PDA

View Full Version : How Bout This For A G5 Case Design

zuggerat
Jun 19, 2003, 05:46 PM
how bout this for a pretty case design for the upcoming G5...i'd buy it

Abstract
Jun 19, 2003, 05:55 PM
Thats a very nice garbage can, but where's the computer? ;)

What about expandability? What if I want to put another CDRW/DVD player in it or something. How about USB and FW800 at the front of the machine?

zuggerat
Jun 19, 2003, 05:58 PM
moderator warning...

Personal attacks WILL NOT be tolerated on this site.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 19, 2003, 06:25 PM
i need a new trash can anyways. i thought this was a post about new g5 case? or does the g5 have a dual-purpose case:

half computer, half trash can. hell yea.

Sun Baked
Jun 19, 2003, 06:46 PM
:confused:

Trash can...

I thought we were getting a G5 processor from IBM, not a x86 processor from Intel or AMD.

If you design a trash can, at least remember to put an Intel Inside sticker on the front instead of an Apple logo.

kansaigaijin
Jun 19, 2003, 07:10 PM
that is very nice bit of work, compliments on the design. could be carbon fibre body, and polished nickel plated handles , slick indeed.

not everyone want a PC like bunch of crap hanging off the front of their computer.

and didnot you mothers tell you, if you can't say anything nice, S-T-F-UP!

patrick0brien
Jun 19, 2003, 07:39 PM
-Wow!

Now that looks like an Ive design! First of the speculation pics that comes close. Personally, I kinda like it!

The cheesgrater on the top would certainly make cooling more efficient. Looks small too!

Kid Red
Jun 19, 2003, 07:41 PM
All of you who say trash can, where are you from? I'm 31, had 6+ residence and I'm currently a home owner and have NEVER seen or ONWED a rectangular trash can. All of my trash cans are cylinders or tall squarish shaped rectangular height-wise not width-wise.

I know you are being sarcastic but I don't see the relevance and therefore it's not funny. I happen to like the design.

actripxl
Jun 19, 2003, 07:50 PM
I replied on the other thread with the same pic, and my judgement is still the same. This thing looks really cool, I love the simplicity in the design and the colors. I just wish I could buy one of these things but until I finally finish school in about a year, gotta stick to laptops.

jkojima
Jun 19, 2003, 07:52 PM
All of you who say trash can, where are you from?

Canada eh. I had a Goofy trash can that was rectangular when I was a kid. And I've seen many kitchen trash cans that are rectangular.

That being said, I think this is a nice design. I didn't think trash can when I saw it, I thought G4 Cube meets G4 Quicksilver. Nice!

Vlade
Jun 19, 2003, 07:57 PM
My post was deleted because I said you shouldn't personally attack people :(

I like it, it looks nice but its missing another optical drive.

Vlade
Jun 19, 2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
have NEVER seen or ONWED a rectangular trash can.

http://www.hellomerry.com/catcam/pictures/digital/babies/smaller/sam%20and%20max%20in%20trash%20can%203.jpg

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 19, 2003, 08:06 PM
face it this machine looks great, i also notice there has been 2 post of this machine ,one slightly taller -say maybe for the pro a 1.8 giger and more expansion and for the home hobbyist gamer like me a shorter version say a 1.4???

iJon
Jun 19, 2003, 08:07 PM
please move out of the way, photoshop experts coming in :D let us know what you think.

iJon

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 19, 2003, 08:09 PM
Hey ijon, you think this could be it?

iJon
Jun 19, 2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Hey ijon, you think this could be it?
i probably didnt phrase that right. i was basically signalling the photoshop users to tell us there thoughts, i know how to use photoshop, but no expert. personally i feel it looks awesome.

iJon

Mr. Anderson
Jun 19, 2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i probably didnt phrase that right. i was basically signalling the photoshop users to tell us there thoughts, i know how to use photoshop, but no expert. personally i feel it looks awesome.

iJon

This is more than just photoshop - its a 3D rendering - nice one too - probably using radiosity. But it is a fake (Apple doesn't use black backgrounds) and there isn't any indication of 'options' for the drives - just a smooth front.

And no USB/Firewire/Speaker as well....

D

iJon
Jun 19, 2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
This is more than just photoshop - its a 3D rendering - nice one too - probably using radiosity. But it is a fake (Apple doesn't use black backgrounds) and there isn't any indication of 'options' for the drives - just a smooth front.

And no USB/Firewire/Speaker as well....

D
yeah never really though about it, does look pretty though.

iJon

MisterMe
Jun 19, 2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by zuggerat
how bout this for a pretty case design for the upcoming G5...i'd buy it This same image was posted on Spymac months ago. Move along. Nothing to see here.

mnkeybsness
Jun 19, 2003, 09:20 PM
it's gotta have at least two optical drive spots. i would not buy another tower without two spots. ugh...what a hassle sometimes.

Mal
Jun 19, 2003, 09:28 PM
I think it looks great, although it would need some more expansion than is obvious. But it may not be too far off.

JW

Abstract
Jun 19, 2003, 09:30 PM
I agree with ^^.

@Zuggerat: I don't even know what you wrote about me in your reply back, but I was joking. I actually DO have a garbage bin under my sink in my kitchen that's the same grey colour as your machine. Same shape as well. I didn't actually insult your design. That's why I added the symbol after my garbage can statement --- it was a joke. Sometimes I wonder about this place...

Its great. I can only hope that Apple releases a machine that looks that good. I'm being serious. No smiley face. See? Also, no smiley face in front of my comment about the lack of multiple optical drive locations, or FW800/USB ports. They CAN be stuck near the bottom of the front face and not look ugly, as long as it has a face plate that can cover it up when not being used.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 19, 2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
:confused:

Trash can...

I thought we were getting a G5 processor from IBM, not a x86 processor from Intel or AMD.

If you design a trash can, at least remember to put an Intel Inside sticker on the front instead of an Apple logo.

omg do you people have NO imagination whatsoever???? i feel sorry for you...

the case looks like what is commonly reffered to as a trash can, which is usually where your trash goes. the design resembles a trash can heavily.

omg...:mad:

ddtlm
Jun 19, 2003, 10:11 PM
I'd rather keep the old-school case, or have that other square fake one. Thumbs down. This case lacks elegance.

job
Jun 19, 2003, 10:18 PM
It looks like a really fancy paper shredder. ;) :D

If it's a 'pro' tower though, I think there should be at least two optical drives.

Huked on Fonick
Jun 20, 2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Abstract

What about expandability? What if I want to put another CDRW/DVD player in it or something. How about USB and FW800 at the front of the machine?

HAHAHAHAHA that made me laugh, that was hilarous!!

applemacdude
Jun 20, 2003, 10:35 PM
What about this?

patrick0brien
Jun 20, 2003, 10:39 PM
-applemacdude

Very nice. :D

How long did that take?

gopher
Jun 20, 2003, 10:46 PM
I for one don't like the idea of the speaker in front. I think the speakers should be on the sides to give more of a stereo sound.

applemacdude
Jun 20, 2003, 10:50 PM
Actually I didn't make it. I got it from some website...

zuggerat
Jun 21, 2003, 12:37 AM
sorry about that before abstract i was cranky that day...sorry to everyone...no more red text

ddtlm
Jun 21, 2003, 01:55 AM
Perhaps I'm just always negative, but I have probably never seen a case design by an enthusiast that I found acceptable. The real Mac designers have a certain touch that somehow makes the look work, even on bad designs like the mirror door Macs. The squareish metal case from last week is probably an exception to above statement, because somehow it had the professionalism to it.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 21, 2003, 01:55 AM
i honestly think apple should scrap the speaker in the front and just include the 2 speaker balls instead of having it as an option. the front speaker's sound is horrible, and the 2 balls put out some actually very nice sound for their size...

ddtlm
Jun 21, 2003, 02:03 AM
G3-Pwnz-G4:

Actually I use the single crap speaker a lot because I don't do games/music/movies on my Mac (recently). It is much more tidy than having extra wires and speakers all over and all under my table. The way I see it, the monospeaker is great as-is.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 21, 2003, 02:06 AM
hmm...didn't thikn of it from that perspective....

true. well, i retract my previous statement. i dunno how the new in the box speaker sounds, but i know that the one in my current b&w g3 sucks...badly...which is why i have my computer hooked up to a dolby surround sound speaker system with 140watts per channel and a 10" subwoofer...with each sattelite speaker having a 10" woofer, 5" midrange, and 2" tweeter...

i like loud things:D

ddtlm
Jun 21, 2003, 02:12 AM
G3-Pwnz-G4:

It kicks butt compared to the *beep* *beep* speaker in my Linux machine. :D Oh, and it's shiny!

(Thats a lot of speaker power you've got there.)

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 21, 2003, 02:13 AM
lol, so is my stereo. i got it custom painted in silver. very shiney!!!!:D

Wardofsky
Jun 21, 2003, 04:07 AM
The pic posted by applemacdude looks like a modified MDD G4 squashed by a couble of bricks.

Well, it does look pudgy...

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 21, 2003, 04:47 AM
well actually all the maker did to create the image was cut off the handles, then cut and paste the speaker and replace what was the speaker with a piece of another part of the front. very simple really.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 21, 2003, 07:26 AM
either way it looks like crap in my book, I dont really think apple will use a case that is so similar to the current design. They have a new cpu and most likely will have a new case that disassociates itself from the current model ( I hope ) also maybe it is time to ditch that single speaker. I have never used mine and if you are trying to design a newer less costly tower you dont need it.

marco_ppc
Jun 21, 2003, 07:43 AM
a guy sent to us at www.ppcnerds.org a description of the case. someone else sent a picture too. we published the description but not the picture. stil thinking about publishing it or not...

The description seems to be near to something rumored here too so it could be just a fake.

ddtlm
Jun 21, 2003, 03:14 PM
Dont Hurt Me:

I use my little speaker, so do my parents, and I'm sure a lot of other people do too. For a lot of things its just not worth the extra clutter of separate speakers.

pgwalsh
Jun 21, 2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Abstract

Haha... I like the design, but then you comment stuck with me.. haha