Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smythey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
Up to 5 Apple TVs can sync with Itunes at the same time....

Anybody know if this has been mentioned elsewhere?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Not quite what Steve said in the keynote. Up to five :apple: TVs can stream protected content from an iTunes library, but only one can sync content to its local drive if I remember correctly.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Not quite what Steve said in the keynote. Up to five :apple: TVs can stream protected content from an iTunes library, but only one can sync content to its local drive if I remember correctly.

My understanding was that each Apple TV will connect to (stream from) up to five different computers -- but will only sync with one.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/sync.html:

Apple TV streams as well as it syncs, so you can pair up to five additional computers and let friends and family stream their iTunes libraries to your TV. Apple TV stores up to 50 hours of video, ready to watch when you are. And if iTunes is still syncing what you want to see — or if you don’t want to sync at all — you can watch a stream from your computer right away.

mac/win

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2007
I use a MacPro to sync 5 atv's. I stream 9 atv's from this MacPro. You can only sync 5 at a time. I am using new Airport Extreme. It is incredible to play the same movie on 5 atv's at the same time and in different places within this same movie. Over five going at once starts stuttering/freezing.

mac/win

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2007
I am shocked that anyone would wonder why I use 9 atv's :) . . . . . 9-room B&B inn.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I use a MacPro to sync 5 atv's. I stream 9 atv's from this MacPro. You can only sync 5 at a time. I am using new Airport Extreme. It is incredible to play the same movie on 5 atv's at the same time and in different places within this same movie. Over five going at once starts stuttering/freezing.

Thanks. I was wondering about this - I had asked in a previous post.

For church - just put :apple:TV's in the classrooms, and all the DVD lessons on a server. We no longer have to worry about lending out the DVDs and having the originals get lost, "borrowed", or broken...

Did you need something as powerful as a Mac Pro or can we use a Mini with a very large external FW drive? I plan to mainly stream to maybe 4 at the same time...

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I accidently ordered a second ATV and was going to send it back before I started using the first one I decided to keep it for my Basement HT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.