PDA

View Full Version : FCP 64 bits?

P-Worm
Jun 22, 2003, 10:22 AM
Is it possible that FCP was secretly optimized for the 970s behind our backs. Sure it has AltiVec, but more speed never hurt anyone.

I personaly can not afford a new machine. I'll probably get one in about 3 years. Meanwhile my Dual 1 Ghz Quicksilver is still chugging along.

P-Worm

Freg3000
Jun 22, 2003, 10:37 AM
I doubt it is, but why do you make a little wager on it?

http://www.flyonthemac.com/index.php?action=view_rumor&rumor_id=140

I love that place. :)

P-Worm
Jun 22, 2003, 10:52 AM
Hey thanks for the link Freg3000. That is pretty funny. I bet on Final Cut Pro being enabled and demoed tomorrow. Probably not, but it's ok to bet on hopes when it is not real money right?

P-Worm

Falleron
Jun 22, 2003, 11:07 AM
I doubt it is fully 64 bit compliant now. However, I reckon that a small update will become available to make it possible to take advantage of the the 64bits. I bet some work has already been done on it.

e-coli
Jun 22, 2003, 11:26 AM
That "small update" would be several gigs. They'd have to replace nearly all the program files with ones written in 64 bit code.

Falleron
Jun 22, 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by e-coli
That "small update" would be several gigs. They'd have to replace nearly all the program files with ones written in 64 bit code.
You dont think that some of the work may have already been done? I do.

P-Worm
Jun 22, 2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Falleron
You dont think that some of the work may have already been done? I do.

That's what i am getting at. In fact, I think that nearly all of the work has been done. Tomorrow is going to be exciting on so many levels.

P-Worm

Rezet
Jun 22, 2003, 07:09 PM
I'll see what you all gonna say if there is no 970 introduced tomorrow nor anything that you consider "exciting".
All these speculations are based on nothing.
Like they say: "It's better hope for worst and get something good then hope for good and get something bad."

Wyrm
Jun 22, 2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by e-coli

Technically no. The user PPC instruction set is identical between 32 and 64 bits. Only doing things like loading a 64 bit pointer, or doing explicit 64 bit math are different. I doubt most of the OS needs to be "re-written" anyways. Only some parts of the kernel, device drivers, or anything that needs a wide open memory space would need to have any changes.

The biggest gain would be a recompile, since the 970 scheduler is pretty whacky (5 slot group, 3rd is a branch or something like that) - but this is not necessary. 1.2 Jaguar should run perfectly fine with a few tweaks here and there for support of new devices (including the chipset).

-Wyrm

Wyrm
Jun 22, 2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Rezet
I'll see what you all gonna say if there is no 970 introduced tomorrow nor anything that you consider "exciting".
All these speculations are based on nothing.
Like they say: "It's better hope for worst and get something good then hope for good and get something bad."

Apple pretty much confirmed the rumors with their "slip" of the G5 specs. Beyond being a little more than expected, the rumors have been pretty accurate so far. Of course, only a few more hours to wait.

-Wyrm