Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one is better?

• img00076samp2.jpg

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • IMG00762.jpg

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi,

I'm hoping you folks can help me out.

Here are 2 samples (sorry they aren't larger in size :(

one is scanned by a company whom i use to scan larger batches for dvd projects (aside from shrinking them for dvd use, i include the originals in a data folder).

one is scanned by me using my epson v700.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/keebler_deerkiller/img00076samp2.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/keebler_deerkiller/IMG00762.jpg

simply put - in your opinion, which is better in terms of colour, exposure etc..etc..

Cheers,
Keebler

Georgie

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
"samp2" is super-saturated--too much so in my opinion--and bends into magenta, on top of which it's too contrasty and details are lost from the shadows. I prefer "IMG00762," though it has low contrast and is tinged yellow. The second image (IMG00762) preserves more information and would be easier to correct. Looking at the two alone, I prefer IMG because I think it's probably more accurate, but that's a subjective opinion. Neither are great.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi,

I'm hoping you folks can help me out.

Here are 2 samples (sorry they aren't larger in size :(

one is scanned by a company whom i use to scan larger batches for dvd projects (aside from shrinking them for dvd use, i include the originals in a data folder).

one is scanned by me using my epson v700.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/keebler_deerkiller/img00076samp2.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/keebler_deerkiller/IMG00762.jpg

simply put - in your opinion, which is better in terms of colour, exposure etc..etc..

Cheers,
Keebler

The first is noticeably sharper, they're in different color spaces, and that's all adjustable, but the blur of the second kills it outright in a side-by-side comparison.

Blending the two automatically doesn't do too badly though.

Attachments

• mixed.jpg
    mixed.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 76

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
thanks for the feedback.

i wish i could post the full res. shots as they are much clearer than this little pics.

cheers,
keebler

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
i wish i could post the full res. shots as they are much clearer than this little pics.

If anything, posting the full-res shots will show even more how blurry they are. I've noticed this a lot with scanned prints though... they're not very sharp compared to digital. I think if you really want to still use film but put photos online, or even make digital backups you'll need a negative scanner... but I think those are fairly costly.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Two seems oversaturated. Both are nothing great to get excited about. Is this the best source image you've got?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Two seems oversaturated. Both are nothing great to get excited about. Is this the best source image you've got?

sadly, it is. these are 35mm slides from the 70s. there is another 275 of them. i may have picked a bad example, but they are similar. some are incredibly clear and some are the same.

when it comes down to it, what i use as a source heavily determines the outcome. i'm trying to determine if i should outsource the scanning (they did img00076 from a previous job) for a new job (232 pics) or if i should scan them in my office (samp2). I'm using an epson v700 with silverfast SE. I may upgrade to the AI version which allows for more colour correction, exposure control and Digital ICE control. In the end, i want to ensure the client is happy of course.

Cheers,
Keebler

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
sadly, it is. these are 35mm slides from the 70s. there is another 275 of them. i may have picked a bad example, but they are similar. some are incredibly clear and some are the same.

when it comes down to it, what i use as a source heavily determines the outcome. i'm trying to determine if i should outsource the scanning (they did img00076 from a previous job) for a new job (232 pics) or if i should scan them in my office (samp2). I'm using an epson v700 with silverfast SE. I may upgrade to the AI version which allows for more colour correction, exposure control and Digital ICE control. In the end, i want to ensure the client is happy of course.

Cheers,
Keebler

Their scanner is out of focus. I'd throw it back for a rescan and see if they can match the focus, if not, then dump them- that's killing the image (not that it's an image to write home about anyway, but I'm sure it's someone's memory of a good time.) I'd stay away from Disneychrome-like profiles unless they were actually shot on Velvia though. That is unless the client wants them all over-saturated and unrealistic color-wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.