PDA

View Full Version : Macbook or Powerbook: Resolved

DigitalAx
Apr 3, 2007, 08:55 AM
ok, so I've posted in Marketplace, WTB: Macbook or Powerbook.

I'm looking for a Mac for my girlfriend, who's a pretty light user. I can pick up a Powerbook for around $600, and a Macbook for $800 refurb from Apple, with an option to add Applecare.

I'm leaning towards the Macbook because:

It's newer
Brighter Screen
Direct from Apple
Option to add ApplecareShe'll be mainly surfing the web, using iPhoto, a very small amount of Photoshop work (none professionally, and very very lightly), email, etc. Definitely not a power user.

What do you guys think?

McGarvels
Apr 3, 2007, 09:02 AM
I think you answered your own question. I would definitely say go with the macbook. It is more future proof and you have the ability to get applecare which is pretty much essential if you have a laptop. Cheers.

DigitalAx
Apr 3, 2007, 09:04 AM
I should add, I've just lined up a deal from Craigslist for a 15" Powerbook, 1GHZ, 1GB Ram for $500. The $800 Macbook with Applecare and tax comes out to $1,134. So we're talking a pretty big price difference.

davidjearly
Apr 3, 2007, 09:07 AM
I should add, I've just lined up a deal from Craigslist for a 15" Powerbook, 1GHZ, 1GB Ram for $500. The $800 Macbook with Applecare and tax comes out to $1,134. So we're talking a pretty big price difference.

I'd take the PB at that price for her needs. No doubt here at all.
Try talk the deal down a bit further - $475, but it is still reasonable as it is as long as it is in good condition.

DigitalAx
Apr 3, 2007, 09:10 AM
I'd take the PB at that price for her needs. No doubt here at all.
Try talk the deal down a bit further - $475, but it is still reasonable as it is as long as it is in good condition.

Yeah, almost TOO good of a deal. I think I'm going to walk away from the PB because it sounds fishy. It takes some time to find a 12" PB for $600-650, let alone a 15" for $500. I'd think I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing it's not stolen.

davidjearly
Apr 3, 2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah, almost TOO good of a deal. I think I'm going to walk away from the PB because it sounds fishy. It takes some time to find a 12" PB for $600-650, let alone a 15" for $500. I'd think I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing it's not stolen.

Its not that fishy at all going solely by price. I got my PB 15" (see signature) for $400.

DigitalAx
Apr 3, 2007, 09:22 AM
:eek: PB prices are all over the board then.

BenHoleton
Apr 3, 2007, 09:56 AM
Don't forget you can buy Applecare within the first year for no additional cost, so you can save some money in the short run. And I bought my applecare off eBay for $50 (same as you need; macbook/ibook), which was a huge savings over what the apple store charges. just a thought.

SPinc33
Apr 3, 2007, 10:34 AM
as an almost victim, i have to say be careful on those "too good to be true" Craigslist deals. Whatever you do, don't transfer money in advance. I almost got scammed while looking for an apartment.

DigitalAx
Apr 3, 2007, 10:43 AM
as an almost victim, i have to say be careful on those "too good to be true" Craigslist deals. Whatever you do, don't transfer money in advance. I almost got scammed while looking for an apartment.

Nah, I'm super careful. There's no reason not to deal exclusively in cash on Craigslist.

siurpeeman
Apr 3, 2007, 11:14 AM
ok, so I've posted in Marketplace, WTB: Macbook or Powerbook.

I'm looking for a Mac for my girlfriend, who's a pretty light user. I can pick up a Powerbook for around $600, and a Macbook for $800 refurb from Apple, with an option to add Applecare.

I'm leaning towards the Macbook because:

It's newer
Brighter Screen
Direct from Apple
Option to add ApplecareShe'll be mainly surfing the web, using iPhoto, a very small amount of Photoshop work (none professionally, and very very lightly), email, etc. Definitely not a power user.

What do you guys think?

the $799 macbook comes to be around $867 after tax (7.75%). applecare can always be added later. so even though it'll be used lightly, i'd still opt for a macbook, because (1) it's intel, (2) it's much faster, (3) you have the option to run windows, (4) it'll be covered under warranty, and (5) it's an all-around good computer. it'll do more for you for longer as well. go with the macbook.

DigitalAx
Apr 3, 2007, 11:27 AM
the $799 macbook comes to be around $867 after tax (7.75%). applecare can always be added later. so even though it'll be used lightly, i'd still opt for a macbook, because (1) it's intel, (2) it's much faster, (3) you have the option to run windows, (4) it'll be covered under warranty, and (5) it's an all-around good computer. it'll do more for you for longer as well. go with the macbook.

Probably better resale in a couple of years too, right?

DigitalAx
Apr 3, 2007, 11:29 AM
Don't forget you can buy Applecare within the first year for no additional cost, so you can save some money in the short run. And I bought my applecare off eBay for $50 (same as you need; macbook/ibook), which was a huge savings over what the apple store charges. just a thought.

Is this within a year of the manufacture date, or a year from when you buy it? Does this only apply if you buy it from Apple? And, does it apply to refurbs?

siurpeeman
Apr 3, 2007, 11:35 AM
Is this within a year of the manufacture date, or a year from when you buy it? Does this only apply if you buy it from Apple? And, does it apply to refurbs?

you can buy applecare up to a year after the purchase date. i don't know about the second question, but yes, you can buy applecare on refurbished models.

hmm, i never knew you could buy applecare off ebay. go figure (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=applecare).

DigitalAx
Apr 3, 2007, 11:37 AM
you can buy applecare up to a year after the purchase date. i don't know about the second question, but yes, you can buy applecare on refurbished models.

I know you can buy Applecare on refurbished models, my question is do you still have the year window on a refurb?

siurpeeman
Apr 3, 2007, 11:39 AM
I know you can buy Applecare on refurbished models, my question is do you still have the year window on a refurb?

i was answering yes to that question in particular. so yes, you can buy applecare up to a year after purchase on refurbished models.

spencecb
Apr 3, 2007, 11:39 AM
At this point in the game, it really does not make sense to buy a PowerPC based Mac unless it is a PowerMac G5 Quad Core.

For just the extra couple hundred dollars, you get a truly modern Mac that will last much longer than the PowerPC.

DigitalAx
Apr 3, 2007, 11:42 AM
i was answering yes to that question in particular. so yes, you can buy applecare up to a year after purchase on refurbished models.

Great, thanks.

--
Thank you everyone for your opinions and suggestions on this.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards a $800 refurb Macbook from Apple (I'll have to keep checking as the one from this morning is gone).

If you have any reason why I shouldn't, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again! :D

DigitalAx
Apr 3, 2007, 08:51 PM
OK, consider this done.

Got a great deal off of Craigslist today. 13" Macbook, 1.83CD, 1.25GB Ram, 60Gb HD for $750. Plus, I should still be able to get AppleCare on it because of its purchase date.

BenHoleton
Apr 3, 2007, 09:58 PM
Congrats. That's a pretty sweet deal