PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone Components Shipping in April?

MacRumors
Mar 16, 2007, 07:50 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider relays (http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2575) a report by China Economic News Service which claims that iPhone component suppliers are expected to begin delivery of their materials to manufacturing facilities by "early April."

If true, this could suggest that rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/30/iphone-coming-earlier-than-june/) that the iPhone may begin shipping early might have some truth to them.

That being said, Apple has maintained that the iPhone will be shipping in June. This expected date was again reinforced during their recent television ad (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/25/apple-iphone-teaser-ad-airs-during-oscars/).

Meanwhile, it is important to remember that these component reports tend to be unreliable. A previous China Times report (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/11/15/hon-hai-receives-iphone-contract/) in November had claimed the Foxconn would be shipping 500,000-600,000 iPhones starting in February 2007.

Zwhaler
Mar 16, 2007, 07:58 PM
I hope this means the iPhone is coming soon.

ReanimationLP
Mar 16, 2007, 08:00 PM
It'll ship in June, sure, they could do it earlier, but why bother?

Stockpile the things so that way when they DO go on sale, you dont have disappointed people because they cant buy it because you didnt release as many as you could if you stuck with the original release date.

AidenShaw
Mar 16, 2007, 08:11 PM

To get it out before it gets stomped by the Gphone from Google? :eek:

rockthecasbah
Mar 16, 2007, 08:12 PM
Especially since that recent iPhone ad said that it would be available in April that i just don't see them shipping early. That was the second official confirmation of June, i just don't see early happening. Perhaps they are starting manufacturing so they have the necessary amount to satisfy the high demand. I think Apple wants to avoid people having to wait any longer than they've already had to these few months since its introduction until June.

DeSnousa
Mar 16, 2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah I agree with what most have said, the iPhone will be out in June. There are more factors to add than simply making the phone.

ventro
Mar 16, 2007, 08:20 PM
Of course they are starting the manufacturing process early. They want to make a lot of them so there isn't a shortage. Common sense.

OwlsAndApples
Mar 16, 2007, 08:22 PM
Still won't be out for ages in the UK...:(

Doctor Q
Mar 16, 2007, 08:23 PM
The question is: What is the typical time between first shipping of components for a new product and the release of that product? No doubt, the answer is "it depends", but having a general idea based on past products would give us some idea of whether or not Apple seems to be on track with the iPhone.

EagerDragon
Mar 16, 2007, 08:31 PM
I like to know how they plan to handle repairs, specialy of the battery. People are not going to want to sent their phone to Apple for 3 to 7 days (round trip).

I would assume at Cingular and Apple stores, they are going to have to handle the repair in house.

ProjektJ
Mar 16, 2007, 09:03 PM
if they could release it earlier, they probably would, it doesnt seem that shipping and manufacturing is holding them up, fcc approval takes a while, so even if they do have them stockpiled, they need the greenlight from the feds before they can sell them

Dr.Gargoyle
Mar 16, 2007, 09:10 PM
The question I want an answer to is when it will arrive in Europe. Locked phones are the invention of the devil. :mad:

samh004
Mar 16, 2007, 09:18 PM
Stockpile the things so that way when they DO go on sale, you dont have disappointed people because they cant buy it because you didnt release as many as you could if you stuck with the original release date.

That's what I was thinking, they don't always make their shipping times on popular products, and this will be a big seller for them (or at least they hope so), so getting started on making them earlier is better.

I don't think it'll ship early, this is just a build-up so it ships on time.

jonharris200
Mar 16, 2007, 09:21 PM
Oh help, now I don't know what to think! :p

Digital Skunk
Mar 16, 2007, 09:34 PM
Umm. Okay... is it out for Sprint yet... guess not... um... who cares. Let's move on to the Mac Book Pro Mini or whatever smaller form factor notebook Apple will make. Or the full screen iPod that has the iPhone features or something else that actually applies to a rumor. Not trying to be an A**hole or anything... Just want to get over the fact that I am not getting an iPhone:mad:

Can't afford it.:(

TC2COOL
Mar 16, 2007, 10:10 PM
iPhone CAN NOT ship until June.

For the same reason that it was introduced in January: the 6 month FCC approval.

Right... I mean, I'm no expert, I'm just saying...

WildCowboy
Mar 16, 2007, 10:14 PM
iPhone CAN NOT ship until June.

For the same reason that it was introduced in January: the 6 month FCC approval.

FCC approval can take much less than six months...two months is routine.

TheManOfSilver
Mar 16, 2007, 10:23 PM
I agree with others. Having components ship in April allows Apple to ramp their manufacture and stockpile millions of units in time for launch. This is by far the most hyped product Apple has ever released. If it sells as well as some people are predicting, they could run into a major embarrassment by only having a modest stockpile at launch.

ThomasJefferson
Mar 16, 2007, 10:25 PM
iphone
ipods
ithis ithat

idon'tcare anymore

just give me 10.5, CS3 and let me crawl back in my hole ...

Chrispy
Mar 16, 2007, 10:59 PM
iphone
ipods
ithis ithat

idon'tcare anymore

just give me 10.5, CS3 and let me crawl back in my hole ...

Well said. Not to mention, if the iPhone is like all the other recent Rev. A Apple products lately, it will no doubt be plagued with hardware issues and lots of early adopters will end up with buggy or outright faultly phones. I still like Apple don't get me wrong, however I don't think the iPhone is worth the price or the risk.

Rocketman
Mar 16, 2007, 11:27 PM
Given that Apple has a 10m unit delivery schedule by EOY 2008, they might need considerable inventory before mid-June initial shipments.

This rumour of initial massive component shipments only reconfirms mid/late-June to be "somewhat realistic".

My only question is is this really 4/8GB or is this UPOD? I am not optimistic.

Rocketman

Bonte
Mar 17, 2007, 02:46 AM
Of course they are starting the manufacturing process early. They want to make a lot of them so there isn't a shortage. Common sense.

Makes sense, they'll need millions of them at the start and more millions the rest of the year. The projected 10 million iPhone sales at the end of 2008 will be very conservative i think.

AppleMan101
Mar 17, 2007, 04:40 AM
shouldn't this be on page 2?

Itsahipthing
Mar 17, 2007, 06:25 AM
Your right Rockitman. Having worked in electronic manufacture for 20 years I know that to get to a reasonable stock level before launch they will need to start production prity soon. Still think June is reasonable, but dont think it will be shipped in the first half!

dernhelm
Mar 17, 2007, 07:05 AM

Yeah, that's what made the PS2 and XBox so popular....
That must also be why Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft didn't have any supply issues with the PS3, Wii and XBox 360...

:rolleyes:

Nobody sits on product they can release in order to stockpile just so a few people might not be disappointed because they can't get one.

Not even apple.
;)

maccompaq
Mar 17, 2007, 09:14 AM
Once Leopard is released in April or May, and the iPhone in June, just watch the Apple stock rise up to $100 and beyond.

thejadedmonkey
Mar 17, 2007, 09:33 AM
The question I want an answer to is when it will arrive in Europe. Locked phones are the invention of the devil. :mad:

by US law, the iPhone must be un-lockable.

Rocketman
Mar 17, 2007, 09:53 AM
The question is: What is the typical time between first shipping of components for a new product and the release of that product? No doubt, the answer is "it depends", but having a general idea based on past products would give us some idea of whether or not Apple seems to be on track with the iPhone.

Similar rumors (Chinese supplier) for one of the Nano releases took about 4 weeks to materialize into deliveries. There was no delayed delivery date for Nanos however. iPhone has a "set release date" so maybe they are planning well in advance to be sure they have time to deal with problems and to have sufficient supplies for any unexpected demand. If they over-ramp, the worst that could happen is they could have 4-6 weeks of inventory rather than 2. It seems when they EOL a product they try to do so when there is about 4 or so weeks of inventory.

Rocketman

alexstein
Mar 17, 2007, 10:57 AM
That is just one of the production steps. Those things still have to be put together different warehouses have to be stocked.

It's not like oh the parts are here lets put a few together and ship them to customers one by one.

I think June is a very realistic date for launching and shipping the device. If a few weeks early thats great. But we have seen it many times that stuff ships later and when it ships there is not enough stock for the demand.

Hopefully Apple thought this through rather good, if they want to impress the market they have to meet the demand and have the items overstocked at every facility.

alexstein
Mar 17, 2007, 11:01 AM

it's just a matter how. i hope it's rather easy and painless without sending the phone in and begging apple or the phone company to do so.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 17, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hey this is.....wait where's my Adobe CS3?

Dr.Gargoyle
Mar 17, 2007, 12:10 PM
Well, that doesn't help much since you most likely have to buy the iPhone with a plan. I want the iPhone, but not to the extent that I am willing to sign up for a 18/24/36 month plan that I won't be able to use when I am in Europe.
So iPhone is basically locked to US. Perhaps not technically, but that is not relevant in this case.
Nevertheless, I didn't knew that locked phones was illegal in US. Thanks for the info. :)

cbud
Mar 17, 2007, 12:23 PM
Once Leopard is released in April or May, and the iPhone in June, just watch the Apple stock rise up to $100 and beyond.

Not to mention new iMacs and Mac Pros this summer as well!:)

lord patton
Mar 17, 2007, 01:42 PM
Bottom line: no one knows when iPhone will ship, and we can't be sure if this rumor is true, or if components in April mean Apple is on target, early, or late.

But I'll say this. The iPhone will need more testing than any other Apple product. At MWSF Steve showed how integrated the phone would be with Google and Yahoo, and that there were considerable accomodations being made by Cingular for such things as visual voicemail.

And the hardware is brand spankin' new. Multitouch, proximity sensors, and because it's a phone, it has to "just work."

Apple and Cingular will have to roll out a few thousand of these by May to distribute to those special Cingular and Apple employees willing to trade their first-born and an air-tight NDA signature for the hippest toy under the sun.

Perhaps these April shipments are for a sampling quantity to refine the manufacturing and get test units into the field.

Cult Follower
Mar 17, 2007, 03:16 PM
I don't think Apple will beat their deadline of this one.

BoRegardless
Mar 17, 2007, 07:46 PM

I hope that Apple doesn't rush it and releases only an iPhone with a virtual 100% solid physical, electrical, and software setup, so that there is the most solid base upone which to build a consumer base.

Bo

twoodcc
Mar 17, 2007, 07:55 PM

i really hope so also

BornAgainMac
Mar 17, 2007, 10:28 PM
I doubt there will be enough of the phones at launch. This might be part of the plan too.

iMikeT
Mar 17, 2007, 11:38 PM
The iPhone is definitely not coming sooner than June. Anything that says the contrary is nothing more than speculation.

mi5moav
Mar 17, 2007, 11:39 PM
A friend of mine works for Cingular and supposedly they are gonna start training Apple Employees In late April or May. It's like a 7 day class or something. They are also gonna have kiosk set up in the Apple Stores, so it's a simple choose this data plan, then choose this voice plan, and then choose what other options you want. So, hopefully the experience will be better then those at the bestbuy and walmart stores.

needthephone
Mar 18, 2007, 01:36 AM
Once the button is pressed it takes at best -2 months before a new product gets to the consumer. There are lots of issues eg production problems to contend with, component quality issues to iron out, testing programmes to complete (I hope they are doing some testing on production line produced iphones)supply lines to fill.They need to make 100's of thousands of these before they go on sale too. Manufacturing is a tough excercise and full of unexpected surprises, it doesn't just happen like that.

To me they should have products in stock in a few weeks and production standard phones going through final testing pretty much now, its almost April and its going to be very tough for them to make June let alone bring it forward.

Project
Mar 18, 2007, 02:36 AM
So did the iPhone get FCC approval yet?

jlewis2k1
Mar 18, 2007, 05:27 AM
opps wrong forum... someone delete this one

backspinner
Mar 18, 2007, 08:41 AM
from a fresh start to a shipping product will take at least 8 tot 12 weeks with a new product. later the production time can go down to about 4 weeks total.

guzhogi
Mar 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
I'll admit, I don't have a cell phone and am realizing that as time goes on, the more & more I need one. I'd really like the iPhone. To all those who have Cingular, what's service like?

Teddy's
Mar 18, 2007, 01:01 PM
iPhone touchscreen component XR-4522NCNPP-A234 Next tuesday!!!!

:rolleyes:

Stella
Mar 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't be that surprised, if, to get the full benefits of the iPhone with the Mac, you'll need OSX 10.5.

Limited functionality with 10.4 syncing to iPhone, full benefits with 10.5

Apple would only start manufacturing after FCC approval.

All stuff submitted to FCC become public knowledge, so we'll hear about the approval status.

Cinch
Mar 18, 2007, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't be that surprised, if, to get the full benefits of the iPhone with the Mac, you'll need OSX 10.5.

Limited functionality with 10.4 syncing to iPhone, full benefits with 10.5

Apple would only start manufacturing after FCC approval.

I don't think Apple will do this unlike the other company (think Microsoft).

Apple won't make you upgrade to 10.5 to get the "full" benefit of your iPhone. A simple software update to 10.4 will do. A 2 year contract plus $599 phone and plus $120 computer operating system upgrade? The iPhone can function by itself without a PC. Note that Apple wants to sell 10 millions of these by the end of 2008, and off course there will be a lot of Window iPhone users among them.

Cinch