Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
My USB HD is on the blink and I"m looking for a hopefully free software solution to at least allow me to copy files off of it... I'm open to any suggestions.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
My USB HD is on the blink and I"m looking for a hopefully free software solution to at least allow me to copy files off of it... I'm open to any suggestions.

Free? Go to your local mac software store, walk out with a copy of diskwarrior under your raincoat.

Is it your drive, or the enclosure? pop another drive in it, see if it works, or pop that drive in another enclosure and try it.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
GRC's SpinRite has been touted over and over again as the best hard drive recovery software available. I've seen it do absolutely amazing things, although I've never used it myself. I'm not sure how it handles USB drives though...and it's not free, but it's worth it if the drive is important to you.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It's pretty important, but I just can't afford to shell out US$100 for DiskWarrior, although from what I've seen, it looks like the best option. It's just an external USB hard drive, that is, it's not an enclosure.

Thanks for your help.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It's pretty important, but I just can't afford to shell out US$100 for DiskWarrior, although from what I've seen, it looks like the best option. It's just an external USB hard drive, that is, it's not an enclosure.

Thanks for your help.

What do you mean a USB hard drive not an enclosure?

A USB hard drive generally consists of a 2.5" or 3.5" IDE hard drive in an enclosure with a USB bridge board. Most enclosures, even if they were purchased as a 'complete' unit, can be opened and thr drive taken out (will void some warranties, note)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.