PDA

View Full Version : The Belated Cricket World Cup Thread

Jasonbot
Apr 10, 2007, 01:29 PM
A thread, for the world cup in West Indies.

I'm backing my country South Africa but honestly I think we might just scrape semi's and thats it. For the finals, maybe NZ vs. Australia? What does Macrumors think? Does anyone heer even watch cricket? I'll include a poll for that..

dalvin200
Apr 10, 2007, 01:34 PM
A thread, for the world cup in West Indies.

I'm backing my country South Africa but honestly I think we might just scrape semi's and thats it. For the finals, maybe NZ vs. Australia? What does Macrumors think? Does anyone heer even watch cricket? I'll include a poll for that..

i'm pissed that india are out.. but to be honest.. even if they got thru, they wouldn't of made the semi's!!

i see windies are in for a very tuff battle right now against your team JasonBot.

Like you Jason, predict the AUS vs NZ final.. but with the Kiwi's pulling it off.. they deserve it!!

England Bangladesh tomorrow.. should be good..

Jasonbot
Apr 10, 2007, 02:01 PM
i see windies are in for a very tuff battle right now against your team Jasonbot.

Yeah, showing the windies what we're made of... 5 sixes by Mark Boucher, 14x runs by AB de villiers, 3rd fastest 50 in the tournament...and that just the batting!

Although our performance vs. BAngladesh was a joke, I mean that game was so useless. unbelievable :eek:

pknz
Apr 10, 2007, 03:49 PM
I have to admit I haven't been watching as much of it as I should. Really only catching the ends of matches as they start at 1.15am. But on holiday now so should be able to see see NZ *hopefully* triumph.

Blue Velvet
Apr 10, 2007, 03:54 PM
Like you Jason, predict the AUS vs NZ final.. but with the Kiwi's pulling it off.. they deserve it!!

Of course they do; it'll be fitting revenge for the Chappell brothers' actions over 25 years ago. Some of us have long memories; not that I'm biased of course. ;)

Nothing like stuffing the Aussies; especially crabs.

kiwi-in-uk
Apr 10, 2007, 08:06 PM
Ah ... we all come out of the woodwork for this one! Where were you when THE ball was "bowled"? I was in my flat in Sydney. Couldn't believe it.

Anyway, another rah rah for NZ - I think they have an outside chance but Australia, as always, is very impressive.

Jasonbot
Apr 11, 2007, 02:58 AM
Of course they do; it'll be fitting revenge for the Chappell brothers' actions over 25 years ago. Some of us have long memories; not that I'm biased of course. ;)

Nothing like stuffing the Aussies; especially crabs.

:( That was before my time... Why wass this such an upset?

AlBDamned
Apr 11, 2007, 03:13 AM
It's been a pretty disappointing tournament up till now, not to mention Woolmer's death, but hopefully we can get some good games in the rest of the Super8 and the last four.

South Africa were overrated at the beginning of the tournament, as were England's chances, and Australia sorely understimated. The West Indies performed to expectations IMO.

The obvious choice would be Australia to win, but a very knowledgeable mate of mine has said New Zealand could well do it. I'd put Sri Lanka and the South Africa as third and fourth to win.

kiwi-in-uk
Apr 11, 2007, 03:34 AM
:( That was before my time... Why wass this such an upset?

In Wikipedia here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underarm_bowling_incident_1981).

One day game between Australia and NZ. It was the last ball of the last over to 10th batsman McKechnie. NZ needed six to tie and McKechnie (also an All Black) was a big hitter although usually short-lived at the crease. Greg Chappel - the captain - ordered is brother Trevor to bowl underarm to eliminate any possibility that McKechnie might hit the ball out of the ground.

Jasonbot
Apr 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
In Wikipedia here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underarm_bowling_incident_1981).

One day game between Australia and NZ. It was the last ball of the last over to 10th batsman McKechnie. NZ needed six to tie and McKechnie (also an All Black) was a big hitter although usually short-lived at the crease. Greg Chappel - the captain - ordered is brother Trevor to bowl underarm to eliminate any possibility that McKechnie might hit the ball out of the ground.

Wow, isn't that an illegal ball and should be counted as a no-ball? surely it can't be right. An offence to cricket and to the Australian team indeed:eek:

smurfjammer
Apr 11, 2007, 03:32 PM
Wow, isn't that an illegal ball and should be counted as a no-ball? surely it can't be right. An offence to cricket and to the Australian team indeed:eek:

Back in the day it wasn't but after the outcry they changed the rules...

Blue Velvet
Apr 11, 2007, 03:47 PM

He said for long after the affair there was silence in the dressing room, which was broken suddenly and unexpectedly by fellow player Mark Burgess smashing a tea cup.

Volatile and terrifying lot, us Kiwis. ;)

Just at a cursory glance, we've been underrated for this tournament by some commentators, including Jonathan Agnew.

He totally transforms what is otherwise a pretty ordinary, trundling team into one that has a cutting edge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/new_zealand/6377031.stm

AlBDamned
Apr 12, 2007, 12:03 AM
Volatile and terrifying lot, us Kiwis. ;)

Just at a cursory glance, we've been underrated for this tournament by some commentators, including Jonathan Agnew.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/new_zealand/6377031.stm

He praises Fleming too though. Aggers is a bit like the whole English team with his commentary. A bit hit and miss!! ;)

I think New Zealand have a tendency to instill a bit of doubt in teams, particularly England and Australia who they've beaten several times in the last couple of months. Ok, so the Chappel Hadley series was a damp squib, but NZ came very close to beating Australia in the CB series and they beat us there too.

They shouldn't be underestimated.

England had another poor showing today. We're not playing well at all.

Chundles
Apr 12, 2007, 12:25 AM
God it's taking ages. Still got over 2 weeks left. This one match per day thing is ridiculous.

Anyhoo, Go Straya. (pigeon coos in the background)

Bigheadache
Apr 12, 2007, 01:01 AM
Aust v NZ in the final. I fully expect everyone to talk up NZ's chances in the finals and then for Aust to respond with a repeat the 2003 World Cup final demolition job.

AlBDamned
Apr 12, 2007, 06:04 AM
God it's taking ages. Still got over 2 weeks left. This one match per day thing is ridiculous.

Yeah I agree, considering only 16 teams started it's a stupidly long tournament.

Jasonbot
Apr 12, 2007, 08:21 AM
I think just just have one match p/day because their entire population is so small that they can only fill one stadium and need to rotate/shift the crowd around the Islands.

Bigheadache
Apr 12, 2007, 09:02 AM
I think just just have one match p/day because their entire population is so small that they can only fill one stadium and need to rotate/shift the crowd around the Islands.

That doesn't really work in reality. People tend to follow the one team... I can't see Aussies or the barmy army flying to another island just to see sri lanka v Bangladesh or NZ v Ireland. I think the one match/per day was to keep the tv stations happy.

Don't panic
Apr 12, 2007, 10:52 AM

why? isn't the declared purpose of a cricket game to bore the opponents out of competition? same with the tourney

AlBDamned
Apr 12, 2007, 06:12 PM
Wow, Sri Lanka knock New Zealand about. Hmmm, they are looking mighty strong after this win. Knew I should have but Sangga or Jay in my fantasy cricket team!

Australia v Sri Lanka final anyone?

AlBDamned
Apr 12, 2007, 06:17 PM
why? isn't the declared purpose of a cricket game to bore the opponents out of competition? same with the tourney

Troll. ;)

jbernie
Apr 12, 2007, 06:44 PM
As an Aussie .. i will say we will win. We got our crap games out of the way losing to poms and kiwis in the one dayers back home and in NZ. Now that the rubbish games have been played it is full steam ahead.

The tournament is way too long. 2 games per day in the super 8s would be a huge improvement. I don't know who paid the $$$ to keep the games per day at the absolute minimum. Right about now we should be done with the super 8s. Yet the Aussies are playing through the 20th, only 3 games, including 1 tomorrow.

As to the finalists... Australia seems to strong right now, NZ was looking real good till that got spanked by Sri Lanka, England is borderline out, Sri Lanka seems to be doing good, a little quiet, Sth Africa embarassed themselves the other day. Of course... the semi finals will play into that... if the points go right the semis could be SA vs SL and AU vs NZ.

As good as it is for cricket to see Australia lose occasionally (the ashes) I'm not confident that any one team has been consistant enough in the WI to really beat them. Though stranger things have happened.

AlBDamned
Apr 13, 2007, 03:26 AM
As an Aussie .. i will say we will win. We got our crap games out of the way losing to poms and kiwis in the one dayers back home and in NZ. Now that the rubbish games have been played it is full steam ahead.

The tournament is way too long. 2 games per day in the super 8s would be a huge improvement. I don't know who paid the $$$ to keep the games per day at the absolute minimum. Right about now we should be done with the super 8s. Yet the Aussies are playing through the 20th, only 3 games, including 1 tomorrow.

As to the finalists... Australia seems to strong right now, NZ was looking real good till that got spanked by Sri Lanka, England is borderline out, Sri Lanka seems to be doing good, a little quiet, Sth Africa embarassed themselves the other day. Of course... the semi finals will play into that... if the points go right the semis could be SA vs SL and AU vs NZ.

As good as it is for cricket to see Australia lose occasionally (the ashes) I'm not confident that any one team has been consistant enough in the WI to really beat them. Though stranger things have happened.

Sadly I have to agree with all of that. As for England, they may as well be on holidays at one of those plush weekends they get thrown all the time.

They've shown no conviction, no consistency and the majority of the players have failed to rise to the occasion or come anywhere close. The cricket world cup bears uncanny resemblance to the football one for us and I can't for the life of me figure out why we repeatedly do so bad in either sport.

We have the players, and in Vaughn we've even got a decent captain (no such luck for the footy team). But still, they just don't perform.

Maybe for the cricket team it's been too many matches of getting walloped (the Ashes) and the CB series up to a point (We were getting our backsides handed to us up until the latter stages). But the difference between Australia, both performances and attitudes, is galaxies. I'm sick of hearing English sports players saying, "we know we didn't perform, we've got to do better, we're all hurting... blah blah blah...". Jut get up there and do what you've been picked to do!!

/rant over.

jbernie
Apr 16, 2007, 06:00 PM
Interesting game today with Sri Lanka resting top bowlers against Australia. Very disappointing that they didn't try and play the full team and put up a true fight.

Seems as though Aust will finish up in first place in the 8's and every one else will be fighting to be #2 or 3 to avoid being #4 and playing the Aussies in the semi final.

The way many of top teams play it seems as though being #2 is the achievement, not #1. if you don't take on the Aussies you will never beat them, same thing is happening in the test match series, a 4 day test is an achievement and a 5 day test is front page news.

Don't want the Aussies to lose, but the Cup is boringly long and underwhelming with excitement.

Though Kudos to the Sri Lankan tailenders, if not for them then they would have been done for about 180, throwing the bat and getting some fours and sixes did make the match a bit more interesting.

AlBDamned
Apr 16, 2007, 11:33 PM
Interesting game today with Sri Lanka resting top bowlers against Australia. Very disappointing that they didn't try and play the full team and put up a true fight.

Seems as though Aust will finish up in first place in the 8's and every one else will be fighting to be #2 or 3 to avoid being #4 and playing the Aussies in the semi final.

The way many of top teams play it seems as though being #2 is the achievement, not #1. if you don't take on the Aussies you will never beat them, same thing is happening in the test match series, a 4 day test is an achievement and a 5 day test is front page news.

Don't want the Aussies to lose, but the Cup is boringly long and underwhelming with excitement.

Though Kudos to the Sri Lankan tailenders, if not for them then they would have been done for about 180, throwing the bat and getting some fours and sixes did make the match a bit more interesting.

It's an interesting tactic as Australia now won't have any experience against SL's top two bowlers should Malinga come back and the two sides meet in the final four.

But there's no doubting it further devalues what's already been a pretty worthless World Cup. Ponting said yesterday they were "at the sharp end" of the tournament. It looked pretty blunt to me and the lack of fight and competition for Australia is embarrassing for the rest of the cricketing world.

My hopes are mid-high for this evening's clash with England Vs South Africa, but we'll see. There are lots of potentially good matches in the final four so all is not completely lost - yet.

Bigheadache
Apr 17, 2007, 02:27 AM
Well Australia can't lose the number 1 position now given the NRR situation (unless NZ thrash them in the last game by 200+ runs or something similarly ridiculous).

As for SL's tactic of hiding their gun bowlers, well i don't think they really got anything out of that. SL's batting failed even though Tait bowled horribly and that must be a concern. Even with Vass, Murali and Malinga back they are still going to have to bat decently whether setting a target or chasing. NZ v SL in the semi will be a reasonably interesting game.

As for tonight, I'm betting on SA choking.

satty
Apr 17, 2007, 02:29 PM

I hope you didn't bet. SA must be happy to choke like that :)

So it's likely Australia vs South Africa and New Zealand vs Sri Lanka in the Semis.

Go Kiwis :rolleyes:

BarryW
Apr 17, 2007, 03:29 PM

Hope the bookies don't come after ya

princealfie
Apr 17, 2007, 04:12 PM
I can't find cricket on any US channel? Where can I watch cricket on? ESPN or 2? or somewhere else? :confused:

pivo6
Apr 17, 2007, 05:08 PM
I can't find cricket on any US channel? Where can I watch cricket on? ESPN or 2? or somewhere else? :confused:

It's available as a package on Direct TV. I'm not sure about any other satellite or cable providers. I don't remember how much it cost.

AlBDamned
Apr 17, 2007, 06:46 PM
So the final four is all set. I'm sad we're out but glad we lost in such emphatic style. Now there really will be no excuses not to make some important decisions in the England set up. If they follow Australia's example after the 2005 Ashes and don't go in with all guns blazing, I think the future is bright given our young players. Fletcher has to go though. Too many emotional decisions from him and a complete inability to motivate, organise and energise the team have completely eroded his credibility.

I'm betting on Australia to win the cup. Nobody has come close to them really and nobody will unless they play out of their skin. I don't see it happening.

Bigheadache
Apr 17, 2007, 06:55 PM
Well I got proven wrong on SA.

I still think they'll get thumped by Australia in the semi. They may be ranked 1 or 2, but there is a huge gulf in talent between the 2 and SA have the most homogenous and predictable bowling attack (no one like a Malinga, Murali, Bond, or Tait or any spinners worth note) in cricket. Hopefully either NZ or SL can put up a decent fight in the final against Australia.

AlBDamned
Apr 17, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hopefully either NZ or SL can put up a decent fight in the final against Australia.

Let's hope so...

wookyhoo
Apr 18, 2007, 05:53 AM
I am of course looking forward to Australia winning, but I have a feeling that we're going to lose the Semi-Final.

AlBDamned
Apr 19, 2007, 09:52 PM
Fletcher goes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/6572149.stm), and so does Brian Lara (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/other_international/west_indies/6574317.stm)...

And oh dear, what were Bangladesh even doing in the Super8?

MOFS
Apr 20, 2007, 03:26 AM
Fletcher goes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/6572149.stm), and so does Brian Lara (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/other_international/west_indies/6574317.stm)...

And oh dear, what were Bangladesh even doing in the Super8?

Beating South Africa?

AlBDamned
Apr 20, 2007, 03:32 AM
Beating South Africa?

I should have put in brackets "Marginally more than England" ;)

Jasonbot
Apr 20, 2007, 05:30 AM
I should have put in brackets "Marginally more than England" ;)

But then South Africa trashed England to pave their way to the semi-finals :D

AlBDamned
Apr 20, 2007, 06:05 AM
But then South Africa trashed England to pave their way to the semi-finals :D

Exactly. You're not good enough to win the cup either, though. Most overrated #1 ODI side I've ever seen. :p

vouder17
Apr 20, 2007, 06:29 AM
Exactly. You're not good enough to win the cup either, though. Most overrated #1 ODI side I've ever seen. :p
We just have the tendency to play horribly in World Cups. Otherwise we are pretty good, i think...So far our match against Aus has been the hardest for the Aussies, but losing againt Bangladesh was just horrible.
I like to keep hope, hopefully these semi's will not be a replay of 1999 *cringe*

Jasonbot
Apr 20, 2007, 10:57 AM
We just have the tendency to play horribly in World Cups. Otherwise we are pretty good, i think...So far our match against Aus has been the hardest for the Aussies, but losing againt Bangladesh was just horrible.
I like to keep hope, hopefully these semi's will not be a replay of 1999 *cringe*

Well I am so confused as to that Bangladesh loss:eek: Still don't understand how we did (didn't) do it...

And yes, best of luck for our game vs. oz because if it's not luck then I have no idea what will make us win that game? My brother and I were joking about how the South Africans were really "gesuip" during that game vs. England and that was our winning strategy, if so, cheers Grahame!

princealfie
Apr 20, 2007, 12:07 PM
It's available as a package on Direct TV. I'm not sure about any other satellite or cable providers. I don't remember how much it cost.

True but I don't want to have to pay just to watch some fab games?

Blue Velvet
Apr 20, 2007, 12:35 PM
The Aussies have posted a huge total against the Kiwis, but there's no incentive for New Zealand to chase it... lose or win, because of the Aussies higher run rate, NZ are still playing Sri Lanka in the semis. Right?

Promote some batsmen who need some batting practice up the order to give them some time in the middle... the result is meaningless.

Jasonbot
Apr 20, 2007, 12:46 PM
The Aussies have posted a huge total against the Kiwis, but there's no incentive for New Zealand to chase it... lose or win, because of the Aussies higher run rate, NZ are still playing Sri Lanka in the semis. Right?

Promote some batsmen who need some batting practice up the order to give them some time in the middle... the result is meaningless.

I always though it would be fun for teams to send in a number 10/11 batsman when a total seems completely possible, like South Africa vs. England after the first wicket, that would be so demoralisisng for the bowling team in just destory them, but then I realised taht teams are far too serious these days are are all about statistics and dont care about the fun behind it anymore.

Chris Bangle
Apr 20, 2007, 12:57 PM
flethcher was an idiot he deserved to go..... I thoguht moody would have replaced him though... Doesnt matter.... chappel was an arse aswell

AlBDamned
Apr 20, 2007, 11:22 PM
flethcher was an idiot he deserved to go

I think that's a bit strong really. Fletcher did a lot of fantastic work with the Test team resulting in the Ashes win in 2005 and the number two test rank, but after that I think he ran out of ideas. He also made too many emotional decisions in the end and wasn't professional (Like Ashley Giles for Panesar, Geraint Jones instead of Chris Read), so it's pretty clear he'd gone as far as he was going to with the England team. Eight years is long enough though I think.

Blue Velvet
Apr 24, 2007, 02:14 PM
Just a few overs in and it's over for New Zealand... :(

vouder17
Apr 24, 2007, 05:46 PM
I was really hoping that the final partnership would make 125 runs, would have made it the best semi final ever.....
But onto tomorrow, the biggie. The "real" final of the world cup, SA have to show the stupid Aussies something, after Haydens cocky comments, i hope the proteas actually start playing cricket for the first time this cup!
Lets hope its a cracker.....

vouder17
Apr 25, 2007, 10:19 AM
Well there goes the cracker, was really hoping for at least a competitive game, now those aussies are gonna be sniffin their own farts for the next four years.
/Walks away with head down.
It was a legendary bad World Cup for us.

Bunks
Apr 25, 2007, 12:08 PM

Hey jbernie - I am a fellow Aussie in Denver. Any idea where we can watch the final?

AlBDamned
Apr 25, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well there goes the cracker, was really hoping for at least a competitive game, now those aussies are gonna be sniffin their own farts for the next four years.

LOL, you know that'll be the case, unless Sri Lanka stuff them of course. Would be great if they did but they'll have to play better than they did against the Kiwis. (Bad luck by the way, BV).

Also, I was laughing so hard this morning reading the BBC's commentary (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/6588929.stm). They've taken to calling Hayden "The Hulk" and writing all sorts of references to him. It's highly amusing (or was at 4am Aussie time anyway).

Blue Velvet
Apr 25, 2007, 05:33 PM
(Bad luck by the way, BV).

Beaten by a better team. There's always next time and of course, there's October in France. But that's another thread for another day. ;)

jbernie
Apr 25, 2007, 05:59 PM
Hey jbernie - I am a fellow Aussie in Denver. Any idea where we can watch the final?

Not too sure, there is a local Aussie Rules football team (Denver Bulldogs?) and they had a feed for the AFL grand final, I am oncall this week so at best I will be "watching it" via the baggygreen website.

There is also a good group of Aussies up in Ft Collins, though haven't seen any emails from them about watching the finals. I think Dish network carries the work cup but it is a US$200 ppv, no idea if they offer a $15 deal for just the final though.

Otherwise, i guess look around for any good English pubs, if they exist.

jbernie
Apr 25, 2007, 06:07 PM
/Walks away with head down.
It was a legendary bad World Cup for us.

I was really hoping the Sth Africans would put on a good show, I didn't want the Aussies to lose, but a top notch game would have been good for the fans. Unfortunately the very few top games (ie. England vs WI for the last Super 8 game) are dragged down by too many non event games. A good look at the scheduling is in order for next time around.

Maybe split the super 8 into 2 groups of 4, for a quicker round robin and then the top 2 from each group move on? #1 in one group plays #2 from the other group. That or just pull the finger out and go for 2 games a day. I really wonder if the crowds were so poor because of the extended length of time required and most only wanting to spend 2 or 3 weeks down there only if they got to see the finals. I took a 3 week vacation to the West Indies for the Cricket World Cup and didn't see any game passed the first round. Not a great return on your hard earned $$$.

Will be interesting to see how Sri Lanka does on Saturday, will their 'tactics" really work? Or will it be another farce. It doesn't matter who wins, the game needs to be close and exciting to ensure the ending is the best possible.

jbernie
Apr 25, 2007, 06:27 PM
Beaten by a better team. There's always next time and of course, there's October in France. But that's another thread for another day. ;)

Actually, for that World Cup, Australia does not look good at all. So chin up you Poms, Kiwis and Sth Africans, all is not lost.

Bunks
Apr 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
Not too sure, there is a local Aussie Rules football team (Denver Bulldogs?) and they had a feed for the AFL grand final, I am oncall this week so at best I will be "watching it" via the baggygreen website.

There is also a good group of Aussies up in Ft Collins, though haven't seen any emails from them about watching the finals. I think Dish network carries the work cup but it is a US$200 ppv, no idea if they offer a $15 deal for just the final though.

Otherwise, i guess look around for any good English pubs, if they exist.

Thanks mate - have exhausted all my options I think!

The wife has insisted we go away this weekend so I don't think I'll even follow it on the net......I get the impression that the interest in Oz (and some other Aussie bloggers may confirm this?) is pretty low anyway. Reminds me of 2003 - no-one really cared then either!

I think we put so much focus on getting the Ashes back that this WC has taken a back seat. We should still win it though.

As for the RWC, I noticed the Aussies are struggling a bit! Will the Kiwi's choke again though? I must confess to being from that part of Australia that has a little interest in the run forwards but throw backwards game!

Bigheadache
Apr 26, 2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks mate - have exhausted all my options I think!

The wife has insisted we go away this weekend so I don't think I'll even follow it on the net......I get the impression that the interest in Oz (and some other Aussie bloggers may confirm this?) is pretty low anyway. Reminds me of 2003 - no-one really cared then either!

I think we put so much focus on getting the Ashes back that this WC has taken a back seat. We should still win it though.

As for the RWC, I noticed the Aussies are struggling a bit! Will the Kiwi's choke again though? I must confess to being from that part of Australia that has a little interest in the run forwards but throw backwards game!

Actually people cared a bit in 2003 as it was the first time we went through unbeaten, its was when Symonds came of age, and the final was a great batting performance. Aussies were unbeaten, but some of the games were great IIRC, such as Symonds saving us against Pakistan, and Bichel saving Australia against England. Also the TV coverage was a bit better with more games on free to air.

2007 has been a joke and like you say, no one cares. The gulf between Australia and rest of the world is a joke - I don't think the any of the Aussie tailenders (Tait, bracken, McGrath) have had to put their pads on and go out to bat yet. The tournament's dragged on, the free to air coverage sucks with only the super 8 Australian games shown, and even if you have cable tv, the games aren't close enough to bother staying up from 1130pm to 6am to watch them.

jbernie
Apr 28, 2007, 01:37 PM
WOW! Gilchrist went crazy on the Sri Lankan bowling, 149 of 104. Amazing innigs, shame I can only see i in text format online.

With a shorten match of only 38 overs per side i would be feeling confident if it wasn't Sri Lanka we were facing.

The rain is a pain but wow what an innings.

Jasonbot
Apr 28, 2007, 02:31 PM
Man this game is weird! Just look at that score :eek: That shouldn't even be legal...

jbernie
Apr 28, 2007, 06:13 PM
Looks like Sri Lanka put up a decent fight, the total was a pretty tall order given the shortened game, but I admit to being more than a tad worried early on as they started to pick up the run rate, 50 from 5 always makes a good dent.

Though just getting home the end seems to be kind of suited to the tournament, a bit of a farce. I guess in the end the better team did win but I'm glad the Sri Lankas made a go at it.

cazlar
Apr 28, 2007, 07:38 PM
I'm from Oz but living in the US, and spent most of the morning trying to find a working web stream. Eventually found an audio stream from the UK, which along with cricinfo's text commentry was enough to get a good idea of the game. Imagine my surprise after stopping listening when they called it for light, to see they had come back to play in the dark!

Yay for the Aussies, but overall a very lacklustre tournament. Maybe it's because I haven't had it on TV, but I can't say it's been as enjoyable as it should have been. Too long, not enough great matches, a death, and to end it it finishes in a farce. Oh well, I hope the next one is better...

AlBDamned
Apr 29, 2007, 04:04 AM
Though just getting home the end seems to be kind of suited to the tournament, a bit of a farce.

Yup. Jonathan Agnew's word's summed it up. It was a completely underwhelming tournament finished off by a farce of umpire call.

Congrats to Australia though. They are a truly awesome cricket team.

jamesmcd
Apr 29, 2007, 04:55 AM
my two cents...

Australia always deserved to win, great team, congratulations... (Kiwi-Upbringing here, so that's hard to say).

However, what a s*** final, and piss-poor effort on the guys running the show. They start late on a dark day and can't figure out that it might just get a little darker later on?

I know it's difficult (due to annoyed crowd etc.) but I would have preferred to wait a couple of days for some decent weather, it's a final after all. Easy for me to say that though, not being there and everything.

BoyBach
Apr 29, 2007, 06:21 AM
I think it's safe to say that the best team in the world won.

The Aussies were simply awesome throughout the tournament.