PDA

View Full Version : AMD presents their strategy for next-generation microprocesor performance

vniow
Jun 12, 2003, 01:39 PM
SUNNYVALE, Calif. & KYOTO, Japan--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 11, 2003--At the VLSI Symposium in Kyoto, Japan, AMD (NYSE:AMD (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=amd&d=t) - News (http://biz.yahoo.com/n/a/amd.html)) researchers presented detailed information on their creation of transistors delivering some of the highest performance levels ever published. Faster transistors are key enablers of higher-performance customer solutions, acting as the fundamental building blocks of future microprocessor designs.

One set of transistors presented today use fully-depleted Silicon-on-Insulator (FDSOI) technology and deliver the highest PMOS (P-channel metal-oxide semiconductor) transistor speed ever published: up to a 30% increase versus previously published transistors. The other set use Strained-Silicon and AMD metal gate technology to deliver 20-25% higher NMOS (N-channel metal-oxide semiconductor) performance relative to conventional Strained-Silicon transistors.

"Metal-gates, FDSOI and Strained-Silicon are examples of key transistor R&D work conducted by AMD. The double-digit percent improvements achieved in our labs expands AMD's options for achieving our aggressive performance objectives when we transition to 65 nanometer (nm) production and beyond," said Craig Sander, vice president of process technology development for AMD.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030612/115146_1.html

MrMacMan
Jun 12, 2003, 07:57 PM
Ha, gotta love AMD, trying to fight back against Intel, atleast it is competiton.

Tho that IS bad because then Intel trys producing faster processors faster... oh well...

groovebuster
Jun 14, 2003, 01:28 AM
This is just a basic technology to have faster transistors. It also has to be implemented in a chip-design that works and doesn't make a PC a pizza oven. And compared to the speed increases the industry is providing year by year, it is not that much ground breaking. If they would have said 10x faster or something like that, it would have been impressing indeed...

groovebuster

jethroted
Jun 14, 2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Ha, gotta love AMD, trying to fight back against Intel, atleast it is competiton.

Tho that IS bad because then Intel trys producing faster processors faster... oh well...

What's wrong with Intel trying to produce faster processors faster? Don't we want technology to get better as fast as it can? Who wants to wait around for everything to improve, when it could be going on now? I just can't wait for that nano tube ram, and the quantum processors. I wish they were ready to come out now. I certainly don't want to push it back.

pseudobrit
Jun 14, 2003, 10:45 PM
Anyone else think it would kick ass if Moto got the boot and Apple and IBM brought AMD in on the alliance making PowerPC chips?

davy the bunny
Jun 18, 2003, 02:58 PM
I would but I don't want to get flamed for including Apple and AMD in the same sentence. But yeah, I think it'd be the coolest thing ever.

MrMacMan
Jun 18, 2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
What's wrong with Intel trying to produce faster processors faster? Don't we want technology to get better as fast as it can? Who wants to wait around for everything to improve, when it could be going on now? I just can't wait for that nano tube ram, and the quantum processors. I wish they were ready to come out now. I certainly don't want to push it back.

Because we are getting pwned at clock speed and overall speed and components for computers.