PDA

View Full Version : Power MAC rumor from Appleinsider

Eric_Z
Jun 15, 2003, 02:05 PM
I don't know if this is trustworthy but I find it interesting nevertheless.

Hi, obviously I'm new here, and without a track record my info may seem tenuous to some. I can divulge neither whence nor when this info originated without putting trusted friends in danger. I'm showing the info I'm comfortable putting up now, but it's essentially the "tip of the iceberg" of what I do know, in a way. This is why I'm so confident of it.

No new (970) Powermacs at WWDC. I don't know where all these other rumors come from, but 970 Powermacs are NOT currently in production, or at least, they are only gearing up the lines. Maybe the rumors meant PPC 970 production, which is in full swing. But obviously there's a significant lag between the time when a CPU rolls out of the Fishkill plant's driveway, and when a 970 Powermac rolls into an Apple warehouse.

The Powermacs will be shipping by September--I don't know when they will be announced. Probably in August. I don't know the name, maybe G5, but my source(s) were skeptical of the G5 rumor. The specs are the interesting part, because Apple will fragment the "pro" line in an effort to respond to the demands for a consumer tower.

There will be 2 cases and 2 different mobos.

Smaller case "222": Single PPC 970 CPUs, 4 DDR RAM slots, AGP 8X, 2 PCI slots (yes, same PCI as now). 2 optical drive bays. Serial ATA with room for 2 HDs.

Larger case "666": Dual PPC 970 CPUs, one bank of RAM for each CPU with 6 RAM slots each, AGP 8X, 6 PCI slots. 2 optical drive bays. Two Serial ATA channels with room for 6 HDs. This mobo has a few other perks compared to the 222, and they will be a nice surprise in their own right.

Both boards are based on Hyper Transport, which is used "liberally". ;)

Apparently the 222 will be aimed a bit below the current Powermacs, while the 666 is intended for a market above the current Powermacs. Apple's feedback among Powermac users can be divided into 2 groups: one for which the current towers are too restricting, and one for which the current towers are overkill, and very little middle ground. So Apple is going to try and fulfill everyone's expectations. :)

These Powermacs will show up at WWDC, but only behind closed-door NDA sessions. Much like the G4 Macs, Apple is giving developers a preview so they can prepare for their introduction later on. Mass seeding (project "Appleseeder" will begin at WWDC, first with top-tier developers, then down the line.

I know nothing about the PPC 970-based Powerbooks, except that they will appear after the 970 Powermacs. Personally I think this means MWSF 04, but maybe later, we'll see. 970 iMacs? To be rolled into the next generation iMac, I'm told, but as for when that is, who knows?

Dapper Dan out.

Sun Baked
Jun 15, 2003, 02:22 PM
Definitely the OPPOSITE of the French rumors, which not have the machines shipped to the stores (with a do not open til 6/24 stickers).

redAPPLE
Jun 15, 2003, 02:28 PM
really interesting. as far as i am concerned, this sounds more real, than those mcbid rumors.

well, as a lover of Apple gadgets and software, of course i would love to see the next generation powermacs ASAP.

but it would really be suicide if Apple does not bring out the 'new' powerbooks ASAP.

the only way i can think of to not piss off Apple users, almost switchers, and Apple buyers is to bring out a dual PB.

redAPPLE
Jun 15, 2003, 02:29 PM
the french rumors did not really say how large this boxes are, did they?

are they even in boxes?

the future
Jun 15, 2003, 03:22 PM
True or not, it sounds like a very good idea to have the Pro line split like this, cheaper towers for 'normal' consumers/prosumers, really powerful (and expensive) towers for the real pros.

daveg5
Jun 15, 2003, 03:24 PM
the french rumours said 2 motherboards also, 1 dual and what single, the only diff is that one says they are boxed and ready and the other is not so sure.
the two tier sound plausable like the 8600/9600-8500/9500 days.
however i thought it would be cheaper if apple only had one mother board.
maybe this is the low price cube tower everyone wanted. hopefully bluetooth,firewire800, usb2, on both.
i would like to upgrade my blue and white g3 with 2 pci slots i will have room for my sound cards i have 2 but not my ata 133 card, or scsi card. hopefully they will have a sata to ata 133 converter and i will just have to keep one sound card the rev 7.1 out and keep the pro card in.

job
Jun 15, 2003, 03:46 PM
I'm guessing an announcement at WWDC with Sept. ship dates.

And you can quote me on that. ;)

cubist
Jun 15, 2003, 03:47 PM
In subsequent discussion on AI, some posters voiced the opinion that this person had registered previously and submitted similar information. His writing style is distinctive (for example, few people use adverbs so liberally).

Ugg
Jun 15, 2003, 06:28 PM
This sounds pretty realistic, especially the 222 and 666 part with September as first delivery. I really do think that an update to the 15" powerbook will happen, if for no other reason than to bring it in line with the 12 and 17 even if it is just a G4, they might add the backlit keyboard, etc.

Nermal
Jun 15, 2003, 07:52 PM
I would never buy a computer called 666. In fact I remember the processor makers marketing their processors as 667 MHz to avoid any negative connotations.

jimthorn
Jun 15, 2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
I would never buy a computer called 666. In fact I remember the processor makers marketing their processors as 667 MHz to avoid any negative connotations.

I'm sure that even if this rumor is true, "222" and "666" are only internal code-names, not what the final products will be called.

redAPPLE
Jun 16, 2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by cubist
In subsequent discussion on AI, some posters voiced the opinion that this person had registered previously and submitted similar information. His writing style is distinctive (for example, few people use adverbs so liberally).

i maybe a lil bit slow today, but...

what were you saying? that this info is plausible?

MisterMe
Jun 16, 2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by redAPPLE
i maybe a lil bit slow today, but...

what were you saying? that this info is plausible? It is my understanding that they believe the opposite. The suspect veteran poster with the new alias is posting more crap.

e-coli
Jun 16, 2003, 08:33 AM
I would never buy a computer called 666.

Well that seems awfully superstitious and rediculous to me.

Then again, my office is on the 13th floor. ;)

I don't understand the "targeted below the current PowerMacs". There isn't a whole lot "below" to be targeting. They're such old tech as it is.

job
Jun 16, 2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by e-coli
I don't understand the "targeted below the current PowerMacs". There isn't a whole lot "below" to be targeting. They're such old tech as it is.

Price maybe?

A sub-1K or thereabouts tower?

*drool*

phgreer
Jun 16, 2003, 09:13 AM

Maybe because it's such a beast! :D

Golem
Jun 16, 2003, 10:45 AM

A lower spec tower would be aimed at the ex cube, headless imac market.

I would be a good example of the market for that.

Hmmm Rough history of work machines would be

mac II....Quadra 840av,8100/80 Tower,Tower,Tower..... Cube,tower and Tower 867 currently.

Now all I have ever put in my PCI slots has been a SCSI card or way back graphics cards and I havent even bothered to put that in for last couple years. I used to go for the top tower but now the bottom is good enough for normal work and if its going to take hours I shove it on a pc server anyway.

But I have never considering going with an imac simply because I want a larger screen and while I have 15 month old 17'' currently within a year I am sure I will be running a 20''

So yea I would definitily be in the market for a lower spec Tower for work. Just hurry up and bring out a decent 15'' pbook for personal use.

DavidFDM
Jun 16, 2003, 12:27 PM
Those sound good to me.

Give me a dual-processor version of the 222 with a video-card that supports 2 screens and I'll be happy as a clam.

I am thinking about a new monitor. Should I get a 20" or 23" LCD?

yzedf
Jun 16, 2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by DavidFDM
Those sound good to me.

Give me a dual-processor version of the 222 with a video-card that supports 2 screens and I'll be happy as a clam.

I am thinking about a new monitor. Should I get a 20" or 23" LCD?
20" and a 17" maybe? Same price as 23" if I remember right...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70802/wo/St1umylC1Gl12OeOay62OeNTzRQ/0.0.5.1.0.5.21.1.2.1.3.0.0.1.0

Looks good to me ;)

Of course, I always look at pixel density, and try to buy the highest I can afford (clarity of image is a big thing for me).

Kid Red
Jun 16, 2003, 01:48 PM
It was a hoax. The mods discovered the IPs were that of a regular member there pretending to be another poster. He's done this in the past, made an identity and then posted crap.

Nothing to see here, everything was BS, move along.

applemacdude
Jun 16, 2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
It was a hoax. The mods discovered the IPs were that of a regular member there pretending to be another poster. He's done this in the past, made an identity and then posted crap.

Nothing to see here, everything was BS, move along.

and how do u know this?

Kid Red
Jun 16, 2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
and how do u know this?

Read the first sentence again, 'the mods discovered'. To be more literal, they posted their discoveries and locked the thread.