PDA

View Full Version : going to be selling a G4 DP1ghz, wondering about price point

scramble565
Mar 24, 2007, 10:31 PM
I'm gearing up to sell my trusty ol' G4 tower, and was wondering what you guys thought as to price points. Looking around on craigslist and ebay i've got a hazy idea of what to go for, but have yet to see anything truly comparable. Older stuff seems to be going for a fair bit, and newer stuff tends not to have aftermarket upgrades like additional HDDs, better graphics cards, other PCI doodads.

the system is as follows:
quicksilver G4 dual 1ghz
superdrive, internal zip 250
80gb and 160gb internal hard drives
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb
USB 2.0 5-port PCI card (4 outside, one inside)
1.5gb RAM (maxed-out)

I also run dual monitors with two CRTs that i'd basically throw in for free (19" was attacked by a cat, 15" is just not worth much). It was used as a 3D/video editing workstation.

Any thoughts?

FF_productions
Mar 24, 2007, 10:35 PM
400-500?

I don't know, with these Intel chips, the pricing of PPC Macs are all messed up.

localoid
Mar 24, 2007, 10:59 PM
You could try using the G4 value guide (http://www.the-ish.com/g4value/) to get an idea of the value for most Apple G4 towers; prices supposedly based on actual ebay selling prices....

spinne1
Mar 24, 2007, 11:37 PM
Your machine is worth what someone is willing to pay you. On ebay I have seen strange things. I've recently seen G5 dual 1.8 towers going for $700-$800 (sometimes), while some G5 dual 2.5 or 2.7s are still fetching $2500 (but I can't imagine why if you get an Intel for the same price). The prices for G4 machines are dropping rapidly. My G4/533 single processor cost me $232 on ebay less than two years ago, while today I've seen G4 dual 800s get no bids with a starting price of $299.

Therefore, I think your machine is probably worth between $300-$400, but you could very easily get more for it if the right people are bidding. I'd just sell it on ebay and be done with it. I also HIGHLY recommend you set the start price at $1 and do not use a reserve. TRUST ME, it works. You will get a higher end price than if you set a high starting bid and a fairly high reserve. Both things drive away bidders. I've sold enough to know.

The G4 value site linked above gives me a value of $580 for your machine. But if I had $580 and was shopping for a Mac and knew I couldn't stretch the budget much more, then I'd get a G5 dual 1.8 for a little more money as it is a much faster machine. Wouldn't you? That said, I have no doubt that you could possibly get close to this amount on ebay.

Zwhaler
Mar 25, 2007, 01:08 AM
Here's a tip: sell it before new Mac Pros come out because if you wait too long, it gets older and older (compared to what's available) so I would sell it as quick as you can. I guess that goes for all technology.

scramble565
Mar 25, 2007, 02:15 AM
yeah, selling it quickly certainly seems to be a good idea. whatever it goes for will be going towards a new MBP, and i am most certainly looking forward to that.

roughly $500 seems like a good price; maybe i'll start it a little higher, see what happens. i plan to list it locally this coming week, and if i find hard luck there i'll go for ebay and the like.

thanks, all!

skacoreimplore
Mar 25, 2007, 05:48 PM
yeah, selling it quickly certainly seems to be a good idea. whatever it goes for will be going towards a new MBP, and i am most certainly looking forward to that.

roughly $500 seems like a good price; maybe i'll start it a little higher, see what happens. i plan to list it locally this coming week, and if i find hard luck there i'll go for ebay and the like.

thanks, all!

i would list it for like $750 OBO i got 775 for a DP 1.25 MDD with 1 gig ram/80 gig HD/ ati 9000/ combo drive 2 weeks ago