PDA

View Full Version : Diablo II problems on Intel+OS X

Jasonbot
Apr 27, 2007, 04:58 AM
I bought and installed Diablo II and Lord of Destruction with the OS X installer. After that I proceeded to install the 1.11b (carbon) updater. All of this went off without hassle.

The problem comes in when I tried to create any expansion only character (Assassain+Druid) doing so would crash the game at the loading screen. Any thing I tried failed including creating a character on a working computer's Diablo II and moving it over to mine. So I gave up and created an Amazon in exansion mode. I made it to the fifth act alright but then I picked up an awesome weapon which, when I try to equip it, will crash the game.

Does any one know how to fix it? I've already tried a reinstall. That didn't work. And: Has anyone else been affected by the same problems?

Lord Blackadder
Apr 27, 2007, 12:11 PM
That is strange...Ever since I reinstalled Diablo II on my PowerMac G4 a few months ago I've had problems. Performance is fine but it crashes fairly often. The game will often hang, with the music skipping, for up to 3 minutes, after which it will be fine. After killing Diablo on Normal difficulty the game gung for 5 minutes, and then was fine...but sometimes the game just crashes. At first I thought my GPU was overheating, but it is running within its usual temperature ranges, so I'm pretty sure it is a software issue.

It may simply be that OS X 10.4 has some issues with Diablo II, and considering that they have long since halted further development for the game I don't expect Blizzard to release any more bug fixes.

I don't know what to recommend, other than backing up your characters and reinstalling the game - but you've done that. Try reinstalling and running it without the 1.11b updater and see if the same crashing happens.

Jasonbot
Apr 27, 2007, 01:53 PM
Will my saves still work if I don't install the 1.11 updater again? Surely there could be some problems with that?

mikenguyen
Apr 27, 2007, 01:55 PM
That is a strange problem. I've installed d2+expansion with no problems.
I experience crashing from time to time but never from creating new characters or picking up items.

Best thing to do is try to change some options such as resolution or video settings. Also I find playing in window mode (Apple + M) tends to have few problems.

Jasonbot
Apr 27, 2007, 02:06 PM
Are you running Diablo on Intel or PPC? I get the same issues whether in windowed mode or not. Th eonly difference is taht when in windowed mode I get an error screen, in full screen I just get freezing.

Error message:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9873/picture1st6.png

mikenguyen
Apr 27, 2007, 06:02 PM
Are you running Diablo on Intel or PPC? I get the same issues whether in windowed mode or not. Th eonly difference is taht when in windowed mode I get an error screen, in full screen I just get freezing.

Error message:

I'm running Intel, but I also ran it on PPC. I got the same error message. It only occurred when I switched between window mode and full screen while playing. Have you tried making the druid or assassin through battlenet? do you get the error msg?

Don't know whether this will make a difference but I made an image of the expansion CD on my Hard Drive. So whenever I would play I would just mount the image.

a2daj
Apr 27, 2007, 10:53 PM
I few things to watch out for:

1. There are two separate patches for Diablo II and the expansion pack. The Expansion pack patches are typically labeled LOD*.dmg. The standard version is labelled Diablo_2*.dmg. Depending on how you installed and patched the game you may have accidentally installed the standard patch over an expansion pack installation. This would causes crashes any time you do anything with the Assassin and Druid classes.

2. There's a bug in the game which causes the game to crash if you run on an Intel Mac with OpenGL rendering. To work around it use software rendering. Start up the game and hold down either command or option (it's one of them) if you disabled the dialog box that usually pops up if you start the game. You should be able to change the renderer used.

Jasonbot
Apr 28, 2007, 04:29 AM
It seems I have the incorrect patch. No wonder all my icons looked like D2 icons:eek: Ill fix it up and post the results.

Lord Blackadder
Apr 28, 2007, 09:51 AM
Hmm, good call on that. Hopefully that will solve your problems.

dancingwaldo
Jun 21, 2007, 07:10 PM

Error message:

I keep getting that message too, it usually happens when I try to play with other people but sometimes even when im in a battlenet room by myself it'll display this message. I heard somewhere that if you re-install it but only install the 1.10 patch that it'll work fine but everytime I install diablo 2 and patch it, it patches 1.11. Anyone know how to get around that?

tashpool
Jul 6, 2008, 06:55 PM
Any update on this?
I reinstalled Diablo 2 on my Intel iMac and got everything up and running except it always freezes when I try to load the expansion. When I run it in a window, I get the same fatal error that others are seeing.

imassents
Jul 6, 2008, 09:40 PM
The answer was posted above.

Reinstall the game and be sure to patch using the expansion patch - do not use the standard non-expansion patch at all.
ftp://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo2exp/patches/Mac/LOD%20Patcher%20112a%20(Carbon).zip

Hopefully that helps.

Nicyat32
Jul 7, 2008, 04:58 PM
I recently installed Diablo II and the Expansion pack on my Mac using the OS X Installer. I then downloaded the expansion patch from the Apple website. It installed fine but when I try to run it, it says, "The application Diablo II quit unexpectedly" and asks if I want to relaunch it. I've tried reinstalling it but that didn't work. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this?

golemite
Aug 19, 2008, 11:02 AM
do you have a nvidia videocard? you might have this problem:

http://70.181.80.166:82/blog/archives/2008/07/mac-os-10531054-nvidia-256-colors.html

Nicyat32
Aug 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
No, I have an Intel GMA X3100. Thanks for the help though.

bokdol
Aug 21, 2008, 08:37 AM
the gma x3100 also does not support 256 colors. you will have problems with alot of oldergames with this machine. unless some came out with a patch.

imassents
Aug 22, 2008, 04:49 AM
The installer linked about 4 posts above, does work for intel GMA X3100's, read the page and it will confirm it. It was originally designed for nVidia cards, but it was later discovered that the process works for intel cards as well.

Do not uninstall the drivers through as it may break. You do not need to uninstall them anyway as any future updates will overwrite the drivers no matter what version they are.

If you do need to revert back, please download the 10.5.4 combo update and install it over the top (may need to install a security patch after this).

Rockenbicker
Nov 4, 2008, 05:07 PM
I recently installed Diablo II and the Expansion pack on my Mac using the OS X Installer. I then downloaded the expansion patch from the Apple website. It installed fine but when I try to run it, it says, "The application Diablo II quit unexpectedly" and asks if I want to relaunch it. I've tried reinstalling it but that didn't work. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this?

the exact same thing happened to me. how do you fix this problem

ajames
Nov 21, 2008, 07:04 PM
Diablo 2 repeatedly says it quit unexpectedly on my macbook intel core duo osx 10.5.5 as i've seen this problem is common. can anyone help?

jmb667
Nov 24, 2008, 05:53 PM
Diablo 2 repeatedly says it quit unexpectedly on my macbook intel core duo osx 10.5.5 as i've seen this problem is common. can anyone help?

This is a problem with the x3100 integrated graphics chip. Blizzard is working on a fix and should have something for us by the end of the year (according to rbarris). There's another D2 thread here about this, with more details.

rbarris
Nov 25, 2008, 02:02 PM
We're evaluating the idea of a beta release for the fix, single player or LAN only, no battle.net mode - let us know if this would appeal to you while the final patch is being constructed.

palebluedot
Nov 25, 2008, 06:29 PM
We're evaluating the idea of a beta release for the fix, single player or LAN only, no battle.net mode - let us know if this would appeal to you while the final patch is being constructed.

Nah I'd say dont waste the time... I'm pretty sure all of us play on BNET except the jerks who illegally own the game so it wouldn't really help any of us. We'll just waste for the BNET patch please :)

jmb667
Nov 25, 2008, 06:38 PM

If it wouldn't take away from the time line of the final patch, I say "Yes, please!" It would give us something to use in the mean time. For myself, I never play on Battle.net...only solo and local IP games.

KingNothing13
Nov 25, 2008, 09:13 PM
If it wouldn't take away from the time line of the final patch, I say "Yes, please!" It would give us something to use in the mean time. For myself, I never play on Battle.net...only solo and local IP games.

Same here, I rarely play on b.net. Ermm...played (can't play right now!)

joshbing
Nov 26, 2008, 12:11 AM

that would be a great idea. i only play solo so that would be very helpful. ive missed playing d2.

rbarris
Nov 26, 2008, 12:40 PM
We're moving ahead with that - there will be a beta version posted on macgamefiles.com sometime today. It won't work on battle.net since it hasn't gone through the full signing/test process for battle.net yet. But it should work correctly on X3100 in both OpenGL and software rendered mode.

Here is the README from the beta.

--

25-Nov-2008

README for "Diablo II BETA-for-X3100 (Carbon)"

This is a beta release of Diablo II (Carbon) for Mac OS X, which should run correctly on machines with the Intel 965 / GMX 3100 chipset, under all versions of Leopard OS.

As you may know, support for 256-color display mode was removed from the X3100 drivers in mid 2008 and this made Diablo II incompatible. This beta has new code which addresses that conflict.

If you have a machine that is currently running Diablo II correctly, this build will have no additional value for you, and you should continue using your existing copy as-is.

Since this release is a beta edition and has not been made into a finalized patch, please note these issues and limitations.

a) do not replace your existing Diablo II (Carbon) with this application. Just drop this BETA application as-is into your Diablo II folder and run it instead of the original. You will need the original still in place when the patch ships.

b) the BETA version should be able to support single player mode, but due to its beta form will not sign on to battle.net, or be able to patch itself. LAN play has not been fully tested and may work correctly for you, but may have bugs - please keep in mind that this is beta software and we would appreciate any feedback that you have.

c) when the next Diablo II patch is released, you can delete the BETA version, then run the original version and it will be patched.

Comments, questions or bug reports should be directed to macsupport@blizzard.com.

JollyRogers
Nov 26, 2008, 12:58 PM
rbarris: Thanks, very cool. My "work" laptop can now play Diablo II while on travel. I dont use battlenet much and will give any fedback if I have any... off to go find the patch.

rbarris
Nov 26, 2008, 01:07 PM
We have uploaded it to macgamefiles.com's file server but it has not yet been published to their downloads page. It should show up today.

jmb667
Nov 26, 2008, 02:08 PM
We have uploaded it to macgamefiles.com's file server but it has not yet been published to their downloads page. It should show up today.

Out-freaking-standing! Thanks for your team being so on-top of this thing! I'll be downloading that tonight when I get home! :D

rbarris
Nov 26, 2008, 04:37 PM
here it is:

http://macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=20233

jmb667
Nov 26, 2008, 09:17 PM
here it is:

http://macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=20233

Works perfectly! Haven't tried LAN connectivity yet, but single player is great! Thanks!!!

Chicane-UK
Nov 27, 2008, 05:05 AM
Wonderful! I'm so thrilled that Blizzard are still supporting this, even on the 'underdog' platform. Thankyou so much.. can't wait to get home and try this out :)

KingNothing13
Nov 27, 2008, 09:54 AM
Awesome!!!!

betomax
Dec 5, 2008, 11:01 PM
I've also had D2X crash on equipping certain magic items. I think I noticed that the commonality was that the offending items gave +n to some skill where my character would be otherwise unable to have n+1 points in that skill.

e.g. I have say 5 unallocated skill points for a lvl 24 character. I'm eligible to put 1 point in a lvl 24 skill, can't add more unallocated points due to character lvl. The reward item for killing Nilithak (sp?) in act V gives +3 to the same lvl 24 skill. Equipping the item crashes the game.

This is in single player mode, no mods/hacks, Mac version 1.12 or whatever is current.

Does the x3100 patch also fix the issue I described?

Thanks

Bob

Flygontrainer
Dec 6, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have added the beta patch to my Macbook with Intel GMA X3100 and am very pleased to say it works near-flawlessly. I can't seem to get windowed mode to work, but in the overall significance of the matter, I am not going to raise a fuss over such a minor inconvenience.

I would like to give my utmost thanks and kudos to Blizzard- I am, quite honestly, not a "real" gamer myself and it is issues such as developer apathy that contribute to my lack of game purchases (See "Release TF2 for Mac!" for more details). It is a pleasant surprise for me to see a game developer willing to go back and correct games released several years ago to make them compatible with OS quirks.

Thank you, Blizzard's development team, for your outstanding dedication to your customers, and I hope to be able to purchase more games from you in the future.

rbarris
Dec 11, 2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks and you're welcome - from the team.

rteecher
Jan 1, 2009, 10:46 PM
i have downloaded the beta patch for diablo 2 and when i try opening, i get the following message: "diablo 2 has encountered a serious error. Please reinstall diablo 2." I have tried reinstalling Diablo twice before the patch. What am i doing wrong?

bokdol
Jan 2, 2009, 08:02 AM
i have downloaded the beta patch for diablo 2 and when i try opening, i get the following message: "diablo 2 has encountered a serious error. Please reinstall diablo 2." I have tried reinstalling Diablo twice before the patch. What am i doing wrong?

are you trying to run the app straight. or are you coping the app to the diablo folder?

bvramlow
Jan 9, 2009, 07:01 PM
hey rbarris how far along is that final patch??? lol im sorry but damn im a hardcore gamer and i just sold my ps3 due to lack of money and the only game i need/want to play is diablo II but solo single player just doesnt do it for me... i get bored after like ten minutes but online i can play 23 hours a day...... i love my mac but not being able to play diablo 2 almost makes me want to throw it off of a building...

I WAS AN EMPIRE
Jan 24, 2009, 09:20 PM
Can you make one of these for LOD? this got my diablo 2 working but i still cant install the expansion and play. Thank you

HolyGRUNTY 101
May 8, 2009, 11:30 PM
If you are encounter an error message saying "diablo 2 has encountered a serious error and has to shut down", you put the beta patch in the wrong area, and i have LOD and am running it fine. Put the beta patch folder into the D2LOD-1.12A-enUS folder (it might be called a little different for you, but it should say D2LOD in it somewhere) the pull out ONLY the "Diablo II BETA-for-X3100 (Carbon)" file from within the Diablo 2 X3100 BETA folder and put it in the Diablo 2 folder , but not in either the logs file, D2LOD-1.12A-enUS file, or D2-1.12A-enUS file. In short, if you go to applications, diablo 2, and click diablo 2's folder, you should immediatly see "Diablo II BETA-for-X3100 (Carbon)" file without going into more files. APPLICATIONS > DIABLO 2 > Diablo II BETA-for-X3100 (Carbon) If you got a permanent black screen upon boot up, and had to restart your computer to rid yourself of it, you have to go to the Diablo II BETA-for-X3100 (Carbon) options (it shows upon start up) and hit configure video. on the first page it asks you if you want software or OpenGL video modes. Choose software, then continue through the rest of the tests for best results.
6 + hours of searching finnally got me able to play single player!!! Now, the waiting game for B.Net.....

UK12
Jul 29, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hey rbarris,

Any news on that final patch?

The beta patch works great for single player and LAN games, however I'd really like to be able to use Battle.net.

Currently, when I attempt to connect to Battle.net, I receive the message: "Unable to identify application version"

From what I gather from the numerous forums I have scoured, the problem is that X3100 does not support 256 color.

Will this problem be remedied in the final patch, and when will said patch be available?

Thank you