PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV Orders Shipping

MacRumors
Mar 20, 2007, 06:17 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The first Apple TV orders are shipping from Apple. Many users received their shipping notifications overnight and the first batch of Apple TV's are on their way.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/03/20/shipemail_400.png

It appears Australian orders have been moved back to March 27th. Meanwhile, Apple stores have started getting inventory in, but are unable to post materials until at least Wednesday.

The Apple TV was originally scheduled to ship to customers in February.

SciTeach
Mar 20, 2007, 06:23 AM
Finally! YES!:D :)

siurpeeman
Mar 20, 2007, 06:25 AM
good news. i'm not getting one, but who here is?

Poff
Mar 20, 2007, 06:28 AM
Cool. I wonder when we'll see some games on it. Even though the code is in there, we don't know when they'll actually implement it..

ATG
Mar 20, 2007, 06:34 AM
I have no desire to buy an :apple:TV. I just don't see the point of it

thejadedmonkey
Mar 20, 2007, 06:34 AM
Now we'll finally see if it's worth it...

BWhaler
Mar 20, 2007, 06:42 AM
I've got one coming mostly not to have DVD's around the little ones.

But it may be the future. Time will tell.

mrthieme
Mar 20, 2007, 06:45 AM
I have not ordered one, but am very anxious to see it in person and read some reviews from owners regarding it's usefullness.

neyoung
Mar 20, 2007, 06:49 AM
I can't wait to read some of the reviews on the Apple TV. I can't decide if I want one or not. If the reviews are mostly positive I'll consider picking one up.

zeppiecr
Mar 20, 2007, 06:52 AM
Mine says it will be here on the 23rd!:apple: :apple: :apple:

HelixOmnimedia
Mar 20, 2007, 06:56 AM
UK Customer Here!

Just got an e-mail saying it has been dispatched!!!

:) WOOHOO :D

eddyg
Mar 20, 2007, 07:06 AM
Looks like NZ is following suite with Australia, my order has now moved again from the 20th to 27th.

Also of note is that the order has changed. In the top pane is my original order of the Apple TV and the HDMI to DVI cable. And then under that it says that this has been replaced with an Apple TV. It is not clear whether that means that they are not shipping a cable or whether the part number for the Apple TV has changed, and that is all that is different.

Looking forward to hearing reports of how it works.

Cheers, Ed.

jobutex
Mar 20, 2007, 07:07 AM
I ordered an :apple:TV and Airport Extreme base station on Wednesday of last week. Both shipped from China overnight last night and are due to arrive on 3/23.

Pre-ordering made no difference in whether or not you are the first to get one. :D

eddyg
Mar 20, 2007, 07:17 AM
Also of note is that the order has changed. In the top pane is my original order of the Apple TV and the HDMI to DVI cable. And then under that it says that this has been replaced with an Apple TV. It is not clear whether that means that they are not shipping a cable or whether the part number for the Apple TV has changed, and that is all that is different.

Further investigation reveals that they have increased the price of the cables, and so they have simply dropped the cable from my existing order. That sucks - surely they have to honour the price that I was quoted and that I accepted? And they were going to simply ship it without the cable - with no other notification.

I feel a phone call to Apple coming on..

Cheers, Ed.

Parky
Mar 20, 2007, 07:19 AM

I have no desire to buy a coffee maker. I just don't see the point of it.

Digitalclips
Mar 20, 2007, 07:26 AM

My notification came last night for the HDMI cable and early this morning for the ATV. I live in Florida. My notice states delivery by march 23rd on the ATV. :)

cbcdiver
Mar 20, 2007, 07:30 AM
Mine shipped overnight also, to Canada! :)

Although the Tech Specs show it at 1.09 Kgs, the
package according to FedEx is 7.1 Kgs... Could it be
over 12 pounds of packaging?

Also, my cables did not ship:

XTREMEMAC HDMI TO HDMI CABLE 2M-ZML

They maybe coming from somewhere else!

Digitalclips
Mar 20, 2007, 07:35 AM

Oh dear, your glass is half empty isn't it?

I see the fun of seeing my HD material from my HD camera and FCPro, Motion, Livetype etc. on the family room's large HD screen. I see the fun of running 720p movies I've made from DVDs. I see the fun of having parties with PC users here and using the iTunes selection system on the screen for music to make them green with envy (and better yet want a Mac). I hope to see Leopard soon with perhaps the ability to send just about anything on my screen to the HD TV ...

I see clients being able to use these for kiosk sales in a million different ways. HD TVs hooked up to ATV can be used as a point of sales or advertising tool. Training systems can run material from safe remote Macs. Jeez the possibilities are endlesss.

But then my glass is half full :)

Digitalclips
Mar 20, 2007, 07:38 AM
Further investigation reveals that they have increased the price of the cables, and so they have simply dropped the cable from my existing order. That sucks - surely they have to honour the price that I was quoted and that I accepted? And they were going to simply ship it without the cable - with no other notification.

I feel a phone call to Apple coming on..

Cheers, Ed.

That's odd my cable showed same price as when I ordered...:confused:

XTREMEMAC HDMI TO HDMI CABLE 2M-USA

TL951LL/A

$19.95

freediverdude
Mar 20, 2007, 07:40 AM
Mine shipped too! Same thing, shipped direct from China to be here by the 23rd. They shipped my HDMI to HDMI cable also- the price didn't change or anything. Maybe it's certain cables that changed and they had to back those orders out based on the type of cable.

Poff
Mar 20, 2007, 07:57 AM

I see the fun of seeing my HD material from my HD camera and FCPro, Motion, Livetype etc. on the family room's large HD screen. I see the fun of running 720p movies I've made from DVDs. I see the fun of having parties with PC users here and using the iTunes selection system on the screen for music to make them green with envy (and better yet want a Mac). I hope to see Leopard soon with perhaps the ability to send just about anything on my screen to the HD TV ...

I see clients being able to use these for kiosk sales in a million different ways. HD TVs hooked up to ATV can be used as a point of sales or advertising tool. Training systems can run material from safe remote Macs. Jeez the possibilities are endlesss.

Ummm.. I believe Perky was making a point at another forumite who said there was no point in the :apple:TV.. ;)

twoodcc
Mar 20, 2007, 07:59 AM
good news. glad apple came through. looking forward to playing with one in an apple store :) :apple:

kemck
Mar 20, 2007, 08:02 AM
Woke up to a notice that mine is on the way and with 2 day delivery I should see it before long!

andyblac
Mar 20, 2007, 08:04 AM
just got my AppleTV despatch email, despatch on the 20th March 2007, delivered on or before 28th March 2007

so just another week to wait :) :D

wallinbl
Mar 20, 2007, 08:06 AM

To save money. I'm going to buy one to ditch cable TV service. I'm paying something along the lines of $85/month to the cable company. I only consistently watch about 4 shows. If I buy the AppleTV and buy season passes for the shows I watch, it will pay for itself. OTA HDTV reception is pretty good and that can cover me for wanting to watch football or basketball.

This would be an absolute homerun if there were only a decent way to rip DVDs into iTunes.

Digitalclips
Mar 20, 2007, 08:10 AM
Ummm.. I believe Perky was making a point at another forumite who said there was no point in the :apple:TV.. ;)

Ooops, sorry Perky :)

Mitch2003
Mar 20, 2007, 08:15 AM
Now the question is when will they be available in-store...

FleurDuMal
Mar 20, 2007, 08:18 AM

Well, if I hadn't woken up so disgustingly late I could've gone into Regent Street store to check before going to the library.

I doubt they'll be in store yet. Those who've already ordered off the internet store will get priority I guess.

Poff
Mar 20, 2007, 08:18 AM
This would be an absolute homerun if there were only a decent way to rip DVDs into iTunes.

Handbrake, or mediafork?

Digitalclips
Mar 20, 2007, 08:27 AM
Handbrake, or mediafork?

Remember too SD DVDs at best are only 480p (in the USA) so we really need HD versions of movies to RIP to 720p to do justice to ATV and HD TV sets. Hence the potential of iTunes store offering 720p versions soon, they will avoid the need to buy a Blue Ray player and renting Blue Ray DVDs for many. Don't forget many HD TVs out there are only mid Hi Def anyway, few are 1080i so 720p is going to be great for most users.

Diode
Mar 20, 2007, 08:30 AM

My guess is this friday/saturday; Could be wayyy wrong though. Seems like they are shipping a ton from China to help them get stock here in the States (hence the 2-3 day delay for new orders).

JupiterTwo
Mar 20, 2007, 08:30 AM
woo-hoo mine's just shipped! Ordered on the 21/2, but sadly the tracking page is down so I've no idea when it'll arrive. Now just got to hunt down the right cables I need (5 component to scart anyone ;) )

Poff
Mar 20, 2007, 08:31 AM
Remember too SD DVDs at best are only 480p (in the USA) so we really need HD versions of movies to RIP to 720p to do justice to ATV and HD TV sets. Hence the potential of iTunes store offering 720p versions soon, they will avoid the need to buy a Blue Ray player and renting Blue Ray DVDs for many. Don't forget many HD TVs out there are only mid Hi Def anyway, few are 1080i so 720p is going to be great for most users.

Yeah. I guess it's illegal to download the HD-version, even if you've bought the DVD. I don't really feel like starting to buy physical stuff, though. (But I haven't got a HD-TV either, so no worries for me.. :))

fltman
Mar 20, 2007, 08:31 AM
UK Customer Here!

Just got an e-mail saying it has been dispatched!!!

:) WOOHOO :D

Sweden too! :D

Hugh
Mar 20, 2007, 08:33 AM

Okay, but what if you don't have a HD TV? I'm not seeing the use of the AppleTV on a regular TV. I mean can't computers already do HD on their monitors?

Hugh

boer
Mar 20, 2007, 08:34 AM
Don't forget many HD TVs out there are only mid Hi Def anyway, few are 1080i so 720p is going to be great for most users.
I would not be so worried for a lack of 1080i mode, as 720p is arguably of better quality anyway. Also, one should not watch movies at all if the resolution is the decisive enjoyment factor in it. Get a high resolution wallpaper instead. ;)

Porchland
Mar 20, 2007, 08:38 AM
To save money. I'm going to buy one to ditch cable TV service. I'm paying something along the lines of $85/month to the cable company. I only consistently watch about 4 shows. If I buy the AppleTV and buy season passes for the shows I watch, it will pay for itself. OTA HDTV reception is pretty good and that can cover me for wanting to watch football or basketball.

Comcast's. Worst. Nightmare.

The cable carriers run a huge risk of losing value-added customers who buy extras like DVR, HD and premium channels. And if Comcast tries to recoup by raising the cost of Internet-only access, customers will dump them all together and get their Internet from someone else.

And it's just going to get worse. I think Apple is going to migrate toward some sort of subscription plan that allows you to subscribe to x-number of episodes a month for a flat price when the new TV season starts in September. Maybe twenty episodes for $20 and $1.99 for each additional episode.

Today is not a good day to be a cable carrier.

toolhouse
Mar 20, 2007, 08:44 AM

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and it arrives on the 23rd as well. Confirmed arrival with FedEx!

840quadra
Mar 20, 2007, 08:53 AM
With my 5th Gen iPod filling up, and me only using it for TV shows / Movies for use on my TV, I am strongly considering buying an Apple TV.

I am looking forward to hearing some real world (Macrumors users) feedback on this device before I drop the coin to buy one!

netdog
Mar 20, 2007, 08:54 AM
Any sign of them in UK or USA stores yet?

bommai
Mar 20, 2007, 09:03 AM
That's odd my cable showed same price as when I ordered...:confused:

XTREMEMAC HDMI TO HDMI CABLE 2M-USA

TL951LL/A

$19.95

For best prices on good quality cables go to http://www.monoprice.com. I bought 2 6 ft HDMI cables there. Approx price for each is $5.90. I got both with shipping for under $15. The cables are gold plated with ferrite core and are built rock solid. It is insane to spend so much on cables especially those that carry digital data like HDMI cables.

bretm
Mar 20, 2007, 09:04 AM
Comcast's. Worst. Nightmare.

The cable carriers run a huge risk of losing value-added customers who buy extras like DVR, HD and premium channels. And if Comcast tries to recoup by raising the cost of Internet-only access, customers will dump them all together and get their Internet from someone else.

And it's just going to get worse. I think Apple is going to migrate toward some sort of subscription plan that allows you to subscribe to x-number of episodes a month for a flat price when the new TV season starts in September. Maybe twenty episodes for $20 and $1.99 for each additional episode.

Today is not a good day to be a cable carrier.

Except to have atv you have to have high speed internet! And let's not forget, there really aren't many choices. Here in ATL we've got comcast or dsl. DSL requires you also have a phone line. Comcast lowers it's price if you also have cable tv. Everyone gives you 2 out 3 of what you want. Satellite is great, but doesn't give you internet. DSL is ok, but you have to pay for a phone. We've gone the best route imho... Comcast cable (not digital) and internet. Vonage phone. Why does anyone pay $40 for digital voice? That is so bizarre. When Vonage and competitors are $20-25 for same (arguably better) service?

wallinbl
Mar 20, 2007, 09:05 AM
Handbrake, or mediafork?

I have Windows, and they sucks eggs on Windows. From what I've seen, they're mediocre on Mac. I have yet to find anything that can see all the episodes on BattleStar Galactica Season One.

macinfojunkie
Mar 20, 2007, 09:15 AM

how does that little nugget enrich our lives?

kevinbal
Mar 20, 2007, 09:19 AM
I have Windows, and they sucks eggs on Windows. From what I've seen, they're mediocre on Mac. I have yet to find anything that can see all the episodes on BattleStar Galactica Season One.

I've encoded every season of the Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park using Mediafork on the mac and it worked absolutely perfectly. Found a great little applescript that batch edited the files in iTunes to TV Show, Show name, season, and episode number....

It could be a problem with your disc if you "have yet to find anything that can see all the episodes on Battle Star Galactica Season One".

I can't wait for the 23rd :)

thestaton
Mar 20, 2007, 09:20 AM
I'm guessing that the apple stores won't be selling these until at least Friday / Saturday as well?

macinfojunkie
Mar 20, 2007, 09:21 AM

handbrake/Media Fork? Popcorn? QTPro? all with a little help from MTR of course ;-) That's the main reason I've ordered an Apple-TV is so I can use it to stream my kid's fav movies. That way there will be no panic of not being able to find the particular DVD they choose to watch on any given day! My order has shilled (UK) and should be here in the next couple of days :D

donlphi
Mar 20, 2007, 09:31 AM

Perhaps being a BattleStar Galactica Fan has raised your standards to a much higher level than the rest of the world. I think Media Fork is terrific for mac. I haven't had a chance to play with the PC version though. Only had problems converting Mallrats, Dogma, Reservoire Dogs, and Kill Bill.

It's okay though. I'll live. If I really need them on my computer, there are other ways. :D

macinfojunkie
Mar 20, 2007, 09:32 AM
Okay, but what if you don't have a HD TV? I'm not seeing the use of the Apple-TV on a regular TV. I mean can't computers already do HD on their monitors?

Hugh

I don't have a HDTV either and since I live in the UK can't buy movies (regardless of resolution) from the Apple store. Until both of those issues are rectified I'll be happy enough with my own encoded material - DVD rips, EyeTV recordings, iPhoto and iMovie projects and a graphical interface for itunes on my regular TV. The main criteria for getting value for this in the first instance is that you have a widescreen set. Sure HDTV will be sweet, but not essential to enjoy the benefits of Apple-TV - At least I hope so :p

Krevnik
Mar 20, 2007, 09:35 AM

Definitely sounds like a disc or drive issue.

One thing to consider is that I have also seen variations of what drives can read as well. What Mediafork would rip in one machine, it wouldn't rip in another. Very curious.

The funny thing is though, that I am getting Apple TV for the same reasons as you, and attempting to get rid of the same cable bill.

rphares
Mar 20, 2007, 09:39 AM
good news. glad apple came through. looking forward to playing with one in an apple store :) :apple:

I wonder, are they in the Apple Stores today?

I'm set to recieve mine on the 23rd and am curious if I'll be among the first (of the public) to play with this thing?

AndyR
Mar 20, 2007, 09:40 AM
Dam! I'm going to be near an Apple Store on Friday! Gonna have to tape my Amex into my wallet to stop it leaping out like a migrating salmon at the first sighting of the glowing Apple logo :apple:

QCassidy352
Mar 20, 2007, 09:49 AM

I agree. So I can watch content from my computer on my TV... who cares? Maybe if I had hundreds of movies and TV shows and a big screen TV... maybe.

fomoco
Mar 20, 2007, 09:50 AM
Handbrake, or mediafork?

Handbrake.
These are my settings for ripping.
Video Section: Change Average Bit Rate (kbps) to "3500"
Destination Section: Change Codecs to "AVC/H.264 Video / AAC Audio"
Audio Section: Change Bitrate (kbps) to "192"

The file size is roughly half of the original DVD and they look good. Really good. I am currently filling up a 1TB WD drive. Thank god for netflix and blockbuster.

rphares
Mar 20, 2007, 09:53 AM
I agree. So I can watch content from my computer on my TV... who cares? Maybe if I had hundreds of movies and TV shows and a big screen TV... maybe.

Yea, I don't see the point either. I mean - why would you want to import your home movies via iMovie and have a collection of those. And who would want to be able to flip through your iPhoto albums when your family is over.

And not to mention the pain of having an awesome display of your CD cover art on your tv when you're having a party.

And to watch video podcasts? Pffft - who needs 'em.

And that's all ASIDE from the iTunes purchased material. I just don't see the point in any of that. What a waste energy by apple - this will go under just like the ipod did!

Some_Big_Spoon
Mar 20, 2007, 09:56 AM
wake me when there's a dvr hack.

neilk2350
Mar 20, 2007, 10:08 AM

so in order to watch a Hi def movie how do you get it on your apple tv. also are people gonna rip all there regular movies to hard drive to have them when they want them? you'd need a lot of space and i'm waiting for the version with a cable card.

jhero
Mar 20, 2007, 10:16 AM
It's crazy how much u guys are paying for HDMI cables

monoprice.com = the best

ccreighton
Mar 20, 2007, 10:21 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I called an Apple store down here in Houston. They gave me a cryptic message along the lines of "we don't have them on the shelves." And to call back "around noon everyday".

When I asked if she meant to call back today around noon since they can't tell me anything right now she said "you could do that!". Not sure what it means but I'm getting one as soon as they appear in that store.

(1st post ever...)

snowmoon
Mar 20, 2007, 10:28 AM
so in order to watch a Hi def movie how do you get it on your apple tv. also are people gonna rip all there regular movies to hard drive to have them when they want them? you'd need a lot of space and i'm waiting for the version with a cable card.

I have a hard time differentiating between the original DVD and mediafork AVC/AAC at 2500/192. This results in video at about 1GB/hr. With the average content running 100minutes/disk you can store ~260 disks on a 500 GB drive. Encoding takes about 2x realtime for 2pass encoding. If you have more than 260 disks, then you can probably afford to spring for a little more storage.

I will probably pass on the Apple TV and go straight for a Mac Mini entertainment center loaded up with an eye tv hybrid ( or two ).

We dropped Cable a long time ago and I will probably switch up to FiOS once it's available since it's cheaper and faster than TW RoadRunner. With 20mbps down a 4mbps up it's smokin'. It will make it even easier to watch the ED/HD video casts that are out there. It's a strange new world out there for media companies and they are just not keeping up with the demand.

wallinbl
Mar 20, 2007, 10:30 AM

If they would put DVD ripping functionality in iTunes, I'd be all over that. I'd rip everything and watch it from AppleTV. Much better than swapping out discs and dealing with the previews that have that nifty 'Operation is currently prohibited' feature so you can't skip them. As far as HD movies, I wasn't watching that much on HBO & Showtime anyway.

donlphi
Mar 20, 2007, 10:31 AM
Cool. I wonder when we'll see some games on it. Even though the code is in there, we don't know when they'll actually implement it..

my understanding was, you would just be able to play the new iPOD games on your :apple: TV

I don't think there will be NEW games specifically for it.

QCassidy352
Mar 20, 2007, 10:33 AM
Yea, I don't see the point either. I mean - why would you want to import your home movies via iMovie and have a collection of those. And who would want to be able to flip through your iPhoto albums when your family is over.

And not to mention the pain of having an awesome display of your CD cover art on your tv when you're having a party.

And to watch video podcasts? Pffft - who needs 'em.

And that's all ASIDE from the iTunes purchased material. I just don't see the point in any of that. What a waste energy by apple - this will go under just like the ipod did!

Hey newbie, thanks for being a smart***. Great way to start around here.

My point is that you don't need an :apple: TV to do any of the things you suggested. You can view those things on your computer screen, or you can hook your laptop to your TV if you really *must* have it in your living room instead of whatever room you keep your computer in.

And your reference to the ipod is just oh-so-clever. Clearly, given that the ipod was wildly successful, everything else apple ever releases will be as well, even products that do entirely different things and target entirely different markets. (see? I can use sarcasm too! How impressive! :rolleyes: )

Don't talk to me about ipods. I had a 1st Gen before 95% of america knew what they were. My family and friends thought I was nuts, that I was taken by another apple product that nobody needed. I disagreed because the usefulness of the ipod, the need that it filled, was clear. The ipod filled a need that genuinely existed - people had been trying to carry large amounts of music with them for years, and it usually entailed a CD player and a big book of CDs.

I don't see that usefulness or need here. I've never had the slightest desire to display album art during a party (:rolleyes: ), show my family photos on my tv, or blow up video podcasts on a big screen. I see the :apple: TV as a device that you're trying to think up uses for, not one that does things that people actually wished they could do prior to :apple: TV's existence.

That said, if you want to spend $300 to move content, which you already own, 2 rooms over, go ahead.

shen
Mar 20, 2007, 10:42 AM
can't wait for the reviews, i think it may be an under-hyped product and we may see a lot of them leave the stores.

still, i opted for the mini as media center approach, so where is my mini update apple!

a456
Mar 20, 2007, 10:49 AM

To make coffee?

KingofAwesome
Mar 20, 2007, 10:53 AM

Hey, thanks for insulting new people. We want them to feel unwelcome, so that they don't ever risk contributing anything useful or entertaining.

My point is that you don't need an :apple: TV to do any of the things you suggested. You can view those things on your computer screen, or you can hook your laptop to your TV if you really *must* have it in your living room instead of whatever room you keep your computer in.

Really? Everyone will be satisfied with watching video on their computer screens or bringing their laptops into the living room? That's quite an interesting assertion, especially the parts where everybody has room for multiple people to sit and watch the computer screen, and they also have laptops. Unless you're saying that the $1000+ laptop makes more sense for everyone than the $300 ATV.

Don't talk to me about ipods. I had a 1st Gen before 95% of america knew what they were. My family and friends thought I was nuts, that I was taken by another apple product that nobody needed. I disagreed because the usefulness of the ipod, the need that it filled, was clear. The ipod filled a need that genuinely existed - people had been trying to carry large amounts of music with them for years, and it usually entailed a CD player and a big book of CDs.

We're all very impressed with your achievements, and are glad that you've chosen to use your experience in a productive and helpful manner.

I don't see that usefulness or need here. I've never had the slightest desire to display album art during a party (:rolleyes: ), show my family photos on my tv, or blow up video podcasts on a big screen. I see the :apple: TV as a device that you're trying to think up uses for, not one that does things that people actually wished they could do prior to :apple: TV's existence.

Do you really think that the consumer market should be limited to devices that YOU want? I think we might be better off letting companies decide what they want to release using some guidelines set forth by the laws of the countries they operate in, and then if the companies don't force us to buy them, we can make a choice. You shouldn't have to burden yourself with deciding what companies can and must produce. You've got more important things to do.

That said, if you want to spend $300 to move content, which you already own, 2 rooms over, go ahead.

I would also like to welcome the new user to this forum. I hope you find as many useful and insightful discussions as I do, despite the presence of some people who feel that they have much more jurisdiction in a publicly-accessible forum than you.

maxp1
Mar 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
Gonna wait for the second generation myself. Although :apple: TV is cool and all I just don't watch enough TV to make it worth having right now (and I don't own and am not interested in a HDTV at the moment). Now in a year or so I bet they'll have figured out the market for the thing and added a bunch of new interesting features that will make it worth it for me to buy one. Or :apple: TV may die a pathetic death before then due to a lack of interest.

Hugh
Mar 20, 2007, 11:16 AM
I don't have a HDTV either and since I live in the UK can't buy movies (regardless of resolution) from the Apple store. Until both of those issues are rectified I'll be happy enough with my own encoded material - DVD rips, EyeTV recordings, iPhoto and iMovie projects and a graphical interface for itunes on my regular TV. The main criteria for getting value for this in the first instance is that you have a widescreen set. Sure HDTV will be sweet, but not essential to enjoy the benefits of Apple-TV - At least I hope so :p

Now see I don't have a widescreen set. I just have a noraml 32'' TV. Sure the image is going to biger on the TV , but wouldn't look better on the computer screen?

I just thought about this. Can a Mac do suround sound? Can you streem the
suround sound? If it does, I can see reason to buy the AppleTV.

Hugh

mickeymikey
Mar 20, 2007, 11:18 AM

With all respect to your obvious senior status on the board, your personal lack of application for the :apple: TV is no reason to dismiss its use for the rest of the market. Sure, for many, it has little application, but there are those of us who have been waiting for a long time for such a device.

Like many, I have ripped my entire CD collection (~500 CDs) into iTunes, and I have purchased countless new "CDs" and songs from the iTunes store. Now that all this media lives on my Mac and iPod, I've been wanting a seemless way to distribute music to several rooms in the house. For a while, I've been using AirTunes to do this in four rooms, but it's pain to go to Mac in my study to change songs, etc. So, the ability to use a TV interface to access the iTunes share is perfect for me and my family.

For those of us with young children, photos and home videos are important items. The ability to easily share these with family and friends is a great way to spend time with loved ones. Sure, I could hook up my MB to my TV to do this, but I don't want to mess around with hooking it up everytime the relatives come in town. Set up the :apple: TV once, and your done.

The funny thing is that I bought a Linksys product about three years ago that claimed much of the same functionality, but it worked horribly. So, I'm not having to "make up uses" for the :apple: TV. I've been wanting to do all this stuff for a while. Sure, my needs and buget don't fit everyone, but I'm pretty certain that there are others with similar plans for the :apple: TV. It seems a little short-sighted to just generally dismiss an application for a product soley on one's own needs or lack thereof.

Adobe75
Mar 20, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm hoping for a hack that lets any mac app stream video to the :apple:TV. I have too many episodes of Prison Break and 24 in EyeTV to convert them all to iTunes. And there's no reason the :apple:TV hardware can't do a 720p MPEG2 stream.

Also... EyeTV is smart about using external drives. Yes, it still keeps separate libraries, but when I plug in my FW drive, the library on it appears automatically. In iTunes, I have to quit, hold down option, and select my new library. So I have to interact with my computer before I can switch from my movie library to my music library on the :apple:TV. Although I could put all my music in my movie library too... but then any new stuff I download I have to sync up. BAH! What a pain :rolleyes:

jonnypolite
Mar 20, 2007, 11:26 AM

Absolutely, i'm in the exact same situation. THis is a great solution for us, combine with a media server and we're good to go.

theman5725
Mar 20, 2007, 11:28 AM
I'm hoping for a hack that lets any mac app stream video to the :apple:TV. I have too many episodes of Prison Break and 24 in EyeTV to convert them all to iTunes. And there's no reason the :apple:TV hardware can't do a 720p MPEG2 stream.
You could just use iSquint to eventually convert them all. Just set up a huge queue and have it sit there for a couple of hours.

Peace
Mar 20, 2007, 11:29 AM

Also... EyeTV is smart about using external drives. Yes, it still keeps separate libraries, but when I plug in my FW drive, the library on it appears automatically. In iTunes, I have to quit, hold down option, and select my new library. So I have to interact with my computer before I can switch from my movie library to my music library on the :apple:TV. Although I could put all my music in my movie library too... but then any new stuff I download I have to sync up. BAH! What a pain :rolleyes:

Elgato said they were working with Apple to make both EyeTV and the :apple: TV work together.Hang in there I'm sure Elgato is getting ready to put out an update.

savar
Mar 20, 2007, 11:31 AM

Are you crazy?? Did you even see the Krups Keynote at WWCC2006?

QCassidy352
Mar 20, 2007, 11:34 AM
Hey, thanks for insulting new people. We want them to feel unwelcome, so that they don't ever risk contributing anything useful or entertaining.

I'm always welcoming, except when people come off as jerks for no reason right out of the gate. I don't react well to that.

We're all very impressed with your achievements, and are glad that you've chosen to use your experience in a productive and helpful manner.

Nobody's talking about achievements. I'm talking about the fact that it's not like I dismiss apple's products, or new products generally, out of hand. I just don't think THIS product is worthwhile.

Do you really think that the consumer market should be limited to devices that YOU want?

Of course not. But I still think the :apple: TV is a stupid product, and that Apple could have done better putting its resources in to developing other things. I never said you had to agree.

despite the presence of some people who feel that they have much more jurisdiction in a publicly-accessible forum than you.

First, I don't think you understand what "jurisdiction" means. Second, I never said he, or anyone, wasn't welcome to post. I just pointed out that rants might not be the best way to start out in a new community. He might have tried polite disagreement rather than caustic sarcasm.

With all respect to your obvious senior status on the board, your personal lack of application for the TV is no reason to dismiss its use for the rest of the market. Sure, for many, it has little application, but there are those of us who have been waiting for a long time for such a device.

Honestly, I have no interest in arguing with you all any more. If you like the :apple: TV then good for you, buy and enjoy. I still think it's an overpriced, under-featured niche product with little practical application. Since I think my position is clear, and the fact (and reasons) that many of you disagree with me is also quite clear, I'm just going to bow out of this argument now.

Eric Lewis
Mar 20, 2007, 11:38 AM
Mine comes on the 23rd too! yeah to london ontario canada...ordered the first day you could preorder! im so exicted!

rphares
Mar 20, 2007, 11:43 AM
QCassidy352, I apoligize for coming across as a jerk. But I was genuinely surprised by your post. After your explanation I can see your general stand-point - I would just disagree with you.

I do think your predictions are narrow minded... and I mean that in the most un-jerk-ly manner possible.

robbyx
Mar 20, 2007, 11:49 AM
Got my shipping notice last night. I only ordered mine a few weeks ago, so it looks like they are filling all of the pre-sale orders. I'm so tired of my lousy JVC network media player and all of its bugs and flaws. I'm really hoping the Apple TV will deliver the level of quality and user experience I expect from Apple.

That said, the BIGGEST problem with Apple TV has nothing to do with the box itself. Ripping DVDs to MP4 format is very time-consuming, even on relatively new hardware. H.264 encoding is brutally slow. I hope there's some truth to the rumor that Apple is adding support for H.264 in hardware. This will make converting video for Apple TV far less painful.

robbyx
Mar 20, 2007, 11:54 AM
If they would put DVD ripping functionality in iTunes, I'd be all over that. I'd rip everything and watch it from AppleTV.

Never going to happen. But you don't need it either. Both MediaFork/HandBrake and MacTheRipper can rip DVDs. MediaFork can also rip and encode directly to H.264/MP4. You can then import the file to iTunes. There are a lot of other conversion utilities out there too. A great one is MPEG StreamClip. It can convert all sorts of video to H.264, fix timecode errors, etc. And it's free!

There's no reason to hold off on buying an Apple TV if DVD ripping is your only concern.

sonofpismo
Mar 20, 2007, 12:00 PM
"Honestly, I have no interest in arguing with you all any more. If you like the :apple: TV then good for you, buy and enjoy. I still think it's an overpriced, under-featured niche product with little practical application. Since I think my position is clear, and the fact (and reasons) that many of you disagree with me is also quite clear, I'm just going to bow out of this argument now."

How about not hanging around a thread for a product you have no interest in buying. You are just as bad a he is. And now, I am just as bad as you.

macinfojunkie
Mar 20, 2007, 12:01 PM
Now see I don't have a widescreen set. I just have a normal 32'' TV. Sure the image is going to biger on the TV , but wouldn't look better on the computer screen?

I just thought about this. Can a Mac do suround sound? Can you streem the
suround sound? If it does, I can see reason to buy the AppleTV.

Hugh

The lack of widescreen might be a hindrance to you. AFAIK ATV does not do surround. at least not full 5.1, and Macs are the same, without 3rd party software and speakers. You might get away with an ATV if your set supports a "widescreen mode" but personally I think you'd find it too much of a compromise and might be better off waiting until you've upgraded your TV. I'm not entirely sure what the reason for needing a widesceen is, given that ATV must surely be capable of streaming 4:3 content - I think I read somewhere it was an necessity for the user interface since it has been designed for a widescreen display.

Lyle
Mar 20, 2007, 12:05 PM
How about not hanging around a thread for a product you have no interest in buying. You are just as bad a he is. And now, I am just as bad as you.I think all three of you suck. So there. ;)

No, just kidding. But back to the thread topic: Can anyone with more of a clue than I tell me if there is a way to use :apple: TV with a non-HD TV? A converter cable or what-have-you that sits in the middle?

cbud
Mar 20, 2007, 12:05 PM

And your reference to the ipod is just oh-so-clever. Clearly, given that the ipod was wildly successful, everything else apple ever releases will be as well, even products that do entirely different things and target entirely different markets. (see? I can use sarcasm too! How impressive! :rolleyes: )

On demand 720p movies and TV is enough of a reason to buy one for me. The content is not here quite yet, but just wait, I see the Sopranos, 24, and West Wing coming to iTMS soon!

cbud
Mar 20, 2007, 12:12 PM
The lack of widescreen might be a hindrance to you. AFAIK ATV does not do surround. at least not full 5.1, and Macs are the same, without 3rd party software and speakers. You might get away with an ATV if your set supports a "widescreen mode" but personally I think you'd find it too much of a compromise and might be better off waiting until you've upgraded your TV. I'm not entirely sure what the reason for needing a widesceen is, given that ATV must surely be capable of streaming 4:3 content - I think I read somewhere it was an necessity for the user interface since it has been designed for a widescreen display.

Some movie trailers have 5.1 AAC. Check out this link...

http://www.thismuchiknow.co.uk/?p=24

Stella
Mar 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm looking forward to reviews of AppleTV ,the actual capabilities. On the face of it, unless you live in the states, the usage of this is going to quite limited ( i.e., no tv content ).

Wonder what, if any, games will be shipped?

cbud
Mar 20, 2007, 12:25 PM

Handbrake works great on a Mac, especially for iPod compatible video. It is true, some DVD titles don't show up using Handbrake, but there are ways to fix that.

iMac G5->MTR beta->dvdoneX->handbrake->BattleStar Galactica on my iPod!

cbud
Mar 20, 2007, 12:31 PM
I'm looking forward to reviews of AppleTV ,the actual capabilities. On the face of it, unless you live in the states, the usage of this is going to quite limited ( i.e., no tv content ).

Wonder what, if any, games will be shipped?

Shipped with the @TV? Hopefully by the end of the week iTMS will start showing 720p video and games. We know it is coming, but don't know how long we will have to wait.

Hopefully Apple will get some deals worked out with the movie studios so Europe can get some content. I read somewhere else that some TV shows don't air overseas till way after the original U.S. airdates, makes me think there are a lot of hurdles to pass first.

macinfojunkie
Mar 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
QCassidy352, I apoligize for coming across as a jerk. But I was genuinely surprised by your post. After your explanation I can see your general stand-point - I would just disagree with you.

I do think your predictions are narrow minded... and I mean that in the most un-jerk-ly manner possible.

rphares , I don't think you have cause to apologise. After all, your are entitled to your opinion, as the other guys is. You did clearly state you were trying to be sarcastic, rather then just post as if you were being clever.

When I saw how you were maligned for your post, I just thought to myself that your party sounded like a lot more fun that than QCassidy352's.

from a fellow newbie. Welcome to the forum :-)

mrgreen4242
Mar 20, 2007, 12:45 PM
Handbrake works great on a Mac, especially for iPod compatible video. It is true, some DVD titles don't show up using Handbrake, but there are ways to fix that.

iMac G5->MTR beta->dvdoneX->handbrake->BattleStar Galactica on my iPod!

I had no trouble ripping BSG DVDs with handbrake? Weird.

williedigital
Mar 20, 2007, 12:48 PM
one thing that people overlook when they do that "i'm gonna use a mac mini instead" thing is that the mac mini frontrow and itv interface are very different. The one that pops out at me is the movie information that is listed below each cover that says the year of release, director, etc. Another is coverflow for music.

This raises some interesting questions.

1. Is Frontrow 2.0 going to have the same interface as iTV?

2. Is Frontrow 2.0 going to be released at the same time as iTV or with Leopard or at some other time?

3. Where does that movie info stuff come from? Is it a tag (like id3), or is it downloaded (imdb or the apple store?), or is it user entered?

4. If it's user entered, is that done in itunes? quicktime? from the iTV with a keyboard?

5. If the iTV does eventually incorporate games, what do you use to control them? the apple remote? some usb device?

6. Currently in itunes you can only use the "list" view for browsing shared libraries, seemingly since cover flow is too data-intense to do wirelessly. How does iTV overcome this hurdle? Does it download all cover images to the internal hd? How long does that take with large libraries?

Whoever gets one in-hand, give the people some answers.

dextertangocci
Mar 20, 2007, 12:52 PM
I wonder when it will be available in South Africa... Usually a few days after the EU... I want one now!!!:D :cool: :)

KingofAwesome
Mar 20, 2007, 12:58 PM
rphares , I don't think you have cause to apologise. After all, your are entitled to your opinion, as the other guys is. You did clearly state you were trying to be sarcastic, rather then just post as if you were being clever.

When I saw how you were maligned for your post, I just thought to myself that your party sounded like a lot more fun that than QCassidy352's.

from a fellow newbie. Welcome to the forum :-)

I agree. I think the guy who chewed rphares out for using sarcasm (blatantly obvious sarcasm, no less) was annoyed that rphares disagreed with him. And frankly, the guy comes across as someone who has a very narrow view of the world, projecting his demographic on the entire world, and he seems quite adamant that his opinions and his way of doing things are clearly the best way to do things.

It's unfortunate, particularly because that attitude is not uncommon in the Apple world. I hope that Apple continues to gain market share so that the Apple-using population can normalize a bit.

I also would rather party with rphares. But please, no BSG on the :apple:TV.

cbud
Mar 20, 2007, 01:03 PM
one thing that people overlook when they do that "i'm gonna use a mac mini instead" thing is that the mac mini frontrow and itv interface are very different. The one that pops out at me is the movie information that is listed below each cover that says the year of release, director, etc. Another is coverflow for music.

This raises some interesting questions.

1. Is Frontrow 2.0 going to have the same interface as iTV?

2. Is Frontrow 2.0 going to be released at the same time as iTV or with Leopard or at some other time?

3. Where does that movie info stuff come from? Is it a tag (like id3), or is it downloaded (imdb or the apple store?), or is it user entered?

4. If it's user entered, is that done in itunes? quicktime? from the iTV with a keyboard?

5. If the iTV does eventually incorporate games, what do you use to control them? the apple remote? some usb device?

6. Currently in itunes you can only use the "list" view for browsing shared libraries, seemingly since cover flow is too data-intense to do wirelessly. How does iTV overcome this hurdle? Does it download all cover images to the internal hd? How long does that take with large libraries?

Whoever gets one in-hand, give the people some answers.

The movie info is just a tag. You can use iTunes to modify most of it, some tags require the use of another program (eg Lostify). The games will be basic for now, you would just use the remote. At the Keynote, the album art was there when Steve was browsing his buddy's laptop.

One thing Mac Mini users are forgetting is that the @TV is designed to output video to a HDTV. You won't have to worry about the picture being cropped, miss-aligned, or converting from one interface to another. I think the overall picture quality from the @TV will surpass that of the Mac Mini.

williedigital
Mar 20, 2007, 01:11 PM
The movie info is just a tag. You can use iTunes to modify most of it, some tags require the use of another program (eg Lostify).

I'm pretty sure that the screenshot i saw from iTV had info on director (labeled as such) and actors, etc. Those tags aren't available currently in itunes or lostify.

cbud
Mar 20, 2007, 01:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that the screenshot i saw from iTV had info on director (labeled as such) and actors, etc. Those tags aren't available currently in itunes or lostify.

I don't know, I have not seen those screen shots. Director could go in the artist field and the actors etc. could be put in the description. I don't see the @TV having different tags from what can be seen in iTunes.

vkxonline
Mar 20, 2007, 01:23 PM
Man, every time there's AppleTV news, some asshat comes in here to let us know that AppleTV sucks and he's not buying one. THANKS FOR THE UPDATE. Make sure to keep posting on every AppleTV thread, because we certainly care about your opinion.

I'm all for debate over the product, but it's SO TIRED. Every single AppleTV thread has turned into a debate over the worth of the product. It's always the same arguments, nothing new is ever said. I'm just so done with it. Isn't there a place for someone who doesn't care about the debate and just wants to discuss the news? I thought that was here.

At any rate, I called two local Apple stores and they told me they don't have them on the shelves yet. It's just after 1pm here. I'm guess we'll see them in a few days then. The anticipation is killing me.

KingofAwesome
Mar 20, 2007, 01:34 PM
Man, every time there's AppleTV news, some asshat comes in here to let us know that AppleTV sucks and he's not buying one. THANKS FOR THE UPDATE. Make sure to keep posting on every AppleTV thread, because we certainly care about your opinion.

I'm all for debate over the product, but it's SO TIRED. Every single AppleTV thread has turned into a debate over the worth of the product. It's always the same arguments, nothing new is ever said. I'm just so done with it. Isn't there a place for someone who doesn't care about the debate and just wants to discuss the news? I thought that was here.

At any rate, I called two local Apple stores and they told me they don't have them on the shelves yet. It's just after 1pm here. I'm guess we'll see them in a few days then. The anticipation is killing me.

I think those people are just annoyed that we haven't all boycotted it. They want us to agree that the same thing can be accomplished by connecting our laptops, or maybe they want us to agree that we don't want to do those things anyway.

I sent out a message to a friend who works at the local Apple store. He's going to let me know when they're going to be on the floor. And then I'm going to go there and play with it (or, more likely, join the crowd of people watching someone else play with it).

Mar 20, 2007, 01:36 PM
I've been reading a few posts going back and forth here and I think that some perspective needs to be maintained...

You don't *need* a laptop or a TV, either.

Semantics aside, nobody here seems to have genuinely confused the AppleTV or any class of products remotely related to it as being on par with shelter, food or toilet paper.

Given that, the impetus for purchasing an AppleTV is based on the same kind of desirability, not necessity, factors as any other product that isn't strictly essential to survival in its simplest terms.

Knowing that, let's simply say you are an individual who likes to watch movies on your computer or you don't mind hooking up your laptop to your TV. I get that... and I get that you're not really who Apple's targeting with this product.

I happen to have a management background with an academic emphasis in marketing, and I'm presently a financial analyst so I'd like to speak to this...

iPod is successful for the same reasons AppleTV will be successful... because both are products that apply three principles:

1. Careful study of human use of technology - Apple puts extensive research into not just how we use technology, but how we naturally interact with non-technological items in the real world. Features such as scroll momentum in the iPhone aren't imitations of existing behaviors of technology, but physical behaviors in the real world that add layers of feedback into the design that the human experience expects from real-world objects.

2. Industrial design - The two most important words in Steve Jobs' vocabulary. Industrial design translates to form IS function. Very few companies get this right on the first try. Apple is one of them.

3. Customer input - Apple's product engineers on the edge of a new idea shape that idea into something useful by way of the feedback received on similar products. iPod is really an evolution of various technologies Apple already had in place, beginning with Quicktime, taking advantage of firewire (something they made standard on a PC before anyone else), giving mobility to iTunes and incorporating the UI in a way that makes the iPod a more elegant and therefore more usable solution than other MP3 players on the market.

And contrary to your assertion... the iPod and AppleTV are directly related... in that they are both devices that address the mobility and interconnectivity of media/content. The computer network, in this time of technological convergence, is becoming the ubiquitous backbone of home entertainment and AppleTV bridges the gap to the living room... That gap which you deem insignificant is actually the biggest hindrance to wider adoption of consumer purchasing of media over the internet.

Apple clearly paid attention to the market research that supports this from various financial analysts and tech research firms, as well as their own internal analysis of external feedback from ideas and feelers they put out before they bring new products/features to market... and their timing couldn't be more perfect, given the formidable growth of HDTV ownership this past year, the expansion of internet distributed content, decline in flexible-format media storage (HDD, flash, etc.) and increase in consumer demand for on-demand a-la carte content.

And I wrote a research paper on the internet distribution of music and video in 1996, the same year I began recording and mastering professional audio on first generation Power Macs.

So there you are.

Well, let me offer that AppleTV didn't come about by throwing darts at a wall.

In fact, it is the result of Apple's 20+ years in digital multimedia, an effort that really began with the inclusion of 8 and then 16-bit sound in the Macintosh.

Since then, evolutions in product design have been leading up to today... Bernstein Research projects that TV episode downloads will expand to nearly 500 million in 2011 up from 41 million in 2005. Movie downloads are expected to grow to 213 million from 1.6 million in 2005 according to Adams Media Research.

How Apple came to the design of the AppleTV is a combination of external data as well as the field research of their own product engineers. I know a former product engineer from Apple. He explains that after Jobs' return, product engineers would put ideas before consumers, vendors, businesses, analysts, etc. which are often extensions of existing technology... to try to identify what they like, don't like, want to see, etc.

AppleTV is the kind of product that is the result of a combination of Apple's own ingenuity at redefining technology combined with some of this field data to help shape how that product took form. Again, not throwing darts at a wall.

The fact is, and research supports this, that a huge number of consumers want to be able to download movies and television episodes off the internet AND view them on their TV. Apple has developed a solution that bridges the gap in a simpler, more elegant fashion that appeals to the average consumer.

Now, I know that you're going to say "But connecting a computer to the TV isn't that hard"... I agree, but then I would consider myself quite technologically literate, and yet even I think this is not the most elegant solution. I would rather it be a wireless solution and in my case it's for some additional reasons the average guy might not have.

The average guy may find a wireless solution simply elegant. I find it also economical because I have not one but four computers, and content spread across them, across 500 gigabytes of collective hard disk storage over the network. I do not want to move these computers into my living room, thank you. I have a computer room and that is where my computers, external drives, peripherals, monitors, NTSC reference monitors, DAT decks, 24-channel audio I/O, synthesizers, and audio/video postproduction software resides.

balamw
Mar 20, 2007, 01:52 PM

So does mine, but did you follow through to FedEx tracking? I see "Package received after FedEx cutoff," which isn't giving me a warm fuzzy of seeing it this week.

Grrr....

B

izzle22
Mar 20, 2007, 02:07 PM
The movie info is just a tag. You can use iTunes to modify most of it, some tags require the use of another program (eg Lostify). The games will be basic for now, you would just use the remote. At the Keynote, the album art was there when Steve was browsing his buddy's laptop.

One thing Mac Mini users are forgetting is that the @TV is designed to output video to a HDTV. You won't have to worry about the picture being cropped, miss-aligned, or converting from one interface to another. I think the overall picture quality from the @TV will surpass that of the Mac Mini.

I don't remember any coverflow album art when Steve was browsing his buddy's laptop, I only remember a list of TV shows. Someone tell me if I'm wrong but I think the only way you will have coverflow on ATV is to put music on the ATVs 40g HD. I hope Im wrong because I have 110g of music with album art that I will be streaming to my ATV and I would like coverflow, I'm just not thinking it will work that way.

hking
Mar 20, 2007, 02:10 PM
iPod games will not play on Apple TV.

from http://www.apple.com/appletv

not to say it will NEVER happen

rphares
Mar 20, 2007, 02:11 PM
Wow Avatar74.

My post earlier about him being ‘narrow-minded in his predictions’ were for the exact reasons that you have listed. I just don’t have the ability to lay it out as plainly as you have. Nice work. :apple:

whatever
Mar 20, 2007, 02:16 PM

I agree and basically who needs a computer either, since I can do everything "I" need to do with out one.

Don't talk to me about ipods. I had a 1st Gen before 95% of america knew what they were.

Your medal is in the mail. But wait, shouldn't I have one too, since I too had an original 5GB iPod. However, I guess I surround myself with smarter people than you because they thought it was cool and they all bought the next generation iPod.

I see the use of Apple TV. I watch several different Podcasts and although my office is very comfortable (I love my Freedom Chair), I would really like to watch it on my Pioneer Elite Plasma in the comfort of my living room. Sure I could move a laptop into the room and hook it up (but that would require me to hook up some cables) or I could run some cables from my desk top machine, but.... that's to much work and then my ADD will kick in and I've moved on. However with an Apple TV, I can press a button on my remote, view and watch my downloaded Podcasts. My TiVo missed a show the other night (that's happening more and more lately!), so I downloaded it from iTunes, but I was to lazy to run cables, so I watched in on my 30" ACD. Yeah, that worked, but I would have preferred to watch on the big screen.

Sure not everyone will want this product, but it's obvious that there is a market for it.

hking
Mar 20, 2007, 02:17 PM

LMFAO!!! thanks I needed a good laugh.

*crowns you the title of 'First to own 1st Gen iPod'*

whatever
Mar 20, 2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah. I guess it's illegal to download the HD-version, even if you've bought the DVD. I don't really feel like starting to buy physical stuff, though. (But I haven't got a HD-TV either, so no worries for me.. :))
The good news is that both BlueRay and HD-TV have both been hacked.

Also you remember that the movie industry only wants to make money and they would prefer the masses to spend the money they would spend on a player on actual content (instead of spending $600.00 on a player they would rather have the consumer spend $600.00 on their content).

EagerDragon
Mar 20, 2007, 02:39 PM
Looks like NZ is following suite with Australia, my order has now moved again from the 20th to 27th.

Looking forward to hearing reports of how it works.

Cheers, Ed.

Maybe much longer swim, with JAWS taking bites out of the Apple box.

williedigital
Mar 20, 2007, 02:42 PM
I don't know, I have not seen those screen shots. Director could go in the artist field and the actors etc. could be put in the description. I don't see the @TV having different tags from what can be seen in iTunes.

It was during the keynote. sort of blurry.

shigzeo
Mar 20, 2007, 02:59 PM
It's crazy how much u guys are paying for HDMI cables

monoprice.com = the best

i won't even open up the sort of quality-o-phile in me that says never to trust a cable under us 30$. i have a pair of cheap cables now that cannot differ much from those from monoprice that pick up static and are rubbish. my movie or music must never be subjected to rubbish connectors, unshielded stuff.

but then, if i were strapped for dosh...

yagran
Mar 20, 2007, 03:12 PM
the uk store now says ready to ship: 5 days.

but i dont understand...in the us it has movies and tv shows to play, but we dont have that here in the uk so tell me why it costs more?

US: $299 (£152.43)
compared with
UK: £199 ($390.35)

why do we pay £50 more when it does less for us? :apple:=:( atm

rphares
Mar 20, 2007, 03:16 PM

but i dont understand...in the us it has movies and tv shows to play, but we dont have that here in the uk so tell me why it costs more?

compared with

Very good point. Doesn't make much sense.

Or... it might actually be a good sign. Do you think it might have something to do with the higher costs of attaining movie and television licensing for the UK?

Just a thought.

yagran
Mar 20, 2007, 03:23 PM
no i think its typical apple, thining they can ship the same products to the uk and charge abit more. i promise you sales will flop in the uk if they didnt give it a real purpose, ie videa content through itunes.

balamw
Mar 20, 2007, 03:23 PM
Very good point. Doesn't make much sense.
I presume the UK price includes VAT, while our sales taxes are not included. Not $100 worth, but not insignificant either, since it could easily add up to $30 in some US markets.

FWIW, The FedEx package tracking reports my :apple:TV box as weighing 7.1kg or just about 15 pounds. :confused: The device itself (http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html) is only ~1kg so where's the added 6 kg? :confused:

B

yagran
Mar 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
the funniest thing is that the best answer ive had out of apple is "we produce less uk style wall plugs, so they cost more to produce, inturn this drives slightly higher prices" < to which i said your telling me a wall plug costs you $$$$$+ to make? < to which i never got a reply...lol

Peace
Mar 20, 2007, 03:28 PM
I presume the UK price includes VAT, while our sales taxes are not included. Not $100 worth, but not insignificant either, since it could easily add up to $30 in some US markets.

FWIW, The FedEx package tracking reports my :apple:TV box as weighing 7.1kg or just about 15 pounds. :confused: The device itself (http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html) is only ~1kg so where's the added 6 kg? :confused:

B

I've seen that all over and think what happened was the shipper got the weight backwards since the :apple: TV weighs 1.7kg.

davede70
Mar 20, 2007, 03:39 PM
I see the use of Apple TV. I watch several different Podcasts and although my office is very comfortable (I love my Freedom Chair), I would really like to watch it on my Pioneer Elite Plasma in the comfort of my living room. Sure I could move a laptop into the room and hook it up (but that would require me to hook up some cables) or I could run some cables from my desk top machine, but.... that's to much work and then my ADD will kick in and I've moved on. However with an Apple TV, I can press a button on my remote, view and watch my downloaded Podcasts. My TiVo missed a show the other night (that's happening more and more lately!), so I downloaded it from iTunes, but I was to lazy to run cables, so I watched in on my 30" ACD. Yeah, that worked, but I would have preferred to watch on the big screen.

Sure not everyone will want this product, but it's obvious that there is a market for it.

This is dead on. It's a matter of ease of use. I own an apple because I hate wasting time. It's intuitive and it allows me to do things in less steps that it takes on a PC. This is why I will probably end up getting an :apple: TV over hooking up my macbook or getting a MacMini and using that. I just want to point and click with my remote and look at my stuff in least amount of steps of possible. Like Whatever, ADD and my laziness will force me to happily fork over the 300 bucks for :apple: TV.

rphares
Mar 20, 2007, 03:40 PM
I've seen that all over and think what happened was the shipper got the weight backwards since the :apple: TV weighs 1.7kg.

Mine also says 7.1 kg. Weird.

And according to my Fed Ex tracking it's reached Hong Kong :D

Peace
Mar 20, 2007, 03:44 PM
Mine also says 7.1 kg. Weird.

And according to my Fed Ex tracking it's reached Hong Kong :D

The ones destined for USA will wind up in Indianapolis tomorrow sometime for customs then go out on different planes then.Lets hope the evil ones dont decide to blow up the plane carrying all our :apple: TV's . :p

kidtronix
Mar 20, 2007, 03:50 PM
So, some of you guys are talking about ripping DVDs into .avi files with that h. codec. Even if that works, what about subtitles? The Apple TV doesn't have any subtitle support does it? This would all be a lot more interesting if it was a straight up media player, like a VLC player. I'd buy it in a second.

williedigital
Mar 20, 2007, 03:55 PM
So, some of you guys are talking about ripping DVDs into .avi files with that h. codec. Even if that works, what about subtitles? The Apple TV doesn't have any subtitle support does it? This would all be a lot more interesting if it was a straight up media player, like a VLC player. I'd buy it in a second.

Handbrake "hard codes" the subtitles directly into the media stream. Also, unlike .avi, the .mp4 container supports both .srt (timed text) subtitles and vobsub (the same ones on the dvd) to be muxed into the container along with the vid and audio. Currently, quicktime doesn't support playback of .srt or vobsub within the .mp4 container (vlc does), but from what I understand, the next version of Perian will. Interesting to see if you'll be able to use non-apple components with the quicktime on itv.

kidtronix
Mar 20, 2007, 04:01 PM
Handbrake "hard codes" the subtitles directly into the media stream. Also, unlike .avi, the .mp4 container supports both .srt (timed text) subtitles and vobsub (the same ones on the dvd) to be muxed into the container along with the vid and audio. Currently, quicktime doesn't support playback of .srt or vobsub within the .mp4 container (vlc does), but from what I understand, the next version of Perian will. Interesting to see if you'll be able to use non-apple components with the quicktime on itv.

Not sure what you mean with 'container', my english fails me there. But surely I can watch .avi files with both srt subs and idx/subs with VLC. That has nothing to do with the file format, heck I can watch WMP videos with subs.

I'd get an Apple TV if I can hack it, basically. I don't see the reason for backing up my DVDs so I can use the Apple TV, I've got an DVD player.

bommai
Mar 20, 2007, 04:03 PM
i won't even open up the sort of quality-o-phile in me that says never to trust a cable under us 30$. i have a pair of cheap cables now that cannot differ much from those from monoprice that pick up static and are rubbish. my movie or music must never be subjected to rubbish connectors, unshielded stuff.

but then, if i were strapped for dosh...

If you have not bought from monoprice, quit talking. They are inexpensive, no way cheap. All I can say is that the $5.98 6ft HDMI cable that I got from monoprice are gold plated, has ferrite core for reducing interference and have worked flawlessly connected between my 61" HD-ILA and PS3. I also have another cable going between my Sony HD-DVR and my TV. I just got their banana plugs and 100 ft of 12 AWG speaker cable. Both look awesome. The banana plugs (screw type) are $1.80 per pair. Gold plated, heavy duty, looks awesome.

rphares
Mar 20, 2007, 04:11 PM
If you have not bought from monoprice, quit talking. They are inexpensive, no way cheap. All I can say is that the $5.98 6ft HDMI cable that I got from monoprice are gold plated, has ferrite core for reducing interference and have worked flawlessly connected between my 61" HD-ILA and PS3. I also have another cable going between my Sony HD-DVR and my TV. I just got their banana plugs and 100 ft of 12 AWG speaker cable. Both look awesome. The banana plugs (screw type) are $1.80 per pair. Gold plated, heavy duty, looks awesome.

Damn nice setup.

williedigital
Mar 20, 2007, 04:16 PM
Not sure what you mean with 'container', my english fails me there. But surely I can watch .avi files with both srt subs and idx/subs with VLC. That has nothing to do with the file format, heck I can watch WMP videos with subs.

Right, with vlc, if you have a movie file of any type (movie.avi, movie.wmv, etc) and a subtitle file (movie.srt, movie.sub) vlc will play the movie with the subtitles. A "cleaner" way or doing subs is to combine them along with the video and audio into the .mp4 container though, and have the player select or deselect them.

The program yamb for example, will take a movie.avi and a movie.srt file and combine the video, audio, and subtitles into a movie.mp4 file. Vlc will then play that file and the subtitles will be selectable.

Apple, out of laziness or some other reason, hasn't added the basic ability to view these subtitle files into quicktime. The Perian component, which also allows you to view unsupported codecs in quicktime, is said to be implementing subtitle support in the next version of their quicktime component. It remains to be seen whether you can get at the guts of the itv and switch out things like quicktime components.

WilliamLondon
Mar 20, 2007, 04:19 PM

What the hell did you have a 1st gen iPod for? Why didn't you just cart your stereo around with you from room to room, place to place? You owned the content already, as you say...

WilliamLondon
Mar 20, 2007, 04:22 PM

How about streaming it live from EyeTV to atv?? Wouldn't that be cool?!?! The world could divorce the cable/sat connection from the television completely...

ActionGaz
Mar 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
Not all Australian orders have been pushed back. I received shipping notification overnight. Shipped on 20/03 expected by 23/03.

macinfojunkie
Mar 20, 2007, 04:49 PM

Because we're worth it ;-)

infomatique
Mar 20, 2007, 04:59 PM
I live in Dublin, Ireland. My order was shipped today.

macinfojunkie
Mar 20, 2007, 05:04 PM

Do you think it might have something to do with the higher costs of attaining movie and television licensing for the UK?

Just a thought.

Not likely. Everything Apple and most other companies sell is noticeably more expansive in the UK. Various spurious reasons are given, but most can not be justified beyond the fact that companies seem to be able to get away with higher prices. This kind of situation is ripe for exploitation from a monopoly provider (fact not a troll statement) such as Apple.

The cost differential with the US is of course heightened at the moment because the green-back is weak against the pound, yet the Euro is not weak against Stirling, yet they pay 40c or so less for tracks from itunes. It is one of the downsides of living in the UK that the cost of living is so high.

it is part of the price we pay for not having to live under the direct rule of G W Bush... Doh! but we have his poodle (Blair) so there goes that little comfort (but I digress :) )

macinfojunkie
Mar 20, 2007, 05:06 PM
Not all Australian orders have been pushed back. I received shipping notification overnight. Shipped on 20/03 expected by 23/03.

I wonder if the apparent delay in some Australian orders is due to apple diverting stock to US/Europe similar to the way Sony delayed the PS3 launch in Europe to keep up with US demand?

infomatique
Mar 20, 2007, 05:42 PM

compared with

Don't forget the 17.5% VAT (UK) or 21% in Ireland (I believe that it is 25% in Sweden). Also, in order to make a fair comparison you should really compare the wholesale prices in both markets.

Here is the way it works for nearly everything electronic:
We charge $299 in America
Then to make life easy we charge Euro 299 in Europe. In general there is plenty of slack built in so we do not have to worry changes in currency changes.

Some companies operate a different system ... If the US price is $299 then the UK price is Stg 299.
As a matter of Interest Adobe Photoshop CS2 costs Stg 200 more in the UK than it does in the USA

One excuse is the cost of internal distribution ... this may be true in Ireland and some other low population countries but the UK has the most efficient goods distribution in the world.

Cult Follower
Mar 20, 2007, 05:43 PM
they're a little late, but I just want one.

Krevnik
Mar 20, 2007, 05:50 PM
Not likely. Everything Apple and most other companies sell is noticeably more expansive in the UK. Various spurious reasons are given, but most can not be justified beyond the fact that companies seem to be able to get away with higher prices.

Under US law, you aren't required to include sales tax or VAT in the price of the item. Under UK law, you are required to include VAT in the price of items.

So part of the problem is that there is higher pricing involved (169.36 GBP is about 329.17 USD, which is a markup of about 10%), but then you have VAT on top of that. In the US, I still paid sales tax on my Apple TV which put it at about 328 USD, because of the relatively low 9% sales tax in the area (which is partly due to federal income tax).

The pricing for items is not entirely apples and oranges... but then again... 10% is a noticable difference in pricing when tax is correctly removed from the total.

garzaroger
Mar 20, 2007, 06:47 PM

I remember that in the specifications they used to say that the USB was only for maintenance... Not anymore... Hopefully they already added funcionality like external storage ¡¡¡¡

skinnylegs
Mar 20, 2007, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by QCassidy352
That said, if you want to spend $300 to move content, which you already own, 2 rooms over, go ahead.Thank you.....I did and I expect the arrival of my Apple TV tomorrow or the next day. Gee whiz.....if $300 is such a hardship then just come out and say it but *don't* attempt lame justifications. :rolleyes:

FleurDuMal
Mar 20, 2007, 07:13 PM
I wonder if the apparent delay in some Australian orders is due to apple diverting stock to US/Europe similar to the way Sony delayed the PS3 launch in Europe to keep up with US demand?

I doubt the European market is much of priority in this launch. Despite being an ardent user of Handbrake myself, I find the launch of AppleTV in regions that don't even have any TV shows of films on their iTMS a little embarrassng for Apple.

Makes me wonder whether they'll even bother stocking it in UK stores, as it's gonna give the shop assistants a pretty hard time justifying a customer buying it. What are they gonna do? Tell the customer to download MacTheRipper and Handbrake and then give them a step by step guide to ripping: "...and then you want to choose baseline x264 at 1500kbs..."

Triplenickle
Mar 20, 2007, 07:36 PM
I have a 80GB Mac mini attached to my HD projector and stream music, etc. via my apple network now... Can anyone tell me what advantage(s) the APPLE TV has over this set-up?

Thanks

eddyg
Mar 20, 2007, 07:48 PM

When did you order yours?

I ordered mine on the 11th Jan. The order status is now reading a range of dates:

Ships by: 27/03/2007 - 29/03/2007
Delivers by: 03/04/2007 - 05/04/2007

Sounds as if they are not sure about when they can do it. Not as if they are afraid of changing the dates on me anyway :)

I phoned up about the cable, it is still part of the order. Apparently they had to swap the Apple TV - AUS with an Apple TV - AUS because of internal database issues whereby they cancelled the old Apple TV - AUS. The part number remains the same however as MA711X/A.

Cheers, Ed.

Peace
Mar 20, 2007, 07:56 PM
I have a 80GB Mac mini attached to my HD projector and stream music, etc. via my apple network now... Can anyone tell me what advantage(s) the APPLE TV has over this set-up?

Thanks

Well believe it or not the graphics card is better.
The :apple: TV has 802.11n making it easier and faster to stream from a different computer
It has an HDMI output
A better GUI designed for media only ( better than front row ).
It's cheaper.
:)

marktesssing
Mar 20, 2007, 08:47 PM
I remember that in the specifications they used to say that the USB was only for maintenance... Not anymore... Hopefully they already added funcionality like external storage ¡¡¡¡

it use to say that as late as this afternoon.

berkleeboy210
Mar 20, 2007, 08:57 PM
So does mine, but did you follow through to FedEx tracking? I see "Package received after FedEx cutoff," which isn't giving me a warm fuzzy of seeing it this week.

Grrr....

B

I've had iPods that I've ordered in the past ship directly from China and be here overnight to Massachusetts. So even though it says that package was received after the cut off FedEx usually still get's it where it needs to be in time.

izzle22
Mar 20, 2007, 09:00 PM
it use to say that as late as this afternoon.

It still says the USB is for service on the store site. As of tonight.

Ports/Interfaces
• HDMI (video and audio)
• Component video
• TOSLINK optical audio
• Analog RCA stereo audio
• 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet
• USB 2.0 (for service and diagnostics)
• 802.11n wireless networking* (compatible with 802.11a/b/g)
• Built-in IR receiver (works with included Apple Remote)

artmonster
Mar 20, 2007, 09:33 PM
It still says the USB is for service on the store site. As of tonight.

I just checked the tech Specs page on the US site, and it just says "USB 2.0." No mention of Servicing.

izzle22
Mar 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
I just checked the tech Specs page on the US site, and it just says "USB 2.0." No mention of Servicing.

Look on the store site not the hardware site. It's never said anything about usb service on the hardware page only the store site under "WHAT YOU NEED". Trust me I just looked on the US store site. Thats where I copied and pasted from.

talkingmonkey
Mar 20, 2007, 10:05 PM

There is, it's free and it's called mediafork... http://handbrake.m0k.org/

APPLENEWBIE
Mar 20, 2007, 10:53 PM
Man, apple is good! These guys can really hold a secret. I am amazed that even with the product being shipped, the apple website STILL does not have any technical/user manual information.

vkxonline
Mar 20, 2007, 11:15 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here . . . if this device really had ANY hidden functionality - usb connection for a portable harddrive, game features, surround sound . . . what's the strategy in keeping it a secret? Why wouldn't they flaunt this?

Peace
Mar 20, 2007, 11:24 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here . . . if this device really had ANY hidden functionality - usb connection for a portable harddrive, game features, surround sound . . . what's the strategy in keeping it a secret? Why wouldn't they flaunt this?

Perhaps a yet-to-be-announced product connects to it.

vkxonline
Mar 20, 2007, 11:34 PM
Apple presents:

iGiveyourappletvsurroundsoundcapibility

garzaroger
Mar 20, 2007, 11:36 PM
Perhaps a yet-to-be-announced product connects to it.
I guess apple has to leave the door open for more functionality in next releases and maybe third party accessories. Hopefully this all comes with apple support not just hacked versions of it.

Still waiting for the "One more thing " on this to place an order...

EddyinJP
Mar 21, 2007, 09:24 AM
I live in Japan and I might be one of the first to get the Apple TV. As the devices are being shipped from China, according to the shipping company mine has already arrived at Narita Airport in Tokyo and gone through Customs. I'll probably be receiving it tomorrow (22nd)...

macd00d
Mar 21, 2007, 09:39 AM
Checked with Norfolk, VA Apple store this AM and no :apple: TV as of yet. He seemed to think they would be in real soon, but assured me that they had none hidden away in the back. Guess the stores are going to get them along with those that pre-ordered.