PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Yacht...

AlBDamned
Apr 20, 2007, 02:25 AM
Man this is weird (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6574547.stm)!

Everything was running, laptop, engine etc, there was food on the table, all the lifejackets were there, but one sail was badly shredded.

Sea monsters perhaps?!

EricNau
Apr 20, 2007, 02:27 AM
That is very strange. :confused:

Counterfit
Apr 20, 2007, 02:42 AM
I had some REALLY bad gas.

AlBDamned
Apr 20, 2007, 02:46 AM
That is very strange. :confused:

Yeah it is. It reminds me of a film but I can't quite remember what. Maybe it's a mix of that one with Billy Zane, Nicole Kidman and Sam Neill (Dead Calm?) mixed with that one about the cruise liner where all the people get eaten by sea monsters and some pirates come and find it empty...

Would be pretty creepy if you were on of the "rescuers" and you found it empty.

iSaint
Apr 20, 2007, 06:22 AM
Yeah it is. It reminds me of a film but I can't quite remember what. Maybe it's a mix of that one with Billy Zane, Nicole Kidman and Sam Neill (Dead Calm?) mixed with that one about the cruise liner where all the people get eaten by sea monsters and some pirates come and find it empty...

Would be pretty creepy if you were on of the "rescuers" and you found it empty.

That's a good movie. I love to read sailing stories and mysteries. This is freaky, but you never know what mother ocean throws at you.

xJulianx
Apr 20, 2007, 06:23 AM
That's a good movie. I love to read sailing stories and mysteries. This is freaky, but you never know what mother ocean throws at you.

Yeah, quite likely they fell overboard perhaps?

faintember
Apr 20, 2007, 06:57 AM
That is pretty crazy.

I would not doubt it happened similar to a boating accident one of my friends died in when I was younger. That is, a younger person falls off the boat and a adult jumps in an attempt to help the child, then ends up in trouble, then the other adult jumps in, etc. Even if there was no child on board I could see this happening even with an adult, and it would explain why everything was running yet abandoned.

Can a sail be torn if the boat was left unattended in the ocean over a few days? Seems that the wind might be able to do such?

wordmunger
Apr 20, 2007, 07:06 AM
Sharks?

Maybe they were having a swim before dinner, dove in the water and got gobbled up before they could return. As Faintember mentioned, maybe one person was attacked, then the others tried to rescue and were attacked as well.

iGav
Apr 20, 2007, 07:18 AM
A giant octopus plucked them off the deck one by one and gobbled them up. :cool:

Or...

More likely a rogue wave... (something like that judging by the sail) that washed them off decks. ;)

iSaint
Apr 20, 2007, 08:19 AM
A giant octopus plucked them off the deck one by one and gobbled them up. :cool:

Or...

More likely a rogue wave... (something like that judging by the sail) that washed them off decks. ;)

I wonder what the weather conditions were over the past 48 hours? I don't think the article said anything about that.

phillipjfry
Apr 20, 2007, 08:25 AM
Maybe faintember had it right,

I've seen it at Myrtle Beach on more than a few occasions where a child will get too far out (riptide, whatever), and her uncle went out to save her, he ends up needing help, his brother jumps in to save them both, and someone else goes in to try and save them, and no one survived :(

Three person yacht, so Possibly two of them were out swimming while the third one was setting up dinner, they start to struggle and the third tries to save them and falls over board.
It would be more than creepy to get on a boat and find everything as if there was someone living on it (eg, computers running, dinner set out and waiting, lights on, nobody home)
Maybe they can figure out how long the boat had been empty using the food that was set out for dinner? :confused:

iGav
Apr 20, 2007, 08:40 AM
I wonder what the weather conditions were over the past 48 hours? I don't think the article said anything about that.

Rogue waves can appear completely out of nowhere on a calm day, it doesn't have to be stormy for example.

I don't think it was a particularly large rogue wave, but probably if not certainly large enough to wash them off the deck whilst keeping damage to the yacht to an indiscernible minimum e.g. the torn sail.

AlBDamned
Apr 20, 2007, 08:45 AM
Rogue waves can appear completely out of nowhere on a calm day, it doesn't have to be stormy for example.

I don't think it was a particularly large rogue wave, but probably if not certainly large enough to wash them off the deck whilst keeping damage to the yacht to an indiscernible minimum e.g. the torn sail.

The sail was shredded though, they just had video of it on the news here. Would a rogue wave do that? I have no idea to be honest. If it was just the boat with no damage, I'd be inclined to think that someone had got into difficulties and they'd all gone overboard, but the sail makes it very strange.

iGav
Apr 20, 2007, 09:11 AM
Would a rogue wave do that?but the sail makes it very strange.

I'd certainly consider it to be possible, depends on the size and the force of the wave that caught it and how the sail was rigged at the time.

As you say, it's the sail that makes it strange, which leads me to believe it's not just someone or other falling overboard and the others going to help, but something else entirely.

It's could of course been caused by a freak gust of wind, though one would've thought meteorological data could prove (or disprove that).

I was only half joking about the Giant Octopus too... though it would've more likely been a Giant or Colossal Squid.

AlBDamned
Apr 20, 2007, 09:27 AM
From the looks of it and your point about the rigging I reckon the most non-sea monster explanation could well be wind or a freak gust of wind specifically.

Queso
Apr 20, 2007, 09:32 AM
Which sail was shredded? Could it have been a case of the crew trying to rescue the sail when the boom suddenly swung and knocked all three overboard?

EDIT : Now watched the video. So much for that theory :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis
Apr 20, 2007, 09:34 AM
odd. and it must've been erie to be one of the rescue crew.

sushi
Apr 20, 2007, 09:34 AM
Weird.

How about pirates? No blood. But maybe they surprised the crew?

The other suggestion of one person being in trouble and the others trying to help and they all get into trouble may make the most sense -- especially considering the condition of the boat.

The sail being shredded is hard to explain.

Jaffa Cake
Apr 20, 2007, 09:51 AM
How about pirates? No blood. But maybe they surprised the crew?If it was pirates, then I suspect they would have looted the boat too – equipment and stuff like the laptop were left untouched.

It was obviously aliens – it's the only explanation. ;)

johnee
Apr 20, 2007, 09:54 AM
OH MY GOD!!!

WHERE IS MAD JEW????

oh the humanity!!!!! :eek:

Abstract
Apr 20, 2007, 10:37 AM
Whatever the explanation you want to give, the condition of that sail is weird. I don't know what would tear a sail like that, but it must have been quick, Australian, and quasi-jewish.

sushi
Apr 20, 2007, 10:40 AM
If it was pirates, then I suspect they would have looted the boat too – equipment and stuff like the laptop were left untouched.
Unless they were after one or more members of the crew for whatever reason. Drugs could be involved.

Actually, this is probably the best explanation so far! ;)

joepunk
Apr 20, 2007, 11:01 AM
Reminds me of a history program i saw on tv about an abandoned sailing ship found in the 1800's. Everything was in its place but the crew were not onboard. Logbooks mentioning nothing about the whereabouts of the crew.

camomac
Apr 20, 2007, 01:32 PM
If it was pirates, then I suspect they would have looted the boat too – equipment and stuff like the laptop were left untouched.

Pirates need laptops, everybody knows aliens don't.

:D

yellow
Apr 20, 2007, 01:44 PM
NAMBLA members faking their own death to start a new life elsewheres?

Jasonbot
Apr 20, 2007, 03:09 PM
Well if it wasn't pirates then maybe some er... Ninja's did it? Sea faring ninjas of course:D

yellow
Apr 20, 2007, 03:15 PM
It wuz teh Black Smoke from Lost! :eek:

Lord Blackadder
Apr 20, 2007, 04:18 PM
The jib is shredded... it looks like the sheets for both the main and jib are fastened in cleats, but if the boat has been drifting for a few days untended it could damage the sails that way.

No life rafts reported.

I'm guessing it wasn't a rogue wave, but who knows? Very, very strange.

yellow
Apr 20, 2007, 04:41 PM
Here's my guess.

2 guys in the dingy, with a line tied to the ship. Dude comes on deck to say "Dinner's on, mates" but hears his buddies yelling, sees the dingy being pulled by some unseen strange current and the line is ultra-taut and ready to break. He moves towards it and it breaks just as he reaches it. A lunge at the line takes him overboard. Current grabs him and and he and his 2 buddies are taken out to open sea, while the ship difts in another direction.

OK, massively far fetched...

But there's no dingy! Wait.. maybe there is. I can't tell in that ***tty picture.

robPOD
Apr 20, 2007, 06:25 PM
here is some more info: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=75417

johnee
Apr 20, 2007, 06:32 PM
Here's my guess.

2 guys in the dingy, with a line tied to the ship. Dude comes on deck to say "Dinner's on, mates" but hears his buddies yelling, sees the dingy being pulled by some unseen strange current and the line is ultra-taut and ready to break. He moves towards it and it breaks just as he reaches it. A lunge at the line takes him overboard. Current grabs him and and he and his 2 buddies are taken out to open sea, while the ship difts in another direction.

OK, massively far fetched...

But there's no dingy! Wait.. maybe there is. I can't tell in that ***tty picture.

That sounds like what I initially thought. But my first thought included someone fishing, getting a real big fish, and his buddies help him, but they all get pulled in by the sea beast.

What could be so important that they would just leave everything?

pilotError
Apr 20, 2007, 08:33 PM
Scooby, Shaggy and the gang are headed out to solve the mystery. With all that experience at Lochness and a box of Scooby snacks, I think they could get to the bottom of this. :D

latergator116
Apr 20, 2007, 08:53 PM
The sail being shredded is hard to explain.

I don't know much about sailing, but isn't it possible for the sail to rip if the boat turns quickly into a strong wind?

Abstract
Apr 20, 2007, 09:03 PM
here is some more info: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=75417

After reading that article, this is what I now believe:

Three old guys from Western Australia bought the boat at Airlie beach, and wanted to bring it home by sailing it home. They set up the dinner table, but then a boat approaches them, and believing it to be a friendly boat, they drop their fenders so that the boats could get close together. Then the 3 guys get kidnapped. Oopsy. The sail ripped when the 3 old guys were already kidnapped because nobody was around to do all the things they were supposed to do, like lower their sails when they had to, or steer (I know nothing about boats).

nickster9224
Apr 20, 2007, 09:11 PM
It must be thos ninja's if it wasn't the pirates:D

mad jew
Apr 20, 2007, 09:16 PM
Wasn't me.

Cybix
Apr 20, 2007, 09:24 PM
I sailed out there for a week once... Left Airlie beach for the whitsundays. Generally the sailing around that area is quite safe, and there are lots of other fellow sailers, aircraft constantly sweeping the areas, etc.

However, you can get some hardcore gusts of winds as you come around some of the islands, there are also hardcore whirlpool's in some areas (but i doubt any that could seriously disrupt a boat of that size. I'd never sailed the area before and had no problem navigating around any nasties... I was 19yrs old at the time If I recall.. wow that was a while ago, time to go back and do it again! :)

They will check the boat over and see whats up... foot prints, finger prints, was the sail slashed by blade, or some other object, etc.

It's sad to see this kind of thing happen, I hope the three men are okay, somewhere!

nickster9224
Apr 20, 2007, 09:26 PM
it was the blow felt from one of chuck norris' roundhouse kicks

ghall
Apr 20, 2007, 09:30 PM
It was a glitch in the Matrix. :eek:

iSaint
Apr 20, 2007, 10:20 PM
There's a pic on the latest update that shows fenders placed alongside. They wouldn't be there if a boat hadn't come up.

Lord Blackadder
Apr 20, 2007, 10:39 PM
There's a pic on the latest update that shows fenders placed alongside. They wouldn't be there if a boat hadn't come up.

It could very well be some foul play.

Counterfit
Apr 20, 2007, 11:18 PM
Wouldn't they be better off in international waters?

Abstract
Apr 20, 2007, 11:35 PM
It must be thos ninja's if it wasn't the pirates:D

Hmmmm......you may be on to something.

This guy had the same problem with ninjas.

nickster9224
Apr 21, 2007, 12:18 AM
haha those damn ninjas

faintember
Apr 21, 2007, 12:25 AM
But ninjas are afraid of ghost stories, so why would they leave a ghost yacht?

An über-reliable source (http://www.realultimatepower.net/ninja/ghosts.htm)

sushi
Apr 21, 2007, 01:10 AM
Which brings me back to my drugs comment.

It might not have been drugs, but they may have been meeting some folks to exchange something and the deal went south.

robPOD
Apr 21, 2007, 05:25 AM
Three old guys from Western Australia bought the boat at Airlie beach, and wanted to bring it home by sailing it home. They set up the dinner table, but then a boat approaches them, and believing it to be a friendly boat, they drop their fenders so that the boats could get close together. Then the 3 guys get kidnapped.

I think something like that happened to, Lol at the glitch in the matrix comment

Lord Blackadder
Apr 21, 2007, 11:40 AM
I'm still thinking they probably fell overboard though...the latest news says they think the boat has been drifitng since Sunday.

sushi
Apr 21, 2007, 06:10 PM
I'm still thinking they probably fell overboard though...the latest news says they think the boat has been drifitng since Sunday.
But all three of them?

I can understand 1 or 2. But for three guys to fall overboard at the same time is a little bit hard to believe.

The fenders being deployed is an important clue indicating the possibility that there was another boat involved. That is unless the guys didn't know how to store them and they fell over onto the side of the boat.

Lord Blackadder
Apr 22, 2007, 11:29 AM
But all three of them?

I can understand 1 or 2. But for three guys to fall overboard at the same time is a little bit hard to believe.

The fenders being deployed is an important clue indicating the possibility that there was another boat involved. That is unless the guys didn't know how to store them and they fell over onto the side of the boat.

I think it's very possible - the fenders may have been fastened to cleats but tucked up on deck, only rolling over the side after the boat started drifting...on a smaller boat like that all three could have been on deck when something happened - with the sails up the boat (the motor was running but it doesn't say whether it was under power or just idling) could have quickly sailed off before they could get back to the boat.

Peace
Apr 22, 2007, 12:26 PM
They very easily could have left port with the fenders dangling overboard and not even known about it.

I say insurance scam.

robPOD
Apr 24, 2007, 04:33 AM
The search for the three missing men has now been called off. We may now never find out what happend:mad:

Diatribe
Apr 24, 2007, 08:34 AM

Or...

If it had been a rogue wave there would hardly be anything left of the boat. A rogue wave is around 25m high. I don't think the laptop or the food would still be on the table. :p

I say it was Aliens. ;)

AndyR
Apr 24, 2007, 08:54 AM
Wasn't there a film supposedly based on real life events where a group of friends are out in the ocean on a yacht when all jump in for a swim. They only then realize the boats sides are too tall and they can't get back on deck! :eek:

phillipjfry
Apr 24, 2007, 09:08 AM
Deliverance...In Australia™

Peterkro
Apr 24, 2007, 09:12 AM
Deliverance...In Australia™

Makes sense to me especially Queensland :) .

ezekielrage_99
Apr 24, 2007, 09:31 AM

Or...

Now that's just silly giant octopus dont eat people....

I think it was one of the following:
1) Pirate Ghosts (e.g. ghosts who became pirates).
2) Ghost Pirates (e.g. the ghosts of pirates).
3) Aliens or UFOs.... The most probable thing is they will be return with very sore butt holes.
4) Saddam should get the blame also.... I don't know why but he gets the blame for everything.
5) The octopus dude out of Pirates of the Caribean 2, I don't know his name but he's cool... I wasn't taking much attention of the movie becuase I was making out with my girlfriend.

Now those are my theories.

For the record I'm not insane or on drugs.

smueboy
Apr 24, 2007, 09:43 AM
Looks like it's an epidemic:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/NATIONAL/Second-empty-vessel-found-off-Qld-coast/2007/04/23/1177180559774.html

pilotError
Apr 24, 2007, 10:12 AM
Looks like you guys have your own version of the Bermuda Triangle Brewing!

LethalWolfe
Apr 24, 2007, 10:31 AM
Wasn't there a film supposedly based on real life events where a group of friends are out in the ocean on a yacht when all jump in for a swim. They only then realize the boats sides are too tall and they can't get back on deck! :eek:

"Open Water 2"

Lethal

smueboy
Apr 24, 2007, 10:46 AM

That was also in a King of the Hill episode.

BigPrince
Apr 24, 2007, 10:51 AM
They very easily could have left port with the fenders dangling overboard and not even known about it.

I say insurance scam.

Interesting theory. I wonder if there life insurance policies will be reported about.

Coheebuzz
Apr 24, 2007, 11:25 AM
It wasn't an octopus, it wasn't the sharks, it was...

http://data.s-info.nu/data_page/1352/images/flippy.jpg

Flippy!

EricNau
Apr 24, 2007, 05:52 PM
5) The octopus dude out of Pirates of the Caribean 2, I don't know his name but he's cool...
No, it wasn't a kraken. According to legend, those only live off the coasts of Noway and Iceland.

Maybe Davy Jones himself is responsible! :D

sushi
Apr 24, 2007, 06:00 PM

I say insurance scam.
How would it work?

One guy I could see. But three guys?

zap2
Apr 24, 2007, 07:21 PM
T

I say insurance scam.

Then why bring the laptop? Noone would have ask any question about a laptop not being there, not everyone brings a laptop on a boat, but if you know your going to go missing, why waste a laptop?