PDA

View Full Version : Need help with G4 Cube 500Mhz

dwl017
Mar 24, 2007, 09:06 PM
Good evening everyone,

I picked up a 500Mhz G4 Cube today and have spent the last four hours trying to make it boot :mad: I only paid $100 for it with everything plus a cinema display so I'm not upset about losing a ton of money but this sucker just wont boot.

I get a Apple boot screen with a grey apple that turns into a round circle with a line through it. Will not boot through OS CD by holding down the C key and any of the other million remedies you find online.

I hate to take in for service because I know they will want more the the $100 I paid for it.

Multimedia
Mar 24, 2007, 09:25 PM
Good evening everyone,

I picked up a 500Mhz G4 Cube today and have spent the last four hours trying to make it boot :mad: I only paid $100 for it with everything plus a cinema display so I'm not upset about losing a ton of money but this sucker just wont boot.

I get a Apple boot screen with a grey apple that turns into a round circle with a line through it. Will not boot through OS CD by holding down the C key and any of the other million remedies you find online.

I hate to take in for service because I know they will want more the the $100 I paid for it.What OS version CD? Do you have any other OS X versions you can try? Tiger will install and run on Cube 500. How much RAM is in there? It will take 3 x 512MB Mods and should be loaded with all that for optimum performance.

dwl017
Mar 24, 2007, 09:40 PM
What OS version CD? Do you have any other OS X versions you can try? Tiger will install and run on Cube 500. How much RAM is in there? It will take 3 x 512MB Mods and should be loaded with all that for optimum performance.

I have Tiger on a retail DVD but since the Cube is CD RW combo it wont work. I also have an old PowerMac G4 DP 867Mhz 2002 Jaguar CD I tried no go. I have a homemade copy version of Panther which is on CD no go with it also. So far as ram goes there is at least 512 in the Cube. I just cant see taking an old Cube in for service seems like a watse of money any thoughts ?

Thanks

Multimedia
Mar 24, 2007, 09:44 PM
Try your Tiger DVD. The 500 is a DVD Combo optical not CD±RW.

Erasmus
Mar 24, 2007, 09:58 PM
Try your Tiger DVD. The 500 is a DVD Combo optical not CD±RW.

Agree. Note my 450 has a CD/DVD reader, which came stock, so the 500 will DEFINITELY have a DVD reader, unless something funny's going on.

Most likely the computer just doesn't work. Try replacing the battery maybe? It could be flat. I "think" mine's been replaced.

Multimedia
Mar 24, 2007, 10:04 PM
OR Pull the HD and Install Tiger from your PM. Then put it back in and see if it'll boot then.
OR It could be bad RAM.

FJ218700
Mar 31, 2007, 08:26 PM
I had the exact same problem on an old 500 Mhz Ti PowerBook that I picked up cheap, it was bad RAM

Chimpy
Apr 1, 2007, 07:01 AM
I just bought and set up a 450Mhz cube. Like others have said, you must have a DVD reader, as my 450 has one.

Did you try holding down the option key as you booted? Regardless of the state of your boot devices, doing that should boot to a graphical screen (as opposed to a terminal-like text only screen). That screen will show you all available boot devices.

If that screen won't show up, then I would begin to suspect RAM or the motherboard.