PDA

View Full Version : Marathon

OscarTheGrouch
Apr 8, 2007, 09:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_(computer_game)

Anyone have these?? Will they work on an insmell mac? I'd love to relive highschool.

Who else remembers these games from bungie software

sccrrich
Apr 8, 2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah man, old school rocks!!! I have loved Marathon since it was first was introduced and am still an avid player. And you will be happy to know that they are now free on Bungie's website! You can download all three for free! And there is a OS X port called Aleph One, but you must have the originals first. It's free too! Have fun kicken' it old school!!

sccrrich

OscarTheGrouch
Apr 8, 2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah man, old school rocks!!! I have loved Marathon since it was first was introduced and am still an avid player. And you will be happy to know that they are now free on Bungie's website! You can download all three for free! And there is a OS X port called Aleph One, but you must have the originals first. It's free too! Have fun kicken' it old school!!

sccrrich

*starts to shake like an addict*

where on their site.. im there now.. cant.. find... it... must... have... marathon....

ok found it.. GAH.. the aleph one links dont work.. must.. find that... and find an app to unstuff this crap..

Erasmus
Apr 8, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hey man, "Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge" 3.0. Awesomest Marathon game ever. So amazingly way better than Marathon 1, 2 or Inf.

Marathon RED also rocks. Then again, so does EVIL, and Squadron's alright, but it's a bit easy, and way too short.

Eternal, not so much. Too damn confusing and hard to figure out what you're supposed to do.

EMR ROCKS!

Woo! 450th post! 50 to go!

pknz
Apr 8, 2007, 11:43 PM
I still play Marathon online with a mate.

Its awesome.

millar876
Apr 8, 2007, 11:52 PM
I got all the marathon games free with a magazine a couple of months back, and it even had a osx version Aleph one. There is even an abandonware site that has a version Linkety (http://mac.the-underdogs.info/index.php?show=alpha&alpha=77)

nagromme
Apr 9, 2007, 12:27 AM
I own the FIRST Marathon game--before Marathon itself came out: Pathways Into Darkness. It came with my Mac clone I think, on some CD of cheap old games.

Chone
Apr 9, 2007, 12:36 AM
I'm a huge marathon fan, be sure to play without caps lock as your run key and no mouse (now thats old school).

A very fun game and way ahead of its time (Doom looked like Duck Hunt next to Marathon) .

Fezwick
Apr 9, 2007, 03:21 PM
Marathon was a great game for it's time. I wish Bungie would bring out another Marathon game with an all new graphics engine.

ok found it.. GAH.. the aleph one links dont work.. must.. find that... and find an app to unstuff this crap..

Aleph One is here (http://marathon.sourceforge.net/), and you probably need Stuffit Expander to expand the files. That can be found here (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/182).

woxel1
Apr 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
Don't forget to download Rubicon (http://www.marathonrubicon.com/), arguably the best third-party scenario money can buy (it's free).

aidanpendragon
Apr 9, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hey man, "Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge" 3.0. Awesomest Marathon game ever. So amazingly way better than Marathon 1, 2 or Inf.

Marathon RED also rocks. Then again, so does EVIL, and Squadron's alright, but it's a bit easy, and way too short.

Eternal, not so much. Too damn confusing and hard to figure out what you're supposed to do.

EMR ROCKS!

Woo! 450th post! 50 to go!

Does EVIL work under Aleph One? Couldn't seem to get it to do so...

Erasmus
Apr 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
Does EVIL work under Aleph One? Couldn't seem to get it to do so...

Yeah, although I couldn't actually use the Aleph One update. The installer is happy to update shapes, music, etc. but not the application. This is OK, except you end up with all the weapons being given the wrong name (as in the original names) but everything else works fine.

ZorPrime
Apr 10, 2007, 09:25 PM
I'm a huge marathon fan, be sure to play without caps lock as your run key and no mouse (now thats old school).

A very fun game and way ahead of its time (Doom looked like Duck Hunt next to Marathon) .

*getting a flashback to college*

I have all three games and was a beta tester for the first one. I still have my old recordings from online play... wow, that was back in '94. :eek: ah more flashbacks... i had my old performa 636CD, played at 256 colours with everyother line drawn... I spent $200 on an FPU co-processor so I could play Durandal and Infinity... Ah, those were the days.... Does anyone remember... "They're everywhere!!!" then BOOM! Loved those exploding Bobs. :D

I specifically got the last gen Powerbook so I could play my old 68k games, like Beyond Dark Castle and Pax Imperia (anyone remember that one?) :) To bad the IntelMacs don't support the old 68k apps :(

Mr. Gumby
Apr 10, 2007, 10:43 PM
Here (http://source.bungie.org/get/) is another link to the Aleph One files and the needed original files to play the entire trilogy.

Those are some great games; I made a couple of large scenarios for the original Marathon but have not ported them over to Aleph One so they're destined gradually fade into the oblivion of forgotten software.

I'm actually slowly working on a total conversion for Aleph One. I guess I'm really just using the AO engine and not making a "Marathon" scenario. Maybe I'll be done in a few years!

ZorPrime
Apr 11, 2007, 12:59 AM
Here (http://source.bungie.org/get/) is another link to the Aleph One files and the needed original files to play the entire trilogy.

Those are some great games; I made a couple of large scenarios for the original Marathon but have not ported them over to Aleph One so they're destined gradually fade into the oblivion of forgotten software.

I'm actually slowly working on a total conversion for Aleph One. I guess I'm really just using the AO engine and not making a "Marathon" scenario. Maybe I'll be done in a few years!

You are so cool!! *reverently bows* I was really stuck in the old days and to see that Marathon lives on, totally kicks A! I'm downloading everything now. Looks like I'm going to have to take tomorrow off from work. :D

G.Kirby
Apr 11, 2007, 03:23 AM
What a set of Games!!!! :D

I almost failed my degree because of those games lol. I still play them from time to time. Other versions I enjoyed were Evil, Tempus Irae & Rubicon.

I can feel myself slipping away into first person mode, "is this two pistols I see before me and a Pfhor army? cool! where did i see those yellow ammo boxes?" :D

Happy happy memories :p

pknz
Apr 11, 2007, 03:50 AM
If I recall, the Marathon series (it was probably Marathon 2) taught me the definition of 'munted,' 'muntify' and 'muntified.'

Hugh
Apr 11, 2007, 06:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_(computer_game)

Anyone have these?? Will they work on an insmell mac? I'd love to relive highschool.

Who else remembers these games from bungie software

I Have Pathways CD from MacMall as a closeout (long time ago) and then I got Marathon Inf. 2 weeks letter has a special they had. All you had to do was by any thing from the catalog and you could get the game for $3.00 (full retail version to boot).

I was very dissapointed when Bungie was bought by Microsoft; by-by great games for the Mac only. (Only Marathon 2 made it to the PC)

Hugh

Agilus
Apr 11, 2007, 07:03 AM
I didn't have a Mac when I was young, and didn't learn about Bungie until Myth came along. Since then, I've been addicted. I downloaded most of the Aleph One stuff one night, but haven't gotten a chance to really try it out yet.

By the way, Myth I, II, and III are still alive and kicking. There's an active community that has created bug fixes, extra features, new maps, and some total conversions for Myth II at www.projectmagma.net.

Erasmus
Apr 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
If I recall, the Marathon series (it was probably Marathon 2) taught me the definition of 'munted,' 'muntify' and 'muntified.'

Please elaborate. I have played 2 and 3, and started the original, but can't remember any mention of "munt" in any form.

pknz
Apr 11, 2007, 07:23 PM
Please elaborate. I have played 2 and 3, and started the original, but can't remember any mention of "munt" in any form.

Oh It wasn't mentioned in the game, I was playing when I was probably 8 or 9 years old in the computer suite at primary school. Munt and all its various forms was definitly the in word. I guess its equivalent today would be 'pwn.'

Erasmus
Apr 12, 2007, 12:00 AM
Oh It wasn't mentioned in the game, I was playing when I was probably 8 or 9 years old in the computer suite at primary school. Munt and all its various forms was definitly the in word. I guess its equivalent today would be 'pwn.'

As in: "I'll munt your munted arse, muntfood man!"? :D

You just can't beat 1337357, pwnd, haxxor, roflmao, etc...

...On second thoughts, you can. It's called proper English.

Post Status: 30 posts to go!

Chone
Apr 14, 2007, 03:16 PM
I don't think I've ever had more fun playing LANs with a game than with Marathon, it was so funny since we all played with keyboard-only and no caps and it was really funny trying to aim down to shoot rockets, you ended up killing yourself all too often :) (thinking about that put a smile in my face).

Seeing corpses fly (and they flew pretty long with rockets aimed to the feet) was so fun, blasting people with shotguns was really funny as well and seeing the battlefield painted with piles of corpses near the end of the match was so gratifying.

Oh good times... Marathon is too much of a good game, Halo doesn't even come close to doing it justice, Marathon also has one of the most engaging storylines I've ever experienced.

Simply put any gamer owes to themselves to play Marathon, if you are a Halo or Bungie fan and have never played Marathon then really, shame on you.

They're everywhere!

ZiggyPastorius
Nov 25, 2008, 09:31 PM
I have to ressurect this thread, because I love Marathon.

Simply put, Doom never interested me, and I'm no gamer by any means. Yet, Marathon is entertaining and even somewhat captivating. But, it's so goddamn hard! I can't even get past the third level. I'm not giving up, though. I've never been good at FPSes, and maybe one day I'll be able to get through Marathon. *sigh* Great game, though.

Huntn
Nov 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
I have to ressurect this thread, because I love Marathon.

Simply put, Doom never interested me, and I'm no gamer by any means. Yet, Marathon is entertaining and even somewhat captivating. But, it's so goddamn hard! I can't even get past the third level. I'm not giving up, though. I've never been good at FPSes, and maybe one day I'll be able to get through Marathon. *sigh* Great game, though.

Are you using a mouse? ;) I'm trying to remember if there is a use for a Second Click in that game. If so, I'd say two button mouse. :)

ZiggyPastorius
Nov 25, 2008, 10:18 PM
Are you using a mouse? ;) I'm trying to remember if there is a use for a Second Click in that game. If so, I'd say two button mouse. :)

I use trackpad. I'm curious to try it without any mouse function at all, though I'm already really bad at FPSes, even with a mouse. There is a function, though, yes. For example, the automatic machine gun thing has a grenade launcher as its second fire.

Chone
Nov 25, 2008, 10:36 PM
I use trackpad. I'm curious to try it without any mouse function at all, though I'm already really bad at FPSes, even with a mouse. There is a function, though, yes. For example, the automatic machine gun thing has a grenade launcher as its second fire.

Marathon was meant to be played without a mouse, I played through the trilogy using only the keyboard and it's just fine, it's even more fun because mouse control is pretty jerky and imprecise and just feels unnatural.

Another rule of thumb (and of a vidmaster) is to not use caps lock as your run key :)

I played with control as my run key, space main fire, alt sec fire, z-x strafing, c-d looking up and down, tab use key, 7-9 weapon switch, 4-5-6-8 movement.

Seeing this thread again makes me want to fire up Aleph One.

ZiggyPastorius
Nov 26, 2008, 06:09 AM
Marathon was meant to be played without a mouse, I played through the trilogy using only the keyboard and it's just fine, it's even more fun because mouse control is pretty jerky and imprecise and just feels unnatural.

Another rule of thumb (and of a vidmaster) is to not use caps lock as your run key :)

I played with control as my run key, space main fire, alt sec fire, z-x strafing, c-d looking up and down, tab use key, 7-9 weapon switch, 4-5-6-8 movement.

Seeing this thread again makes me want to fire up Aleph One.

Well, I have an eight-hour car trip this morning, so perhaps I'll work on playing without the mouse.

Randman
Nov 26, 2008, 07:13 AM
Wow, memories. We used to play this at work (Mac-based newspaper). About a half dozen of us would start up at midnight and play all night long. We even tried getting some mini-games in on breaks till some people played solo games DURING work (I may have been one) and they put a kibbosh on it.

econoline06
Nov 26, 2008, 09:41 AM

sccrrich

You do NOT need the original. Aleph One is a stand alone package.

Edit: Perhaps your statement was a bit misleading instead of incorrect. The Aleph One page has all the files you'll need to download, including the original game files as they are now abandonware.

econoline06
Nov 26, 2008, 09:42 AM
Well, I have an eight-hour car trip this morning, so perhaps I'll work on playing without the mouse.

No, no. I played Marathon back in the day and I used the mouse, and you can use the mouse in Aleph One as well.

job
Nov 26, 2008, 10:52 AM
I beat the original for the umpteenth time the other week and I'm playing through Durandal right now (both Aleph One.) Someday I'll get around to beating Infinity - although I never really got into it as much as the first two.

:D

The Red Wolf
Nov 26, 2008, 11:06 AM
Never will you find a more sinister way to finish a map than with a "Grenade Hop" and movable platforms. Most difficult and wonderful moment all at the same time in the Original Marathon. The story-lines were fantastic through all three games. Halo holds some elements of Marathon, such as the logos on ships/uniforms being the logos from Marathon. Cybermarine = Master Chief anyone?

ZiggyPastorius
Nov 26, 2008, 02:43 PM
No, no. I played Marathon back in the day and I used the mouse, and you can use the mouse in Aleph One as well.

Oh, yes, I understand this. I'm just taking the advice of the classic Marathon-ers and trying it without the mouse. I've used the mouse/trackpad all this time. I'm slowly making my way through it, but we're at a rest stop place right now, and every time I try to play Marathon, it makes me sick after a little bit. I'm starting to get the hang of it without the mouse, but I'm nowhere near as precise. Perhaps with practice. :D

cured.not.dried
Nov 29, 2008, 02:56 PM
i think we should start playing this one like we would a modern FPS, that way the pieces available for the engine would evolve, continuing the legacy into the next generation of gaming/story presentation. i feel like the suspension of disbelief is more thick when the control scheme is more natural. i guess i just forget i'm sitting in front of a computer with a mouse and keyboard sometimes...

EVIL was my favorite - so creepy. i remember THAT being the first game that made me jump. Rubicon was a bit too mazelike... Tempus Irae was pretty interesting for some reason (da vinci, time travel and such).

has anyone else heard the sample for the raising platform in any movies recently?? i've been hearing THAT specific sound a lot. the ambient bird calls are strikingly familiar too...

chinajon
Jan 31, 2014, 03:46 AM
Mac Version of AlephOne (Marathon Engine) is now 1.1 (January 31, 2014 )
This will run on Mavericks.

Link to AO: http://sourceforge.net/projects/marathon/

Links for other platforms are also on that page.

;) :p

Huntn
Jan 31, 2014, 09:08 PM
The original Marathon is available to play for free on iPad. There are upgrades that cost $.99 each, one is for upgraded graphics, the other is for more game options, one of which is saving anytime instead of only at a save station. I've found the standard graphics acceptable, but the controls are a bit awkward as compared to keyboard mouse. Don't know if I'll continue it.

GSVNotInvented
Feb 6, 2014, 04:24 AM
*getting a flashback to college*

"They're everywhere!!!" then BOOM! Loved those exploding Bobs. :D

"Frogblast the Ventcore!!!!!"

Marathon/ AlephOne was the king of LAN play. I 'turned' a Quake team to the hillarious antics of Infinity King of the Hill on custom maps :)

I have never experienced another FPS that was so frantic! All modern games seem like you are running through treacle.

beowulf70
Feb 6, 2014, 05:40 AM
Damn... loved Marathon. We used to play 10 player LAN games at work. Double shotgun was the best :cool:

Solomani
Feb 6, 2014, 11:16 AM
Updated Marathon Game (OSX, Windows, PS4, XBone) + Bungie Kickstarter = I'm dreaming?! Right? Right?

No doubt, such a Kickstarter could break funding records for a game. hehe

Huntn
Feb 9, 2014, 05:15 PM
Damn... loved Marathon. We used to play 10 player LAN games at work. Double shotgun was the best :cool:

I used to get such an adrenaline rush when in the zone with double shotguns... :)

Dirtyharry50
Feb 9, 2014, 07:36 PM
Updated Marathon Game (OSX, Windows, PS4, XBone) + Bungie Kickstarter = I'm dreaming?! Right? Right?

No doubt, such a Kickstarter could break funding records for a game. hehe

I like that fancy new avatar you are sporting there. Very nice! :D

Solomani
Feb 9, 2014, 08:18 PM
I like that fancy new avatar you are sporting there. Very nice! :D

Ehehehehe. You noticed! :D

Mr_Brightside_@
Feb 9, 2014, 11:36 PM
Finally, my sig comes in handy :cool:

devinci99
Feb 9, 2014, 11:46 PM
Oh, yes, I understand this. I'm just taking the advice of the classic Marathon-ers and trying it without the mouse. I've used the mouse/trackpad all this time. I'm slowly making my way through it, but we're at a rest stop place right now, and every time I try to play Marathon, it makes me sick after a little bit. I'm starting to get the hang of it without the mouse, but I'm nowhere near as precise. Perhaps with practice. :D

Aahh.

My campus was primary a mac campus, and our dorms would host Marathon and Warcraft II games and tournaments. I got into the WCII first, but later Marathon.

The keys frustrated me... but i kept playing because they needed someone to be last place, and that's me. I then started experimenting with mouse and keyboard and people thought I was crazy. "You're not suppose to play with a mouse!" I would get.

But it didn't help much at first w/o a crosshair. Then I had a brilliant idea. I start with a little tissue paper and water and stuck a wait little piece on my monitor as a cross hair, then my world changed.

And
Feb 16, 2014, 02:46 PM
Ehehehehe. You noticed! :D

Is the username a traveller reference or is it used elsewhere?

Tymmz
Feb 16, 2014, 03:19 PM
Aahh.

My campus was primary a mac campus, and our dorms would host Marathon and Warcraft II games and tournaments. I got into the WCII first, but later Marathon.

The keys frustrated me... but i kept playing because they needed someone to be last place, and that's me. I then started experimenting with mouse and keyboard and people thought I was crazy. "You're not suppose to play with a mouse!" I would get.

But it didn't help much at first w/o a crosshair. Then I had a brilliant idea. I start with a little tissue paper and water and stuck a wait little piece on my monitor as a cross hair, then my world changed.

haha, that's amazing!

Solomani
Feb 17, 2014, 11:10 AM
Is the username a traveller reference or is it used elsewhere?

GDW's Traveller, yes. The most classic Sci-Fi RPG. :D

And
Feb 17, 2014, 01:55 PM
GDW's Traveller, yes. The most classic Sci-Fi RPG. :D

Traveller, the only game where you could die in char creation!:rolleyes:

Solomani
Feb 17, 2014, 10:22 PM
Traveller, the only game where you could die in char creation!:rolleyes:

I loved the fact that you had to be familiar with (at least) high school algebra, trigonometry and geometry in order to understand the Starship Combat rules.