PDA

View Full Version : Only 244 copies of Vista sold in China

P-Worm
Apr 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
Wow, the piracy they have to deal with is insane. If I was Microsoft, I would be so angry...

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/only_244_copies_of_genuine_windows_vista_sold_in_china.php

P-Worm

Lovesong
Apr 18, 2007, 04:18 PM
Wow is right. I'm curious about businesses- have they just not upgraded, or are they using the pirated version as well? Maybe they are the ones that have bought the 244 legit copies.

princealfie
Apr 18, 2007, 04:21 PM
But do the non-legit copies work too?

Lovesong
Apr 18, 2007, 04:22 PM
But do the non-legit copies work too?

I would guess so. Otherwise there would be slightly more copies sold, don't you think? :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis
Apr 18, 2007, 04:27 PM
wow, i know China has a piracy problem, but i didn't think it was this bad. craziness.

WildCowboy
Apr 18, 2007, 04:36 PM
Wow is right. I'm curious about businesses- have they just not upgraded, or are they using the pirated version as well? Maybe they are the ones that have bought the 244 legit copies.

Of course businesses are using pirated copies. The government is, too. It's part of the reason why they have a hard time cracking down on it...they can't afford (or don't want to afford) cleaning up their own house.

jonharris200
Apr 18, 2007, 04:40 PM
Has this story been verified? Any Japanese-speaking folks out there care to translate the source article? Seems hard to believe... even for Vista. :cool:

Lord Blackadder
Apr 18, 2007, 04:40 PM
I wonder if MS has the balls (or the capability) to break the functionality of the pirated copies...I wonder if the Chinese government uses legal copies of XP anyway...

Eraserhead
Apr 18, 2007, 04:43 PM
I wonder if the Chinese government uses legal copies of XP anyway...

I doubt it, I'd have thought they'd have bought more than 244 copies.

Benjamin
Apr 18, 2007, 04:57 PM
wow, i know China has a piracy problem, but i didn't think it was this bad. craziness.

? what are you talking about that is a 24,400% increase in sales. :cool: :p

johnee
Apr 18, 2007, 05:00 PM
If china was forced to buy Vista, they might tell MS to toss off and create their own.

zap2
Apr 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
they might tell MS to toss off and create their own.

Doubt it...most likely using Linux...maybe change a few things about its, but not make a new one

dubbz
Apr 18, 2007, 05:15 PM
Doubt it...most likely using Linux...maybe change a few things about its, but not make a new one

Red Flag Linux (http://www.redflag-linux.com/eindex.html) :p

Queso
Apr 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
243 copies more than they need for that DVD copying factory. Microsoft ought to be pleased :p

Max Payne
Apr 18, 2007, 05:28 PM
Wow..That's so cool. :D

sthpark7791
Apr 18, 2007, 06:09 PM
MS really ought to consider how much the people make before they price their products :D

Agent Smith
Apr 18, 2007, 08:50 PM
Red Flag Linux (http://www.redflag-linux.com/eindex.html) :p

I like the quasi-Microsoft Windows logo there...:D

eightd
Apr 18, 2007, 08:55 PM
that what so great about buying mac osx, you have to buy apples dongle

SkyBell
Apr 18, 2007, 08:59 PM
that what so great about buying mac osx, you have to buy apples dongle

Must...not...say..LOL...:D

rhoydotp
Apr 18, 2007, 09:49 PM

hmmm ... interesting comment :rolleyes:

i guess you would think that only people in north america can make something usable. duh! :confused:

iBookG4user
Apr 18, 2007, 09:55 PM
Wow, they did not sell very many issues of Vista at all, I wonder what the percentage of pirated to legal copies is.

WildCowboy
Apr 18, 2007, 09:59 PM
Wow, they did not sell very many issues of Vista at all, I wonder what the percentage of pirated to legal copies is.

I've seen numbers that say as much as 97 percent of software installed on computers in China is pirated...others say it's more like 90 percent. I have no idea what Vista's numbers are specifically.

iBookG4user
Apr 18, 2007, 10:02 PM
I've seen numbers that say as much as 97 percent of software installed on computers in China is pirated...others say it's more like 90 percent. I have no idea what Vista's numbers are specifically.

That's insane :eek:. Someone really needs to crack down on that big time.

EricNau
Apr 18, 2007, 10:05 PM
I never realized there was also a Disney version of Vista. What does that bring the total up to? 22? :p :D

synth3tik
Apr 18, 2007, 10:14 PM
I believe that it is a mix of pirated versions being so widely available and people just not buying it. I can't see larger businesses widely using pirated software.

iJon
Apr 18, 2007, 10:20 PM
Pay $200 here or pay $1 there, guess which one they will take :rolleyes:.

jon

EricNau
Apr 18, 2007, 10:30 PM
I wonder if MS has the balls (or the capability) to break the functionality of the pirated copies...I wonder if the Chinese government uses legal copies of XP anyway...
Vista already uses anti-piracy measures that disable (but not completely) many features. This leads me to believe that, if they wanted to, Microsoft could completely disable a pirated system.

...Although it's not clear if people in China circumvented these barriers or are simply ignoring them. I'm guessing it's the former.

Benjamin
Apr 18, 2007, 10:33 PM
Pay $200 here or pay $1 there, guess which one they will take :rolleyes:.

that sounds overpriced :o teehehehe

dmw007
Apr 18, 2007, 10:34 PM

Probably about 10,000,000:1 ;) :D :cool:

angelneo
Apr 18, 2007, 11:02 PM
Has this story been verified? Any Japanese-speaking folks out there care to translate the source article? Seems hard to believe... even for Vista. :cool:
Where's the source article? I believe you are talking about chinese speaking instead of japanese right?

iJon
Apr 18, 2007, 11:03 PM
Vista already uses anti-piracy measures that disable (but not completely) many features. This leads me to believe that, if they wanted to, Microsoft could completely disable a pirated system.

...Although it's not clear if people in China circumvented these barriers or are simply ignoring them. I'm guessing it's the former.

The Vista's I've seen floating around don't even require a serial number and they have the ability to do all install updates, I was impressed.

jon

WildCowboy
Apr 18, 2007, 11:08 PM
Where's the source article? I believe you are talking about chinese speaking instead of japanese right?

The source article (http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/pcuser/articles/0703/15/news013_2.html) is linked in the blog news post...looks like Japanese to me.

Counterfit
Apr 19, 2007, 12:24 AM
The source article (http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/pcuser/articles/0703/15/news013_2.html) is linked in the blog news post...looks like Japanese to me.

.co.jp is a good sign that you're right. ;)

Anyways, what are their numbers for the US so far?

angelneo
Apr 19, 2007, 12:52 AM
Ahh... strange, I couldn't find the link on the OP link. I must be getting old.

makku
Apr 19, 2007, 01:15 AM
The number is taken out of context. In the original article it says that 244 is the total number of pre order and sale between Jan 19 and to Feb 2 taken on a online shop (連邦), which is the largest official reseller, in China.
The interesting thing is that the Chinese news site that got the number from the shop is reporting like 244 is a very high demand.

robPOD
Apr 19, 2007, 02:16 AM
They would have sold way more than 244

ReanimationLP
Apr 19, 2007, 02:48 AM
See, the problem is this simply:

Someone figured out a way to permanently trick Microsoft's servers into thinking that the illegal copies are valid, activated, and fully legal and updateable, by patching a Dell OEM copy of Vista Ultimate.

The copy updates perfectly, and requires no Product Key, like iJon pointed out. It's rather an impressive feat of reverse engineering.

You know, its days like this you have to feel a little bad for the monopoly. :D

If you listen closely enough, you can hear Ballmer screaming the f-word. :D :D :D

Abstract
Apr 19, 2007, 03:04 AM
Microsoft doesn't mind us bootlegging, as long as it's MS products.

Just doing my part to help. :)

(Actually, I don't have a copy of Vista. I'd rather just install XP)

ezekielrage_99
Apr 19, 2007, 05:12 AM
Must...not...say..LOL...:D

LOL..... just have to do that as well, and what is so darn funny about this is that after all the anti piracey thing M$ did they only sold 244 copies.

Wouldn't you feel ripped off if you were one of those 244 :confused:

topgunn
Apr 19, 2007, 08:19 AM
So China bought one of every edition of Vista.

slayr-cxf50
Apr 19, 2007, 08:39 AM
So China bought one of every edition of Vista.

LOL yes!! so true!!

And about that picture from last page..
Disney edition of Vista.. what the hell???!?! :D

Swarmlord
Apr 19, 2007, 08:42 AM

Certainly the capability at least if the users try to get their Windows Updates.

aricher
Apr 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
In response it looks like MS is going to start selling Windows/Office bundled for $3.00

Microsoft Plans To Offer Three dollar Windows (http://www.playfuls.com/news_07054_Microsoft_Plans_To_Offer_Three_dollar_Windows.html)

princealfie
Apr 19, 2007, 02:50 PM
In response it looks like MS is going to start selling Windows/Office bundled for $3.00

Microsoft Plans To Offer Three dollar Windows (http://www.playfuls.com/news_07054_Microsoft_Plans_To_Offer_Three_dollar_Windows.html)

Yes, where can you get this? ;)

Eric5h5
Apr 19, 2007, 03:26 PM
If you listen closely enough, you can hear Ballmer screaming the f-word. :D :D :D

The chairs must be flying thick and fast....

Actually, they don't get it...the anti-piracy measures were 100% effective. It's just that only 244 people were actually interested in Vista. ;)

--Eric

mags631
Apr 19, 2007, 07:04 PM

3 > 0 ... and still 0 < 3. So I'm guessing not much will change.

the vj
Apr 19, 2007, 08:10 PM
Well, probably you could get a MacBook for $50 there as well.

Flynnstone
Apr 19, 2007, 09:15 PM
244 :confused: That many :rolleyes:

psychofreak
Apr 19, 2007, 09:23 PM
I never realized there was also a Disney version of Vista. What does that bring the total up to? 22? :p :D

It's Disney Vista Ulimate :)

Counterfit
Apr 20, 2007, 02:49 AM
Well, probably you could get a MacBook for $50 there as well.

It's actually a Mac-Book, not to be confused with the MacBook. :confused:

theBB
Apr 20, 2007, 04:22 PM
Well, if MS manages to really come up with an unbreakable copy protection scheme or persuade Chinese government to clean up the piracy completely, what would happen? People in China cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars for an operating system, so they would be forced to use a cheaper alternative. It could be Linux or it could be a brand new Chinese OS, but in the end there would be a very large global market for one of these operating systems. In the end, it would find its way into low cost computers in the West, as well. No wonder MS looks the other way.

Poor people will not bring you any more revenue, so why would you force them to come up with a competitor guaranteed to have a huge market share? I bet MS is concerned with piracy of its products by the people who could afford it, so it tries to make it difficult, but does not make it completely impossible. They have thousands of engineers; I am pretty sure they could come up with an unbreakable method if they really wanted to.

Eric5h5
Apr 20, 2007, 10:40 PM
Generally I agree, but:

They have thousands of engineers; I am pretty sure they could come up with an unbreakable method if they really wanted to.

Nope. Nobody's ever managed it, and nobody ever will, because all it takes is one person to break it, and that's it. 100% of the "unbreakable" copy protection introduced so far has been cracked, usually in an embarrassingly short amount of time.

--Eric