PDA

View Full Version : HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray

giganten
Mar 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
Hardocp have an article about the fight between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

The high definition world is split between two camps: HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc. Which of these offers the better viewing experience and has the ability to deliver HD to your home theatre both now and in the future?

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMxNSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

skinnylegs
Mar 29, 2007, 11:52 AM
Interesting article. I chose HD-DVD 'cause I already had an Xbox 360. I've been really happy with HD-DVD and Netflix has tons of titles available.

Brize
Mar 29, 2007, 12:16 PM
I favour HD DVD, but it looks like Blu-ray is gaining the upper hand.

By the way, there's no hyphen in 'HD DVD'.

pianoman
Mar 29, 2007, 12:19 PM
i see a lot more Blu-ray DVDs than HD DVDs. for instance, most of the commercials i've seen for movies say "buy it on DVD or Blu-ray disc this Tuesday" whereas i can't recall ever hearing "buy it on HD DVD this Tuesday". i think Blu-ray might be winning this war.

giganten
Mar 29, 2007, 02:29 PM
I favour HD DVD, but it looks like Blu-ray is gaining the upper hand.

By the way, there's no hyphen in 'HD DVD'.

I favour HD DVD too. And sorry for the hyphen ;)

killmoms
Mar 29, 2007, 02:38 PM
I don't really care one way or the other. I already have an HD-DVD drive for my 360, but I will have a Blu-ray player once I get a PS3. There are movies that are exclusive to each format that I want, so eventually I'll need both. There really isn't any good reason to "pick a side," especially with the first combo players coming out.

wrldwzrd89
Mar 29, 2007, 02:40 PM
Interesting. I prefer Blu-ray myself, for the simple reason that more storage = more applications for computer use. I don't really give a hoot about HD movies, since I don't watch movies very much anyway :p

If you asked me which codec I support, though, I like H.264 the best - it's a standard, like MPEG-2, but it compresses better. VC-1's from Microsoft, so it gets a "blah" rating from me :p

bigandy
Mar 29, 2007, 02:47 PM
According to Nielsen, Blu-ray movie sales have taken 60 percent of the high-def market since the first week of January 2007;, and for the week ending February 18 Blu-ray sales accounted for 65 percent of the market, with HD DVD garnering 35 percent of sales.

Earlier figures from VideoScan showed HD DVD sales ahead of Blu-ray in late 2006; however, beginning the week of December 24, 2006, Blu-ray pulled ahead with 53.3 percent of the market, and has been steadily increasing its lead. Since the week of January 7, 2007, Blu-ray sales have ranged from 63.3 percent of the market to as high as 69.6 percent of weekly high-def movie sales.

http://news.digitaltrends.com/article12412.html

:D

definately a BR fan here. HD DVD doesn't quite cut it for me, personally.

nateDEEZY
Mar 29, 2007, 02:49 PM
I think things like dual format players will only add to the confusion to the average consumers. I really don't like this disc war, but I'm in favor of the Blu-Ray. I'd really like to see The Matrix/Matrix Trilogy released on both formats at the same time, it would be interesting to see the sales figure. Sadly though The Matrix is going to be released on HD DVD well before Blu-Ray, but hey it'll make for some interesting talk.
Go Blu-Ray ;)

pianoman
Mar 29, 2007, 04:23 PM
I think things like dual format players will only add to the confusion to the average consumers. I really don't like this disc war, but I'm in favor of the Blu-Ray. I'd really like to see The Matrix/Matrix Trilogy released on both formats at the same time, it would be interesting to see the sales figure. Sadly though The Matrix is going to be released on HD DVD well before Blu-Ray, but hey it'll make for some interesting talk.
Go Blu-Ray ;)

why do you like Blu-ray more than HD DVD?

killmoms
Mar 29, 2007, 04:24 PM
I think things like dual format players will only add to the confusion to the average consumers.

How can something that can play both in one machine be confusing? Put disc in, no matter what it is (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, HD DVD) and it'll work. The average consumer hasn't had trouble with the idea of "put in, play" in years. :rolleyes:

dartzorichalcos
Mar 29, 2007, 04:26 PM
Blue-ray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ray_disc) will win. Hopefully it will be standard in 3 years.

cycocelica
Mar 29, 2007, 04:28 PM
I dont care for either. Way over-priced and not really needed right now.

When I go to Target, they are always sold out of HD DVDs and they always have a ton of Blu Rays. And I know they are sold out because I have a friend who works there telling me they sell more HD DVDs than Blu Ray.

iJon
Mar 29, 2007, 04:29 PM
I would go with Blu-Ray simply cause it will become the standard in the years to come. Also, I am assuming you won't be able to get a Sony movie in HD-DVD.

jon

pianoman
Mar 29, 2007, 06:11 PM
Blue-ray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ray_disc) will win. Hopefully it will be standard in 3 years.

A Blu-ray Disc (also called BD) is a high-density optical disc format for the storage of digital media, including high-definition video.

who calls it BD? :rolleyes:

wrldwzrd89
Mar 29, 2007, 06:23 PM
who calls it BD? :rolleyes:
BD as in "BD-ROM", "BD-R", "BD-RW", etc. :p

pianoman
Mar 29, 2007, 06:53 PM
BD as in "BD-ROM", "BD-R", "BD-RW", etc. :p

cute.

furcalchick
Mar 29, 2007, 07:49 PM
plus, i think blu-ray will be much better for packing seasons of tv shows and anime and the such, as it can hold a bunch more than your hd dvd. plus, hd dvd sounds confusing and like an extension of old tech, while blu-ray is new tech.

don't care too much for movies, waiting for more storage and entire series on one disc. no more swapping cds after a group of episodes. just pop one in and that's your whole season/series.

Transic
Mar 29, 2007, 10:46 PM

G5Unit
Mar 29, 2007, 10:52 PM
But why not just get HD DVD? It's cheaper, actually has more space now(51gb triple layer) and has some kiler movies coming out on it.

I think putting dozens of GB of data on a disc is risky. I'd rather go with flash based storage.

aspro
Mar 29, 2007, 11:17 PM
I must say going purely by the names I hope HD-DVD wins. Blu-Ray is a truly terrible name IMO.

SkyBell
Mar 30, 2007, 12:58 AM
I must say going purely by the names I hope HD-DVD wins. Blu-Ray is a truly terrible name IMO.
:confused: HD DVD is a better name then Blu-Ray?:confused:
Heh, here's a little something for you all. (http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/archive/episode.php?id=242)
"HD DVD is going to be replaced by HHD DWDD BVD"

But seriously, I'm in favor of Blu-Ray

ZorPrime
Mar 30, 2007, 03:32 AM
But why not just get HD DVD? It's cheaper, actually has more space now(51gb triple layer) and has some kiler movies coming out on it.

I think putting dozens of GB of data on a disc is risky. I'd rather go with flash based storage.

A quad layer BD has 100GB and 50GB BD dual layer discs are here now, ready for use, viewing, and are recordable. HD DVD tripple layer 51GB (1 GB more than dual layer BD) for read only no recording or RW, three layers to beat a dual layer by 1GB and it hasn't been accepted as a part of the HD DVD standard (yet), so it won't work with the current HD DVD set-top box specification. Things could have changed though.

The biggest feature I like about BD is its scratch resistance, as I tend to drop discs on concrete. :o Clean the thing with steel whool and see what happens(check out YouTube), can't do that with an HDDVD. Then there's BD-J... Dragon Lair (http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/News/11653.html) anyone? Blu-Ray also has higher AC-3 audio bit rates, i.e. better surround sound capability but the most compelling reason why i hope Blu-Ray wins is.... Microsoft. As a Mac Zealot, it'll be cold day in Hell before I let Bill or Balmer into my livingroom.

Also, the movie industry is real keen on protecting their intellectual property. AACS, the only encrytion scheme available for HDDVD has been cracked; BDs have BD+, in addition to AACS, which hasn't been and even if it were, BD+ is dynamic and can be changed... studios like this security advantage/option Blu-Ray has over HDDVD.

Movie Titles: Blu-Ray has more titles coming out for release from every major studio and independents, except for Universal.

my 2¢

G5Unit
Mar 30, 2007, 06:28 PM
A quad layer BD has 100GB and 50GB BD dual layer discs are here now, ready for use, viewing, and are recordable. HD DVD tripple layer 51GB (1 GB more than dual layer BD) for read only no recording or RW, three layers to beat a dual layer by 1GB and it hasn't been accepted as a part of the HD DVD standard (yet), so it won't work with the current HD DVD set-top box specification. Things could have changed though.

The biggest feature I like about BD is its scratch resistance, as I tend to drop discs on concrete. :o Clean the thing with steel whool and see what happens(check out YouTube), can't do that with an HDDVD. Then there's BD-J... Dragon Lair (http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/News/11653.html) anyone? Blu-Ray also has higher AC-3 audio bit rates, i.e. better surround sound capability but the most compelling reason why i hope Blu-Ray wins is.... Microsoft. As a Mac Zealot, it'll be cold day in Hell before I let Bill or Balmer into my livingroom.

Also, the movie industry is real keen on protecting their intellectual property. AACS, the only encrytion scheme available for HDDVD has been cracked; BDs have BD+, in addition to AACS, which hasn't been and even if it were, BD+ is dynamic and can be changed... studios like this security advantage/option Blu-Ray has over HDDVD.

Movie Titles: Blu-Ray has more titles coming out for release from every major studio and independents, except for Universal.

my 2

Yes but for Blu-ray players, being able to decode that high quality audio is not required, unlike HD DVD. And HDi has shown much more potential then BD-J.

dartzorichalcos
Mar 30, 2007, 06:33 PM
This comparison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats) shows the true difference between Blue-ray and HD-DVD.

psychofreak
Mar 30, 2007, 06:35 PM

I bought you a DVD / Do you want to rent a DVD? flow off my tongue, but I bought you a Blu-Ray / Do you want to rent a BD? just sounds wrong...its bad with HD DVD but not as bad...

JohnMC
Mar 30, 2007, 07:06 PM
As a video producer, I would really like Blu-Ray to win this war. It is a superior technology that will be useful for backups (100GB on one disc) as well as HD video. The other thing to remember is that the new version of Encore CS3 will support burning Blu-Ray discs and I would assume that the new version of DVDSP will as well. When the ability to author Blu-Ray discs is availible the the average video guru and professional alike then you have to at least help this will become the standard.

JohnMC

G5Unit
Mar 30, 2007, 07:12 PM
This comparison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats) shows the true difference between Blue-ray and HD-DVD.

Blu-ray is better on paper, but so is a PC, and macs still run better.:p

JohnMC
Mar 30, 2007, 07:15 PM
Blu-ray is better on paper, but so is a PC, and macs still run better.:p

Can't resist: HD DVD is backed by Microcrap ... soft... sry. Has anything other than Windoze succeeded if Microsoft had a hand in it?

JohnMC

G5Unit
Mar 30, 2007, 07:29 PM
Can't resist: HD DVD is backed by Microcrap ... soft... sry. Has anything other than Windoze succeeded if Microsoft had a hand in it?

JohnMC

Has anything ever succeeded with Sony behind it?

grapes911
Mar 30, 2007, 07:54 PM
Has anything ever succeeded with Sony behind it?

PS1, PS2, Walkman, Discman, CD, DVD, 3.5 inch floppy disk, . . . the list goes on and on.

ZorPrime
Mar 30, 2007, 09:40 PM
Yes but for Blu-ray players, being able to decode that high quality audio is not required, unlike HD DVD. And HDi has shown much more potential then BD-J.

Good points on the audio. Codecs like E-AC-3 are required, according to the HD DVD spec, but the reality is that even HD DVD players currently on the market do not meet the HD DVD spec, as codecs like Dolby TruHD require HDMI 1.3 or its equivalent type of interface. Many Blu-Ray features are "open" and haven't been written in stone yet, but having large data bit-rates is more times than not a bad thing.

HDi does many things BD-J does, and vice versa, but there's one thing i think will serve to BD-J's advantage... open source. Developers won't have to pay propriety type royalties to Sony, JVC, or Sun to use the technology. HDi is proprietary betroven to Toshiba and Microsoft.

zap2
Mar 30, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'm think about picking up an HDDVD player...Amazon has one for 290, and once my HDTV is fix I'll be able to use it!

Not to mention buy a Toshiba HD DVD player before July 07 and get 5 free HD DVDs

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/_pdf/perfectoffer_advert.pdf

esco
Apr 1, 2007, 12:38 PM
I really wanted HD DVD to win, but Blu-ray just looks better on my setup. I don't know if it's because I calibrated my TV incorrectly, but I used DVE and it looks amazing with my PS3 but..."meh" with my X360

bigandy
Apr 1, 2007, 06:26 PM

...despite the fact that HD DVD doesn't have as many movies (by far) available, Blu-Ray has more space (200Gb discs), BR has a larger market share, it's far easier to get hold of consumer recording equipment (HD DVD's is non existant), in fact, one of the best advantages of BR is that you can walk in to a shop and buy a blank disc that's the same capacity as the ones the studios use, and you can burn it yourself. BR was designed from the start with consumer recording in mind, HD DVD has it as an afterthought. and it shows - HD DVD recordable discs aren't of great capacity.

:rolleyes:

zap2
Apr 1, 2007, 06:38 PM
...despite the fact that HD DVD doesn't have as many movies (by far) available, Blu-Ray has more space (200Gb discs), BR has a larger market share, it's far easier to get hold of consumer recording equipment (HD DVD's is non existant), in fact, one of the best advantages of BR is that you can walk in to a shop and buy a blank disc that's the same capacity as the ones the studios use, and you can burn it yourself. BR was designed from the start with consumer recording in mind, HD DVD has it as an afterthought. and it shows - HD DVD recordable discs aren't of great capacity.

Blue-Ray does NOT have a bigger market share....not in the USA(your in scottland, so I'm assuming it different)

I have yet to see a 200GB Blue-Ray disk in use anywhere...let alone for sale. The only BR disk I've seen for sale were 25Gbs, but then again I haven't really look.

Personal I can't find a use for a 200Gb disk(yet) movie don't take up that much space, and what would you be backing up on a 200GB disk? A harddrive or 2?

If you really want disk space get Tapestry Media...300Gbs on one disk, coming out mid 2007

Also do you have a source of total amount of titles on each format?

G5Unit
Apr 1, 2007, 06:41 PM

Because everyone want's to walk into a store right now and buy a Blu-ray recorder for about 1000 dollars.

bigandy
Apr 2, 2007, 05:25 AM
Blue-Ray does NOT have a bigger market share....not in the USA(your in scottland, so I'm assuming it different)

I have yet to see a 200GB Blue-Ray disk in use anywhere...let alone for sale. The only BR disk I've seen for sale were 25Gbs, but then again I haven't really look.

Personal I can't find a use for a 200Gb disk(yet) movie don't take up that much space, and what would you be backing up on a 200GB disk? A harddrive or 2?

If you really want disk space get Tapestry Media...300Gbs on one disk, coming out mid 2007

Also do you have a source of total amount of titles on each format?
50Gb BR Media (http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase2&prodID=B65842). 200Gb is on it's way out.

Blu Ray has more releases (http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/03/26/hd-dvd-and-blu-ray-releases-on-march-27th-2007/). HD DVD has caught up since I last saw lists, but it's still behind, slightly. But then that makes sense, doesn't it.. considering their lack studio support compared with BR.

Because everyone want's to walk into a store right now and buy a Blu-ray recorder for about 1000 dollars.
And it's quite a downer for HD DVD if you ask me, not having their recorders on the shelves. Wouldn't you agree? If you're needing a HD recorder, and can only find one format, which one are you going to buy? :rolleyes:

These format wars are all about what's available. HD DVD is slightly lagging in available titles, and you can't get recorders or large capacity media right now.

Blu Ray has slightly more titles, the support of the PS3, more studios, recorders and media available.

Plus, over here, it looks like Blu Ray. HD DVD is consistently non-existant. It's like the HD DVD camp aren't making an effort outside of the US/Japan.

Danger! Will
Apr 2, 2007, 02:13 PM
I hope HD-DVD wins...It cost less...my tv is only 1080/720p
Besides sony has such a good reputation for quality..and great innovative products such as betamax, digital audio tape, mini-disc, and atrac.

ZorPrime
Apr 2, 2007, 11:51 PM
I hope HD-DVD wins...It cost less...my tv is only 1080/720p
Besides sony has such a good reputation for quality..and great innovative products such as betamax, digital audio tape, mini-disc, and atrac.

i don't understand... :confused: you have a tv that has both 1080 and 720 pixel densities and can modulate between the two? :eek: what's the SKU/Model Number and Brand? I want one!

I've worked in broadcast for 10 years; BetaSP and BetaCam were the standards for the Pros, better video and audio quality in addition to resilience. Don't know of any TV shows filmed and broadcasted in VHS. The problem this time around between HD DVD and Blu Ray, in terms of consumer level application, is that they are pretty much the same visually. This makes it hard for the consumer to pick the "better" brand outside of content and opinion toward the companies pushing their respective formats. Unlike the differences between VHS and BetaMax... BetaMax had a better picture and sound... VHS had the content and by the time longer play tapes were available it was too late for the Beta format in consumer level home video market.

This time around, it's about content. There are at least four studios which are exclusively releasing content only for Blu-Ray and others commited to releasing in both. There is only one studio, which is exclusive to HD DVD... Universal. Content is King and as the price of Blu-Ray players drops bellow 500, which will happen this year, more people will be adopting Blu-Ray players to go with their fancy new HDTVs. I've posted this earlier, so please forgive me being a broken record, but I don't like Microsoft, what they stand for and what they did to the Apple/Mac, and therefore would rather Sony and JVC win this one.

Danger! Will
Apr 3, 2007, 12:07 AM
Guess the i makes a difference my tv is 720p/1080i or 540p depends on how you look at it...

zap2
Apr 3, 2007, 12:11 AM
50Gb BR Media (http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase2&prodID=B65842). 200Gb is on it's way out.

50Gb...like I thought...but then again I don't remeber anyone using triple layer HD-DVD, so Blue-Ray is stilll wining in size.

Also I saw blank HD DVDs for the first time today in staples...right next to the 25Gb blue-ray disk

ZorPrime
Apr 3, 2007, 12:13 AM
Guess the i makes a difference my tv is 720p/1080i or 540p depends on how you look at it...

Your tv is both Interlaced and Progressive? :eek: (just playing with ya)

giganten
Apr 3, 2007, 11:56 AM
Hmm new standard for Blu-ray..

So how many of you are excited over a nice, new, shiny Blu-ray player sitting underneath your HDTV? If you have your hand up, you may want to sit down, as this news may not be good for you. The Blu-Ray standard is already being revised, and it's likely to make many current players obsolete.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/03/blu-ray_standard_already_being_altered/

Blu-ray Disc Java is coming this fall, and it may be incompatible with some of today's machines

http://www.dailytech.com/Bluray+Disc+Specification+Change+Threatens+Current+Players/article6702.htm

Warner Bros. has released titles such as Batman Begins and V for Vendetta for HD DVD but not Blu-ray for the sole reason of the latter format’s lack of standardization. The upcoming Matrix trilogy release will also appear on HD DVD first for the same reason. Warner Bros. said that it would release Blu-ray Disc versions of such films in the fall, assumingly after the BD Java mandate takes effect.

darkwing
Apr 3, 2007, 12:01 PM
I love it when early adopters whine when things are made better. New standards mean new consumers, which mean more movies for you. You paid a premium to enjoy HDTV movies before the rest of us, so quit whining. I hope they do change the standard! Too bad they are going to use a crappy language like Java. :rolleyes: Still, if Java is good enough for cell phone games running at 4 frames per second I guess a much more powerful CPU in a BD player can handle it. :cool:

giganten
Apr 3, 2007, 12:04 PM
I love it when early adopters whine when things are made better. New standards mean new consumers, which mean more movies for you. You paid a premium to enjoy HDTV movies before the rest of us, so quit whining. I hope they do change the standard! Too bad they are going to use a crappy language like Java. :rolleyes: Still, if Java is good enough for cell phone games running at 4 frames per second I guess a much more powerful CPU in a BD player can handle it. :cool:

I don't whine. :mad:
don't even have any HDTV, I did just post the news.

zap2
Apr 3, 2007, 12:22 PM

Still is that good for Blue-Ray as a whole? Will the PS3 still be able to play Blue-Ray disk? That a huge selling point of it..or will Sony upgrade so new one can, but the old one(that people already own) won't be able to watch them. Edit- looks like because the PS3 is also a "computer" basicly, it will be fine. I should read the whole article the post!

I think its a bad idea...stick to your guns. Blue-Ray is starting to gain market share, they keep outselling HD DVD, there isn't a need to screw with it

princealfie
Apr 4, 2007, 09:07 AM
What about Apple supporting Blu-Ray? Hmm...

Santeh
Apr 4, 2007, 10:56 AM
Speaking only for myself, of course, I have to agree that content is king as I, personally, do not currently see much of a difference between HD DVD and Blue Ray (BR) images (from the little comparisons I have been exposed to). As such, there are movies that I would like to have that are, currently, only found on HD DVD and some on BR. At the moment I have gone with HD DVD simply because I own an XBOX 360, thus the associated HD DVD player was by far the cheaper route to go. Plus many of the movies for HD DVD are currently less expensive than BR, which means a lot to me. Additionally, to my untrained eye the HD DVD images, compared to DVD, look fantastic on my Sony HDTV, even over component cables.

Nevertheless, as noted there are still titles that are at the moment exclsive to BR that I would like to have. As such I will most likely wait until those movies are either available for HD DVD or when I can invest in either an "inexpensive" BR or a dual format player.

Content is currently king for me...

darkwing
Apr 4, 2007, 12:55 PM
I don't whine. :mad:
don't even have any HDTV, I did just post the news.

That wasn't for you, giganten.. it was for the poster who posted the stuff about how people will be screwed when their players can't play the Java discs. Supposedly that only effects some early Samsungs, but I've only heard this and not researched it myself.

darkwing
Apr 4, 2007, 12:58 PM
Still is that good for Blue-Ray as a whole? Will the PS3 still be able to play Blue-Ray disk? That a huge selling point of it..or will Sony upgrade so new one can, but the old one(that people already own) won't be able to watch them. Edit- looks like because the PS3 is also a "computer" basicly, it will be fine. I should read the whole article the post!

I think its a bad idea...stick to your guns. Blue-Ray is starting to gain market share, they keep outselling HD DVD, there isn't a need to screw with it

Well, there already are many movies with BD-J support. They just want to finalize the spec. So what's the problem with that? Not all players support it, but I see no reason why discs can't be made in a fashion that they still play the movie. Lucky for me my only BD player (for now) is the PS3, so that means I can not worry about thing. Since I bought the PS3 bluetooth remote, I'll probably just use it to play BD movies in the future. So far it's handled three quite nicely. It's at home folding now. :P

giganten
Apr 4, 2007, 05:19 PM
That wasn't for you, giganten.. it was for the poster who posted the stuff about how people will be screwed when their players can't play the Java discs. Supposedly that only effects some early Samsungs, but I've only heard this and not researched it myself.

Okay. :D

cayley
Apr 4, 2007, 06:05 PM
I think this format war is idiotic. But my money is on Blu-Ray.

DiscClonersPlus
Apr 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
Hi Guys,
You can listen to an interview I did with Charlie White - the editor of The Digital Media Net about HD vs. Blu-Ray here:

http://avtektalk.libsyn.com/

It is edition #3 of the podcast.

I think you might find some good insights!

princealfie
Apr 5, 2007, 02:07 PM
I think this format war is idiotic. But my money is on Blu-Ray.

How much then? $$$