PDA

View Full Version : Ouch. Halo Demo on a MB.

Myth
Apr 30, 2007, 11:11 PM
So I downloaded the demo of Halo to test out on my new MB, 160 gb hard drive, 2 gb ram, and I was a bit surprised to see it suck so badly.

Even on the lowest settings it was very choppy. Nothing else was running, either. Is this a demo-specific or OS X specific problem?

SkyBell
Apr 30, 2007, 11:15 PM
So I downloaded the demo of Halo to test out on my new MB, 160 gb hard drive, 2 gb ram, and I was a bit surprised to see it suck so badly.

Even on the lowest settings it was very choppy. Nothing else was running, either. Is this a demo-specific or OS X specific problem?

Really? I run the full version on my Mini(see signiture for specs (same graphics card)) but with only 512 MB RAM, often acompined by iTunes. And it runs great.

Sounds like a bad installation, or theremight be something up with you MacBook.

...I'm going to wait for more experianced people to suggest a fix, because if I do, I know I'll screw it up :o

dukebound85
Apr 30, 2007, 11:16 PM
yea it runs great on mine as well and i have a 2ghz cd and 1.5gigs for my macbook

you sure you are using the UB version?

Zwhaler
May 1, 2007, 12:03 AM
I have every single setting on Full on my loaded imac and it runs great. Well, all settings except lens flare on High instead of Extreme. I do get all the fancy 9x AA though :) Perhaps you arent using the UB verison.

dpaanlka
May 1, 2007, 12:33 AM
You have a PowerPC-only version of Halo. I do not know if there is a UB demo of Halo.

Eric5h5
May 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
I do not know if there is a UB demo of Halo.

Nope. The full version has a UB but you have to pay $5 for it. It was just updated last week, too, so it works better. The UB was pretty slow on PPC compared to the PPC-only version, but the new patch probably brings the UB PPC performance back up to normal levels. And the lens flare slow-down is apparently fixed...again.

--Eric

Rollershapple
May 1, 2007, 09:09 PM
hmm it runs decent on my G3 iBook. What are your guys names on the demo version? Maybe we can have 133t pwnage fest ;)

SkyBell
May 1, 2007, 09:37 PM
hmm it runs decent on my G3 iBook. What are your guys names on the demo version? Maybe we can have 133t pwnage fest ;)

Wait, it runs well on your iBook? I was contemplating putting it on mine (same specs)

Does it jump a lot or stuff? I just assumed it couldn't run it...:o

Rollershapple
May 1, 2007, 10:18 PM
Your cassie from M-F right? Im rollershoer4mac! I made your sig banner thingy. Anyways, yes it runs decent on my ibook, with all settings low and running it in a window. Its a little laggy at times but thats my internet connections fault ;) Im running 10.3.9 though if it makes a difference.

SkyBell
May 1, 2007, 10:23 PM
Your cassie from M-F right? Im rollershoer4mac! I made your sig banner thingy. Anyways, yes it runs decent on my ibook, with all settings low and running it in a window. Its a little laggy at times but thats my internet connections fault ;) Im running 10.3.9 though if it makes a difference.

Why, yes, I am Cassifire on M-F. Sorry I didn't recignize you there, I just browse MR more then MF so I know the members here better.:):o Thanks for the banner!

That's nice to know that it can run, but I'm running 10.4.8, so It'll probably be even slower.:) Oh well, I'll try it anyway.:apple:

Rollershapple
May 1, 2007, 10:30 PM
haha well good luck. I never said it ran slow on my ibook, just make sure the settings are to low and your not in full screen.

dpaanlka
May 1, 2007, 11:48 PM
hmm it runs decent on my G3 iBook

Your iBook has a PowerPC processor.

thejadedmonkey
May 2, 2007, 12:55 AM

How did you do this? I tried running Halo on my G4 mini and it was such a horrible experience!

zeedee-h
May 2, 2007, 05:34 AM
weird cause my friend just got a new macbook with 1gb ram and we were playing LAN fine

applekid
May 2, 2007, 09:05 AM
How did you do this? I tried running Halo on my G4 mini and it was such a horrible experience!

Your definition of playable differs from these people.

Running Halo on an iMac G4 with everything turned down was a slideshow averaging about 10-15 FPS. Running the original non-UB version on my iMac Core Duo was still a slideshow but at least looked better. A Mac Mini or iBook G3 is not going to get 30 FPS. Even a MacBook running the retail UB version might be iffy. And there's no way the demo can run at 30 FPS if my iMac Core Duo couldn't handle it.

I don't find Halo "playable" unless you are getting a steady 30 FPS at the beginning of Silent Cartographer. My MacBook Pro can only keep the frames a steady 30 FPS at 1024 x 768 with everything else turned up. The game is beautiful at higher resolutions, but it's too choppy to be enjoyable.

Rollershapple
May 2, 2007, 11:25 AM

Haa i turned all the settings to low and ran it in a window, it gets laggy sometimes when people are being shee noobs=]:apple:

Rollershapple
May 2, 2007, 11:31 AM
Your guys expectations are way to high for a game. I dont care if its choppy at times or its not running 30fps, its still enjoyable.

dpaanlka
May 2, 2007, 12:27 PM
weird cause my friend just got a new macbook with 1gb ram and we were playing LAN fine

Did you even read the thread?