PDA

View Full Version : Happy April Fools: April 1, 2007

MacRumors
Mar 31, 2007, 11:05 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Today is April 1, 2007 and represents April Fool's Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fool%27s_Day) -- so readers should be wary of hoaxes and claims at both news and rumor sites today.

Today also represents Apple's 31st Anniversary. Last year's April Fools' (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/04/01/april-1-2006;-apples-30th-anniversary-and-april-fools-2006/) was met with much of anticipation. Many were certain that Apple would celebrate their 30th anniversary with some form of announcement. No announcements were made.

Enjoy the day!

hookedonitunes
Mar 31, 2007, 11:13 PM
lol, I was trying to figure out what the Mac Rumored tab was there for...

thegoldenmackid
Mar 31, 2007, 11:15 PM
well i just have my full video screen iPod, powerbook g5 and 16 core mac pro here, all hooked up to my 60 inch Cinema display with iSight built in...o ya and i have my tablet and apple pda...not iPhone

Sun Baked
Mar 31, 2007, 11:16 PM
Cannot wait for the headline stating that John Dvorak is pregnant with his own clone.

lu0s3r322
Mar 31, 2007, 11:16 PM
no announcements were made...until now!

BiikeMike
Mar 31, 2007, 11:17 PM
Ahhh Yes, Apple April Fools Day!

SkyBell
Mar 31, 2007, 11:19 PM
Looking for an $800 laptop here....

Damn.:(

Harpo
Mar 31, 2007, 11:22 PM
I love the logo at the top: "Mac news and rumors you cared about"

BiikeMike
Mar 31, 2007, 11:24 PM
So I guess its safe to assume that MacRumors is run out of the Eastern Time Zone! This thread was started at 12:05am EST. Its not April 1st for everyone yet!

devilot
Mar 31, 2007, 11:26 PM
OMFG look at the Members List!!! :D :D :D Haha! I love it.

j/k. It shows up everywhere. :o

That must have taken so much work! You crazy mods. :D

dpaanlka
Mar 31, 2007, 11:26 PM
My font size settings are all messed up now! Is that part of the joke too?

cheunghy
Mar 31, 2007, 11:27 PM
So I guess its safe to assume that MacRumors is run out of the Eastern Time Zone! This thread was started at 12:05am EST. Its not April 1st for everyone yet!

When I am reading this article, it's already 1 April, 12:26PM in Hong Kong... ;)

BiikeMike
Mar 31, 2007, 11:27 PM

Yeah, I just noticed that as well! How come i'm "fabulous" in the threads, but "Old School" in last posts? :D

EDIT: and don't forget to check Page 3 (http://www.macrumors.com/page3/)Today!

SkyBell
Mar 31, 2007, 11:28 PM
Ok, who else (I admit it)took screenshots of thier usernames and saved them in a safe place.:D

I feel like nothing could stop me right now.

BiikeMike
Mar 31, 2007, 11:30 PM
When I am reading this article, it's already 1 April, 12:26PM in Hong Kong... ;)

Wow, its like you can see the future or somthing! Does anything interesting happen today? You can save me getting up early, I'll just sleep in!

Mgkwho
Mar 31, 2007, 11:31 PM
It's soooo weird that it's April already.

-=|Mgkwho

mduser63
Mar 31, 2007, 11:32 PM
Ok, who else took screenshots of thier usernames and saved them in a safe place.:D

Me :o. I love April Fool's Day.

Benjamin
Mar 31, 2007, 11:33 PM
It is cute but I hate not having the smaller font theme on.

SkyBell
Mar 31, 2007, 11:36 PM
It is cute but I hate not having the smaller font theme on.

Oh grow up.:rolleyes:

Zwhaler
Mar 31, 2007, 11:38 PM
Honest Zwhaler... I like it. But I would perfer something more like "Teh Pwn4g3 Zwhaler".... j/k you guys did a great job. :) Happy (tomorrow) April Fools Day... my day kicked ass by the way.

Max Payne
Mar 31, 2007, 11:41 PM
What a great surprise. Thanks MacRumors.

Happy Fools Fools Fools. :D

JNB
Mar 31, 2007, 11:41 PM
In essentially honor of April Fools' Day, I will partially promise that I shall not post any exceptionally bogus claims about things that I may or may not be hyperactively aware of at Apple.

With the singularly wonderful exception of the $799 BlackBook. Excuse me, there's an alarmingly loud pounding at the door.

*Apple Legal dragging me away*

I love you all,

Practically John

PS - GarageBand: More cowbell!!

Doctor Q
Mar 31, 2007, 11:44 PM
My font size settings are all messed up now! Is that part of the joke too?It is cute but I hate not having the smaller font theme on.Sorry for the inconvenience today.

We had three choices: Make sure everyone sees the new forum look.
Let the people who prefer small fonts miss the new look completely, since they wouldn't know about it unless someone told them to switch styles.
Do twice as much work, to create twice as many new styles.
Since it took us 365 days to prepare this one, we went with choice #1. :)

Foxglove9
Mar 31, 2007, 11:44 PM
Wow, can't believe a year has gone by already!

I already set up a joke for my coworker in the morning. She'll probably get scared in the morning when she opens up the office. heh.

I just noticed the extra tab. Funny stuff, nice work!! But I can't believe this already has negative ratings. WTH?

Erasmus
Mar 31, 2007, 11:47 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I love it!

Astounding Erasmus... That's right. I am surprisingly impressive or notable!

And I do tend to shock and greatly surprise people.

(Yes, I did use the dictionary in Dashboard ;-)

BigPrince
Mar 31, 2007, 11:48 PM
Sorry for the inconvenience today.

Let the people who prefer small fonts miss the new look completely, since they wouldn't know about it unless someone told them to switch styles.

Your so sneaky.

I'm Number one kind of like on Star Trek woot.

twoodcc
Mar 31, 2007, 11:50 PM
dang, they already started with the member names!

looking forward to getting my hopes up for some fake rumors...

maxterpiece
Mar 31, 2007, 11:51 PM
May the, "i'm posting just to see what my name is changed to," posts commence. Oh wait, they already have.

Luis
Mar 31, 2007, 11:55 PM
So then, am I fortunate?

Aperture
Mar 31, 2007, 11:55 PM
Observant.. I like it. Can't wait to see what the day holds. :)

Edit: Looks like SpicyApple & I share the same April Fool's Day Name!

Mainyehc
Mar 31, 2007, 11:56 PM
May the, "i'm posting just to see what my name is changed to," posts commence. Oh wait, they already have.

Did you just do so? :rolleyes:
Dang, I'm also doing it myself...! :D

Anyway, kudos for the nice blast from the past! :apple: :cool:

Edit: and yeah, I'm kinda sneaky... That's what I get for being a lurker most of the time... :p

superninjagoat
Mar 31, 2007, 11:57 PM
Sorry for the inconvenience today.

How do you change themes? There's some alternate style sheet? Did not know that. How do you change themes? What am I missing?:confused:

irmongoose
Mar 31, 2007, 11:57 PM
Remarkable!

Though I have to say, I'm pretty tired at the moment.

irmongoose

ibook30
Apr 1, 2007, 12:01 AM
So then, am I fortunate?

Yes- Fortunate Luis, since you got a fortune can I borrow like 50 bucks?

Sean7512
Apr 1, 2007, 12:06 AM

^^ I second that one :D

(Yes, I did use the dictionary in Dashboard ;-)

^^ Why not just use the control + command + d and mouse over it....Opening Dashboard is too long, haha ;)

Oh yeah... I'm typing this on my Quad Core MacBook Pro, running OS 11.......Yepp, it pays to know people :p

LimeiBook86
Apr 1, 2007, 12:08 AM
Haha this is great. Wow what a great deal on Adobe Photoshop 2.5!

I don't know if my machine can run it. I will probably have to add additional memory to my Macintosh IIcx. Maybe upgrade to a RosterOps NuBus graphics card to go along with my new Apple 13" RGB Monitor. It's going to be expensive though, but I'm sure it'll last forever! Right ? :D

macEfan
hahaha excellent work macRumors! Too bad we never ended up seeing an 6860 CPU :p I should dig my old apple IICi out of the closet and brows macrumors :D

Lixivial
I am, for all intents and purposes, whole-heartedly behind these changes. It's devotional.

And now I miss the Macintosh TV... :(

mac17
Apr 1, 2007, 12:10 AM
just want to see want my name changes to:D Happy April fools!

xtqqtxxx
Apr 1, 2007, 12:10 AM
I'm in denial ;)

GKThursday
Apr 1, 2007, 12:11 AM
I want a strange digital secretary who will answer my calls and do other secretarial like stuff. So where is it apple, you've had 20 years to work on it!

~Thursday

EDIT: Yup that just about sums it up. It's 1:15 AM, g'nite all.

Iroganai
Apr 1, 2007, 12:11 AM
I demand this addition of adjectives into usernames PERMANENT :cool: !

vniow
Apr 1, 2007, 12:13 AM
This is briliant.

Kingsly
Apr 1, 2007, 12:14 AM
Fear me!

:D

MacNut
Apr 1, 2007, 12:15 AM
and so it begins.:)

devilot
Tee hee. :D

SkyBell
HAHA thanks to the Mac Rumored tab, I had an uncontrollable urge to browse MR on my iMac G3 233.

And wow, what a turtle it is.:)

Lixivial
Apr 1, 2007, 12:17 AM
My Macintosh TV won't sync with my iTunes install and, aside from not coming with any High-Def cables, it doesn't even have an HDMI port! I can't even see my wireless network with it. I'm taking it back to Apple and demanding a refund. :mad:

I might wait, though, if those rumors of running OS X 10.4.8 on it turn out to be true. :apple:

Luis
Apr 1, 2007, 12:21 AM

When today Apple releases the 31st Anniversary Mac, you can.

MacNut
Apr 1, 2007, 12:26 AM
©1993 huh.:p
I guess that would explain this then.

iPodAddict
Apr 1, 2007, 12:27 AM
You guys certainly went all out. Thanks for the fun!

SkyBell
Apr 1, 2007, 12:29 AM
When today Apple releases the 31st Anniversary Mac, you can.

I'm gonna LMAO when Apple actually does it just to tick you off.:)

carve
Apr 1, 2007, 12:33 AM
This is too good! changing all the screen names!

CoreWeb
Apr 1, 2007, 12:36 AM
Apple is going to release something revolutionary: First, they are going to release new computers, all with built-in 8MP iSight cameras! What's more, each computer with a built-in display will have a screen resolution of at least 4MP (2560 x 1600).

In addition, Apple will be releasing 16MP displays (5120 x 3200). To drive these new displays, Apple will release their own graphics card, the most powerful ever made, with a proprietary 8-band DVI utilizing fiber optic data transmissions for ultra-fast screen updating. The graphics card itself is extremely fast, able not only to run programs such as Autodesk Maya and the RSS screensaver at very high speeds (and the new Core Animation effects work like never before!) but will also be able to run the most complicated games at speeds of 80+ frames per second.

And to top it off, Apple is releasing its Core Animator, a human-like robot which can be controlled wirelessly, through your computer, over the internet, or by the iPhone (which will be re-announced with a re-design which has less-rounded corners, and 4G internet access).

The Core Animator will run an enhanced version of OS X, and will be considered part of the Mac line.

Apple is in your car, in your home, in your office, in your den, and now, with the humanoid Core Animator:

Apple is in your family.

Doctor Q
Apr 1, 2007, 12:37 AM
Looks like SpicyApple & I share the same April Fool's Day Name!Wow! You are so... what's the word I'm looking for... um... visually aware!

How do you change themes? There's some alternate style sheet? Did not know that. How do you change themes? What am I missing?:confused:It's a combination of forum styles, custom scripting, templates, home-made forum plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree. The work was done by our staff of highly-trained nothing-better-to-do software engineers.

I cannot believe that nobody noticed when we did our trial run yesterday. Of course, that might have been because it wasn't visible unless you knew to click in the right place, and it was live for only about 10 seconds.

EricNau
Apr 1, 2007, 12:41 AM
Great new page.

As always, April Fools Day is the best day of the year for MacRumors. :) Thanks for the laughs!

I guess from now on everyone can call me The poster formerly known as EricNau, or you can just use the :apple: symbol. :p

Reach
Apr 1, 2007, 12:42 AM
hehe Wonderful job MR, quite elaborate, and a welcome surprise! :)

Allthough I kind of dislike being outed as never leaving this site, allthough it is true.. :p

superninjagoat
Apr 1, 2007, 12:42 AM
Wow! You are so... what's the word I'm looking for... um... visually aware!

It's a combination of forum styles, custom scripting, templates, home-made forum plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree. The work was done by our staff of highly-trained nothing-better-to-do software engineers.

I cannot believe that nobody noticed when we did our trial run yesterday. Of course, that might have been because it wasn't visible unless you knew to click in the right place, and it was live for only about 10 seconds.

Actually, that's not what I was asking, although I could have been more clear. An earlier post mentioned using smaller fonts, and that their fonts were "messed up." You mentioned something about people not knowing to switch themes. So, I assumed that somewhere there was a preference for using an alternate style sheet, one that used smaller fonts.

So, was I reading too much into it?

Marlon_JBT
Apr 1, 2007, 12:49 AM
Gotta love MacRumors on April Fools Day. :)

"MacRumored" LOL!!!

Page 3 from last year is still funny too!

jhero
Apr 1, 2007, 12:51 AM
ahaha i'm sincere!

Luis
Apr 1, 2007, 12:52 AM

Disclaimer: I deny having ever having said anything involving $50:cool:

Luis
Apr 1, 2007, 12:53 AM
ahaha i'm sincere!

That's what they want you to believe...

iJawn108
Haha I was thinking to myself "who are all these new members." :p

Happy 31st :apple:

AliensAreFuzzy
I love and hate April Fools at the same time. I love it for the funny stuff, but I hate it when I forget it's April Fools and believe something

mrxak
Apr 1, 2007, 12:55 AM
Ultra mrxak approves this message.

hcuar
Apr 1, 2007, 12:56 AM
Damn... i always like April 1st to fall on a work day. You get to tell people what you think of them... then say april fools :)

jaw04005
Apr 1, 2007, 12:57 AM
You gotta love the Macrumors community!

Father Jack
Apr 1, 2007, 12:58 AM
I have been trying to figure out what LMAO stands for .... please put me out of my misery

FJ

superninjagoat
Apr 1, 2007, 12:59 AM
I love and hate April Fools at the same time. I love it for the funny stuff, but I hate it when I forget it's April Fools and believe something

I'm trickier than you are. And, before you reply saying that you, in all actuality, are the trickier of the two of us, I say to you this: Whatever you say, plus one.

Read this, and know that you are beaten, my less tricky friend.:p

SkyBell
Apr 1, 2007, 01:05 AM
I have been trying to figure out what LMAO stands for .... please put me out of my misery

FJ

Laugh my @$$ off.:)

MacinDoc
Apr 1, 2007, 01:07 AM
Had to post just to see what my screen name was changed to...

Wow, somebody spent a lot of time on this for just one day...

AmbitiousLemon
Apr 1, 2007, 01:08 AM

FJ

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lmao

Father Jack
Apr 1, 2007, 01:08 AM
Laugh my @$$ off.:)
Thanks Cassie for putting me out of my misery. :)

FJ

thejadedmonkey
Apr 1, 2007, 01:10 AM
Had to post just to see what my screen name was changed to...

Wow, somebody spent a lot of time on this for just one day...

That's because Arn loves us :)

P.S. This has been a wasted post, to see what my username is :)

p0intblank
Apr 1, 2007, 01:11 AM
Happy birthday, Apple! :D

superninjagoat
Apr 1, 2007, 01:12 AM
That's because Arn loves us :)

P.S. This has been a wasted post, to see what my username is :)

For everyone wondering what their April Fool's name is, it's at the top of every page (when you're signed in) where it says "Welcome, YOUR NAME HERE."

Also, it's in old posts. That's how I discovered mine.

Father Jack
Apr 1, 2007, 01:12 AM

Cheers AmbitiousLemon.
I have bookmarked the Urban Dictionary site for future reference :)

FJ

SkyBell
Apr 1, 2007, 01:13 AM

Ok, now I'm literally LMAO.http://deephousepage.com/smilies/lach.gif

And thus ends my spamming run...for now, as I have to go to bed.

image link (edit: language warning) (http://i3.tinypic.com/2hhfytk.png)

TigerPRO
Apr 1, 2007, 01:14 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Today is April 1, 2007 and represents April Fool's Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fool%27s_Day) -- so readers should be wary of hoaxes and claims at both news and rumor sites today.

Are you serious about that?

Luis
Apr 1, 2007, 01:16 AM
Are you serious about that?

Just see Engadget (http://www.engadget.com)

Fortunate

SC68Cal
I wish i had a computer like that thing the professor did. Oregon Trail would be super sweet.

Doctor Q
Actually, that's not what I was asking, although I could have been more clear. An earlier post mentioned using smaller fonts, and that their fonts were "messed up." You mentioned something about people not knowing to switch themes. So, I assumed that somewhere there was a preference for using an alternate style sheet, one that used smaller fonts.Correct. We previously offered you a choice of two styles: "Mac Rumors Forums" and "Smaller Font", and those will return again.

However, for today, everyone is using our special "one size fits all" style. Once you have a choice again, you'll be able to select which style you want from a drop-down choice at the bottom of forum pages.

Father Jack
Ok, now I'm literally LMAO.:D

http://i3.tinypic.com/2hhfytk.png

I must include a few of those in my mass this morning :eek: :eek:

FJ

superninjagoat
Apr 1, 2007, 01:18 AM
Correct. We previously offered you a choice of two styles: "Mac Rumors Forums" and "Smaller Font", and those will return again.

However, for today, everyone is using our special "one size fits all" style. Once you have a choice again, you'll be able to select which style you want from a drop-down choice at the bottom of forum pages.

Thanks, Doc. I'd never noticed that before.

All: G'night! Must sleep.

devilot
Apr 1, 2007, 01:19 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lmaoPersonally, I prefer the term, LMCO (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lmco). :)

celebi23
Apr 1, 2007, 01:21 AM
I love april fools. wOoT!! Astounding celebi23 out :apple:

Father Jack
Apr 1, 2007, 01:23 AM
Personally, I prefer the term, LMCO (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lmco). :)
I suppose I dare not ask what the "C" stands for :o

FJ

Luis
Apr 1, 2007, 01:24 AM
Cats...

Father Jack
Apr 1, 2007, 01:27 AM
Cats...
And there I was thinking of something much worse :rolleyes:

FJ

spicyapple
Apr 1, 2007, 01:28 AM
And there I was thinking of something much worse :rolleyes:

Pray, Father. Such thoughts are very unbecoming. :(

devilot
Apr 1, 2007, 01:29 AM
And there I was thinking... Most people include hyperlinks for a reason. :p

mustard
and so it begins.:)

Another "Unusual" one I see

brianbobcat
Well while all you are looking at fake rumors, I'm sitting here playing with my iPhone that Fedex just delivered overnight. Ya that's right, I got one, and I'll post pics as soon as I'm done photoshopping them, um, errr, I mean unpacking the box of course.

No but seriously, I laughed the hardest I have in a long time thanks to page 3, I forgot about that.

-Alex

P.S. I never said I was brianbobcat.

ortuno2k
Apr 1, 2007, 01:30 AM
I thought I originally posted on the April Fool's Thread
I thought my name changed too...cool.

Father Jack
Apr 1, 2007, 01:31 AM
Pray, Father. Such thoughts are very unbecoming. :(
I am so ashamed :eek: (well not really !! :cool: )

FJ

freiheit
Apr 1, 2007, 01:50 AM
Instead of April Fools Day shouldn't it be Apple Fools Day?

And I'm still waiting on my 30th Anniversary 30" iMac!!!

motorazr
Apr 1, 2007, 02:00 AM
Gmail's paper archive...joke... how about the "TiSP" ?

http://www.google.com/tisp/

lol...#1...Remove the spindle of fiber-optic cable from your TiSP installation kit.

EricNau
Apr 1, 2007, 02:05 AM
Gmail's paper archive...joke... how about the "TiSP" ?

lol...#1...Remove the spindle of fiber-optic cable from your TiSP installation kit.
That's priceless.

BobbyDigital
Apr 1, 2007, 02:28 AM
I <3 MacRumors. I gotta say, I like my new temporary username! I could be a video game character... like Mario's nephew or something.

freiheit
Apr 1, 2007, 02:36 AM
I <3 MacRumors. I gotta say, I like my new temporary username! I could be a video game character... like Mario's nephew or something.

Oh it isn't temporary. These new nicks are here to stay. LOL

And I'm kind of sad -- I think my nick should say Unusually Freiheit. :b

EricNau
Apr 1, 2007, 02:45 AM
As it turns out, EricNau is both Honest and "Lucky" - unfortunately, I'm not EricNau anymore.

Figures, the good traits are always given to someone else. :D

4God
Apr 1, 2007, 02:45 AM
I almost fell over when I saw that Apple Cell phone pic on the first page. :D

indiekiduk
Apr 1, 2007, 03:01 AM
http://aprilfools.urgo.org/2007.html

giganten
Apr 1, 2007, 03:15 AM

Haha it is funny, great work! :D

Happy birthday, Apple!
And the apple store is down, ;)

madmax_2069
Apr 1, 2007, 03:16 AM
love what you all done with the nick's (i didnt know what to think at first , then i relised what day it is today) and the site. you all rock. the Mods and Admins and everyone make this place what it is. and i would not change a thing about it.

thanks are due to the Mods and Admins for maintaining this site so well and for making this site what it is and for all the great news and rumors and for making everyone feel welcome.

gomatt
Apr 1, 2007, 03:21 AM
HAHWHQHAAA ITS MY BIRTHDAY

i got my imac ssteaming TUNES FOR MY PARTY!!!!!! Go apple and my bday, hell y eah!!!!!! MOHITSO!

aspro
Apr 1, 2007, 03:37 AM
*Intellectual aspro smugly looks down on the ignorant masses*

psychofreak
Apr 1, 2007, 03:39 AM
Ooooh...I missed out on glasto tickets...:mad: :(

zyuzin4
Apr 1, 2007, 03:40 AM
Maelstrom! how I loved that game. Although I could never beat my dad's high score it wouldn't stop me from trying

Erasmus
Apr 1, 2007, 03:42 AM
HAHAHA...

When I saw my name for the first time, I was seconds away from flaming myself for ripping off my name! HAHAHA!

Now, for the member known as "Erasmus®"... I'll deal with YOU later. :mad:

MacRumours Rules!

SiliconAddict
Apr 1, 2007, 03:53 AM
2:18AM, Sunday April 1, 2007

Cupertino, California -- In a stunning turn of events Apple has decided to rebrand their laptop line once again. Over the last year with the transition to Intel, Apple has also migrated to new streamlined name for their entire line of laptops: MacBook.
Speaking at a small closed door press conference early Sunday morning, still wearing his back turtle neck robe, Steve Jobs announced that upcoming Apple laptops would now go by the classic name Pismo. Fans of Apple hardware will know this brand well as the codename for early Apple laptop models. When asked why the sudden name change Jobs broke into a cold sweat.
"I woke up this morning after a terrifying dream that people stopped buying MacBook and MacBook Pros because they hated the name. Sales dropped to zero and the company folded. After spending time reading various forums on the internet its become obvious that the hatred for MacBook is spreading. I see this as a real possibility and as such we are moving back to a tried and true name. Lets all welcome back the Pismo and the Pismo Pro."

mad jew
Apr 1, 2007, 03:56 AM
I don't geddit.

SeaFox
Apr 1, 2007, 03:56 AM
This year's retro posts are pretty good, but last year's page 3 (http://www.macrumors.com/page3/) was better.

macjackpro
Apr 1, 2007, 03:58 AM
Here I come!:D

Pressure
Apr 1, 2007, 04:02 AM
Heh, Unstoppable Pressure :D

liketom
Apr 1, 2007, 04:07 AM
God dam it another April 1st :rolleyes:

as always macrumors brings a smile to my face on my B-day

Erasmus
Apr 1, 2007, 04:11 AM
2:18AM, Sunday April 1, 2007

Cupertino, California -- In a stunning turn of events Apple has decided to rebrand their laptop line once again. Over the last year with the transition to Intel, Apple has also migrated to new streamlined name for their entire line of laptops: MacBook.
Speaking at a small closed door press conference early Sunday morning still wearing his back turtle neck robe Steve Jobs announced that upcoming Apple laptops would now go by the classic name Pismo. Fans of Apple hardware will know this brand well as the codename for early Apple laptop models. When asked why the sudden name change Jobs broke into a cold sweat.
"I woke up this morning after a terrifying dream that people stopped buying MacBook and MacBook Pros because they hated the name. Sales dropped to 0 and the company folded. After spending time reading various forums on the internet its become obvious that the hatred for MacBook is spreading. I see this as a real possibility and as such we are moving back to a tried and true name. Lets all welcome back the Pismo and the Pismo Pro."

Nice. Very witty. Did you write it, or find it?

Let's just hope that the only thing that goes retro is the name! (joke)

dante@sisna.com
Apr 1, 2007, 04:14 AM

Nice Spoof, MacRumors.

I think I'll keep my new username.:eek:

Shagrat
Apr 1, 2007, 04:16 AM
Great work, Guys! Wondered what MY name was going to be...

Humble Shagrat! Never realised that I was that modest!

"Cell Phones" are wireless telephones that don't have to be plugged into a telephone line.

YEAH, like THAT'L ever happen!

Next thing you'll be telling us will be that you will be soon getting entire movies on a 12cm disk!

These unsubstantiated rumours have got to stop, I tell you!

cwedl
Apr 1, 2007, 04:23 AM
Fantastic, wait I won't get too excited because I have to be casual today! but look like its going to be a good day!

SiliconAddict
Apr 1, 2007, 04:28 AM
Nice. Very witty. Did you write it, or find it?

Let's just hope that the only thing that goes retro is the name! (joke)

Wrote it. Caffeine and 3AM do wonderful things to the mind. :)

zenntench_oni
Apr 1, 2007, 04:49 AM
"aficionado zenntench_oni". . hey im offended!! lol just joking. XD

unsaltedrhino
Apr 1, 2007, 04:53 AM
Anyone else ordered Google TiSP yet?

redAPPLE
Apr 1, 2007, 05:04 AM
lol, I was trying to figure out what the Mac Rumored tab was there for...

good catch. would have never seen that :eek:

rdowns
Apr 1, 2007, 05:06 AM
Anyone else ordered Google TiSP yet?

I did but since it's free, I expect it to be crap (http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html).

eluk
Apr 1, 2007, 05:48 AM
Spooky!! The first altered name I noticed was 'Observant Spicyapple'.

Mostly eluk - very fitting.

DaveTheGrey
Apr 1, 2007, 05:48 AM
lol that's so funny

big bad :D

acearchie
Apr 1, 2007, 05:50 AM
I just want to see what my name is!!!!!

EDIT: FORTUNATE... Fortunate! how come everyone else gets something cool and im stuck with fortunate!!!!

psychofreak
Apr 1, 2007, 05:58 AM
I did but since it's free, I expect it to be crap (http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html).

Its real...trust me...look at my username and you will see that I am telling the truth...

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 1, 2007, 06:05 AM

(click for full size)

neonblue2
Apr 1, 2007, 06:16 AM
Once again neonblue2, that's pretty funny!

jonutarr
Apr 1, 2007, 06:19 AM
whats my name gona be?

madmax_2069
Apr 1, 2007, 06:24 AM
i just now seen that in the topic list on who posted last your nick will be diffrent than what is shown in the posting. like i seen watch for madmax_2069, Beware madmax_2069, and a few others but always stay's once again madmax_2069 in the posting. very clever if i might add.

i also seen allot of screwy things also besides the nick names. like in the posting rules box i have seen it say You may not post new threads. i also think i seen a thread closed button on a open topic (i cant confirm it tho cause i have yet to see it again ( i could be tripping tho)

blashphemy
Apr 1, 2007, 06:29 AM
dunno if anyone posted this yet, but google posted their april fools joke:

edit: never mind, someone already posted it....

rhetorical blashphemy... *shakes head* edit 2: and then it got changed back to normal?!

Eraserhead
Apr 1, 2007, 06:32 AM
Well I'm Kudos to Eraserhead, by the PM's and in thread but i'm Thoughtful Eraserhead on the forum homepage.

hana
Apr 1, 2007, 06:45 AM
Well, just had to joint in the fun.

(double take... look...typo...ah heck....I'll keep it...it's that kinda day and it's nearly 5am here....)

May your day be foolish and funny! :D

madmax_2069
Apr 1, 2007, 06:46 AM
i also looked and seen a few different for you as well like Undisputed Eraserhead.

man this is great looking to find what is out of place and weird

Vidd
Apr 1, 2007, 07:05 AM
The username hack's too cool. :O

dartzorichalcos
Apr 1, 2007, 07:13 AM
So when did the usernames names changed? How did the administrators and moderators d0 this?

schatten
Apr 1, 2007, 07:45 AM
Glad to see that SOME Mac fan websites have a sense of humor! :-)

dlastmango
Apr 1, 2007, 07:51 AM
to Me (I'm 32) and to :apple: (31)...

classof2011
Apr 1, 2007, 09:23 AM
I guess this explains the odd usernames :D

For a second there, I thought everyone figured out how to change their usernames. :eek:

Happy April Fools day everyone!!!!!

150hp
Apr 1, 2007, 09:27 AM
A smile upon my face today. My wife wanted to know what was so funny about the "MacRumored". I love we can poke fun @ ourselves.

Lone Deranger
Apr 1, 2007, 09:40 AM
So, apparently I'm the only fanatic in a forum full of Mac addicts? Oh dear.... :eek:

matthewHUB
Apr 1, 2007, 09:45 AM
lol this is hilarious. still can't believe Apple computer was foinded on april fools.

mattscott306
Apr 1, 2007, 09:48 AM
So, apparently I'm the only fanatic in a forum full of Mac addicts? Oh dear.... :eek:
Well I'm enthusiastic, not a fanatic.

holybatfart
Apr 1, 2007, 10:06 AM
oh my, im eloquent but i already knew that.:D

yzp
Apr 1, 2007, 10:07 AM
HAPPY B-DAY :apple:

davey-nb
Apr 1, 2007, 10:08 AM
Well I'm enthusiastic, not a fanatic.
Well at least you exist, I'm not even me yet!

Happy Birthday Apple.
Welcome Spring.
Goodbye hibernation.
Hello world!

lancestraz
Apr 1, 2007, 10:09 AM
Fear me mortals for I have returned!

~Shard~
Apr 1, 2007, 10:14 AM
Great job guys, I love the front page! And hey, I'm undisputed - can't complain about that at all! :D :cool:

Now where can I buy a copy of Photoshop 2.5 - that thing looks sweeeeet... :cool:

juanster
Apr 1, 2007, 10:15 AM
lol im loving this

buffalo
Apr 1, 2007, 10:17 AM
This does seem like a lot of work for one day. You might as well keep it up year round.

BiikeMike
Apr 1, 2007, 10:23 AM
Heh,

suneohair
Apr 1, 2007, 10:33 AM
Very nice. Happy birthday Apple.

Today they wiil report that the whole company was a big april fools joke. :D

angelneo
Apr 1, 2007, 10:51 AM
Haha, I love my new nickname. :D :D :D

You guys really did a lot of work for this. :)

mi5moav
Apr 1, 2007, 10:57 AM
I just found this on the Appple site, "Today we want to announce that the Apple iPhone is not a real product, it was actually just an early April Fools joke to get everyone in the spirit...of course we are actually releasing a new product today it is iSock V2"

Enjoy,

Steve

r6girl
Apr 1, 2007, 11:00 AM
too funny! good ones, mods!

i have to think you used some random adjective generator to change our user names, because i am most certainly *not* affable in many of my posts... :D

psychofreak
Apr 1, 2007, 11:05 AM
This does seem like a lot of work for one day. You might as well keep it up year round.

It would lose novelty...

timmillwood
Apr 1, 2007, 11:10 AM
Heh,

I wish this was real!

dukeblue91
Apr 1, 2007, 11:17 AM
Great work guys, I love the front page.
It actually took me a second to figure out that today was april 1st.
I do want one of those Knowledge Navigators, it reminds me of something out of TekWar.

Happy Birthday :apple:
And thank you MacRumors for making my day :D

lamina
Apr 1, 2007, 11:21 AM
This is such a tribute to the spirit of Apple and the MacRumors community. Good work.

Dapperdan
Apr 1, 2007, 11:28 AM
Happy April fools everyone

http://www.google.com/googlegulp/
http://www.google.com/romance/
http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_job.html
http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html
http://www.google.com/mentalplex/

SiliconAddict
Apr 1, 2007, 11:29 AM
Humble?!? LOL. Now THAT IS a April fools day joke. I'm about as humble as an Hummer, with a boom tube for a muffler, at a VW bug convention. :D

PS- I http://home.comcast.net/~jonnormand/icons/posting.php_files/1luvu.gif Google. Google is now what Apple use to be. http://home.comcast.net/~jonnormand/icons/posting.php_files/google.gif A company that can have fun. Apple, IMHO, has turned into IBM lite. Not the suits that IBM was/is. But definitely more corporate oriented. Google AFAIK, and stories I've heard really has a lot of fun with their company. I mean with Apple we never see BHA or LAW anymore. :D

Avicdar
Apr 1, 2007, 11:37 AM
Woof!

TC2COOL
Apr 1, 2007, 11:40 AM
Happy Birthday :apple: !

skunk
Apr 1, 2007, 11:55 AM
I am.

psychofreak
Apr 1, 2007, 11:57 AM
I am.

Really?

xnu
Apr 1, 2007, 11:57 AM
Happy Apple Fools Day!!!!!

skunk
Apr 1, 2007, 11:58 AM
Really?Indubitably.

paradillon
Apr 1, 2007, 11:58 AM
Good one!:D

enda1
Apr 1, 2007, 12:06 PM
April fools day. Where did it come from anyway. Someones gonna run off to wikipedia now...

Kashchei
Apr 1, 2007, 12:13 PM
The holiday has Roman origins since Aesop's fable about the boy who cried wolf was first published on this date.

gregorsamsa
Apr 1, 2007, 12:14 PM
Old School? And there was me thinking my posts were so radical & I the epitome of a man of the modern world, constantly metamorphosing. LOL! Excellent stuff! Keep up the good work.

~Shard~
Apr 1, 2007, 12:14 PM
April fools day. Where did it come from anyway. Someones gonna run off to wikipedia now...

No need to run off to wikipedia, the history of April Fool's Day isn't that obscure! :p It's simply that many cultures recognized April 1st as the start of the new year, but when the Gregorian calendar came into effect, they looked down on those cultures still recognizing April 1st as the start of the year. That's essentially the gist of it. Look it up on wikipedia if you like though... ;)

BlackDan
Apr 1, 2007, 12:25 PM
yep, I'm the expert, you guys know me better than I expected :D

GoCubsGo
Apr 1, 2007, 12:27 PM
My font size settings are all messed up now! Is that part of the joke too?

LOL No that's just to f with you.
I was curious myself. I figured, unstoppable...I think I'd like to keep it.

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 12:27 PM
GREAT JOB guys!!

Happy Birthday to MacRumors and Apple,Inc. :apple:

Best story :

Workgroup Server Benchmarks :p

johnee
Apr 1, 2007, 12:58 PM
One of the reasons I like this place is because the creator/moderators are focused, dedicated, and available. I have seen other sites grow substantially, and the creator left it in the hands of others, and the site suffered as a result.
MR is a relatively small community, and I like that. The fact that the creator still gets his hands dirty running this site helps extend it's gravitas.

I hope Arn will always make MR his top priority. He's like the SJ of MR :D

Just want to say thanks for creating/managing this site and kudos on a job well done!

and DON'T DOUBT me...

mikes63737
Apr 1, 2007, 01:21 PM
Lol~
MacRumors loads slow on my 300baud modem (6)

Noiseboy
Apr 1, 2007, 01:44 PM
Now thats what I call an epithet, thank you MacRumors for your keen observation.:D

obeygiant
Apr 1, 2007, 01:54 PM
will mactv play beta tapes?

Doctor Q
Apr 1, 2007, 02:08 PM
will mactv play beta tapes?I certainly hope so. I still don't trust that new "VSH" format, or whatever it's called. It doesn't hold as much video, so it's clearly not gonna win the battle.

goodtimes5
Apr 1, 2007, 02:35 PM
Macrumors is so great.

surferfromuk
Apr 1, 2007, 02:46 PM
so...come on - Where is my prize ???

Nice work :) - classy !.

MacsAttack
Apr 1, 2007, 02:56 PM

No. Video 2000. The best of the three formats :D

sarge
Apr 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
So super-dupible slick-o-gullible that I spent more time than I'm willing to admit trying to figure out how to get my old name back.

biturbomunkie
Apr 1, 2007, 03:41 PM
awww you guys made me feel special... ... :)

alec
Apr 1, 2007, 04:06 PM
April Fools, Apple will release one product this year, and it will be an ultra-slim laptop with two serial ports.

interlaced
Apr 1, 2007, 04:22 PM
i'm interlaced. aw. i got the boring one. :( :p haha

dernhelm
Apr 1, 2007, 04:27 PM

Li'l? Oh well, I've been called worse.

BobtheTomato
Apr 1, 2007, 04:48 PM
How long will it take for them to get the full version of Mac OS 8 working on the MacTV? :confused: Surely someone can hack it to work. I heard that it is actually a stripped down Mac so it should be possible :) Maybe they can solder a FPU on while they're in there.

mikes63737
Apr 1, 2007, 05:15 PM

No, Laserdisc.

Did anyone see this? http://mail.google.com/mail/help/paper/more.html It actually got me before I signed in, and I spent about 20 seconds looking for the button for it.

synth3tik
Apr 1, 2007, 06:47 PM
Damn so Photoshop 2.5 isn't really coming out. DAMN. I really am getting tried of version 2.

lozanoj83
Apr 1, 2007, 07:01 PM
Lol, Stupendous Lozanoj83..
I like it!

steve_hill4
Apr 1, 2007, 07:09 PM
Gourmet eh? Suppose I better cook something up then. [GROAN]

I look forward to the Newton release, it looks like they're predicting where the market is heading and trying to get in there early. Macintosh TV though? I can't see any reason why people would want to merge their computer with a TV. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how the two can even be connected.

Anyway, great job again guys.

musicus
Apr 1, 2007, 07:25 PM
Well done, and thanks! :)

gallagb
Apr 1, 2007, 07:31 PM
go MR!

BiikeMike
Apr 1, 2007, 07:58 PM
April Fools, Apple will release one product this year, and it will be an ultra-slim laptop with two serial ports.

Thats what its lookin like!

grafikat
Apr 1, 2007, 07:59 PM
Woof!

That should be Moof!

Gasu E.
Apr 1, 2007, 08:11 PM
How did they know?

vanzskater272
Apr 1, 2007, 08:45 PM
Haha best april fools prank ever.

I thought we had been hacked.

failsafe1
Apr 1, 2007, 09:19 PM
Gotta get me one of them phones. Sweet.:rolleyes:

dude-x
Apr 1, 2007, 09:40 PM
I was hooked when I saw Apple II Forever :)

Spectrum
Apr 1, 2007, 10:08 PM
At ease comrades. :)

iKwick7
Apr 1, 2007, 10:11 PM
I demand this addition of adjectives into usernames PERMANENT :cool: !

Agreed. Or at least randomly.

Agreed.

O no! What happened to the orignal me!? I have been replaced by my future self.

steve jr.
Apr 1, 2007, 10:18 PM
yeah, the google prank was really good. it had me going for a few seconds.

arn
Apr 1, 2007, 11:12 PM
Hey all,

The username hack was thought up and implemented by Doctor Q and Knox, so thank them for their hard work.

All the mods contributed to the ideas and helped with our circa 1993 MacRumors Page which was again spearheaded by Doctor Q. The "Mac Rumored" page was located in a new "MacRumored" tab which appeared at the top navigation. The page is still available at:

http://www.macrumors.com/macrumored/

It represents Apple rumors from a late 1993 perspective. I think what's kinda cool is that two of the quotes are real quotes from Apple CEOs at the time.

Michael Spindler re the Macintosh TV:
It's an exciting product, one that delivers on the idea of combining technologies like computers and television into one system. Although the Mac TV product is being tested in specific areas, we think it represents the future of converging technologies and intend to continue our development efforts in this area.

John Sculley regarding Apple:
"I can see the day when Apple won't be in the personal computer business."

Anyhow, thanks to all the mods/editors for all their contributions:

AmbitiousLemon
bousozoku
Doctor Q
edesignuk
eyelikeart
HexMonkey
jsw
Knox
longofest
Mitthrawnuruodo
Mr. Anderson
Mudbug
Nermal
Rower_CPU
WildCowboy
WinterMute

Multimedia
Apr 1, 2007, 11:17 PM
Haha best april fools prank ever.

I thought we had been hacked.Me too. I was all angry about it. Can't take a joke. Bad attitude. Thanks for all the work. My bad. :o

devilot
Apr 1, 2007, 11:21 PM
The username hack was thought up and implemented by Doctor Q and Knox, so thank them for their hard work. I figured as much. ;) Knox for the technical know-how of MR and all that, and Doctor Q 'cause he's so darned sneaky all the time! Seriously! :D

Anyhow, thanks to all the mods/editors for all their contributions:Indeed. :) Thanks guys, y'all make MR so much fun. People think I'm crazy when I say I actually enjoy visiting the same site for hours at a time everyday-- they just haven't gotten a chance to see Teh Coolness™. :p But seriously, thank you. I realize there are probably a ton of tiny details that many of us overlooked, but that's not to say all your effort and time putting on this elaborate "prank" isn't appreciated.

Thank you.

Kashchei
Apr 1, 2007, 11:27 PM
I thought my "new" name was hilarious--I've never been accused of being voluble! Perhaps this was a shot at me first registering almost five years ago and just today breaking the hundred-post mark. Thanks MR--you made my day!

Luis
Apr 1, 2007, 11:32 PM
*sighs* Guess i'm still fortunate in my mind...*sighs*

Iroganai
Apr 2, 2007, 12:05 AM
Please, please bring back the username hack ...:(

EricNau
Apr 2, 2007, 12:08 AM
The username hack was thought up and implemented by Doctor Q and Knox, so thank them for their hard work.
Were the username prefixes assigned randomly, or was there a method to your madness? :)

...I realize there are probably a ton of tiny details that many of us overlooked, but that's not to say all your effort and time putting on this elaborate "prank" isn't appreciated.
No need to worry, I'm sure if we missed anything Doctor Q will be more than happy to point everything out. :D ;)

twoodcc
Apr 2, 2007, 12:54 AM
nice job mods :)

Doctor Q
Apr 2, 2007, 01:50 AM
Were the username prefixes assigned randomly, or was there a method to your madness? :)I suggest reading this post.

Jimmieboy
Apr 2, 2007, 02:12 AM
Haha! Anyone seen gmail's april fools joke? Head to http://www.gmail.com/ and check it out. Ha! It almost had me, until I googled soybean seprum or whatever it was.

bearbo
Apr 2, 2007, 02:19 AM
also the google TiSP (Toilet ISP)...

macdaddy121
Apr 2, 2007, 02:34 AM
Good stuff. I enjoyed the laugh. :)

~Shard~
Apr 2, 2007, 09:54 AM
Please, please bring back the username hack ...:(

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for April 1, 2008... :p ;)

nbs2
Apr 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
I'm afraid you'll have to wait for April 1, 2008... :p ;)

Anybody know if the mods archived the usernames? This is what I get for having family over all day yesterday...:mad:

~Shard~
Apr 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
Anybody know if the mods archived the usernames? This is what I get for having family over all day yesterday...:mad:

Your best bet is probably to just PM Doctor Q or another Mod and ask...

Doctor Q
Apr 4, 2007, 01:04 AM
For posterity, I captured a screenshot of the Top 30 posters with their April Fool's Day user names.

Click for the rather tall full-size image.

~Shard~
Apr 4, 2007, 02:42 PM
For posterity, I captured a screenshot of the Top 30 posters with their April Fool's Day user names.

Click for the rather tall full-size image.

Thanks Doctor Q, this will be a nice memento of the day. :)