Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenfavre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2007
I've created a smart playlist for my daily workout. But when I plug my iPod in after my workout, iTunes immediately builds a new playlist overwriting the current one. Is there a way to avoid this? I want to tell it when to rebuild the smart playlist (by manually deleting the songs from the playlist and having it build a new one). Also, about 1 in 10 times I'll turn my iPod on and my workout playlist will be nothing close to what I had just created in iTunes. Sometimes it'll be just a few songs of the iTunes playlist and other times it's been so far off it's songs I didn't even remember I had in my library.

Long story short, I want to have a smart playlist based on the criteria I've selected and never have iTunes change it unless I specifically tell it to. Possible :confused:

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I thought that was the default behaviour, though I use my iPod on Manual now with my laptop as not having music on the hard drive is useful

jenfavre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2007
Thanks for your response. That's unfortunate if it's truly the default behavior. I used to manually manage my music, but then I would end up with duplicates when a song was part of a playlist and an album. Can't win either way, I guess!

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Would turning off "Live Updating" when creating the playlist work? Then, when you need it to repopulate, just check that again? I don't know if that would work...but thought I'd throw it out there.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I have the opposite problem. I want some way of recomputing a random smart playlist, not just once a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.