PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone Ad on the NYC 5th Avenue Store

MacRumors
Mar 12, 2007, 11:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Looks like Apple is continuing to build awareness for the Apple iPhone. On Monday March 12th, workers at the 5th Avenue Apple Store in New York City posted a large iPhone ad on one full side of the glass structure.

The ad showed an iPhone with the words "Introducing iPhone. Apple reinvents the phone." Photos were taken by Matthew Yohe (mailto:matt.yohe@gmail.com):

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/03/12/store_200.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/03/12/store3_200.jpg
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/03/12/store1_200.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/03/12/store2_200.jpg

For unknown reasons, the ad was removed later in the day.

Full size images linked from article (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/12/apple-iphone-ad-on-the-nyc-5th-avenue-store/)

puckhead193
Mar 13, 2007, 12:00 AM
links don't work...

edit - it works now. I can't stand see ads for the iphone, it makes me want one really really bad... i can't wait!

APPLENEWBIE
Mar 13, 2007, 12:01 AM
Man, is that going to look cool at night...

edit: Had it not been taken down...

EricNau
Mar 13, 2007, 12:02 AM
For unknown reasons, the ad was removed later in the day.
The entire Ad was taken down? Oh well, Steve Jobs probably wants the bolts replaced again. :D

twoodcc
Mar 13, 2007, 12:02 AM
that's a cool ad

Matthew Yohe
Mar 13, 2007, 12:04 AM
The entire Ad was taken down? Oh well, Steve Jobs probably wants the bolts replaced again. :D

Yeah it was very weird.. I took the photos around 2 EDT today and was out an about later in the evening for some dinner (around 9 EDT) and it was gone. There were though people still on the scaffolding and they were obviously doing "something"

Ill try to get out there tomorrow.. I assume something will have changed.

photomaniac
Mar 13, 2007, 12:05 AM
Sweet! Awesome promotional idea! WOW! ...I'm sure they'll put it back up!

arn
If anyone's in new york city, run by and take a look in the morning to see. It may have gone back up. Matt (the guy who took the pictures) said the ad wasn't there around 9pm, but the scaffolding was still up.

arn

Zwhaler
Apple are strange fellows, I wonder why it was removed.

Tork
Mar 13, 2007, 12:06 AM
Odd that the TV "Hello" ad had "AT&T" in the upper left of the iPhone's screen, and this ad still says "Cingular."

arn
Mar 13, 2007, 12:12 AM
Looks like a couple of other people noticed it:

http://flickr.com/photos/goincase/419177827/
http://flickr.com/photos/realchittagong/419228421/

arn

japanime
Mar 13, 2007, 12:13 AM
Maybe the folks who put up the iPhone ad were the same ones who jumped the gun by listing the 8-core Mac Pros on the Apple Store website.

Ooops!

:D

dejo
Mar 13, 2007, 12:14 AM
Odd that the TV "Hello" ad had "AT&T" in the upper left of the iPhone's screen, and this ad still says "Cingular."
That would be a very strong reason to take it down. A "new at&t" rep walked by and said WTF!

vjl323
Mar 13, 2007, 12:14 AM
Apple are strange fellows, I wonder why it was removed.

On apple.com/iphone [where the text in the top left still says, "Cingular"], the bottom of the page states:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

They aren't putting a price or anything on the display [nor the Oscars TV ad], but couldn't both the TV ad and this one be seen as going against the FCC text above. It can't be offered for sale until it passes all the tests. Do TV and "glass" ads count as being offered for sale?

/vjl/

Rot'nApple
Mar 13, 2007, 12:20 AM
Looks like it was "etched on frosted glass" and light enough to see through. Very ingenious of Apple. Although it looks kind of like something out of George Orwell's "1984".

However, a better advertising campaign would be for Apple to hire former Star Trek TNG actors that portrayed "The Borg" and they can stand next to "The Cube", Apple's Cube, with the iPhone ad and the Borg character's can hold iPhones during the June launch, showing it to passerbys, saying, dare I say...

"You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!":D

Go :apple:

DOUGHNUT
Mar 13, 2007, 12:21 AM
On apple.com/iphone [where the text in the top left still says, "Cingular"], the bottom of the page states:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

They aren't putting a price or anything on the display [nor the Oscars TV ad], but couldn't both the TV ad and this one be seen as going against the FCC text above. It can't be offered for sale until it passes all the tests. Do TV and "glass" ads count as being offered for sale?

/vjl/

for sale means that it can actually be bought in a store. Advertisement doesnt necessarily mean it is for sale.

I'd like to see a big X on the cube on the day of Leopard's release. That'd be totally cool. It'd be like an "X-Box"

ninewhereman
Mar 13, 2007, 12:21 AM
Cingular and AT&T are one the same.

Cool ad weird that they took it down. Can't wait to hear what is up tomorrow. Probably something about eight core Mac Pro's that will be taken down an hour later.

jordo
Mar 13, 2007, 12:23 AM
What a literally brilliant concept. That ad will be back in a similar form, if not the original design, I'm sure. I wish I could have seen that ad at night. Maybe workers put it on the wrong side of the store, uh, front or in this case, side. Better yet, maybe Apple’s creatives thought of a way to slam Microsoft AND promote the iPhone. Someone has to update us tomorrow…

MacSamurai
Mar 13, 2007, 12:23 AM
they probably took it down to put up the mac pro ad now that someone has messed things up lol.Looked cool while it lasted,oh well.

Flowbee
Mar 13, 2007, 12:24 AM

I don't think that saying "coming soon" counts as offering it for sale. The photo of the iPhone, along with all the marketing materials, have been on Apple's website since it was announced. That's not an offer for sale, either.

Rot'nApple
Mar 13, 2007, 12:25 AM

/vjl/

I look at it as an upcoming event. Kind of like how you can view a movie trailer that is coming in April but you can't buy a ticket today. It's coming, it's just not here yet.:rolleyes:

Rot'nApple
Mar 13, 2007, 12:27 AM
I'd like to see a big X on the cube on the day of Leopard's release. That'd be totally cool. It'd be like an "X-Box"

"X-Box", Now that's FUNNY!:D

motulist
Mar 13, 2007, 12:28 AM
Forgive me for caring about picayune little things like preserving the public's rights and having companies uphold their legal obligations to the people, but isn't this overstepping the bounds of their legal usage rights?

That clear open courtyard space was mandated by the government in exchange for allowing the builders of the sky scrapper to build their building so high. When Apple got approval for building their store there it was because their structure was a clear glass cube that preserved the sight lines and openness of the public area that was granted to the public. Now by turning the structure into basically a giant billboard Apple has really abused the special grant they were bestowed when they were allowed to build a commercial structure on what was legally supposed to be an open public space.

I'm a huge fan of Apple products, but they're really abusing the special permission they were granted and are abusing the public's trust.

areyouwishing
Mar 13, 2007, 12:28 AM
Hmm, the city may have asked them to take it down. There are some strict regulations regarding advertising on buildings like that.

iMeowbot
Mar 13, 2007, 12:31 AM
It's fine, as long as they don't say they're taking orders or deposits or reservations or anything like that. The only real consequence of this kind of promotion is that the FCC won't give Apple full confidentiality for their application. Apple chose to disclose the product themselves, so it's not that big a deal, but they also lose some flexibility in keeping implementations details private before release.

nagromme
Mar 13, 2007, 12:36 AM
I'm a huge fan of Apple products, but they're really abusing the special permission they were granted and are abusing the public's trust.

What are the details of that special permission? How did you find about these details?

The sign is still transparent, at least. I don't know what details you have on the arrangement, but I can imagine such signage being allowed in that agreement and planned for all along.

I can easily also imagine them putting it up without checking first to see if its OK :D EDIT: or how much it would cost!

(PS, I bet it's got holes like those annoying bus ads. I hate riding in those things!)

motulist
Mar 13, 2007, 12:41 AM
What are the details of that special permission? How did you find about these details?

It was all over the news in new york when they first got permission to build it because these public spaces mandated in exchange for building sky scrappers are (were) sacrosanct until Apple got this special permission on the condition that it was to be all glass and preserve the openness of the public area.

nagromme
Mar 13, 2007, 12:45 AM
It was all over the news in new york when they first got permission to build it because these public spaces mandated in exchange for building sky scrappers are (were) sacrosanct until Apple got this special permission on the condition that it was to be all glass and preserve the openness of the public area.

I wonder though if they found the same loophole that buses use: it's "transparent" AND an ad.

imacdaddy
Mar 13, 2007, 01:04 AM
Hmm, the city may have asked them to take it down. There are some strict regulations regarding advertising on buildings like that.

If the Ad wasn't translucent, then there "may" have been an issue. But I'm sure they'd checked that long ago.

Flowbee
Mar 13, 2007, 01:05 AM
Forgive me for caring about picayune little things like preserving the public's rights and having companies uphold their legal obligations to the people, but isn't this overstepping the bounds of their legal usage rights?...

...I'm a huge fan of Apple products, but they're really abusing the special permission they were granted and are abusing the public's trust.

It was only up for a couple of hours. Perhaps Apple is only planning to use this graphic on the launch day of the iPhone, and not as a permanent billboard. And perhaps they already have approval from the city. Or perhaps today's demo was part of the approval process. My point is that we really don't know anything about the plans for this display, and I think it's a little premature to assume the worst about Apple's intentions.

One thing we do know, however, is that it's high-profile enough to assume that any special permission Apple needs, Apple will get. They don't want to go into the iPhone launch under a cloud of bad publicity.

MrCrowbar
Mar 13, 2007, 01:13 AM
And perhaps they already have approval from the city. Or perhaps today's demo was part of the approval process.

Makes sense.

Apple: "Can we put like a giant translucent banner for the iPhone that covers one whole side of the store?"
City: "Hmm depends how translucent it is."
Apple: "I'll show you."
[...]
City: "Yea... that's kinda too opaque, take it down."
Apple: "Hmmm, is it ok if we put it on the inside of the building, behind the glass?"
City: "I guess that would work since it's not advertising on the building, but inside it. Put in a bunch of free iPhones and we have a deal." :p

p0intblank
Mar 13, 2007, 01:39 AM
Wow, that... is... awesome! :eek: I love Apple's style of advertising. It's seriously so great. Now I want to go there just to look at the ad.

deanbo
Mar 13, 2007, 01:39 AM
"For unknown reasons, the ad was (temporarily?) removed later in the day." Would that be because you can't even buy it yet?

stephenli
Mar 13, 2007, 01:43 AM

excuse me but pls dont compare OSX's "X" with X-Box's "X" of which generally shows a lack of design sense.

ok...i know i personally hate M$ hence personally hate X-Box....forgive me..

BrandonKea
Mar 13, 2007, 01:43 AM
Forgive me for caring about picayune little things like preserving the public's rights and having companies uphold their legal obligations to the people, but isn't this overstepping the bounds of their legal usage rights?

That clear open courtyard space was mandated by the government in exchange for allowing the builders of the sky scrapper to build their building so high. When Apple got approval for building their store there it was because their structure was a clear glass cube that preserved the sight lines and openness of the public area that was granted to the public. Now by turning the structure into basically a giant billboard Apple has really abused the special grant they were bestowed when they were allowed to build a commercial structure on what was legally supposed to be an open public space.

Don't you think Apple's legal department would have a handle on something like that?

Maybe they just took it down for more of a publicity buzz, I'm sure it'll be back up later.

motulist
Mar 13, 2007, 01:48 AM
Don't you think Apple's legal department would have a handle on something like that?

Even if they did somehow secure a waiver for temporary advertising, which is possible but doubtful, it's still a violation of the public's trust.

matticus008
Mar 13, 2007, 01:50 AM
It probably came down for adjustments and fitting. Since you can't take precise measurements of a building easily, you often have to employ a trial run if you're doing something more complex than a banner or poster. You only have the specifications of the building, which are never entirely accurate to the actual structure. The fact that it went up and then came down so quickly doesn't necessarily amount to anything other than this.

At a company as meticulous as Apple, they also could easily have wanted to make adjustments for lighting and glare and to make sure that it achieves the desired effect.

Even if they did somehow secure a waiver for temporary advertising, which is possible but doubtful, it's still a violation of the public's trust.
That presupposes that the public has any interest in the details. It's not often the case that they do. There are a number of local ordinances here preventing the construction of Target, but the city offered a referendum on making concessions. The people decided that they'd rather have a Target than enforce the square footage limit. In Apple's situation, this is compounded by the fact that the real estate is private property in any case and has nothing to do with trust or even with preservation of open spaces--it's all a front for other government concerns.

aswitcher
Mar 13, 2007, 02:45 AM

Surely there must be some public record if this is what happened.

koobcamuk
Mar 13, 2007, 02:53 AM
What a literally brilliant concept. That ad will be back in a similar form, if not the original design, I'm sure. I wish I could have seen that ad at night. Maybe workers put it on the wrong side of the store, uh, front or in this case, side. Better yet, maybe Apple’s creatives thought of a way to slam Microsoft AND promote the iPhone. Someone has to update us tomorrow…
I would bet... something... that this is not a mistake by anyone or group of people. Clever advertising. Expect this all year.

Darkroom
Mar 13, 2007, 03:09 AM
Looks like it was "etched on frosted glass" and light enough to see through.

i wasn't etched on frosted glass honey... it's multi-part contemporary banner printing is all...

MattyMac
Mar 13, 2007, 04:15 AM
If anyone's in new york city, run by and take a look in the morning to see. It may have gone back up. Matt (the guy who took the pictures) said the ad wasn't there around 9pm, but the scaffolding was still up.

arn

I work in NYC, but its one too many blocks to walk during my lunch break. I bet they will have some sort of relase party there in June...I'll be there for sure!

MacRumorsReader
Mar 13, 2007, 04:37 AM
I believe the reasoning goes something like this:

Okay Steve we got it up.
"Well send me pictures"
Here you go.
"Which idiot do I need to fire?"
Excuse me?
"It isn't facing the street! How are all the passer-bys going to gawk at its majesty if it is facing the sidewalk?"
I guess I just take the rest of the year off.
"That's sounds nice. And if you could make a video about it on youtube that will give us some more free publicity."

California
Mar 13, 2007, 05:04 AM

OMG. Since when did NYC turn communist? let it go bro. It's just a beautiful building. Abusing the public's trust? What abuses my public trust and aesthetic sensibilities is seeing ugly Zunes and fat ugly Dells everywhere. Now that's eye abuse. You do know the word "politically correct" was an actual "legal" charge that communists used to use against people who did not believe Marx/Leninism the way they wanted them to believe? Do some homework and curtail the nascent Stalinism.

rdowns
Mar 13, 2007, 05:09 AM
OMG. Since when did NYC turn communist?

We are still undergoing the transformation that began under Tsar Giuliani. The move to ban trans-fats in restaurants and banning iPods and the like while crossing the street are simply the latest.

Frisco
Mar 13, 2007, 06:08 AM
We are still undergoing the transformation that began under Tsar Giuliani. The move to ban trans-fats in restaurants and banning iPods and the like while crossing the street are simply the latest.

So true! I miss pre-Giuliani NYC. Now it's all yuppies and Times Square looks like Disneyland :mad:

mrowl
Mar 13, 2007, 06:18 AM

ummm... it would be a parking lot if cars could get up there. If you call that a public space, the people of NYC are getting screwed. Do they not know anything about grass? or trees? horrible design.

mrat93
Mar 13, 2007, 06:57 AM
My guess is that they were just waiting for Daylight Savings Time started/ended (I forget which) so more people would see it. As for taking it down, I have no clue.

motulist
Mar 13, 2007, 07:15 AM
No offense to anyone in particular, but a lot of you guys are making yourself look pretty foolish to anyone that knows anything about this specific situation in New York. Why don't we just pave over Central Park and turn that into a mall too.

This is legally a public space folks, and it's use belongs to the citizens, not a corporation. Just because it's a company that produces products that we really like doesn't mean we should allow them to steal OUR public spaces.

fastred
Mar 13, 2007, 07:32 AM
No offense to anyone in particular, but a lot of you guys are making yourself look pretty foolish to anyone that knows anything about this specific situation in New York. Why don't we just pave over Central Park and turn that into a mall too.

This is legally a public space folks, and it's use belongs to the citizens, not a corporation. Just because it's a company that produces products that we really like doesn't mean we should allow them to steal OUR public spaces.

How precious. Really. So its ok to have a massive glass box, but the box can't have a picture on it? Angels on the head of a pin, mate....

mccldwll
Mar 13, 2007, 07:34 AM
Building should remain transparent if that was the deal. Now, if didn't need to be transparent, how about a giant LCD screen--a couple hundred 30" cinema displays united to create a single image. Better yet, use the transparent "future mac" cinema displays (moc ups have appeared here often). Those screens will be here eventually.

motulist
Mar 13, 2007, 07:36 AM
... So its ok to have a massive glass box, but the box can't have a picture on it?

Yes, as a matter of fact, that's pretty much exactly the zoning exception they were granted. So in your attempt at sarcasm you happened to actually present the true non-sarcastic fact.

pilotError
Mar 13, 2007, 07:40 AM
They probably screwed up and pulled the wrong ad out of the boxes.

"I said the Apple TV Ad... That doesn't go up until June!"

motulist
Mar 13, 2007, 07:48 AM
I couldn't find much regarding this topic on google, but here's the basic tidbit:

"To preserve the public spirit of the plaza, Ms. Burden said it would be critical that "the cube itself is the advertising" and that signage be kept to a minimum. Apple typically marks its stores wordlessly, with an apple logo."

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5681

mi5moav
Mar 13, 2007, 07:53 AM
The ad will not come back. NY city has signage regulations and the other business reported Apple's Billboard and they were told to take it down. Steve is not allowed to use his cube as a billboard since he does not have a signage license the only signage that was granted was for the Apple Logo!!! If you want to buy some talke to LAMAR or TIME WARNER

Steve knew this, he is a... DO NOW, and ask questions later kind. He put up a sign that will be seen by millions on the net and get press and didn't have to pay a penny for it, not even a slap on the wrist. If he would have asked in the first place they would have said no...

Now, the interesting part is this!?!?! The signage was not OUTSIDE but INSIDE, and there are no rules against that!?!? But, because you can see it from the outside because the building is made of glass, hmmmmmm

Shaker
Mar 13, 2007, 07:59 AM
Now, the interesting part is this!?!?! The signage was not OUTSIDE but INSIDE, and there are no rules against that!?!? But, because you can see it from the outside because the building is made of glass, hmmmmmm

If Apple gets through because of this loophole, their creativity extends far beyond their products....:apple: :D :apple:

JGowan
Mar 13, 2007, 08:02 AM
They probably screwed up and pulled the wrong ad out of the boxes.

"I said the Apple TV Ad... That doesn't go up until June!"Yeah... that happened. It took works 4 hours to put the thing up and nobody from management noticed a thing. Right.

About the June thing. Why has done nothing but advertise the iPhone on their homepage since Macworld if that's the case?!

appie57
Mar 13, 2007, 08:04 AM

If the ad is on the inside, why is the scaffolding on the outside?:confused:

apb3
Mar 13, 2007, 08:15 AM
Yes, as a matter of fact, that's pretty much exactly the zoning exception they were granted. So in your attempt at sarcasm you happened to actually present the true non-sarcastic fact.

Heh... I like your argument style in this thread.

At least in this instance I can observe the "back and forth" from afar instead of getting beat over the head by my wife.:D

ero87
Mar 13, 2007, 08:16 AM
These photos made me think of something... the NYC Apple store probably kills dozens of birds a DAY who can't see the damn thing!

timnosenzo
Mar 13, 2007, 08:22 AM
I couldn't find much regarding this topic on google, but here's the basic tidbit:

"To preserve the public spirit of the plaza, Ms. Burden said it would be critical that "the cube itself is the advertising" and that signage be kept to a minimum. Apple typically marks its stores wordlessly, with an apple logo."

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5681

I hope it doesn't go back up, they shouldn't be able to use the store as a billboard. Looks like hell.

daysleeper
Mar 13, 2007, 08:35 AM
I'd wager the city made them take it down, and for good reason. It is a ridiculous, garish, oppressive abuse of what was originally designed to be an area in the spirit of a public open space.

This doesn't strike me as a good example of Apple's (usually) great, minimalist type of advertising.

Evangelion
Mar 13, 2007, 08:46 AM
Instead of wetting my pants over an ad, I would like to see some actual products instead. It seems that everything is at hold, waiting for the iPhone. iPod? No new video-iPods before iPhone ships. Is Apple forgetting that they have a huge established market with the iPod, whereas with the iPhone they are entering an EXTREMELY competetive market, with a untested product? Neither have we seen anything about iWork, iLife, Leopard, Mac Mini or anything else for that matter.

Yes, the iPhone is cool. But come on Apple! We could really use an special-event where SJ announces new hardware, secret features of Leopard and new version of iWork and iLife.

Sandfleaz
Mar 13, 2007, 08:58 AM
That is ( or was ) one BIG iPhone!

bretm
Mar 13, 2007, 09:00 AM
Instead of wetting my pants over an ad, I would like to see some actual products instead. It seems that everything is at hold, waiting for the iPhone. iPod? No new video-iPods before iPhone ships. Is Apple forgetting that they have a huge established market with the iPod, whereas with the iPhone they are entering an EXTREMELY competetive market, with a untested product? Neither have we seen anything about iWork, iLife, Leopard, Mac Mini or anything else for that matter.

Yes, the iPhone is cool. But come on Apple! We could really use an special-event where SJ announces new hardware, secret features of Leopard and new version of iWork and iLife.

Your sig says "Anyone that claims Apple has abandoned the mac is a retard." So, just what are you claiming?

apb3
Mar 13, 2007, 09:02 AM
These photos made me think of something... the NYC Apple store probably kills dozens of birds a DAY who can't see the damn thing!

As long as they're culling the horde of rats-with-wings, I'm all for that "abuse of public trust."

mccldwll
Mar 13, 2007, 09:25 AM
I haven't been to NY since store went up. Is there any space inside large enough to hang the clear sign in some kind of frame? Use all the news from brief exposure to drive even more people into store to see all the toys.

AidenShaw
Mar 13, 2007, 09:35 AM
I haven't been to NY since store went up. Is there any space inside large enough to hang the clear sign in some kind of frame? Use all the news from brief exposure to drive even more people into store to see all the toys.

The issue is blocking the view - the building permit was for a virtually "invisible" building to keep the illusion of an open plaza.

Where the billboards are mounted shouldn't make any difference....

Koodauw
Mar 13, 2007, 09:35 AM
So what's the word today? is it back up or is there nothing as of yet?

Evangelion
Mar 13, 2007, 09:42 AM
Your sig says "Anyone that claims Apple has abandoned the mac is a retard." So, just what are you claiming?

My sig is directed to the people who feel that Apple only cares about iPod, and is negletting the Mac. When fact is that during the last few years Apple has paid more attention to the Mac than before. But as things are right now, Apple is negletting EVERYTHING. Except iPhone. Which is still months away.

We do not have new Mac-hardware. There has been no news about iLife or iWork. No news about Leopard. No news regarding ITMS. And no news about iPods. AppleTV? Delayed. the big news recently have been the AppleTV and iPhone, neither of which is actually available.

My comment does not make my sig any less valid. It's just that instead of Apple focusing on iPod and negletting Mac, Apple isn't focusing on anything right now. Well, they are focusing on a piece of hardware that will be vaporware for months to come.

Take the iPod for example: Rumours say that there will be no new video-iPod any time soon, so it wouldn't steal iPhone's thunder. Um, iPod is not a replacement for a phone, or vice versa. And has Apple forgotten that iPod is bringing them metric assload of cash right now, whereas iPhone isn't bringing in any? Has Apple forgotten that while iPhone is very advanced and genuinely new when compared to other phones, competition is getting harder in the mp3-business? Yes, Zune sucks, but anyone who brushes it off as crap is doing everyone a huge disservice. It's Microsoft's first effort. Look at Xbox and Playstation. PS2 annihiliated the original Xbox. What about PS3 and Xbox360? Is Sony still laughing?

mattscott306
Mar 13, 2007, 09:50 AM
<Angry Rant>

What? :apple: Has been taking care of their other products, they are not late on iLife or Leopard, or anything else they have promised. Leopards ship date is set for the first half of 2007, and they haven't missed that time frame yet. It would be ludicrous to assume that :apple: was ignoring their other lines, when they have entire departments whose job is solely to work on those products. Sure, we have heard more about the iPhone then anything else, perhaps because this is :apple:’s new thing?

Greatbug
Mar 13, 2007, 09:50 AM
Am I the only guy who thinks this may be photoshopped? Seriously, It's a translucent square. Even I could do that convincingly. . .

arn
Mar 13, 2007, 09:56 AM
Am I the only guy who thinks this may be photoshopped? Seriously, It's a translucent square. Even I could do that convincingly. . .

A couple of other people saw it too

http://flickr.com/photos/goincase/419177827/
http://flickr.com/photos/realchittagong/419228421/

arn

Evangelion
Mar 13, 2007, 10:10 AM
What? Apple Has been taking care of their other products, they are not late on iLife or Leopard, or anything else they have promised.

Yep, you are right. But that doesn't change the fact that people are getting frustrated when all the attention is on products that are not even available yet, whereas the existing moneymakers are not getting any attention.

Leopards ship date is set for the first half of 2007, and they haven't missed that time frame yet.

No, they haven't. But at this point in time people are starting to ask "where are those top-secret features we were told about?".

It would be ludicrous to assume that Apple was ignoring their other lines

They have been ignoring them, as far as not telling anyone about them. At all. They were hardly mentioned at all in MacWorld. There has been no announcements regarding them since MacWorld (and they were practically ingored at Macworld as well). All the attention has been on iPhone and AppleTV. And where are those two? Nowhere to be seen.

Can you see the problem?

when they have entire departments whose job is solely to work on those products.

I did not say that Apple is not working on their existing products. What I did say that their corporate-focus has been moving elsewhere recently. And the bad thing is that it has been moving towards products that are not available. It's like Apple is telling us "good thing are coming! Honest! Just wait!".

Take the iPod. It received a ho-hum update last year. And apparently Apple is afraid to further improve the product since "it would steal iPhone's thunder". Is it just me, or is the iPhone a dead albatross around Apple's neck? Yes, iPhone is great product. But it's starting to seem that it's actually slowing down developement in other product, because Apple is afraid that those "other products" might become so good that people are not going to buy the iPhone. Do they not realize that iPhone and iPod are not really alternatives to each other?

Sure, we have heard more about the iPhone then anything else, perhaps because this is Apple's new thing?

In case like this, maybe they should put their money where their mouth is? They keep on talking about it, even though it's nowhere to be seen. It's still months away from USA, and about 6 months away from Europe.

Yes, it seems that Apple is about to upgrade the Mac Pro at least. But fact remains that for the entire 2007, it has been pretty quiet as far as anything else than iPhone and AppleTV is concerned. That is a fact. Hopefully that will change soon, but fact remains that so far, it has been pretty.... lame.

Rocketman
Mar 13, 2007, 10:16 AM

Your basis for this is "sightline disturbance". However if you look at the sightlines all but a very few are fully preserved. The ad is on one small portion of one SIDE of the cube. The sightlines from the front and near front are preserved and only two 5 degree angles of view are "impeaded" by the ad.

I bet the ad goes up for a limited time at some point. Like 2-7 days.

A similar experience for other Apple products in the future as well. It was certainly tasteful and attractive.

Rocketman

CEAbiscuit
Mar 13, 2007, 10:16 AM
Actually looks like the iPhone is getting more press by taking down the ad than putting it up. Mission accomplished.

bretm
Mar 13, 2007, 10:41 AM
My sig is directed to the people who feel that Apple only cares about iPod, and is negletting the Mac. When fact is that during the last few years Apple has paid more attention to the Mac than before. But as things are right now, Apple is negletting EVERYTHING. Except iPhone. Which is still months away.

We do not have new Mac-hardware. There has been no news about iLife or iWork. No news about Leopard. No news regarding ITMS. And no news about iPods. AppleTV? Delayed. the big news recently have been the AppleTV and iPhone, neither of which is actually available.

My comment does not make my sig any less valid. It's just that instead of Apple focusing on iPod and negletting Mac, Apple isn't focusing on anything right now. Well, they are focusing on a piece of hardware that will be vaporware for months to come.

Take the iPod for example: Rumours say that there will be no new video-iPod any time soon, so it wouldn't steal iPhone's thunder. Um, iPod is not a replacement for a phone, or vice versa. And has Apple forgotten that iPod is bringing them metric assload of cash right now, whereas iPhone isn't bringing in any? Has Apple forgotten that while iPhone is very advanced and genuinely new when compared to other phones, competition is getting harder in the mp3-business? Yes, Zune sucks, but anyone who brushes it off as crap is doing everyone a huge disservice. It's Microsoft's first effort. Look at Xbox and Playstation. PS2 annihiliated the original Xbox. What about PS3 and Xbox360? Is Sony still laughing?

I don't think it makes your points any less valid. But sure sounds like you think they'd abandoned the mac. Close enough. Neglected, abandoned, whatever. Your post is the most complaining I've heard so far. I haven't actually heard anyone say that Apple has abandoned the mac. You're the closest. And, aparently, you're calling yourself a retard. Which isn't very nice. Your points are valid to a small point. But in fact, I don't quite get the uproar. The MacPro is only 5 months old if that! That computer was a complete redesign from the drive bays to the motherboard. So what if the case still looks familiar. What's wrong with the case? It's genius. The MacBook and MB Pro came out a year ago and have already had processor upgrades. The new operating system is about to be released. iLife, iWork, and FCP Extreme are about to be released. 8 core macs are about to be released. Rumors of new lcds with built in isights abound. Apple's computer market share and stock is growing by unheard of factors. They have the fastest personal computers with the newest processors for the lowest price. What do you have to complain about, and why are you calliing yourself a retard? It's bizarre.

mi5moav
Mar 13, 2007, 10:44 AM
Actually looks like the iPhone is getting more press by taking down the ad than putting it up. Mission accomplished.

Exactly, Shoot then ask questions later. I can guarantee that Steve and his boys never asked for permission, they knew it wouldn't be allowed. I do this all the time at my store which is in a historic district in Boston. I am not allowed to put up signage. But one a month I put it up and I get a call from the city to take it down or I'll get fined... so, I take it down. But it goes right back up 32 days later, i've been doing it for 15 years. Unless the damn commissioners change the wording of the ordinance I'll keep doing it and So, shall Apple.

bretm
Mar 13, 2007, 10:45 AM
Your basis for this is "sightline disturbance". However if you look at the sightlines all but a very few are fully preserved. The ad is on one small portion of one SIDE of the cube. The sightlines from the front and near front are preserved and only two 5 degree angles of view are "impeaded" by the ad.

I bet the ad goes up for a limited time at some point. Like 2-7 days.

A similar experience for other Apple products in the future as well. It was certainly tasteful and attractive.

Rocketman

??? The ENTIRE side of a cube contains the ad. A cube which was barely allowed only because it was entirely glass with no words.

How do you come up with 5° btw? If I'm standing a mile away it only blocks a half a degree. If I'm standing in front of the cube it blocks up to 180°.

gkarris
Mar 13, 2007, 10:54 AM

All the interviews with Sony execs kinda state is - yes, Sony IS still laughing...

As far as Apple, they are advertising and heavily pushing a phone that I cannot afford and is not available for my carrier...

Like Sony and the PS3 - maybe Apple is worried whether anyone will buy such an expensive specialized (available for only 1 carrier) device.

People are not going to stop buying Macs or iPods when the iPhone is out...

cepler
Mar 13, 2007, 11:51 AM

Lets not forget the ban on photography. New York, the city where you're a terrorist for merely trying to take a picture!

zwida
Mar 13, 2007, 12:01 PM
Lets not forget the ban on photography. New York, the city where you're a terrorist for merely trying to take a picture!

If you're referring to the ban on photography in the subway, that was dropped.

Evangelion
Mar 13, 2007, 12:33 PM
All the interviews with Sony execs kinda state is - yes, Sony IS still laughing...

Then they are retards. 360 has a one year lead on PS3, and PS3 brings practically nothing to the table that 360 doesn't already offer for less price. Whereas PS3's are left standing in the store-shelves, people are busy trying to buya Nintendo Wii.

Sony had a huge lead with PS2. With PS3 they did just about everything wrong.

Evangelion
Mar 13, 2007, 12:49 PM
Your post is the most complaining I've heard so far. I haven't actually heard anyone say that Apple has abandoned the mac. You're the closest.

In just about every single discussion about iPods, there's someone who claims that they are just focusing on the iPod and negletting the Mac. But looking at the two, it's quite obvious that they have not been negletting the Mac, while iPod gets all the attention.

But what about now? Well, they haven't said a word about ANYTHING, apart from AppleTV and iPhone. And the weird thing is that neither of those are shipping. iPhone is nowhere near of shipping. Where's the attention to their existing products? Keynote at Macworld? 100% dedicated to products that were not going to be available for a while. So another event with more announcements? Nope. It's been over two months and we have heard nothing.

And, aparently, you're calling yourself a retard.

Apparently, you are missing the point.

The MacPro is only 5 months old if that!

And during that time there has been announcements by Intel that others that relate to Mac Pro. Has Mac Pro changed? Nope. Has the price been reduced? Nope.

That computer was a complete redesign from the drive bays to the motherboard. So what if the case still looks familiar.

Um, where exactly did I say ANYTHING related to the case of Mac Pro?

What's wrong with the case? It's genius.

Again: where did I say anything related to the case?

The MacBook and MB Pro came out a year ago and have already had processor upgrades. The new operating system is about to be released. iLife, iWork, and FCP Extreme are about to be released.

Well whooppee. Where are the new "top secret" features of Leopard? Shouldn't third-parties be testing them by now? Where's the true video iPod? Any news regarding international movie-sales? And you keep on saying hiw "stuff is about to happen". Hope so, but that doesn't change the fact that so far this year has been a letdown. Yes, we have the iPhone, but it's vaporware. As is AppleTV.

Problem is that Apple isn't saying anything. When they do say something, it's usually about the iPhone which is still vaporware.

What do you have to complain about, and why are you calliing yourself a retard? It's bizarre.

You just don't "get it", do you? the problem is that Apple only talks of their upcoming products. Where are the announcements related to everything else they do? Why are they dragging their feet on the iPod?

Yes, iPhone is cool, but they seem to be forgetting that they do have other product-lines as well. Product-lines that are bringing in millions as we speak. Yet there has been no hardware-announcements, no software-announcements, no nothing. We have had RUMOURS, but that doesn't cut it. Lots of people were expecting announcements at MacWorld. Nope. How about special-events after MacWorld? Nope. How about silent releases? Nope.

What't the end-result? We get all excited over an ad. For the phone. Why is that? Because there's nothing else to talk about. Apple might release cool new stuff two hours from now, but that doesn't change the fact that so far this years has been very boring, apart from iPhone and AppleTV.

Of course it might be that they are about to release something HUGE, which is why they are keeping silent. And I would love to see that. Believe me.

dgtlchild
Mar 13, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hi all,

I happened to be at the store last nite around 7pmEST. I walked north up 5th Ave to get there, which is exactly the best route to take to see the sign.

A few thoughts:
1. I was hoping there would be units on display in the store that I could play with once I descended the (tricky) stairs. No such luck.

2. Yeah, the sign was real. And it covered the entire south face of the cube.

3. IMHO the sign did not complement the store. On its own, the cube is really very striking to see in-person. The ad marred that impression.

4. As someone who lives and works in Manhattan, I do appreciate and sometimes seek out these public spaces. The city can be relentless on a day-to-day basis, so it's satisfying to step out of the grid for a moment.

Best,
j

bigmc6000
Mar 13, 2007, 01:15 PM

Really - you've got to be kidding me??? This has to be the most asinine things I have ever read on this site - and that's saying A LOT.

Putting up a transparent ad is violating the public's trust - that's just funny. I really hope this is just a joke otherwise you really, really, really, really need some help...

AidenShaw
Mar 13, 2007, 01:32 PM
Really - you've got to be kidding me??? This has to be the most asinine things I have ever read on this site - and that's saying A LOT.

Putting up a transparent ad is violating the public's trust - that's just funny. I really hope this is just a joke otherwise you really, really, really, really need some help...

I take it you're not a property owner who's had to deal with zoning issues.

Apple didn't have permission to build a big cubic billboard on the plaza. If they'd asked for that, they would never have received the building permits.

It is definitely a violation of trust for them to paste signs on the building - and probably a statutory violation of the terms and covenants associated with the building permits.

Why else would you think that the sign was removed so quickly?

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 13, 2007, 01:39 PM
I live in NYC, and I must say that a simple transluscent ad on the side of a glass cube is far more acceptable than the assload of luminous retinal rape that Times Square has to offer. Oh but all of that silly Las Vegas crap is allowed, so it's all good, even though it makes a mighty ugly pockmark on the city. Seriously after strolling through that gawdy monstrocity, you quickly forget something as simple and unobtrusive as this billboard, which is actually a lot smaller in person than the pictures would have you believe.

fastred
Mar 13, 2007, 01:55 PM
... So its ok to have a massive glass box, but the box can't have a picture on it?

It wasn't an attempt at anything. I think it is bizzare that it is OK to allow a large glass box, but not ok to have pictures on it. I guess New Yorkers are touchy about such things; oh well. Must be terrible living in such a fabulous city and having to put up with such corporate vandalism. [I know, I know... "exactly" you say...]

Much Ado
Mar 13, 2007, 02:19 PM
Once again we find ourselves discussing the iPhone...

I've got to hand it to them...this is top-notch marketing :)

MA.

nagromme
Mar 13, 2007, 02:19 PM
Yes, iPhone is cool, but they seem to be forgetting that they do have other product-lines as well. Product-lines that are bringing in millions as we speak. Yet there has been no hardware-announcements, no software-announcements, no nothing. We have had RUMOURS, but that doesn't cut it. Lots of people were expecting announcements at MacWorld. Nope. How about special-events after MacWorld? Nope. How about silent releases? Nope.

What't the end-result? We get all excited over an ad. For the phone. Why is that? Because there's nothing else to talk about. Apple might release cool new stuff two hours from now, but that doesn't change the fact that so far this years has been very boring, apart from iPhone and AppleTV.\

They're not forgetting other product lines at all. A little-known fact is that Apple has more than one group--the people who work on Macs and Mac OS are DIFFERENT people from the ones who work on iPods, and the ones who work on iPhones.

So... while the iPhone may be the latest news, the Mac team has still been coming to work :) There is no reason to suspect that the Mac team has been reduced in size to move people onto the iPod or iPhone. In fact, the iPod and iPhone can probably pay for their own team's salaries AND have profit left over :)

Now, if you're simply talking about Apple's PR, and find it "boring" or "no fun" that the iPhone is getting the attention... well, Apple's marketing is not designed to entertain you, or the public at large--it's designed to promote their products, in strategic ways that vary with their R&D and launch schedules. The entertainment factor of reading about big releases all the time is not the point. Too bad--that would be a fun world! And living up to "rumors" is not Apple's job either.

Fear not, Apple will sell new Macs too, and even advertise them. You may even find they had a good reason for choosing their timing. It might NOT be that they "forgot" to make more Macs :)

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 13, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'm very very certain that the vast majority of New Yorkers don't care. It's mainly people who are looking at the mandates and zoning laws that are at all concerned. With all of the temporary advertising, with the plethora of AMD banner ads that littered downtown Manhattan, with the multitude of blocked streets for promotional nonsense you'd think people would sort of let a little thing like a transluscent ad slide, especially since it was only up for a short period of time.

I don't get this whole frustration over lack of Mac updates. Seriously, the upgrades just came a few months ago. When Macbooks and Macbook pros were released people were bitching about getting core 2 duos. When they finally came, people decided hey...let's bitch about more upgrades! How quaint. The Mac Pro provides great power for a very reasonable price. Instead of being happy with a powerful quad core system, why not bitch about 8 cores? I have a rev A macbook, and despite initial kinks has matured into a very enjoyable, stable system that I've grown to adore. It doesn't sport your precious core 2 duo, but I have yet to see problems with my older chip.

Why should Apple constantly have conferences to reassure paranoid consumers? Leopard is not late. iLife '07 is not late. All but the Mini line has been refreshed recently and the Mac Pro, though the only intel-shifted model that has yet to actually see an upgrade since then, is one of those computers that you can easily squeeze life out of for a decade or more .

nagromme
Mar 13, 2007, 02:31 PM
I'm very very certain that the vast majority of New Yorkers don't care. It's mainly people who are looking at the mandates and zoning laws that are at all concerned.

If it violated laws, those laws should be followed. If not, and the sign goes back up, that will be amusing--and no worse an eyesore that the streets themselves, the litter, the big Apple logo sign that's already there, and most of the buildings :D

But next to nobody's actually concerned I would guess. Rather, there's entertainment to be had in finding fault with Apple, and if you can inflate that into "violating the public trust and giving cancer to puppies" or something, that's even MORE fun :D Apple bugs people--let them vent, however minor the issue they may have latched onto :)

I don't get this whole frustration over lack of Mac updates. Seriously, the upgrades just came a few months ago.

It's also possible--and this may be crazy talk--that Apple has models they could release shortly before Leopard, and are instead waiting to release them WITH Leopard. It makes a crazy kind of sense. You never know.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 13, 2007, 02:36 PM
I guess Apple should have just hired dozens of acrobats to cling to the side of the tower next to the store wearing color coordinated clothing to make out the image of an iPhone, much like Vista's promotion. :rolleyes:

I think you're right about the wait for the Leopard release. With its release being so close, it would make for an obscure stopgap to suddenly pump out yet more refreshed models sporting the same ol' Tiger. I'd much rather see new Macs with Leopard preloaded.

arn
Mar 13, 2007, 02:37 PM
anyone walked by the 5th avenue store today?

arn

oogje
Mar 13, 2007, 03:26 PM
... all of that silly Las Vegas crap is allowed...

Actually, it's required. City of New York Zoning Resolution: Article VIII Chapter 1 Section 81-732 - Special Times Square signage requirements.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 13, 2007, 03:45 PM
Ugh, that's even worse.

MrCrowbar
Mar 13, 2007, 04:05 PM
I live in NYC, and I must say that a simple transluscent ad on the side of a glass cube is far more acceptable than the assload of luminous retinal rape that Times Square has to offer. Oh but all of that silly Las Vegas crap is allowed, so it's all good, even though it makes a mighty ugly pockmark on the city. Seriously after strolling through that gawdy monstrocity, you quickly forget something as simple and unobtrusive as this billboard, which is actually a lot smaller in person than the pictures would have you believe.

I've been to New York recently and I totally agree with the "luminous retinal rape". I's cool you don't need a flash when taking pictures a night at all tho.

The Apple store actually is pretty tiny. It looks like a giant cube on pictures, but the real thing isn't really big. Maybe the translucent banner is already too subliminal, i.e. you don't notice it at first but the message burns itself into your mind like those phrases in movies that last for one frame telling you "eat popcorn" just before the main movie. You usually don't notice it, but it makes you wanna buy popcorn. Those subliminal messages are illiegal to some extent.
:D

PS: Have you noticed, that when you run iTunes visualizer, you like Apple more and more? It just pops up once in a while. Great drinking game by the way, when the mighty apple appears, drink something.

eagle33199
Mar 13, 2007, 04:09 PM
You just don't "get it", do you? the problem is that Apple only talks of their upcoming products. Where are the announcements related to everything else they do? Why are they dragging their feet on the iPod?

You seem to be the one who doesn't get it. The whole world knows Apple makes Macs. The whole world knows that Apple makes iPods. As a company, Apple could spend millions of dollars on ads and billboards and such promoting those products without gaining any market share over what they already have. In those particular arenas, people are pretty set in their ways. An ad about a Mac doesn't get talked about, and thus the company doesn't get talked about.

So instead, Apple advertises the new and exciting products, the ones that are going to "revolutionize the world". Prior to this year, not that many people knew about the iPhone. Now, everyone does. Every time people talk about the iPhone, which they're going to do because it's supposed to be superior to every other thing out there and the touch screen is pretty cool, they also talk about Apple. The more talk about the company, in general, that happens, the more the company is in the front of people's minds when they are going to make a new purchase.

Apple isn't doing its advertising to try to sell a particular product - it's trying to sell the company. iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, Mac, and iLife are all avenues the company is using to get itself into new households. Next week someone who has avoiding the Mac and iPod may go out and purchase the Apple TV because it fills a particular need of theirs. They get it home, open it up and realize how easy it is to use and how much it improves their life. A few months later, they drop their Zune down a sewer gutter and think "Well, that Zune was expensive and hard to use, maybe i'll try the iPod this time instead". Their PC shorts out? Try a Mac, it has to be as easy to use as that Apple TV you've been using.

Apple isn't a company that sells individual, unrelated products. It's a company that sells products designed to work seamlessly together to provide you with everything you need.

Quit harping on yesterdays news, and be happy that everyone is talking about Apple.

arn
Mar 13, 2007, 04:13 PM
Ads are truly gone. Said to be a "test".

arn

Matthew Yohe
Mar 13, 2007, 04:15 PM
as of 5pm EDT the "ad" is still down.

Also to clear things up.. The ad was made of the material that would be on the side of a metro bus. From the obverse you see the ad, from the reverse you see a tint to the glass.

psychofreak
Mar 13, 2007, 04:21 PM
It's fine, as long as they don't say they're taking orders or deposits or reservations or anything like that. The only real consequence of this kind of promotion is that the FCC won't give Apple full confidentiality for their application. Apple chose to disclose the product themselves, so it's not that big a deal, but they also lose some flexibility in keeping implementations details private before release.

What are the FCC doing? It does not take that long to test a phone, and the iPhone should be pretty high up on their list of priorities...

iMeowbot
Mar 13, 2007, 04:29 PM
What are the FCC doing?
Possibly nothing. Have Apple even submitted their application yet?
It does not take that long to test a phone,
the whole process can take a few months, and the testing is not done by FCC. Apple will need to pay a lab to do the actual work, just like everyone else.
and the iPhone should be pretty high up on their list of priorities...
It's a consumer toy like thousands of others, its really not very important in the real world.

Rot'nApple
Mar 13, 2007, 04:29 PM
What are the FCC doing? It does not take that long to test a phone, and the iPhone should be pretty high up on their list of priorities...

"It does not take that long to test a phone" - You're talking about the government here;)

Shouldn't take long to get your license at the DMV - government...

Should be easy to do your taxes without hiring a professional CPA - government...

Returning wounded warriors should have adequate room/board at Walter Reed Army Hospital - military which is a arm of, you guessed it, - government...

People voted new party into government to change course but all that has happened is non-binding resolutions and talk, talk, talk and no action because the new party in power has no backbone and conviction - government...

You're correct, shouldn't take long to test a phone, but - government...

psychofreak
Mar 13, 2007, 04:32 PM
I want it now...they're just doing this to annoy me

dmelgar
Mar 13, 2007, 04:37 PM
I agree that Apple isn't updating products fast enough. In a PowerPC world, maybe it was ok to update a product once a year, but in the Intel world, PCs get updated almost daily with price drops, new chipsets, faster CPUs. PC companies don't make any fuss because there's constant update.

Apple is still trying to do just a few updates with publicity. This doesn't work in the intel world. It makes their products very outdated unless you buy them immediately after an update.

They need to speed things up. There's no excuse for the Mini not having been updated at the same time as the Macbook.

Apple has alot of attention on them these days. They risk letting the hype get ahead of products. If they don't deliver, people will lose faith in Apple and their stock price and sales will go down.

Products where they're under-delivering include:
iPhone: No 3G. Still vaporware.
Apple TV: limited to 720p, no composite video. Still not available.
Macbook: still shipping with 60gig drive, $250 upgrade for 120gig drive when 120gig drives only cost $80. Everyone else is now shipping 120gig standard.
Leopard: No mention at "MAC"world, in fact no mention of anything "Mac" related at Mac-world. "Secret" features that appear to be non-existent. Early release rumors yet its looking like June is more likely.
Mini: Could have been a great media PC if they have used a 3.5" drive. Desperately needs an update. No desktop between Mini and MacPro.
Video iPod: MIA.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 13, 2007, 04:58 PM
Products where they're under-delivering include:
iPhone: No 3G. Still vaporware.
Apple TV: limited to 720p, no composite video. Still not available.
Macbook: still shipping with 60gig drive, $250 upgrade for 120gig drive when 120gig drives only cost $80. Everyone else is now shipping 120gig standard.
Leopard: No mention at "MAC"world, in fact no mention of anything "Mac" related at Mac-world. "Secret" features that appear to be non-existent. Early release rumors yet its looking like June is more likely.
Mini: Could have been a great media PC if they have used a 3.5" drive. Desperately needs an update. No desktop between Mini and MacPro.
Video iPod: MIA.

Why should Apple release the supposed "secret" features of a product before the actual release for sale? Wouldn't it make more sense to show off these new features when Leopard is shipping to stores?

The mini is a great media PC as is. A 3.5" drive would erase the mini. Part of the system's appeal is the very small size, something a 3.5" drive will never allow. Now I'd like to see the 200GB drive available BTO, that would sell me in an instant.

I'd much rather have the Mac Pro/Mini inbetween than simply stuffing a bulky 3.5" HDD into the mini itself.

Cult Follower
Mar 13, 2007, 04:59 PM
Steve Jobs must not have liked the final look of it, it looks a little too transparent in the pictures for my taste.

Iphone User
Mar 13, 2007, 05:17 PM
It just looks so cool!

MBPchef
Mar 13, 2007, 08:22 PM
The iphone add is no longer up. I was down there at 1pm today and there was nothing up. Kinda strange that they put something that big up and take it down within hours?

-John

EDIT : sorry, i missed the post earlier. Disregard.

Analog Kid
Mar 13, 2007, 10:16 PM
Since when did NYC turn communist?
We are still undergoing the transformation that began under Tsar Giuliani.
Um. The communists killed off the Tsars... That's why it was called a Revolution.

If there's one thing I hate more than tired cold war cliches, it's mixed metaphors...

Oh, and to get back on topic-- as soon as I saw the picture of the ad I knew why it was taken down. I find nothing more oppressive than being hemmed in by advertising on all sides. If Times Square wants that look, that's fine, but I'd like a few places of refuge.

Analog Kid
Mar 13, 2007, 10:59 PM
as of 5pm EDT the "ad" is still down.

Also to clear things up.. The ad was made of the material that would be on the side of a metro bus. From the obverse you see the ad, from the reverse you see a tint to the glass.

Ohhh... that was the problem! The put the stupid ad on inside out... Should have been tint out, image in.

aristotle
Mar 13, 2007, 11:27 PM
Wow. I have to say that NYC really has turned into a Communist society.

My co-worker, who is originally from Russia said that he noticed that the US was becoming more and more like the Soviet Union. I did not believe him but based the comments made by that guy with a keyboard for an avatar, I now believe him.

I also had wanted to visit NYC at some point soon but now I'm starting to reconsider.

EricNau
Mar 13, 2007, 11:45 PM

My co-worker, who is originally from Russia said that he noticed that the US was becoming more and more like the Soviet Union. I did not believe him but based the comments made by that guy with a keyboard for an avatar, I now believe him.

I also had wanted to visit NYC at some point soon but now I'm starting to reconsider.

You have got to be kidding me.

Aperture
Mar 13, 2007, 11:49 PM

1st post? Thanks for stopping by! I'll get your coat. :p

AidenShaw
Mar 13, 2007, 11:55 PM

So, if a corporation negotiates to build a structure on a property, and has to agree to certain conditions in order to get a waiver because what they want violates pre-existing covenants on the property -- you say that it's "communist" to expect the corporation to honor those agreements?

Zoning restrictions are there to protect *all* the property owners from the actions of one. If you bought a nice house, you wouldn't want some corporation buying the two lots next door and building an 8 apartment monstrosity.

Similarly, the other tenants around 767 Fifth Avenue couldn't have been too happy about Apple pasting billboards on the glass cube in the plaza.

Just because you like Apple products doesn't mean that you need to approve of Apple acting with arrogant disregard of promises that they've made, or other civilized rules. (for example, Apple vs. Apple Corps., Apple vs. Cisco, ...)

In the Soviet block (i.e. the "communists"), the citizens had very little protection from the whims of the state.

In the US, property owners have a lot of protection from their neighbors doing things that reduce the value and attractiveness of their property. Additionally, cities can decide that the public need for open spaces and public places can restrict property owners from some uses of their property.

It looks like Apple stepped over those protections when they put a 10m high billboard on the plaza.

aristotle
Mar 14, 2007, 12:38 AM
1st post? Thanks for stopping by! I'll get your coat. :p
You have a problem with that? My you are a welcoming bunch aren't you. Let me guess, you are a New Yorker?
:p
*EDIT*
I see that you are from Philly. I though it was supposed to be a friendly city or was I mistaken?

Did you originally come from the Big Apple?

aristotle
Mar 14, 2007, 12:45 AM
You have got to be kidding me.
No, actually I'm not. My co-worker immigrated to Canada about a decade ago IIRC. He remembers the Soviet era quite well.

He has been following recent changes in the US such as the Patriot Act and now this federally mandated ID card all the states will be issuing soon. Can you say "papers please"?

As a regular Joe citizen, you might not be privy to the impact some of the laws passed in recent years or to the reporting various entities are required to submit to government agencies. Not that any of this is a state secret or anything but the news media is not going to delve deeply into the repercussions of every bill passed by your congress.

You may some time very soon find that you might have to subject yourself to thorough ID examinations not only for interstate flights but at state border crossings. That sounds like the Soviet union to me.

Evangelion
Mar 14, 2007, 02:29 AM
They're not forgetting other product lines at all.

*sigh*.... Let's go through this again, shall we?

what do we usually have at MacWorld? Product-announcement, maybe demos of new version of OS X and iLife. And so forth. And lo and behold, we did get two product-announcements this year. But both of them were vaporware. Two months later and they are STILL vaporware! And during that two-month period we have practically received zero news regarding any of their other products.

A little-known fact is that Apple has more than one group--the people who work on Macs and Mac OS are DIFFERENT people from the ones who work on iPods, and the ones who work on iPhones.

No, you don't say?!?! This is news to me! Or not.

So... while the iPhone may be the latest news, the Mac team has still been coming to work :) There is no reason to suspect that the Mac team has been reduced in size to move people onto the iPod or iPhone.

Where exactly did I claim that something like that has happened?

Now, if you're simply talking about Apple's PR, and find it "boring" or "no fun" that the iPhone is getting the attention... well, Apple's marketing is not designed to entertain you, or the public at large--it's designed to promote their products, in strategic ways that vary with their R&D and launch schedules.

That is only part of the equation. How about the news that we heard that Apple isn't going to release new video-iPod anytime soon, because they are afraid that it would steal iPhone's thunder? If that's true, then doesn't it mean that Apple is purposefully slowing down developement of their other products, in order to prop up the iPhone?

Evangelion
Mar 14, 2007, 02:35 AM
You seem to be the one who doesn't get it. The whole world knows Apple makes Macs. The whole world knows that Apple makes iPods. As a company, Apple could spend millions of dollars on ads and billboards and such promoting those products without gaining any market share over what they already have. In those particular arenas, people are pretty set in their ways. An ad about a Mac doesn't get talked about, and thus the company doesn't get talked about.

I'm not talking about ads. I'm talking about products. The fact that you only talk of advertising is a clear sign that you missed the point.

So instead, Apple advertises the new and exciting products, the ones that are going to "revolutionize the world".

And which are not available for several months. And even then, they will only be available to a small fraction of consumers. It's going to be about a year before it's widely available.

In short: their efforts seem to be focused at promoting vaporware.

Evangelion
Mar 14, 2007, 02:37 AM
Why should Apple release the supposed "secret" features of a product before the actual release for sale?

Um, because we are talking about operating-system? Because third-parties would have to test those features and make sure that they play nicely with their apps? So that third-parties could prepare for them in advance?

The mini is a great media PC as is.

Well, it's decent, but it could be better. It really could use a bigger hard-drive. Right now we need to use external hard-drives so we could fit the media in there, and that destroys the "mini" a lot more than few extra centimeters of size would.

Now I'd like to see the 200GB drive available BTO, that would sell me in an instant.

laptop-size 200GB hard-drive is quite expensive.

aristotle
Mar 14, 2007, 04:16 AM
So, if a corporation negotiates to build a structure on a property, and has to agree to certain conditions in order to get a waiver because what they want violates pre-existing covenants on the property -- you say that it's "communist" to expect the corporation to honor those agreements?

Zoning restrictions are there to protect *all* the property owners from the actions of one. If you bought a nice house, you wouldn't want some corporation buying the two lots next door and building an 8 apartment monstrosity.

Similarly, the other tenants around 767 Fifth Avenue couldn't have been too happy about Apple pasting billboards on the glass cube in the plaza.

Just because you like Apple products doesn't mean that you need to approve of Apple acting with arrogant disregard of promises that they've made, or other civilized rules. (for example, Apple vs. Apple Corps., Apple vs. Cisco, ...)

In the Soviet block (i.e. the "communists"), the citizens had very little protection from the whims of the state.

In the US, property owners have a lot of protection from their neighbors doing things that reduce the value and attractiveness of their property. Additionally, cities can decide that the public need for open spaces and public places can restrict property owners from some uses of their property.

It looks like Apple stepped over those protections when they put a 10m high billboard on the plaza.
Unless it is city property, how is it the business of the city automatically?

bearbo
Mar 14, 2007, 04:52 AM

:eek: :confused:
i'm speechless

Analog Kid
Mar 14, 2007, 05:03 AM
He has been following recent changes in the US such as the Patriot Act and now this federally mandated ID card all the states will be issuing soon. Can you say "papers please"?

As a regular Joe citizen, you might not be privy to the impact some of the laws passed in recent years or to the reporting various entities are required to submit to government agencies. Not that any of this is a state secret or anything but the news media is not going to delve deeply into the repercussions of every bill passed by your congress.

You may some time very soon find that you might have to subject yourself to thorough ID examinations not only for interstate flights but at state border crossings. That sounds like the Soviet union to me.
Here, I agree with you-- though we should probably move that discussion to a different thread...

Here I agree with AidenShaw and the other poster who thought you were nuts... First off, why does everyone confuse Communism with Stalinism? Communism is an economic system, Stalinism is a political system based on dictatorial rule and control through fear and violent repression. Second, I thought the cold war was over, yet people are still screaming "communist!" whenever they see anything they don't agree with. Can't believe how many times I've seen that on this forum alone... Third, this country has had zoning laws since colonial days-- there's nothing Soviet about it. It's part of how a densely populated society coexists.
Unless it is city property, how is it the business of the city automatically? It's the people acting through their government. Quite the opposite of the Soviet method, actually... Just like the city is going to get involved if you, as a private citizen, beat your spouse as a private citizen, in the privacy of your privately owned home with the curtains drawn, there is a whole wide range of behaviors that the government regulates at the behest of your fellow citizens. Most unlike the Soviet state, you have the power to change the way your government behaves through elections and the right to petition your government for the redress of grievances. The fact that large numbers of people have abdicated that right or waste their time chasing petty whims does not mean that we no longer have that power.

Now, if you'd been to Russia in the last decade, you'd get an idea of what happens when a government does not exercise sufficient controls over behaviors detrimental to a functioning society. Not only would you find that debts are settled with weaponry, but much, much smaller travesties as well-- such as rampant advertising obscuring the beautiful architecture of Moscow and St. Pete.

People have these grade school ideas that liberty means anarchy and democracy means mob rule...

motulist
Mar 14, 2007, 05:37 AM
You have a problem with that? My you are a welcoming bunch aren't you. Let me guess, you are a New Yorker?
*EDIT*
I see that you are from Philly. I though it was supposed to be a friendly city or was I mistaken?

We were born with 2 ears and 1 mouth so we could listen twice as much as we speak. Before spouting off at the mouth with rudeness that no one wants to hear, try lurking for a while to get a sense of the tone in the community you are attempting to enter. We're a friendly bunch here and can be an invaluable resource to a new user like you, so hang out for a while and try to help out instead of tearing down.

Regarding your comments about government and laws, Mark Twain put it best. "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Aperture
Mar 14, 2007, 06:16 AM
*EDIT*

Haha, nope. Actually from Pittsburgh & still live here. Seriously though, I was just joking. 'Thought it was funny for a first post. Welcome to MacRumors!:cool:

AidenShaw
Mar 14, 2007, 07:57 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoning

CoreWeb
Mar 14, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm going to post a point of view which has probably not been addressed by anyone else as of yet:

I hope that particular sign stays down, as it is UGLY. Why did they make a white background for it, anyway? Or the hand holding the iPhone? Would have been much better to make it appear like it was simply floating there...

What might be even better is to play, sometimes, video of something as insignificant as the Flurry screen saver, or perhaps other sort-of abstract things (especially at night). (I am assuming that they made the ad by projecting a picture onto the building's glass.)

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 14, 2007, 02:52 PM

If you were to guage the worth of an entire city or society based on the words of a few people on the internet, you may want to log off, get some fresh air and, while you're at it, get a clue.

As a born and raised Brooklynite, I enthusiastically scoff at you. This city gets enough tourists, a few touchy people driven away by message boards will not be missed.

puckhead193
Mar 14, 2007, 02:56 PM
I am assuming that they made the ad by projecting a picture onto the building's glass.)

i think its like a paper/film that sticks to the glass...although that would be cool if they could project a movie maybe the hello ad with some speakers although hearing that 24/7 might get annoying maybe every hr

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 14, 2007, 03:23 PM
Maybe they should've just gotten one of those A-frame chalkboard outdoor menu things that they use for restaurants, get the genius in the store with the best drawing skills and just have him or her draw the iPhone on that. It would look old school New York, and the city would have nothing to complain about. :rolleyes:

matticus008
Mar 14, 2007, 05:57 PM
Perhaps not, but zoning regulations banning advertising on privately owned structures are not easily enforced and often successfully challenged. Not only that, but it seems that there is no particular requirement against advertising in the agreement to begin with. The agreement made was to produce a structure with minimal disturbance of the physical space. If Apple wanted to put a giant Christmas tree inside that cube every year, that's certainly an option they could pursue. The Apple logo hanging in the cube is also advertising and opaque.

Just because you like Apple products doesn't mean that you need to approve of Apple acting with arrogant disregard of promises that they've made, or other civilized rules.
And just because you view Apple's actions as arrogant doesn't mean that they actually are, especially given that you would be hard pressed to cite an example of any large corporation acting with complete and sincere humility.

Additionally, cities can decide that the public need for open spaces and public places can restrict property owners from some uses of their property.
The city does not have the authority to make public places on private property.
That's only true if the fixture is permanent. For example, take a large city with light pollution restrictions limiting the use of colored lamps on high rise structures. Now, a few times a year, one such building paints its bright structure in celebratory colors, much like the Empire State Building does the red/white/blue thing for Independence Day and other colors for other holidays. This is technically against regulations, but it's permitted as a temporary measure.

Or take a museum located in a historic area with strict design-based requirements (use of red brick, no glass fronts, indigenous flora only, only Ionian columns on porticos, etc.). Now say that an ancient Egypt exhibit is coming to the museum for a few weeks. Can they put up some hieroglyphics on sandstone-colored columns and some fake palm trees to advertise for a week or two? Probably.

Zoning and covenants are designed to protect the character of neighborhoods and control sprawl. They are not intended to micromanage the day-to-day activities of property owners. In my neighborhood, we are not permitted to have anything but completely assembled and functional land vehicles in our driveways. If I'm doing woodwork and have lumber and tile in my driveway for a few days, I'm not going to get a letter or suffer the outrage from some anal do-gooder.
It would look old school New York, and the city would have nothing to complain about. :rolleyes:
It's only speculation that the city complained at all, as far as I can tell. It's also inaccurate to proclaim any violation of any covenant or zoning restriction based on what's been provided. If you have a zoning restriction preventing furniture on the sidewalk, you're not violating the public's trust when the delivery truck unloads in front of your new brownstone.

You can only be in violation if you lack permission or if that violation isn't covered by a controlling statute elsewhere (for example that you can't ban window advertising on private property under any circumstance).

CoreWeb
Mar 14, 2007, 08:11 PM
i think its like a paper/film that sticks to the glass...although that would be cool if they could project a movie maybe the hello ad with some speakers although hearing that 24/7 might get annoying maybe every hr

Or they could project a clock every hour and make that typical grandfather clock sound...

But projecting a real video constantly would get annoying eventually. I think something more abstract would be better. What if they just used projectors to change the cube's color? Perhaps change it hourly, or make it constantly, slowly, change?

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 14, 2007, 10:14 PM
It's only speculation that the city complained at all, as far as I can tell. It's also inaccurate to proclaim any violation of any covenant or zoning restriction based on what's been provided. If you have a zoning restriction preventing furniture on the sidewalk, you're not violating the public's trust when the delivery truck unloads in front of your new brownstone.

You can only be in violation if you lack permission or if that violation isn't covered by a controlling statute elsewhere (for example that you can't ban window advertising on private property under any circumstance).

Well, I was kinda being sarcastic, but to appease the more picayune crowd perhaps a genius can simply walk around the cube with an iPhone printed on his shirt.

matticus008
Mar 14, 2007, 10:40 PM
Well, I was kinda being sarcastic, but to appease the more picayune crowd perhaps a genius can simply walk around the cube with an iPhone printed on his shirt.
Or they could just put the original ad back up. There's nothing factually supporting the idea that the ad actually is prohibited and/or that the city chose to take action.

aristotle
Mar 14, 2007, 10:47 PM
If you were to guage the worth of an entire city or society based on the words of a few people on the internet, you may want to log off, get some fresh air and, while you're at it, get a clue.

As a born and raised Brooklynite, I enthusiastically scoff at you. This city gets enough tourists, a few touchy people driven away by message boards will not be missed.
:rolleyes:

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 14, 2007, 11:09 PM
Or they could just put the original ad back up. There's nothing factually supporting the idea that the ad actually is prohibited and/or that the city chose to take action.

Again, it was sarcasm :D

I don't see why people would complain about temporary ads on the store cube. How many people say "Dammit, look at that. Now 5% of my view of Central Park from a few feet away from the corner of 59th St. is ruined for a while."

@aristotle. I dunno if simply eye-rolling will solve the issues at hand :p

AidenShaw
Mar 15, 2007, 06:58 AM
It's only speculation that the city complained at all, as far as I can tell.
True - I've seen no new reports about the ad.

It's also possible that Apple's lease or other tenant agreement covers this issue - and that a complaint by another business in the complex was the trigger.

pilotError
Mar 15, 2007, 07:50 AM
Perhaps it was just a test run until June, so they can fix any directional issues. If you noticed, it looked better at certain angles than others.

studioyves
Mar 15, 2007, 09:28 AM
as a designer and architect, i'm always amazed how apple blurrs the line of design in architecture, graphics, advertisment, and product design...brilliant once again.

the reason that they mysteriously had to take the signage"as building" down has something probably to do with signage restrictions and code for size in that part of NYC.

Once again, apple thinking out of the box, on the box and through the box...brillant!!!

yves

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 15, 2007, 03:31 PM
Now I wonder if anyone's hackles were raised when the Apple logo was a deep red in December. :D

Bill Av
Mar 15, 2007, 09:05 PM
Donald Trump ran into a similar problem when he put a banner advertising "the Apprentice" on one of his buildings

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/donald-trump-faces-10k-in-fines-for-youre-fired-banner-on-trump-tower-2420.php

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 16, 2007, 12:13 PM
Some of his buildings are eyesores to begin with. Putting his face on a giant banner only adds insult to injury.