PDA

View Full Version : Gromacs???

Vlade
Jun 7, 2003, 06:45 PM
I am new to folding, and I have a G4 733 MHZ comp, and I was wondering how to get AltiVec working, I have herd that Gromacs supports it, but i have no idea how to use it. Can someone help me? Right now I am using the graphical client.

Vlade
Jun 7, 2003, 06:56 PM
In process viewer it says I am running this process "FahCore_78.exe", is that the altivec one? if so it doesnt seem very fast at all.

Also, how much faster is the console based verison compared to the graphical one?

Rower_CPU
Jun 7, 2003, 07:14 PM
78 is the gromacs enabled core.

As far as how much faster it is...I don't think there have been any tests or anything comparing speed.

MrMacMan
Jun 7, 2003, 08:17 PM
No they don't but if the log file says AltiVec Enabled, then you have it working.

78 is the gromac core, and AltiVec would increase the speed.

Falleron
Jun 10, 2003, 05:00 PM
My process viewer is showing 65 + not 78. I am running the graphical client (3.25).

jimthorn
Jun 16, 2003, 05:38 PM
Is there a way to get Graphical Client v3.25 to only receive Gromacs WUs from F@H? I don't know exactly how the client talks to the servers... I mean, does it just ask for a random WU, or is this communication configurable?

Client: Hey, gimme a WU.
Server: Here's a Tinker WU for you.
Client: No, not that one. Gimme a Gromacs one.
Server: Oh, why didn't you say so... Hey you go. And say "thank you".
Client: Thank you.

*ahem* You get the idea. :D

jethroted
Jun 16, 2003, 07:41 PM
I have not noticed a great speed increase in the gromacs core wu's I have recieved anyway. It still sucks compared to the pc.

crazytom
Jun 16, 2003, 07:58 PM
Using the old core, my average was about 20-22 pts/day (3 processors: 1 Dual 1GHz and one 450MHz). Now that they're both running the new core, I'm averaging around 30 pts/day. So there is a good speed increase, but not as much as I'd thought there'd be.

zimv20
Jun 16, 2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by crazytom
Using the old core, my average was about 20-22 pts/day (3 processors: 1 Dual 1GHz and one 450MHz). Now that they're both running the new core, I'm averaging around 30 pts/day. So there is a good speed increase, but not as much as I'd thought there'd be.

my production has slowed to a crawl. my sole g4 is working on a tinker unit (same rate as always), but my poor g3/266 got a 33-point gromacs WU that, at its current rate, will take 25 days to finish. sadly, the limit for that WU is 14 days. argh.

Vlade
Jun 16, 2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by zimv20
my production has slowed to a crawl. my sole g4 is working on a tinker unit (same rate as always), but my poor g3/266 got a 33-point gromacs WU that, at its current rate, will take 25 days to finish. sadly, the limit for that WU is 14 days. argh.

You still get credit for them, but stanford won't use the results

MrMacMan
Jun 16, 2003, 08:32 PM

God damn, stop dragging this into other threads.

Seriously you WILL GET THE POINTS, just it will not help 'them' the people analizing the units you return.

Please, get the mc68k's scripts and you can dump the units!

Recap: you will get points, but it doesn't help the community because the units are too old.

p.s you will get points.

zimv20
Jun 16, 2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
God damn, stop dragging this into other threads.

that's it -- slap fight! <slap> <slap> <slap>

Please, get the mc68k's scripts and you can dump the units!

maybe you put that in the other thread. i forgot to check for your reply. thank you.

pimentoLoaf
Jun 16, 2003, 09:04 PM
I just watched a Gromacs thingy load onto my PC, but it's not working:

Folding@home Gromacs Core
Version 1.48 (May 7, 2003)

Preparing to commence simulation
- Looking at optimizations...
- Created dyn
- Files status OK
Couldn't v3Decompress
- Fatal: Could not decompress work unit data.
Error: Could not open work file

Folding@home Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR
CoreStatus = 75 (117)
Error opening or reading from a file.
Deleting current work unit & continuing...
+ Attempting to get work packet
- Connecting to assignment server
Couldn't send HTTP request to server (wininet)
+ Could not connect to Assignment Server
- Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.144).
+ News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
Loaded queue successfully.

====================

Only that the queue had to be purged after 5 attempts to process data with Gromacs. Something is designed wrong here...

MrMacMan
Jun 16, 2003, 10:19 PM
that's it -- slap fight! <slap> <slap> <slap>

maybe you put that in the other thread. i forgot to check for your reply. thank you.

haha. ;)

And for the second part, its in the FAQ, I'm sure all of you have read it... :rolleyes:

--non-subliminal message--

bousozoku
Jul 2, 2003, 10:01 AM

You could just trade with the G4, which is what I do when my G3 gets something too complex. I copy the work folder, queue.dat, and unitinfo.txt to a safe place and move it to the other machine and restart folding. It works everytime.