, 05:25 PM
are these ads on TV? ive seen the occasional poster in a busstop and things, but havent seen these ads on TV? or do i just not watch enough TV??

psychofreak
Mar 14, 2007, 05:27 PM
are these ads on TV? ive seen the occasional poster in a busstop and things, but havent seen these ads on TV? or do i just not watch enough TV??

They're on but only rarely...

superleccy
Mar 14, 2007, 05:47 PM
English doesn't belong to the UK - otherwise it wouldn't borrow words from other places, which is English's strength and weakness. It is very much American now and in then next couple of decades it will belong to India as there will be more English speaking people there. Like it or not we'll all be speaking Spanglish or Hinglish in no time.

Interesting! Please elaborate!

PS: This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovel) may help. Remember to dig up, not down.

SL

MalcolmJID
Mar 15, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'm from the UK and prefer the US ads. I can "warm" to them more. As someone else mentioned, the acting in these UK ads seem "quirky" and too scripted. The US ones "flow" more and I think they are general great ads. I much prefer the US duo to Mitchell and Webb (even though Justin Long has come under a little fire, I still say he works well as the Mac).:rolleyes:

MalcolmJID
Mar 15, 2007, 07:36 PM
American accents vary, British accents vary.

I say i have a British accent, and i'm from England.

If you're from, say, Texas you wouldn't say "I have a Texas accent." It's an American accent.

Saying "I have an English accent" seems a bit pompous.

...God what a random post. I must stop drinking so much lager...err, i mean blood and kidney juice...

MA.

Off topic:

I don't think this is right. Most areas have a "definitive" accent. Like, I'm from Wigan, a lot of people have a "Wigan accent". Just like if you're from Liverpool (or Skelmersdale and Southport and every other place the blasted Scousers have invaded) you'd say they have a "liverpool" or "scouse" accent. Manchester, Manc(unian).

Same as the North/South kind of divide. North = more common/harsh accents, while South = more "posh"/normal accents. Then you just get the Brummies in the middle.:D

MetalFace
Mar 15, 2007, 08:54 PM
to me they are exsactly the same but with well known comedy actors that are from the UK being from the UK i enjoyed the US mac ads but had no idea who the dudes in it where....

now almost everyone recognizes mitchell and webb in the uk from various classic comedy sketch shows etc. and they do the same job for me as the US ones did... and that is get a few laughs and inform me of various strenghts that the mac has! and when i first saw the US ones i didnt own a mac and along with needing one for my course the adds made me go for the mega bucks and get a 24inch instead of what i originaly planned on getting which was just a mac book.

people i have spoken to who have seen them thought they were funny and in that way the adverts work if they get a few people talking about them etc. and a few laughs it raises intress in apple and with apple stores poping up all over the place now people will mabey have a look instead of turning the blind eye and could get converted!

GoKyu
Mar 15, 2007, 09:42 PM
Being from the US, I do tend to like the US ads more, but that's not really the only reason...

1. As others have said, the UK Mac is really rather drab and not very "hip" as opposed to the US Mac.

2. In the same vein, the UK PC almost seems to have more fun, as he comes off more sprightly and energetic than UK Mac.

3. I do enjoy hearing the different slang used between the US and UK ads which are very similar. (e.g. in "Pie Chart": "Just kicking it" vs. "Tomfoolery")

I still prefer the US "Network" ad, although it would've been nice to get subtitles like in the UK version. Mac: "Hajime ma*****!" Camera: "Hajime Ma*****!" (Greeting each other for the first time.)

I'm about to get my first Mac as well - the ads weren't the main reason that I'm switching, but they sure didn't hurt :)

-Bryan

iancapable
Mar 28, 2007, 12:15 AM

Agreed, there is no such thing as bad advertising... Look at all the horrible ads we have here on uk TV, as long as the product sells (which it is) that's the important thing and by the looks of things the apple store in london is still always rammed.