Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
I read a while back that it was possible to software over clock the sarha series G3s at least the one in the 700mhz ibook. does anyone know how you would go about this, and if you can do it on a 800mhz ibook?

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Re: software overclocking ibook

Originally posted by Huked on Fonick
I read a while back that it was possible to software over clock the sarha series G3s at least the one in the 700mhz ibook. does anyone know how you would go about this, and if you can do it on a 800mhz ibook?

i personally would say its not worth trying. if you screw it up (yes, you can screw it up by software overclocking) then you're shafted. Applecare ain't gonna cover that one!

The best thing you can do to speed up your iBook is stick more ram in it.

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
Humm

I am pretty sure the program to software over clock it is an apple program and i think it onyl does it by till the next reboot and by some small number thats safe....not certain but pretty sure

.i have 640 megs of ram so i can add more to it.....:(

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
dude, do it if you're game and have the cash or a backup if the worst happens... i'm sure you know all the risks.

if you do try it, post us some details. :)

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I flashed my PB G4 DVDrom drive so it can read DVDs from any region, the only thing you have to be carefull of is deleting any sign of the overclocking if you need to send it back to Apple. I had to reflash my DVD drive with the original settings before I sent it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.