PDA

View Full Version : G4 Powerbook 867Mhz

JK.online
Mar 19, 2007, 07:39 AM
I'm looking to get this laptop as just something I can carry around with my music and so I can use it for word processing/note taking.

Will this run Tiger/Word well enough for what I intend to do?

Are there any notable problems I should be looking out for?

Cheers,

Jake.

P.S. The specs are:

867Mhz Processor
640Mb Memory
40Gb Hard Disk Drive
DVD/ CD-RW Drive
12" Screen
Bluetooth Adapter
Firewire, USB, Modem, Ethernet Ports

PlaceofDis
Mar 19, 2007, 07:42 AM
i have this exact laptop. same config too except i have BT/Airport Extreme

i mainly use it for browsing/word/email/adium and i have no problem with it. you'll be able to run Tiger on it just fine. and Word works very well.

Angrist
Mar 19, 2007, 09:43 AM
Yup, that machine will be fine for Tiger / Word.

If you bump the RAM another 512 (Mactrackers says you can), then it'll run better. Crucial 1GB sticks run about $120 right now.

I'd also say that Airport would be useful, part of the advantage of having a laptop is that you can go to a library/coffee shop and get online. Check email, search the web, etc. I don't know how hard it is to add an airport card to that model, but then you're looking at another $100 ballpark.

All in all, the 12" powerbook is a great machine, small and light, easy to use on an airplane, etc. Smaller than an 8.5x11 stack of paper, so it lives in a backpack well.

PlaceofDis
Mar 19, 2007, 09:52 AM
Yup, that machine will be fine for Tiger / Word.

If you bump the RAM another 512 (Mactrackers says you can), then it'll run better. Crucial 1GB sticks run about $120 right now.

I'd also say that Airport would be useful, part of the advantage of having a laptop is that you can go to a library/coffee shop and get online. Check email, search the web, etc. I don't know how hard it is to add an airport card to that model, but then you're looking at another $100 ballpark.

All in all, the 12" powerbook is a great machine, small and light, easy to use on an airplane, etc. Smaller than an 8.5x11 stack of paper, so it lives in a backpack well.

might not be worth the RAM upgrade, if only because the 640 isn't too bad for me personally. if you plan on having more than what i listed above open then perhaps try it and see if you think you'd benefit from it.

i do agree with the Airport card though. they are very easy to put in on this model too. there is a slot for it in the battery bay. they sell the cards refurbished on Apple's site, so thats something to look into.

Queso
Mar 19, 2007, 09:54 AM
I've got that one. Four years old now and the only thing wrong with it is my grubby fingerprints on the keyboard. As suggested go for a 1GB RAM stick as it will take it.

I run Tiger on mine. Nowhere near as fast as my iMac, but still very usable when you have three or four programs open. I wouldn't use it for iDVD, but for Word it's fine.