PDA

View Full Version : Age of Empires III

jtam
Apr 9, 2007, 02:39 PM
I just purchased this game for my son to use on his 3 year old iMAC G4 and thought it would work. I got home and was reading the requirements and see that it might not. Does anyone know if it will or not? His computer is an iMac PowerPC G4 - as purchased - 1GHz, with 512MB RAM and 32MB nvidia (I think this is the problem??????) The game's box says it requires a 64MB Video card, but I didn't know if it might work anyway???

Sorry - I don't know much about video card requirements and gaming- I prob. sound like an idiot.

applekid
Apr 9, 2007, 02:47 PM
Yes, the game is too graphically intensive for that poor iMac. You can try running with the command button down, I believe. Some Aspyr games used that workaround to bypass any system requirement checks.

You should let him play it on one of those machines in your sig. :D

jtam
Apr 9, 2007, 06:16 PM
Yes, the game is too graphically intensive for that poor iMac. You can try running with the command button down, I believe. Some Aspyr games used that workaround to bypass any system requirement checks.

You should let him play it on one of those machines in your sig. :D

LOL. Yes, I'll prob. have to let him use my imac. Just got my MBP, so that's off limits :) Not sure that the Powerbook would handle it. Maybe he can try it.

Cabbit
Apr 9, 2007, 07:12 PM
it wont work it needs at least a shader model 1.3 graphics card. Thats a Geforce 4 Ti, not the Geforce 2/4 MX in the imac. And even with a proper Geforce 4 prefomance is very poor even on lowest settings you require something like a 9600 or geforce 6200 higher to play without slowdowns and with some sort of playable settings. You are best to give up on Age of empires 3 and play age of empires 2.

applekid
Apr 10, 2007, 02:15 PM
LOL. Yes, I'll prob. have to let him use my imac. Just got my MBP, so that's off limits :) Not sure that the Powerbook would handle it. Maybe he can try it.

Definitely the iMac Core Duo. I played the demo on my MacBook Pro and it runs quite well at 1440 x 900. You can turn up a couple of settings, but not too many and still keep the frame rate steady.

mattscott306
Apr 10, 2007, 02:17 PM
Definitely the iMac Core Duo. I played the demo on my MacBook Pro and it runs quite well at 1440 x 900. You can turn up a couple of settings, but not too many and still keep the frame rate steady.

You played the demo in bootcamp? or is there a Mac demo version I didn't know about?

j26
Apr 10, 2007, 02:24 PM
You played the demo in bootcamp? or is there a Mac demo version I didn't know about?

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/03/aoe3demo/index.php

Just found it myself now.

There goes my study plans :( :D

Eric5h5
Apr 10, 2007, 03:43 PM
...And it's just been announced that the expansion (The Warchiefs) is being ported to the Mac too.

--Eric

cazlar
Apr 28, 2007, 12:37 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just wanted to add I tried the demo on my revB 12" PB (FX5200Go I believe), and although it complained about the CPU (1000<1150) and GPU memory (32<64), you can override both of these by holding "p" and "v" down at startup (I guessed the last one!). Once I turned down the video options, the game seemed to run pretty fine.

So if you aren't sure about running it on an older mac, definitely give the demo a try.

As for the game, it seems to involve a bit too much micromanagement for my tastes. Or maybe I'm just bad at it!

Vidd
Apr 28, 2007, 08:23 PM
...And it's just been announced that the expansion (The Warchiefs) is being ported to the Mac too.

--Eric
I've just noticed 2 new games in the Apple store too.
Has gaming on Macs possibly picked up a little even with Bootcamp available?