PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Apple Hint of a 3 button mouse...

ZildjianKX
Jun 20, 2003, 06:39 PM
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71108/wo/fx39FxQEUdA530bGiO82lzXZ2xz/1.3.0.5.8.3.25.13.0

Anyone notice anything funny about the system requirements?

Power Mac G4 or PowerBook G4 with 800MHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor; or Xserve with 1GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor
Mac OS X v10.2.5
QuickTime 6.1 or later
256MB of RAM or more
1GB of disk space for caching and temporary files
Graphics card with at least 32MB of video memory and OpenGL hardware acceleration
Display with 1280-by-1024-pixel resolution and 24-bit color
Three-button mouse
AJA or Digital Voodoo card required for previewing on a broadcast video monitor

This would be the first time that Apple's first-party software would require hardware that they didn't make... so... three-button mice with your G5 anyone?

unc32
Jun 20, 2003, 06:49 PM
That has been there ever since Apple bought Shake. Not new.

Ensign Paris
Jun 20, 2003, 06:51 PM
I believe we have seen this in the past, can't remember when though, back a while, Shake has always required 3 buttons I believe, even before Apple purchased it.

I wouldn't expect a 3 buttoned mouse at this point (certainly hope not anyway!)

Ensign

Sun Baked
Jun 20, 2003, 06:56 PM
Gotta love people thinking that's a hint, when it's been a software requirement for a long time.

People ask for a two-button mouse, but will whine about it not having a scroll wheel.

Add a scroll wheel and they'll whine about it not being blue tooth.

Give them what they want and the resellers will whine that people are no longer buying their uber rodents, and they're losing money.

Wake up and smell the coffee...

Daveman Deluxe
Jun 20, 2003, 07:03 PM
I have a three-button mouse. What's wicked-cool is that if I middle-click on a link in Safari, the link opens in a new tab behind the current one. Those with scroll wheels might try clicking the scroll wheel to see if that works as well.

Another thing: all UNIX workstations/terminals running a windowing system require a three-button mouse. That, amont other things (the "Sun" logo on the side was key), tipped me off that the catalog computers in the university library are really UNIX running X11 or a similar windowing software.

In other news, yes, that three-button mouse has been a requirement of Shake for awhile.

Just trying to disseminate useful information all around.

Nermal
Jun 20, 2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I have a three-button mouse. What's wicked-cool is that if I middle-click on a link in Safari, the link opens in a new tab behind the current one. Those with scroll wheels might try clicking the scroll wheel to see if that works as well.

Yeah, it does. And it's very useful.

Abstract
Jun 20, 2003, 07:34 PM
Yeah, useful. You hear that, Jobs? Huh? Did you hear that?
;)

ZildjianKX
Jun 20, 2003, 08:38 PM
Sorry guys... I never saw the mouse requirement in Shake 2... and you know Shake 3 just shipped today ... and you know what Monday is.