PDA

View Full Version : The Definitive C&C 3 Thread: Tiberium Wars

LastLine
Apr 10, 2007, 10:01 AM
So as we're getting loads of threads on this game so far I figured we might as well cumulate it - if you're running the game on a Mac under boot camp, post and let us know your spec (Processor, Ram, Graphics) so we can collate it in htis first post for newcomers.

On another point - how about a MacRumors clan for it? :) My online name's LastLine if anyone fancies a game?

MRockatansky
Apr 11, 2007, 05:35 PM
Running CnC 3 under boot camp. Runs just fine. I'm addicted to it. I have to run it at the default graphics settings. anything higher makes it lag. The high graphics settings even made my buddy's Dell XPS gaming rig stutter under the full load, so I don't feel too bad about the performace of my 128 MB ATI setup in the MBP. Ive got the 2.16 GHz model with 2 GB of ram, running XP with boot camp.

EvryDayImShufln
Apr 12, 2007, 09:10 AM
I;m running this on a 2.33ghz C2D MBP with 2 gigs of ram and the 160gig hard drive. It runs very well on the 256 MB memory card. I run it at full res (1440 x 900) because I want the max viewing space possible, but this makes me have to turn down the graphics to about mid-high.

My name is also F1400 online so give me a shout if you see me!

La Curandera
Apr 28, 2007, 10:19 AM
Sorry to drag the thread up again :)

I'm toying between the Imac 20 and 24, but seriously want to play C&C3 on whatever I get.

Would the 20" 's x1600 be OK at 128mb or is 256mb "required"

On the 24" - how would it look? can the 7300 handle it at the native or would you need the 7600, and even then struggle?

What are the resolutions available in C&C3, or is it hackable via the .ini as before?

Last Q (I promise :) )

I'm presuming here that bootcamp is completely OK with networking to other M$ PCs? It's probably a stupid question but wanted to check being a noob to Macs.

Thanks in advance...

Chone
Apr 28, 2007, 11:20 AM
Sorry to drag the thread up again :)

I'm toying between the Imac 20 and 24, but seriously want to play C&C3 on whatever I get.

Would the 20" 's x1600 be OK at 128mb or is 256mb "required"

On the 24" - how would it look? can the 7300 handle it at the native or would you need the 7600, and even then struggle?

What are the resolutions available in C&C3, or is it hackable via the .ini as before?

Last Q (I promise :) )

I'm presuming here that bootcamp is completely OK with networking to other M$ PCs? It's probably a stupid question but wanted to check being a noob to Macs.

Thanks in advance...

The 20" iMac will perform better simply because its native res is lower than the 24" iMac.

Simply put, many games can't run native res on the 20", let alone on the 24", but a scaled res like 1280x800 will look much better on a 20" than a 24".

Unless you need the real estate, go 20".

dogbait
Apr 28, 2007, 06:10 PM
Runs fine at 1920x1200, High settings on a Mac Pro 2.66 with x1900 graphics card.

The game also runs well on the same Mac Pro using a 7300GT card at 1680x1050 on medium settings.

La Curandera
Apr 29, 2007, 10:05 AM
The 20" iMac will perform better simply because its native res is lower than the 24" iMac.

Simply put, many games can't run native res on the 20", let alone on the 24", but a scaled res like 1280x800 will look much better on a 20" than a 24".

Unless you need the real estate, go 20".

I actually never thought of that, but good point.

I only want the 24 because it's the biggest, and by their nature I don't want to get a 20 and spend two years wishing I hadn't.

However, considering all I'll really be using it for is DTP, text editing, browsing and the odd game (namely C&C3 and COD2), perhaps 20 might be better after all.

Looks like 20 + the 256upgrade is the goer.

Thanks

MrMacMan
Apr 29, 2007, 09:35 PM
I'm running a 2.33 C2D, 2GB Ram MPB.

Game runs fairly nicely (although I have only run the demo so far).

I think i prefer the GDI over Nod (you can actually play both in the demo in the skirmish mode).

I love C&C games. :D

dmw007
Apr 29, 2007, 10:22 PM
C&C runs well on my parent's custom built 3GHz Pentium 4, 1GB DDR400, 256MB GeForce 7600GT, XP. Great game! :)

booksacool1
Apr 30, 2007, 07:12 AM
CnC:TW will run reasonably well on almost anything. Its surprisingly backwards compatible, I run it on mid-high on my two year old dell laptop (6800go).

To be honest, the level of graphics disappointed me a little, compared to awesome new games like supreme commander or Commander of heroes.

dmw007
May 3, 2007, 06:55 AM
CnC:TW will run reasonably well on almost anything. Its surprisingly backwards compatible, I run it on mid-high on my two year old dell laptop (6800go).

Well, a 6800go is still a good video card for a laptop. :)

Keebler
May 9, 2007, 07:34 PM
hey folks,

so what you're saying is that i should really get off my a$$, finish some projects so i have time to install boot camp, windows xp and play this game on my stock mac pro 2.66? :) i'm trying to find a cheaper version instead of taking a hit at the store. i'm planning on trading in some games for a used copy at EB Boutique.... just need the time to make it all happen :)

Cheers,
Keebler

tped
May 27, 2007, 11:40 PM
I've installed the game, but whenever I click on the "play" button the game doesn't load/run whatever.

I'm running it on an Intel Imac 20' (early 2006). I've installed the latest Bootcamp (1.2)

kumbaya
May 28, 2007, 07:53 AM
I've installed the game, but whenever I click on the "play" button the game doesn't load/run whatever.

I'm running it on an Intel Imac 20' (early 2006). I've installed the latest Bootcamp (1.2)

in the manual there should be a number for customer support for Electronic Arts. try giving them a call - they are supposed to help you!

:apple: :)

FleurDuMal
May 28, 2007, 07:59 AM
Any ideas on how this would run on an 17" MBP at native resolution with the 256mb x1600 and 2GB RAM?

dmw007
May 28, 2007, 10:08 AM
Any ideas on how this would run on an 17" MBP at native resolution with the 256mb x1600 and 2GB RAM?

It should run nicely on your MacBook Pro FleurDuMal. :)

FleurDuMal
May 28, 2007, 10:19 AM
It should run nicely on your MacBook Pro FleurDuMal. :)

Thanks.

I don't have one...yet ;)

dmw007
May 28, 2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks.

I don't have one...yet ;)

Oops...

...well, when you get one, it should run just fine on it. :p :)

tped
May 29, 2007, 02:30 AM
in the manual there should be a number for customer support for Electronic Arts. try giving them a call - they are supposed to help you!

:apple: :)

Yeah, I emailed them twice. Their response was, "we don't support Windows XP running under Bootcamp." NICE ANSWER!!! I'll leave it to you're imagination what my reply was to that.

Anyway, I think I found a solution - I read on another forum of another user who
was having a similar problem, which he located to the DAT file being accessed by the DVD drive whenever you start up the game. I downloaded the NODVD patch for 1.4 from *cough* another sight. And guess what ?? It worked!:)

Kirmu
Jun 1, 2007, 09:43 AM
Whenever I played this game, it always crashed after 10-15 minutes. It showed the direct3D error with a few address, then I went to download ATI Catalyst driver 7.4. It goes well during campaign but when on network, it crashes again when I was playing like 15 minutes.

Does anyone have the same problem? I have the latest boot camp 1.2 installed.

statikcat
Jun 1, 2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I emailed them twice. Their response was, "we don't support Windows XP running under Bootcamp." NICE ANSWER!!! I'll leave it to you're imagination what my reply was to that.

Anyway, I think I found a solution - I read on another forum of another user who
was having a similar problem, which he located to the DAT file being accessed by the DVD drive whenever you start up the game. I downloaded the NODVD patch for 1.4 from *cough* another sight. And guess what ?? It worked!:)

Their tech support is ignorant. Running Xp on a Mac is no different than a Dell really. Wow great help.. they should at least try and help you as if you were not on Bootcamp first. Bootcamp should only be used as a no-help excuse as a last resort when other normal options have been exhausted.

The game runs fine on my MBP. It takes up to 30s w/ black screen to load after I launch the game though. Maybe you just need to wait.

chadi
Jun 3, 2007, 07:19 PM
Maybe it's the high resolution of the notebook screens that cause it too lag after you turn up the details...

Alot of the PC gaming magazines pointed out that the game requirements were modest compared to a lot of current games. On my pc (which is still sitting in the corner looking for a new home) with the 8800GTX 768MB video card 2GB of ram and an e6600 processor I can't get it to drop below the capped frame rate no matter how many units are on the screen.

I don't want to waste precious hard drive space on my macbook pro for bootcamp so we shall see if it runs under parallels 3.0 when that is released :) (and how poorly :O )

ellevy12
Jun 19, 2007, 02:09 PM
can i run it on parrlles on macbook 2.ghz ?

i try to play but it says directX problem. the ati card is to blame ????

Elad

Flaki
Jun 19, 2007, 02:54 PM
can i run it on parrlles on macbook 2.ghz ?

i try to play but it says directX problem. the ati card is to blame ????

Elad

i dont think so. but in bootcamp it may work

Freyqq
Jun 19, 2007, 05:36 PM
new mbp 128 nvidia version

~20 fps on ultra high no AA 1440x900 resolution

amazing game, scrin ftw

mcmadhatter
Jun 20, 2007, 06:39 AM
i dont think so. but in bootcamp it may work

Works on my 1.8 ghz macbook under parallels 3.0

I put some screenshots near the bottom of this post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=311579&page=2)

I get about 15 -20 fps so it is really only playable in 2 player skirmish mode

Keebler
Jun 20, 2007, 07:19 AM
i was about to hop in, but now that EA announced this is forthcoming for the mac....i'm waiting another month or so, but then i will be ALL over it :)

Spartan-117
Jun 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
new mbp 128 nvidia version

~20 fps on ultra high no AA 1440x900 resolution

amazing game, scrin ftw

under bootcamp ?

or paralles :eek: lool

Flaki
Jun 20, 2007, 12:15 PM
under bootcamp ?

or paralles :eek: lool

It's under bootcamp

koops
Aug 13, 2007, 09:34 AM
I'm running this game on XP bootcamp, I have been running it at full res (1400 x 900) and all settings on high and there is no lag at all, great game!

EvryDayImShufln
Aug 14, 2007, 01:20 PM
One key to good gaming performance is to jack the nvidia settings in the nvidia control panel to "performance" instead of quality. It makes a big difference, especially in tiberium wars.

cdubs1983
Aug 14, 2007, 08:08 PM
So I just bought a MacBook to "ease" into a Mac world, and I love it! Honestly, one of the very few reasons why I would buy a Win Machine was to play C&C! But then at MacWorld I heard the best news for my gaming fix-

MAC-NATIVE VERSION OF C&C TIBERIUM WARS!!

WOO HOO!! Relase in July!

But after that announcement and even as July Passed... no news, no website... the Mac C&C seemed to have gone AWOL right after its announcement...

Anyone know anything about C&C for Mac?

levitynyc
Aug 14, 2007, 08:51 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=333707

Dprime
Jan 19, 2008, 02:44 AM
Hey guys, I got this game today and am having a little trouble with it...

I have a
Macpro 2ghz dual
1gb ram
and 2x Nvidia 128mb video cards (each running 1 screen)

And to say the least the game runs like crap?!

The first problem is, around 50% of the time when I start the game up and press "play" it will come up with the box after that to indicate the game is loading and a couple of seconds later it will eject the CD off the desktop and come up with the "Cannot Locate the DVD ROM" message..

So I have to continually start and re-start it to get it to eventually pass that...

Second, it runs like absolute crap on anything but low (?!?!!)

And thirdly, when I exit the game, it screws around with my computer, locking it up, having the C&C mouse when I'm back into OSX instead of the normal mouse, and messing up my dock and menu bars...

Im not really happy at all considering it just cost me $99.95 (Australian) and from what Ive seen its full of bugs? Im guessing its something to do with my system, but can't understand what?

I understand that I need to upgrade my RAM, but it still should run alot better on atleast medium I would think considering some people are running it on Medium with laptops from what I have been reading..

Any help would be great,

Thanks in advance,
Brett

togermano
Jan 19, 2008, 10:35 AM

I have a
Macpro 2ghz dual
1gb ram

The first problem is, around 50% of the time when I start the game up and press "play" it will come up with the box after that to indicate the game is loading and a couple of seconds later it will eject the CD off the desktop and come up with the "Cannot Locate the DVD ROM" message..

So I have to continually start and re-start it to get it to eventually pass that...

And thirdly, when I exit the game, it screws around with my computer, locking it up, having the C&C mouse when I'm back into OSX instead of the normal mouse, and messing up my dock and menu bars...

Im not really happy at all considering it just cost me $99.95 (Australian) and from what Ive seen its full of bugs? Im guessing its something to do with my system, but can't understand what?

I understand that I need to upgrade my RAM, but it still should run alot better on atleast medium I would think considering some people are running it on Medium with laptops from what I have been reading..

Any help would be great,

Thanks in advance,
Brett
Did u get the latest update?

Dprime
Jan 19, 2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah I've updated it to 1.09.

Ive got it to run fairly reasonable on medium settings now, but it still lags a bit.

Freyqq
Jan 21, 2008, 10:54 PM
nvidia 7300 is horrible for games

its a budget card from over 3 years ago

Matari
Feb 29, 2008, 02:16 PM
My partner is looking for new user maps - but cannot find any that are mac compatible. So, do PC maps work? If so, any ideas on how to load them?

c4berfeidh
Mar 20, 2008, 10:34 PM

I have a
Macpro 2ghz dual
1gb ram

Any help would be great,

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Consider yourself lucky. I hit "play" on the start screen, and then I get a splash image and then...exactly dick. And EA is not helping.

Oh, yeah I patched, yeah I reinstalled...$60 and this is what I get?

MacNoobie
Mar 23, 2008, 08:49 AM
Ended up getting a new Mac Pro octocore 2.8 with the std 2GB of ram and installed XP SP2 in bootcamp and I modded a eVGA 8800GT superclocked edition and I can run C&C3 with Ultra Quality @ 2560x1600 with no problems.

thomanjones
Mar 24, 2008, 02:47 PM
Running the Wine-d Mac version - it's a flipbook at high, barely playable at medium, and runs full speed with all graphics on minimum. Only thing is the NOD nuke, if it's on screen when it hits, the game chokes for 30-120 seconds. Awesome game though, I just wish it a real Mac game instead of a port.

The online feature works well, though I get wtfpwned every single match :mad:

It's a much better 'family' game than WoW (my main addiction), since I can pause it.

tracksta6
Apr 6, 2008, 02:44 PM
I recently bought Tiberium Wars for my Macbook(2.4GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD). It plays great except for one issue, the screen tints the color of my units. When I begin with my command center everything looks normal, however as soon as I build my first unit (vehicle, infantry) the entire screen tints the color of my faction. If I move over an area that has no units, the screen is un-tinted and appears normal, furthermore, if I move over an enemies units the screen tints the color of their faction/base.

I have no idea why it does this and it is incredibly annoying to play with. When I look at other peoples screenshots everything looks normal. I can't seem to find any basic info on this online or in the games FAQs.

If anyone knows what I am talking about, or has any ideas on how to fix it, I would be very grateful.

Tracksta6

iriejedi
Apr 9, 2008, 03:27 PM
Finally got my new MacPro.... or should I say Intel Chip Set. I was crushed when this was an Intel Only game. But matured enough to not buy a new computer JUST for a game.... like in the old days... but when the G5 lost its mind (could no find its DIMMs)... I ordered it AND this game.

I hope it is all that I hope it will be. I'll report on the performance of the New Mac Pro 2.8 + 8800 vid card soon.

So Ka Cited!

I recently bought Tiberium Wars for my Macbook(2.4GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD). It plays great except for one issue, the screen tints the color of my units. When I begin with my command center everything looks normal, however as soon as I build my first unit (vehicle, infantry) the entire screen tints the color of my faction. If I move over an area that has no units, the screen is un-tinted and appears normal, furthermore, if I move over an enemies units the screen tints the color of their faction/base.

I have no idea why it does this and it is incredibly annoying to play with. When I look at other peoples screenshots everything looks normal. I can't seem to find any basic info on this online or in the games FAQs.

If anyone knows what I am talking about, or has any ideas on how to fix it, I would be very grateful.

Tracksta6

iriejedi
Apr 10, 2008, 11:10 AM
New patch 1.09 available. well it was new to me - mac game files only had 1.08

amtctt
Apr 29, 2008, 10:07 AM
can anyone confirm that the "mac" version still allows you to play against PC players? I'm pretty sure it does, but just wanted to make sure.

hancock
Apr 30, 2008, 08:07 PM
im running it on my new 2.5 ghz macbook pro w/ 512 mb ram in osx I can run it on all very high settings except anti-aliasing without lag. it looks great but my computer gets very warm and the fans make alot of noise so i play in high settings so that it doesnt make so much noise. Its really fun but if you get frustrated by not winning get the pc version so you can get the trainer for cheating. haha. :D