Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
I just tried pluging in an external monitor to my iBook 500 (16mb video) and it sets the res to 800x600.

Why cant I have it at 1024x768? (the monitor supports 1280x1024 and above)

I searched the foruns and found some hack to enable spanning, I dont want that, just mirror my standard res. =(

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: iBook ex-VGA at 1024x768

Originally posted by slowtreme
I just tried pluging in an external monitor to my iBook 500 (16mb video) and it sets the res to 800x600.

Why cant I have it at 1024x768? (the monitor supports 1280x1024 and above)

I searched the foruns and found some hack to enable spanning, I dont want that, just mirror my standard res. =(

The iBook 500 never came with more than 8MB of VRAM...

But anyway, did you try pressing "detect displays" in the Displays control panel?

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
my bad, it was a typo... iBook 600 like my sig

Yes detect display and all that jazz. I downloaded rezswitcher X or something and it allowed me to set my rez, but I really dont want to pay for the shareware just to get something that is supported by default. (apparently it expires in 10 days)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
the original 500mhz dual usb ibook did come with 8mb, and it stayed that way for about a year, until they came out with 600 and 700 mhz ibooks, with 16 mb or vram. you are both wrong. now back to his original question. have you tried unchecking recommended modes in the display panel. try it and let us know if it helps.

iJon

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
The 600mhz CDROM only came with 16megs of vram, the 600mhz COMBO, did not.... it came with 8 only... the 600 meg CDROM was the lowend for the 700mhz(Combo) ibooks that came with 16........check verson tracker if u dont belelve me...He says he has the combo version, which doesent have 16megs vram....

I just checked, i have that same computer and i plugged it into a vga monitor and it showed the normal 1042 x 768... i dont know, try unclicking the box that says show all modes recommended by display.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Huked on Fonick
The 600mhz CDROM only came with 16megs of vram, the 600mhz COMBO, did not.... it came with 8 only... the 600 meg CDROM was the lowend for the 700mhz(Combo) ibooks that came with 16........check verson tracker if u dont belelve me...He says he has the combo version, which doesent have 16megs vram....

I just checked, i have that same computer and i plugged it into a vga monitor and it showed the normal 1042 x 768... i dont know, try unclicking the box that says show all modes recommended by display.
sorry got ahead of myself. i was just referring to the 600 in gernal, not specifying drives.

iJon

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
I think the trouble is with the video adapter cable that comes with the iBook not being able to tell what resolutions the monitor is capable of. When I plug external monitors into my iBook it switches to 800x600 automatically, but when I switch it to a higher resolution it does fine.

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
Originally posted by coolsoldier
I think the trouble is with the video adapter cable that comes with the iBook not being able to tell what resolutions the monitor is capable of. When I plug external monitors into my iBook it switches to 800x600 automatically, but when I switch it to a higher resolution it does fine.

mine doesent do that, but mine is not set u autopic for the display...

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
Wow so much confusion. I come from the PC world, where there is no such thing as distinctive models. You get the options you want, and when you want more you change it.

My iBook WAS a 600mhz with a CDROM. I swapped out the CDROM with a Combo drive myself. Either way, it's got 16mb VRAM according to the about my Mac dialog.

When I remove the shareware control panel I installed I lose the option to choose other res. Just like coolsoldier. But unchecking and checking all options doesn't seem to change anything in terms of what res I can use when the external is plugged in. Both displays drop to 800x600 (and it's horribly fuzzy)

I'll keep playing with it. Thanks guys

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
Originally posted by slowtreme
Wow so much confusion. I come from the PC world, where there is no such thing as distinctive models. You get the options you want, and when you want more you change it.

My iBook WAS a 600mhz with a CDROM. I swapped out the CDROM with a Combo drive myself. Either way, it's got 16mb VRAM according to the about my Mac dialog.

When I remove the shareware control panel I installed I lose the option to choose other res. Just like coolsoldier. But unchecking and checking all options doesn't seem to change anything in terms of what res I can use when the external is plugged in. Both displays drop to 800x600 (and it's horribly fuzzy)

I'll keep playing with it. Thanks guys

if you apply the hack thats lets ur span monitors, it will also let u pick what resalution you want to display on that monitor.......just thought i would let u know....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.