PDA

View Full Version : Scanner suggestions.

WinterMute
Jun 17, 2003, 07:53 AM
I need a scanner that'll handle slides, is FireWire and isn't too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Am I right in thinking that transparencies and slides are the same thing?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 17, 2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by WinterMute
I need a scanner that'll handle slides, is FireWire and isn't too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Am I right in thinking that transparencies and slides are the same thing?

yes and no for the transparencies.

Som transparencies can be much larger than a 35mm neg.

So what's too expensive? And how much resolution do you want from you scans, wha are you going to do with them?

I'm waiting on some money myself and I'm going to buy a Nikon Coolscan 4000, very slick stuff, but might be a bit much for what you need. It all depends.

D

WinterMute
Jun 17, 2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
yes and no for the transparencies.

Som transparencies can be much larger than a 35mm neg.

So what's too expensive? And how much resolution do you want from you scans, wha are you going to do with them?

I'm waiting on some money myself and I'm going to buy a Nikon Coolscan 4000, very slick stuff, but might be a bit much for what you need. It all depends.

D

Most are standard 35mm slides, my dad has 1000's of slides which mum wants to look at and archive, dad was a real keen photographer most of his life, and there's tons of stuff, family, events, nature, people etc.

I want to scan them and put them on some CD's for mum.

Resolution doesn't have to be amazing, but they need to look good on a monitor and if printed onto standard photo prints. 600x600 non-interpolated, how's that sound?

I'm not looking to spend more than 150-200 ($240-$320)

Thanks D.:)

WinterMute
Jun 17, 2003, 11:08 AM
Just a note, I need a combination flatbed and slide scanner, the coolscan looks great, but only for slides obviously, most of the time I'll be scanning images not slides.

Thanks.

acj
Jun 17, 2003, 08:46 PM
These can be had for your price range, or the next model up which is a little newer. They do a very fine job with slides, bigger transparancies, and flat stuff.

Mr. Anderson: I have two of the nikon 4000's. They're OK. Maybe the best for the price but still have problems with corner sharpness and sometimes the digital ICE wrecks the image. When it works (97% of the time), ICE is a major time saver. Hate to say it, but it scans faster on our PC... 5,000 scans and speed really matters.

Oh, and cover it whenever you are not using it!!! un-cleanable dust will settle on the optics and cause hazy scans.

Cheers,

Andrew

medea
Jun 17, 2003, 08:55 PM
I'd recommend the epson perfection as well, get the best one you can afford.

WinterMute
Jun 18, 2003, 06:09 AM
Thanks, am checking the epsons out now.:)