PDA

View Full Version : I want to play Diablo II again...

Captain Planet
Apr 21, 2007, 02:04 PM
Too bad I have the version 1.0 disk of the game. I'd need to get the Battle Chest I suppose...the game is compatible with Macs now is it?

PlaceofDis
Apr 21, 2007, 02:08 PM
always has been compatible with Macs. but its not a Universal if your running on an intel mac so you might have some issues if you don't have enough RAM. most of the disks were hybrid and both installers on it. so double check em. there is an OS X installer on Blizzard's site too.

Captain Planet
Apr 21, 2007, 02:11 PM
No, my disk isn't...It's version 1.0. I bought the game in the first week it came out...some years back. I also got the expansion, when it first came out, version 1.07. The expansion might be compatible...but Diablo II itself isn't...I tried installing it but it does like any windows games I would try installing.

PlaceofDis
Apr 21, 2007, 02:13 PM
the expansion should be. so you could probably find a used copy of D2 online somewhere pretty good if you don't want to get the whole battle chest.

Captain Planet
Apr 21, 2007, 02:31 PM
Now that I think about it...I might get my old PC back up and hook it up with D2, but also get another Battle Chest to play it on my Mac. Not sure I will but it would be kind of fun...having two CD key. Could rush myself and other useful things like that.

Captain Planet
Apr 21, 2007, 02:41 PM
Oh but one thing I forgot to ask, does it play well on Macs? I've heard it had some problems and wasn't a whole lot of fun playing this on a Mac compared to PC...I am just talking non sense or is there really some issues with D2 on Macs?

madog
Apr 21, 2007, 02:48 PM
I started playing D2 a couple months ago in hopes that I could find some other people online who actually wanted to play through the game.... it was hopeless. Nobody appreciates that game anymore. "Rush me here, rush me there"...... why are people in so much of a hurry these days?

PlaceofDis
Apr 21, 2007, 02:49 PM
Oh but one thing I forgot to ask, does it play well on Macs? I've heard it had some problems and wasn't a whole lot of fun playing this on a Mac compared to PC...I am just talking non sense or is there really some issues with D2 on Macs?

i've never had an issue playing it on my iMac or powerbook.

Captain Planet
Apr 21, 2007, 02:50 PM
I'm guessing the servers lag though...can't do much about that.

Fezwick
Apr 21, 2007, 03:15 PM
I started playing D2 a couple months ago in hopes that I could find some other people online who actually wanted to play through the game.... it was hopeless. Nobody appreciates that game anymore. "Rush me here, rush me there"...... why are people in so much of a hurry these days?

That and all that hacking drove me away from the game.

If I could find a bunch of people to play with I'd consider playing again.

Eric5h5
Apr 21, 2007, 04:13 PM
is there really some issues with D2 on Macs?

There were issues with the game running slow in hardware mode (ironically) compared to software mode, but that was fixed ages ago (10.3.6 or 10.3.7, I forget). The only problem currently is that hardware acceleration doesn't work in full-screen mode on Intel Macs.

--Eric

Captain Planet
Apr 21, 2007, 04:27 PM
Oh and I would only need Diablo II Mac version...my Expansion disk is compatible with Macs. So I don't need to buy a Battle Chest...but I still need to get a copy of D2. Darn it...

Andrew D.
Apr 21, 2007, 07:21 PM
I recently reinstalled Diablo II on my PC, but haven't had a chance to really play it..

MarsUltor
Apr 23, 2007, 08:35 AM

I used to play D2 so much, but it has been a while... one of my all time favorites... what do you mean by hacking?

Andrew D.
Apr 23, 2007, 10:58 AM
I used to play D2 so much, but it has been a while... one of my all time favorites... what do you mean by hacking?

Hacking probably meaning the dupes and PvP hacks?

Trogloxene
Apr 23, 2007, 12:02 PM
I keep an old OS9 G4 laptop set up so that I can play that game, use old utilities like SoundEdit and Hypercard. Most Retro!

Diablo is such a nice mindless casual game.

-T

Lord Blackadder
Apr 23, 2007, 12:05 PM
I recently picked up a new copy of the Diablo II + expansion pack (not the battle chest) for about $25...

I never play online because of the cheating, but after a few weeks I'm up to level 40 with a paladin and level 30ish with a meleemancer (this has to be one of the tougher builds, but it's fun).

The game runs fine on my PowerMac G4 and Tiger, not sure if there are issues on the Intel Macs.

Fezwick
Apr 23, 2007, 01:39 PM

Hacking probably meaning the dupes and PvP hacks?

Yep. D2 is littered with dupes, hacks and botting. It was great to play online when first released.

mrgreen4242
Apr 24, 2007, 07:49 AM
I swear you could download an install application from Blizzard that would install the game in OSX using the PC only disc (the installer had all the executable files, and the game resources them selves can be reused from PC to OSX). I also had an old version of D2 and remembered installing it onto my Mac at some point using a method like that.

As a side note, I liked Diablo 1 better than 2... I know I'm in the minority on that but there it is.

Lord Blackadder
Apr 24, 2007, 08:50 AM
As a side note, I liked Diablo 1 better than 2... I know I'm in the minority on that but there it is.

Never played D1 myself; a friend of mine was into it but by the time I was introduced to the game D2 was out and that was that...

Eric5h5
Apr 24, 2007, 08:57 AM

For what it's worth, I agree. Minority++. :)

--Eric

Captain Planet
Apr 24, 2007, 12:41 PM
I swear you could download an install application from Blizzard that would install the game in OSX using the PC only disc (the installer had all the executable files, and the game resources them selves can be reused from PC to OSX). I also had an old version of D2 and remembered installing it onto my Mac at some point using a method like that.

Really? That'd be great...I wouldn't need to buy another copy of the game.

Jasonbot
Apr 25, 2007, 08:27 AM
I just bought Diablo 2 +expansion and Warcraft3 +expansion with a gift voucher I received a couple months back. The ironic thing is that I already own all these titles but sadly most of the disks just died. At least I have more CD keys now so my brother and I can play battle.net together.

The only problem I have is that I can't find a small image to satrt D2 anywhere online. I have one for WC3 but not D2, is there any way I can make one with my disk (which i OWN)

mattscott306
Apr 25, 2007, 08:29 AM
The only problem I have is that I can't find a small image to satrt D2 anywhere online. I have one for WC3 but not D2, is there any way I can make one with my disk (which i OWN)
I'm confused as to what you are asking... :confused:

Why do you need an online source to start D2?

ReanimationLP
Apr 25, 2007, 09:25 AM
You probably have a PC-only disc. Some of the very first printings of the Diablo II and Starcraft discs were the PC-only code. They're rather rare though.

On an off note, have you ever seen the episode of Robot Chicken with Captain Planet? :D :D :D

Jasonbot
Apr 25, 2007, 09:31 AM
I'm confused as to what you are asking...

Why do you need an online source to start D2?

Sorry about the ambiguity:D I am looking for a small image to play diablo to without the play CD. I was looking for the image on the internet.

So I am looking for a small image to start diablo 2 or I need a way to create an image with my own CD via disk utility.

mattscott306
Apr 25, 2007, 09:32 AM
You probably have a PC-only disc. Some of the very first printings of the Diablo II and Starcraft discs were the PC-only code. They're rather rare though.

On an off note, have you ever seen the episode of Robot Chicken with Captain Planet? :D :D :D

If he bought it from a store with a gift voucher one would assume the disks would be new (and in keeping with blizzard tradition- work with both PC's and macs), so I'm still confused.

Sorry about the ambiguity:D I am looking for a small image to play diablo to without the play CD. I was looking for the image on the internet.

So I am looking for a small image to start diablo 2 or I need a way to create an image with my own CD via disk utility.
Oh- that makes sense. I was under the impression CD "images" were frowned upon, else they would be easier to recreate.

Jasonbot
Apr 25, 2007, 09:47 AM
I made an image that works , but it's 500mb big, I'de prefer a smaller one that I could download.

And I get this problem when starting the game: (it works properly in windowed mode though)
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/615/picture1el5.png

//edit: anyone have a cool name for my assassain??

I also get this error :(
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6127/picture1zm5.png

cutsman
Apr 25, 2007, 11:03 AM
i still play d2 exp occasionally with the characters i've built from before.. couldn't stand to let them expire, so I log on now and again to make sure they're not deleted. I mainly play pvp nowadays as it requires no commitment and is rather brainless... i'd be up for the occasional game now and then...

The hacks are getting quite bad on there though. Farcast allows javazons to jab you from off screen... another hack modifies cast rates.. so you'll see characters casting/teleing at speeds never before possible.. and i believe they can do so without having to wear gear with faster cast rate... :eek: .

Captain Planet
Apr 26, 2007, 11:29 AM
So I went on Blizzard's website in Diablo II's section and I checked in the patches. There's this file you can download called Macintosh OS X Native installer. I have no idea what it is or what it does exactly...does anyone know?

Jasonbot
Apr 26, 2007, 01:02 PM
So I went on Blizzard's website in Diablo II's section and I checked in the patches. There's this file you can download called Macintosh OS X Native installer. I have no idea what it is or what it does exactly...does anyone know?

You need it to install D2 on OS X without the use of classic.

Captain Planet
Apr 26, 2007, 10:43 PM
What do you mean without the use of classic? Like without Diablo II CD?

Captain Planet
Apr 26, 2007, 10:49 PM
Omg! Sweet!! All this time I thought I'd need to buy a new copy of Diablo II because my original one was not Mac compatible, but now I've download that file and it's an installer, and since I have my CD Key, it'll work. This is great! :p

Captain Planet
Apr 26, 2007, 10:53 PM
Ahh damn...it askes for the CD anyways...so I put it in but it just spits it back out. :(

Captain Planet
Apr 26, 2007, 10:57 PM
That installer thing is pretty much useless...I mean it would just be the same if you put the CD's in yourself and install the game. Argh! I'm dissapointed...I thought for sure it would of worked out. God damn version 1.0 Diablo II...:(

Jasonbot
Apr 27, 2007, 04:05 AM
Your Diablo II windows CD's are useless, sorry to say. But you can get the game really cheap now so why not just go and buy it and save all the impossible hassle?

marcelo002
May 4, 2007, 11:09 AM

If I could find a bunch of people to play with I'd consider playing again.

I was thinking the same thing. I usually tend to get back into Diablo every 6 months. I think its about that time again. Maybe if we got enough mac rumor people together, I'd be willing to play again. I've never played through with a full group of people.

CJM
May 4, 2007, 01:19 PM
I never really played Diablo.. I should've, shouldn't I?

And now that I've gotten a new mac it would seem a shame to run such a low rez game on it.. ;P

I know there's a Mac OS X installer download. I've got one for Starcraft.

I'd definitely buy a Diablo 3 if it came out. :) Haven't played a good RPG in a long time.

hauntedcity
May 4, 2007, 07:28 PM
I made an image that works , but it's 500mb big, I'de prefer a smaller one that I could download.

And I get this problem when starting the game: (it works properly in windowed mode though)
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/615/picture1el5.png

The same thing happens to me! Anybody have a way around this? Also, how could I run it in windowed mode (although it would probably be too small, wouldn't it)?

Thanks,

Doug

Jasonbot
May 5, 2007, 01:43 AM
The same thing happens to me! Anybody have a way around this? Also, how could I run it in windowed mode (although it would probably be too small, wouldn't it)?

Thanks,

Doug

You need to run the game in software rendering mode (256 colours) to make it work in OS X.

JuNioR04
Apr 14, 2008, 03:35 AM
Hey there, I am wondering if anyone has installed Farcast on a Mac Computer, I have a Macbook running Leopard OS X 10.5, I am new to the whole mac thing, I can get this to work on my windows computer no problem, but really would like to know how to successfully get farcast going on my Mac! Thanks alot!