PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV: Will my Logitech Universal remote work with it?

spaceballl
Mar 22, 2007, 02:55 PM
I'd really like to still only have one remote for my entire system...

xli_ne
Mar 22, 2007, 03:20 PM
I highly doubt it

spaceballl
Mar 22, 2007, 04:08 PM
I highly doubt it
Why do you doubt it? It's just an IR remote and IR codes can be learned quite easily...

TheAnswer
Mar 22, 2007, 04:12 PM
It's technically possible. If I remember correctly, the :apple:tv remote is similar if not the same as the remotes that ship currently with the iMacs, etc. I'd check the Logitech website to see if they've coded that remote, if so...there's a pretty good chance they will code the :apple:tv remote. I'm guessing the Logitech site is your best chance to find out. Post back here if you find out anything, your findings could help someone else.

spaceballl
Mar 22, 2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah. They've gotta know that this will cause some demand for harmony users. I'm gonna buy my Apple TV in 3 weeks when I'm done w/ business travel. Hopefully by then it'll be on the site.

gordonjones
Mar 22, 2007, 08:14 PM
i just set up a harmony 550 with my appleTV - works great. only thing i'm havving issue with is the power off/on/toggle command, but i'm sure i'll figure it out with a few revisions.

spaceballl
Mar 22, 2007, 08:19 PM
Thank you, sir! That's all I needed to hear. I don't think I need to worry about the on/off toggle as I'll just leave it on. I do need to buy an hdmi switcher from monoprice though...
Kevin

i just set up a harmony 550 with my appleTV - works great. only thing i'm havving issue with is the power off/on/toggle command, but i'm sure i'll figure it out with a few revisions.

BWhaler
Mar 23, 2007, 01:23 PM
I highly doubt it

I don't know what is worse about your reply: how painfully wrong you are, or the childish tone. :rolleyes:

Anyway, YES, you can use your logitech learning remotes for it.

gordonjones
Mar 23, 2007, 01:54 PM
after 1/2 a day controlling the appletv with my harmony 550 i'm pretty happy. the appletv seems to go to sleep when not in use, so i guess an off/on command really isn't a big deal afterall. i may still explore this but certianly not a worry.

i converted a couple ripped dvd's to mpeg4 via handbrake and added them to my imac itunes. they synced with the appletv nicely, though really, i can stream them direct from the imac with no problems (i'm using ethernet). that will probably be my usual method as i can store alot more movies on my imac (and it's external drives) than i can on the 40gb appletv hard drive.

i guess my biggest complaint is that you can't stream photos, they have to reside on the appletv (via sync).

also, itunes needs to start selling some hd content, i'm not going to buy much if it's all sd.

TheAnswer
Mar 23, 2007, 01:58 PM
For everyone working on using the remote to turn the :apple:tv off/put it on standby, have you tried holding down the play button (like you would on the :apple:tv remote or on an iPod)?...does this not work?

mrowl
Mar 23, 2007, 02:42 PM
For everyone working on using the remote to turn the :apple:tv off/put it on standby, have you tried holding down the play button (like you would on the :apple:tv remote or on an iPod)?...does this not work?

I will try it when I setup my harmony remote tonight.

gordonjones
Mar 23, 2007, 03:41 PM
well, what-ya-know. holding the play button on the harmony does put the appletv to sleep/off (can't tell which).

joserpaq
Mar 23, 2007, 05:45 PM
I'm using an MX-500 and it works perfect directly with the ATV but when I try to use a IR repeater it doesn't work perfect I really need to get close to the target for it to work.

pizenson
Mar 24, 2007, 02:20 PM
I've gotten my Harmony 880 to do the basics, but I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to get the up/down buttons to scroll properly. Right now there is about a 500 ms delay between each song/artist/etc. I've tried updating the remote to make the delay 0, but that doesn't seem to work. Has anybody found a resolution to this?

MobyIck
Mar 24, 2007, 05:46 PM
check out my how to above....

brian-ky
Mar 24, 2007, 06:39 PM
I would try relearning the up/down commands if you're having trouble w/ the aTV responding slowly.

My Harmony remote is working excellent with aTV.

I set-up mine so the left arrow on 5-way navigation is set to be "menu". That way it acts more natural for menu-navigation .... like my Tivo.

ctakim
Mar 25, 2007, 02:06 PM
My Harmony 880 works and scrolls like a charm. Check out Moby's thread for the how to. I figured it out on my own, but basically did everything he recommends.

defsquad
Jul 9, 2007, 07:29 PM
well, what-ya-know. holding the play button on the harmony does put the appletv to sleep/off (can't tell which).

gordon how did you pair your harmony 550 with the appletv? mine simply will not pair. i could really use your help since we use the same harmony model remote.

thanks much.

Mac In School
Jul 9, 2007, 08:46 PM
I don't use a Harmony, but they are learning remotes, aren't they? So if you can find codes that work the way you want them to, can't you have the AppleTV remote directly "train" the Harmony?

I got a Harmony remote for Xmas one year, but sold it on eBay the following week. I already had a Home Theater Master.

defsquad
Jul 9, 2007, 08:48 PM
well, i've got it setup in the logitech software following the thread stickied at the top of this forum; the problem is getting the appletv to recognize the harmony 550 remote and vice versa.

Counterfit
Jul 10, 2007, 09:02 PM
I don't know what is worse about your reply: how painfully wrong you are, or the childish tone. :rolleyes:

I don't think I've ever heard a child use that phrase. Also, no need to be so confrontational.

arcsbite
Jul 10, 2007, 09:12 PM
My harmony 525 works perfectly with the :apple:TV including on/off.
I was even recognised as a device first time when I added it

DaveTheK
Mar 15, 2008, 01:54 PM
New poster. I have a Harmony 880 and found AppleTV under the terribly-named "Media Center PC" devices.

If you can get over having to look under anything labelled "PC" it seems to work well...

mallbritton
Mar 15, 2008, 02:07 PM
I'd really like to still only have one remote for my entire system...

Right at the tippy-top of this forum:
How to pair AppleTV and Harmony Remote (http://guides.macrumors.com/Pairing_AppleTV_and_Harmony_Remote)

Regards,
Michael

mallbritton
Mar 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
I highly doubt it

Wow. You are so wrong you make grown men cry.

Regards,
Michael

cc2096
Mar 16, 2008, 02:57 PM
Using the Apple TV with my 880 as we speak.

toddngina
Mar 16, 2008, 03:05 PM
Wow. You are so wrong you make grown men cry.

Regards,
Michael

And you're responding to a post from a year ago.

mallbritton
Mar 16, 2008, 03:20 PM
Well... so it is. Heh.

Regards,
Michael

DaveTheK
Mar 16, 2008, 10:37 PM
Right at the tippy-top of this forum:
How to pair AppleTV and Harmony Remote (http://guides.macrumors.com/Pairing_AppleTV_and_Harmony_Remote)

Regards,
Michael

yes, I saw this, and that is what I want to correct. When I bought my 880 recently, Apple TV shows up as a device in the Logictech devices menu (under manufacturer: Apple) so there is no longer a need to do the fancy stuff referred to in the guide.

At least, I didn't do that, I just selected the device in the Logictech software and it controls my Apple TV perfectly.

What I wrote jokingly was that it is a bit weird to have the logitech software refer to the Apple TV as a "PC Media Player"...

BigTechDaddy
May 13, 2008, 11:18 PM
What I wrote jokingly was that it is a bit weird to have the logitech software refer to the Apple TV as a "PC Media Player"...

Technically, the Apple TV is just that - A Personal Computer Media Player - I know, I know the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials perpetuate that my that a PC is only an IBM Compatible PC - but technically a personal computer is a personal computer regardless of the OS or hardware. :)

B

tscholle
May 14, 2008, 12:38 AM
Hi I have an AppleTV and a Harmony 880 and after a few config attempts they work together, but sometimes the AppleTV does turn on when it should not. I still am not sure why, but it is less than 3 times per week so I got over it.

hope that helps!
Tom

elo
May 18, 2008, 11:59 AM

roker814
May 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
I have an Apple TV and am planning to get the Logitech - Xbox 360 Harmony Remote which looks exactly like the 550 does anyone know if it will work if it will work with the Apple TV?

BigTechDaddy
May 22, 2008, 11:07 PM
I have an Apple TV and am planning to get the Logitech - Xbox 360 Harmony Remote which looks exactly like the 550 does anyone know if it will work if it will work with the Apple TV?

Yes, I just let the 360 remote "Learn" from the apple tv remote.

downingp
May 25, 2008, 10:47 AM
Using my Harmony One remote everything used to work perfectly; the remote would even turn off/standby the AppleTV. It seems just recently there was an update when I hooked up the Harmony One remote to the software on the iMac. Ever since the update, the Harmony One won't put the AppleTV in standby mode. Anyone else having this problem since the "update"?

macmandingo
May 27, 2008, 11:10 PM
Using my Harmony One remote everything used to work perfectly; the remote would even turn off/standby the AppleTV. It seems just recently there was an update when I hooked up the Harmony One remote to the software on the iMac. Ever since the update, the Harmony One won't put the AppleTV in standby mode. Anyone else having this problem since the "update"?

YES! I updated my remote (I think I have the 550 or something more basic, I forget) and since then my Apple TV is not going into standby when I shut down my system. Previously, the one button Off process worked flawlessly. Now I have to monkey around with it. Something happened with the Harmony update.

downingp
Jun 15, 2008, 12:55 PM
YES! I updated my remote (I think I have the 550 or something more basic, I forget) and since then my Apple TV is not going into standby when I shut down my system. Previously, the one button Off process worked flawlessly. Now I have to monkey around with it. Something happened with the Harmony update.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

VideoFreek
Jun 19, 2008, 04:26 PM
Has anyone come up with a solution to this?Had the same problem when I applied the latest update to my Harmony One. I solved it (I think--so far it works) by deleting the "Apple TV" device, re-adding it, and then rebuilding the "Watch Apple TV" activity.

Hmm
Jun 28, 2008, 07:31 AM
Had the same problem when I applied the latest update to my Harmony One. I solved it (I think--so far it works) by deleting the "Apple TV" device, re-adding it, and then rebuilding the "Watch Apple TV" activity.

Thanks! I think this is why it works when you delete and re-add the device.

When you go into Settings > Adust power settings on the original Apple TV device, and get to the "Which command will power off your device" screen, it looks like this:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5951/oldatvfa5.png

But when you re-add the device, it looks like this:

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/2678/newatvzc1.png

I'm guessing that the duration somehow got removed from the original device settings when we recently resynced, but is available when you add the device again.

downingp
Jun 28, 2008, 03:41 PM

When you go into Settings > Adust power settings on the original Apple TV device, and get to the "Which command will power off your device" screen, it looks like this:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5951/oldatvfa5.png

But when you re-add the device, it looks like this:

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/2678/newatvzc1.png

I'm guessing that the duration somehow got removed from the original device settings when we recently resynced, but is available when you add the device again.

How were you able to get the option for the milliseconds to show up? I erased both the activity and the device and reinstalled, but when I choose the play button the milliseconds doesn't show up.

Thanks.

Hmm
Jun 30, 2008, 01:27 PM
How were you able to get the option for the milliseconds to show up? I erased both the activity and the device and reinstalled, but when I choose the play button the milliseconds doesn't show up.

When you say "reinstalled" do you mean you re-added the device? That's all I did - add the device again as a Media Center PC and the model was "Apple TV". When I went into the device and chose Adjust Power Settings, and then the "Which command will power off your device" screen, the play radio button was already selected and the Duration in milliseconds was already there.

downingp
Jun 30, 2008, 01:49 PM
When you say "reinstalled" do you mean you re-added the device? That's all I did - add the device again as a Media Center PC and the model was "Apple TV". When I went into the device and chose Adjust Power Settings, and then the "Which command will power off your device" screen, the play radio button was already selected and the Duration in milliseconds was already there.

Where is the adjust power settings option at?

theBB
Jun 30, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hi I have an AppleTV and a Harmony 880 and after a few config attempts they work together, but sometimes the AppleTV does turn on when it should not. I still am not sure why, but it is less than 3 times per week so I got over it.
That is probably not due to your remote. Even before I got an inexpensive universal remote, my AppleTV would turn itself on every now and then. I don't know whether it was random or somehow triggered by one of our other remotes.

Hmm
Jul 2, 2008, 07:59 AM
Where is the adjust power settings option at?

It should be on the screen right after you click the "Settings" button for your device:

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/1667/picture2rg4.png

VideoFreek
Jul 2, 2008, 02:57 PM

I'm guessing that the duration somehow got removed from the original device settings when we recently resynced, but is available when you add the device again.Correct. The reason this happens is that the Apple TV preset in Logitech's database employs non-standard programming. AFAIK, a 3.5 sec IR blast is not possible using the programming tools available to users on the web interface, but Logitech manages it. I've run into this before, which is how I knew that deleting and re-adding the device would work.

This brings up an important point about Logitech--they themselves have FAR more powerful programming capabilities than what they make available to end users. A good example--I have a Hitachi plasma TV that has a weird remote layout...it has discrete buttons for 5 analog video inputs (composite, component, SCART, etc.), but it has a toggle for the 2 HDMI inputs, and there are no discrete codes. Try handling THAT via generic programming--it's impossible! And yet, the device profile for this particular Hitachi model in Logitech's database handles this TV perfectly--it deals with the discrete inputs AND is able to remember the "state" of the HDMI toggle. The point is--if you have a device that's not supported...complain to them! Logitech/ Harmony have been extremely responsive in the past, and chances are they'll find a way to handle your device.