PDA

View Full Version : Compatible with my mac???

teabgs
Mar 14, 2002, 05:44 PM
Hey all. I found a 6100 and a 7100 in the trash today on the street on my way home from checking out the progress of the Apple Store in NYC. (see update on Apple store NYC for details). Anyway, I took them home by way of a push cart for 1.5 miles till I got home. I hooked them up and nothing. So I opened tyhe cases and someone has tampered with the HD's.

OK, so theyre useless w/out a HD. MY QUESTION IS...are either the 6100 or 7100 PARTS compatible with the 6500? Cause that's what im using now and if I can scrap parts from the others that'd be great top hold me off till July when I order the new Towers.

If you know the answer or know a link to help me find the answer thatd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

IndyGopher
Mar 14, 2002, 05:58 PM
Complete list of parts that are compatible between the 6100, 7100, and 6500:

CMOS battery
Floppy drive
CD ROM drive
Power cord

That's the whole list.

teabgs
Mar 14, 2002, 07:55 PM
Ugh.

Thanks man.

mymemory
Mar 14, 2002, 08:25 PM
Well, there you got a nice present for your mom.:)

AlphaTech
Mar 14, 2002, 08:55 PM
Just pick up some cheap SCSI hard drives and pop them in... then you would have a functioning (maybe) computer...

Choppaface
Mar 15, 2002, 01:01 AM
get one of this Linux distributions that runs withouth a hard drive :D :D

teabgs
Mar 15, 2002, 04:49 PM
I have a friend who has an old scsi 1 GB HD that he doesnt use. HE's gonna give it to me. So hopefully I can get this thing up an running with that.

mischief
Mar 15, 2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Choppaface
get one of this Linux distributions that runs withouth a hard drive :D :D

Pardon my ignorance, but how does one boot without a drive volume? Does it, per chance come on a DIMM??

AlphaTech
Mar 15, 2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by mischief

Pardon my ignorance, but how does one boot without a drive volume? Does it, per chance come on a DIMM??

I think the dimm was the person suggesting that you can have an OS without a drive for it to reside... That just won't fly... nope, not one bit (sorta like a lead elephant :D ).