PDA

View Full Version : Any Serial ATA Cards?

madamimadam
Jun 16, 2003, 02:29 AM
I want to get in before the boom and start selling serial ATA cards and drives... only problem is that I can't find any cards with MacOS support... anyone know one?

Also, a RAID card is prefered since I see that RAID is the only real value for serial ATA at the moment.

hvfsl
Jun 16, 2003, 04:15 PM
There is no point in getting a Serial ATA PCI card since it would not be as fast as the built in IDE controller. Only new Hyper Transport Macs will see the speed benfits of S-ATA. Also S-ATA is not capable of RAID at the moment.

noverflow
Jun 16, 2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by hvfsl
There is no point in getting a Serial ATA PCI card since it would not be as fast as the built in IDE controller. Only new Hyper Transport Macs will see the speed benfits of S-ATA. Also S-ATA is not capable of RAID at the moment.

sorry, this is wrong.
pc motherboards support sata raid.

I too have been looking for such a card.

i care about the air flow not the speed.

LethalWolfe
Jun 16, 2003, 05:26 PM
Currently SATA will only provide a speed boost over PATA if you get the 10k S ATA HDDs. The speed bottle neck of 7200RPM IDE HDDs are the drives themselves not the bandwidth between them and the rest of the computer. Unless you get a higher spinning drive you won't notice any difference between SATA and PATA.

Lethal

crazzyeddie
Jun 16, 2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by noverflow
sorry, this is wrong.

Just get rounded ATA cables... you can buy them online.

madamimadam
Jun 16, 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by noverflow
sorry, this is wrong.

Correct... while I am still looking for a Mac compatibile card, I know Adaptec make both a standard and RAID PCI card for Windows. Might point out, though, I would not buy one myself, I just want to sell them to those who do want to buy one.