PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Mac - eMac?

mwpeters8182
Jun 12, 2003, 07:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently had the great experience of having my B&W die on me (probably my fault, I was putting in an upgrade chip, and now it doesn't work - won't even boot from the original G3). It acts like there is no CPU in the machine. My friend, who is pretty mac-hardware savvy, seems to think it is the logic board. This means, of course, that I now need a mac.

I'm a senior engineering major, so I do need a little bit of power, but not a whole lot. I also have a PC laptop (Celeron 1.13 GHz - not the fastest thing ever, but still pretty speedy). I am looking at the Combo or Superdrive eMac. Does anyone have any experience with these machines? They've looked pretty good to me using them for 10-15 mins in CompUSA. Especially on the low end, they seem to me like a much better deal than the flat panel.

Any input would be great

Thanks

MP

whawho
Jun 12, 2003, 07:48 AM
I use a 700mhz eMac here at work and I can say that it's a fantastic computer. You may get screen flicker in the higher resolution (1280x960) but other than that my experience with the eMac has been favorable. I really put it to work here also, I run Photoshop, inDesign, Flash, Fireworks, Dreamweaver etc... and it handles it like a champ. One recommendation I would give you (along with probably anybody else) is to get as much ram as you can ... it makes a huge differece.. I have a gig of ram in the eMac.

So if you were planning on buying one of the newer eMacs I would say go for it..

Cheers,

Scott

pyrotoaster
Jun 12, 2003, 10:22 AM
Go ahead and get the eMac. While it isn't Apple's prettiest offering (okay, it's downright freaky looking), it's affordable and it gets the job done. And you can't go wrong with a SuperDrive.

Just be warned: while the iMac can be picked up and carried around by its neck, the eMac weighs about 50 pounds.

medea
Jun 12, 2003, 10:31 AM
go ahead and get the emac, it should suit you just fine.

mwpeters8182
Jun 12, 2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks a lot for the info, i appreciate the help. I got a call today, the company I bought the zif from said that they will get it working free of charge in my computer -- if that works, i won't have to get a new mac -- i can wait till i have a little more cash saved up. But thanks for your help

Matt