PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express 802.11n - accessing USB Hard disk over the internet?

dadahip
Apr 26, 2007, 08:21 PM
**correction --AIRPORT EXTREME-- not Airport Express**

Help!

I can not find documentation ANYWHERE that explains - specifically - how to configure my Airport Extreme to access the attached USB hard drive from the internet.

Has anyone successfully done this? I would like to type in an address and have it go directly to the drive.

I think I've done everything in the airport utility that I'm supposed to do, and I've set up a dynamic dns account and opened up port 80.

What am I missing?

danielbriggs
May 6, 2007, 07:56 AM
I'm really interested in doing the same.

I've got a WD MyBook Pro 500GB which I use Firewire 800 to transfer files fast when I'm at my desk, But I wan't to add it to the network and access it remotely.

I've found this article:
http://www.macworld.com/forums/u****reads/showflat.php?Number=489769

and: http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/airportn/#features

I thought you would type http://.xxx but I've never heard of typing afp://.xxx

Let me know if it works, and this will hinge my decision on buying the Airport extreme, as I have a bt homehub wireless g box, so wouldn't mind getting the n spec and the printer/file sharing. But I'm not upgrading the router just for the n spec!

Dan :-)

dadahip
May 8, 2007, 08:41 PM
OK, I got it going and it was very easy.

First setup your disk using the Airport Utility.

Then, I set up an account at dyndns.org. I created a free account and chose my domain name, then told it my ip address (can be found by typing "what is my ip" in google). If you don't have a static ip (most people don't), you will need to find a program that tells dyndns.org when your ip address has changed. I haven't gotten that far yet however.

Then, I typed in xxx.xxx.net (the dyndns domain name), and was greeted by a password dialoge. I entered my user name and password and bingo - I could see the hard drive and it's shares. You can also access it by just typing afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your ip address)

We even were able to stream music from our networked drive! Awesome.

williedigital
May 10, 2007, 02:33 PM
Then, I typed in xxx.xxx.net (the dyndns domain name), and was greeted by a password dialoge. I entered my user name and password and bingo - I could see the hard drive and it's shares. You can also access it by just typing afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your ip address)

Where do you "just type it"? And even better, where do you type it from a windows machine?

dadahip
May 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
Where do you "just type it"? And even better, where do you type it from a windows machine?

I type it in the address bar - same place you would type in any web address. I can't promise it will work with Windows because I have never tried it, but it should work.

georgeoommen
Oct 11, 2007, 09:17 AM
have you tried doing this while connected to a network other than your home network? ie. set up the disk on your home network, pop down to your friends house, connected to his network and checked if this still works?

i find it a little strange that the airport extreme would be default direct the http request the airport disk. but then again that might be the case when following apple's "it just works" mantra!:)

Sinsinnati
Oct 11, 2007, 09:44 AM
I have yet to get it to work. I just see the beachball spinning. Is there something we need to configure in the Airport Extreme to open it up to the internet?

georgeoommen
Oct 11, 2007, 10:11 AM
I have yet to get it to work. I just see the beachball spinning. Is there something we need to configure in the Airport Extreme to open it up to the internet?

try pinging the ip address.. if u get a reply then you should be fine from a firewall perspective..

Sinsinnati
Oct 12, 2007, 10:57 AM
try pinging the ip address.. if u get a reply then you should be fine from a firewall perspective..

I can't ping my Airport Extreme outside my network.

georgi0
Mar 5, 2009, 01:03 AM
what about if your airport is bridged to a DSL modem/router.
which ports do you need to open and have access by typing afp://xx or http://xx from the address bar?

thanks

jcb10
Mar 5, 2009, 11:38 AM
Help!

I can not find documentation ANYWHERE that explains - specifically - how to configure my Airport Extreme to access the attached USB hard drive from the internet.

I'm a bit confused -- you said in the title/headline that you're using an Airport Express (the little router that's just a plug-in box), but in the text you say you're using an Airport Extreme (the full base station). Which is it?

The reason I ask, is that Apple says you can't use the USB on the Express for anything but a printer.

alphaod
Mar 6, 2009, 02:18 AM
I'm a bit confused -- you said in the title/headline that you're using an Airport Express (the little router that's just a plug-in box), but in the text you say you're using an Airport Extreme (the full base station). Which is it?

The reason I ask, is that Apple says you can't use the USB on the Express for anything but a printer.

It's 2 year old thread. ;)

flanamac
Mar 6, 2009, 07:31 AM
Not sure of the internet security of this setup. I wouldn't want others accessing my files via the internet at home and that is why I have a secure network at home blind to all others.

I thought about doing this, but using the net to breach my own network wouldn't be wise I think. If I can do it, others can to, or perhaps I didn't quite understand what all is involved.

nino6689
Jan 18, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I’m in need of some help…….. I have been working at this for six hours and the hard drive is about to go out the window!!!!

What I am trying to do is access my hard drives (2) that are connected to my home network over the internet.

My network setup is as follows, I have a ADSL connection which is connected to a Belkin N1 Router/modem, I then have two airport extremes connected to one hard drive each. My home network works fine I can access all hard drives regardless of which access point I am connected to.

Now I have set up a dyndns account and the belkin has a feature where I put the details in and it automatically updates the ip address. I can type in my xxxxx.dyndns.net:8080 into my browser and can get to the belkin router setup page……. But that’s as far as I can get.

I don’t know how to forward the ports or the numbers to the two airport routers to gain access to the discs

I would appreciate any help you guys can give

Thanks Nino

danielbriggs
Jan 18, 2010, 07:35 PM
Wow, what an old thread!

I purchased my Apple Time capsule, because the guy in the Apple store specifically said you could access files from it over the internet. So bought it, took it home and struggled. Took it back to the shop and the other people there said this was never possible. Determined not to be defeated I took it back home and (after a lot of messing) sorted it out! I even wrote a guide on how to do it, printed it off and took a copy into the store next time I was passing :cool: (I'm sure they binned it :()

So, IT IS POSSIBLE.
But typically, I can't for the life of me find that document. I reckon it was lost when one of my 500GB drives died... :mad:

In short:
1.) Assign your TimeCapsule or AirPort a reserved DHCP address, so it will always get the same IP.
2.) Port forward, both TCP and UDP ports 445 and 548 to that IP. (Instructions on web for port forwarding - you may have to define a custom service to add those ports)
3.) Ensure you Dyndns account is setup and working
4.) Make sure in AirPort utility Enable file sharing is ticked under disk access.
5.) Then just map a drive from another computer (outside your network) to you dyndns account and your done ;)

If you need more details I can try and whip something up - but low on time at the moment.

Hope that helps,
Dan

nino6689
Jan 18, 2010, 07:56 PM
Nice one!!!

It was all to do with those port numbers!!

How did you know what number to put in?

Thanks for all your help Dan

danielbriggs
Jan 19, 2010, 06:05 AM
No worries. I take it is working well then Nino? :)

I worked out which protocols the box of tricks used and looked up the corresponding port numbers hoping they were standard ports = Job Done :)

All the best,
Dan

NICU420YEM
Feb 4, 2010, 02:03 PM
I can't for the life of me figure this out can someone give me a hand?

danielbriggs
Feb 4, 2010, 02:06 PM
I can't for the life of me figure this out can someone give me a hand?

Can you be more specific? :rolleyes:
How far have you got...?

NICU420YEM
Feb 5, 2010, 09:47 AM
Sorry just saw this I get to the part where I have to put the settings inside of my Airport Extreme through Airport Utility.

danielbriggs
Feb 5, 2010, 09:50 AM
Try this:

4.) Make sure in AirPort utility Enable file sharing is ticked under disk access.

NICU420YEM
Feb 5, 2010, 07:45 PM
So I have access to it through my .mac account does thta mean anything?

MacBook MH
Feb 13, 2010, 04:42 AM
@Dan an everyone who knows how to help...

What do you mean by step 1 and 2???

danielbriggs
Feb 13, 2010, 09:17 AM
@MacBook MH,
Step 1 was only so your TimeCapsule (or whatever device it is) always gets the same IP. For my router this is needed so step 2 can happen. Depending on the way your router works, you may be able to assign port forwarding to a device rather than IP. In that case step 1 is not needed.

I personally assign reserved DHCP addresses for all "public" bits of kit. i.e. Access points, printers etc, and leave desktops and laptops to grab whatever IP they want. Just makes things a bit easier overall.

Attached are some images from my router (Netgear). Yours may well be different. It will also be 192.168.1.x rather than the 125.125.125.x but you get the idea. Just stick to whatever range it's currently set for.

If you have a Netgear router, click on "LAN IP setup" on the left menu, and fill in the bits needed.
Once applied, you may need to reboot the box and attached devices if the IP's overlap, or it currently has a different one that what you've typed in the assign box.

P.S. If you need the MAC address of the Airport/Time Capsule box, open Airport Utility and the "Ethernet ID" should be shown somewhere on the first page.

Hope that helps,
Dan

Step 1a:
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5914/step1a.png

Step 1b:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7453/step1b.png

Edit: Just saw you wanted help on step 2 as well.
I'd recommend googling "Port forwarding" + the make and model of your router. That will give much clearer instructions. But these are the steps for my Netgear.

You will need to define two custom services, for the ports 445 and 548.
(See the first two screenshots).

Then when your two services have been saved. Click on firewall rules, and add those two services to the inbound list (turn the log off).
Press Apply, and you're done!
(See last screenshot)

Step 2a:
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4069/step2a.png

Step 2b:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3038/step2b.png

Step 2c:
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2539/step2c.png

MacBook MH
Feb 13, 2010, 09:41 AM
ok understood... my AirPort Extrem keeps telling me this... see picture... when i try to map a port.
Im using AirPort Extreme

danielbriggs
Feb 13, 2010, 09:47 AM
Do you have a separate ADSL or other router/modem?
I assumed that was the case.

If you just have a cable line in straight to the Airport Extreme, skip to step 3.

MacBook MH
Feb 13, 2010, 09:55 AM
yes... i have a modem.. but there isnt anything i can change there....

danielbriggs
Feb 13, 2010, 09:57 AM
Ok, miss out 1 and 2 :)

MacBook MH
Feb 13, 2010, 10:06 AM
Wow it works...
But I noticed... that not every time... This I already managed to do alone before like 3 weeks. But its very, very unsteady and it keeps falling out. I think the HDDs firmware forces the drive to turn into a standby mode in some time. Then it simply wont work until I restart the router, or plug out the drive. Thats why I wrote to this thread, because i thought Im doing something wrong.

So any suggestions?
I thought of pluging a normal usb key into the AirPort E, because the other HDD has an external power source. Or maybe using a usb hub with external power source would do it?

What do I have to do to print via internet?
I noticed that for Mac form. drives is afp:// and for both Win/Mac smb://
SO how do i print?
THX in advance

danielbriggs
Feb 13, 2010, 10:29 AM
Excellent! :)
I'm guessing the drive spins down.
This is usually due to the caddy the drive is in. Try another USB hard drive enclosure (powered). Or like you said, a USB stick would be good. You could get a cheap 4,8,16GB drive just for documents and that.

Printing is a whole different kettle of fish, and i'd go as far as to say it's not possible with the Apple firmware. Perhaps you should look at a VPN setup?

MacBook MH
Feb 13, 2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks for suggestion,
I will try the usb stick and something else too.
The printing isnt necessary... I just thought I could use it if it would be possible... I havent counted with it anyway

Bye

verakot
Aug 9, 2010, 07:27 PM
Trying to setup Airport Extreme with a USB HDD shared over the Internet. The instructions on this thread did not work. Apple actually advertises that you can only use it with MobileMe. Can somebody confirm this?

bt22
Aug 9, 2010, 07:46 PM
Regardless if you are using windows or Mac you have to format the drive attached to your Airport Extreme as Fat32 or if on a Mac, Mac os extended journaled. Once connected to the Airport Extreme on a windows machine you can click on the icon in the bottom right tool bar, sorry can't remember what it's called. Once you click on this icon you will see the name of your router for example "Office" click on that name and you will be prompted for the password on your router. Supply the password and you will see that drive as a networked drive. On a mac you go to finder and will see the name of your router under shared. Double click the name and then double click the name of the router and supply the password. You will see the drive on your desktop. I use mine for wireless Time Machine Backups and I love it. I have really started liking all things Mac compared to my Windows experience. Can't wait to add a Mac Desktop.

bohbot16
Aug 9, 2010, 08:39 PM
Trying to setup Airport Extreme with a USB HDD shared over the Internet. The instructions on this thread did not work. Apple actually advertises that you can only use it with MobileMe. Can somebody confirm this?

Yes, you need MobileMe. Once the Airport Extreme is set up with your MobileMe account you can access its AirDisk over the internet on your Mac. I've done it a number of times.

verakot
Aug 10, 2010, 10:54 AM
Yes, you need MobileMe. Once the Airport Extreme is set up with your MobileMe account you can access its AirDisk over the internet on your Mac. I've done it a number of times.

MobileMe is not free, so I am trying to find a solution that is free. For example, this: http://funwithosx.blogspot.com/

It worked for me for a while, then stopped working. Not sure if this is a DyDNS issue.

verakot
Aug 10, 2010, 10:56 AM
Regardless if you are using windows or Mac you have to format the drive attached to your Airport Extreme as Fat32 or if on a Mac, Mac os extended journaled. Once connected to the Airport Extreme on a windows machine you can click on the icon in the bottom right tool bar, sorry can't remember what it's called. Once you click on this icon you will see the name of your router for example "Office" click on that name and you will be prompted for the password on your router. Supply the password and you will see that drive as a networked drive. On a mac you go to finder and will see the name of your router under shared. Double click the name and then double click the name of the router and supply the password. You will see the drive on your desktop. I use mine for wireless Time Machine Backups and I love it. I have really started liking all things Mac compared to my Windows experience. Can't wait to add a Mac Desktop.

This would work for a network, but not for the Internet access to the shared HDD drive.

daveevans76
Apr 9, 2011, 04:47 PM
Sooooo...this is my first post here as I am fairly new to the new Mac world. It has been a long time in the making!

I know this thread is a little old but I am having issues accessing my HDD connected to my Airport Extreme over the internet. My AE is connected directly to the internet, my mobile me is active in the device, and my HDD shows up when I am on my network. When I switch over to my guest network, I can no longer see it in the sharing section of my sidebar on my machine. I read somewhere that, in addition all this, you have to have a public IP vs. a private IP from you ISP. Is this correct and could this be the reason that I cannot access the drive?

I know there are a ton of possibilities but have to start somewhere ;) Thanks all for the advice and help!

danielbriggs
Apr 9, 2011, 07:00 PM
Dave,
Have you read the whole thread? :confused:
Specifically post 15?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9106725&postcount=15

Ta,
Dan

daveevans76
Apr 10, 2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks Dan!

I have never used Dyndns and so I am not that familiar with it. So the whole feature that Apple publicizes with this drive of "over internet access with MobileMe account" is not as easy as they say it is then huh? It seems that the steps you list are not as the device is intended? I will give it a shot but disappointed that you need to go through all these steps, I guess the upside is that you don't need to pay $100 for MM ;)

danielbriggs
Apr 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah, at the time I too was annoyed...
I took it back and they were very quick to offer me my money back for a return. However... I said to them "If I wanted the money, I wouldn't have bought this damn white box! - I want remote access to my files!" :D

Years later... it's still going, just for TC backups and the odd archive. And while I *CAN* access my files on it remotely, I don't. I just leave the laptop on and RDP in and work "pseudo-locally" ;)

That said, give it a try... if you get stuck; let me know - we'll get you working :)

Ta,
Dan

SABOND21
Jul 9, 2011, 08:29 AM
Hi guys, I have question: I live in Canada and the biggest corps offer internet just with traffic (not unlimited), but some companies offer USB sticks with no contract unlimited internet. Does anyone know, is it possible to make work AirPort Express with this data stick by connecting USB stick in it? I just don't want to loose signal strength or there is no point of trying to connect this stick through USB into APX?

danielbriggs
Jul 9, 2011, 08:32 AM
No, it won't work.

Try something like one of these:
http://www.netgear.com/3G

SABOND21
Jul 9, 2011, 09:03 AM
No, it won't work.

Try something like one of these:
http://www.netgear.com/3G

Thanks, problem solved!