PDA

View Full Version : Comical Relief?

jonharris200
Mar 15, 2007, 09:41 AM
I saw this on the new iTunes Store (UK) page for Comic Relief:

All the revenues of the sales from this year's official singles and music videos will go to Comic Relief so your purchases really can make a big difference to the poor and disadvantaged people across the U.K. and Africa.

The last part makes me smile - it sounds as if all people in the UK and Africa are 'poor and disadvantaged'.

I think this would make more sense without the definite article in front of it, ie 'make a big difference to poor and disadvantaged people across the U.K. and Africa'.

However, part of it depends of course on your definition of poverty. :)

jonharris200
Mar 15, 2007, 06:36 PM
Bump 9 hours later.

I still think this is funny, if not patronising.

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't sound like this text was written by a Brit. The e.x.t.r.a. dots after U. and K. are a bit odd too.

Of course, I may be entirely wrong. But I still would hope Apple finds a better way of phrasing this ahead of tomorrow night's Comic Relief evening on TV*.

What do others think?

* Comic Relief a fund-raising evening on BBC - annual event with lots of celebs taking part and doing weird and wonderful things, especially comedy of course; people across the UK join in with community, business, church events too.

jimN
Mar 16, 2007, 02:48 AM
The dots in U.K. are superfluous as UK is a popular abbreviation.

You're right, we're not all poor and disadvantaged, but if they want to give me money they are more than welcome to.

jonharris200
Mar 16, 2007, 12:49 PM
They've reworked the text quite a bit today. And yes, the 'the' is gone. :)

Poseidon
Mar 16, 2007, 01:13 PM
Bump 9 hours later.

I still think this is funny, if not patronising.

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't sound like this text was written by a Brit. The e.x.t.r.a. dots after U. and K. are a bit odd too.

Of course, I may be entirely wrong. But I still would hope Apple finds a better way of phrasing this ahead of tomorrow night's Comic Relief evening on TV*.

What do others think?

I think you looked for and saw something that wasn't there. All I see is something word a bit badly - I think you should concentrate on the main message which seems to be that this is a charity event which could help folks that are in the UK and Africa.

[By the way, putting dots between "U" and "K" strikes me as the correct way to list the country. I was taught that when you abbreviate full "name" words - such as United States of America or United Kingdom - you're supposed to put the dots in.]